MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Grace&Violets

Good news for Denver urban homesteaders...

Denver approves measure to allow chickens, goats in yards

DENVER - If you live in Denver, you could soon wake up to goats, chickens and ducks in your neighbor's yard.

Monday night, the Denver City Council passed a proposal that will allow residents to have up to six food-producing animals on their property.

Of those six animals, there can only be a maximum of two goats.

Supporters pushed for the bill for the opportunity to produce food, such as eggs, but opponents say Denver is not rural enough for farm animals.

The bill passed on a 7 to 3 vote.

http://www.9news.com/news/local/article/204193/346/Denver-approves-measure-to-allow-chickens-goats-in-yards-

That is great news! It should be a no-brainer for all urban areas. I'd love to have a couple of goats.

I go back and forth on the subject of goats. I don't think that I really want to milk, but then I think about all of the cheese that I could make...(sigh). I do think that if I had a couple of nigerians, my neighbors would assume that they were dogs!

Wow....that's odd. Good, for responsible/educated livestock owners but weird for a meto area like Denver. Wonder how the bill actually reads. :shrug:

\

Hey, Martian....if you are thinking of Nigerians, know this: They have different "voices". Some are gutteral; a very low-tone bleating. Like someone clearing their throat. Then....there are the others. We say some of mine "sing LOUD BAD opera"! :rolleyes: Choose the gutteral voices cuz they don't carry clear across the countryside. My new goat [giving birth soon...I think/I hope] has a gutteral voice. I'm still running 3/2 in favor of the 'opera singers'.

And don't forget that 6-8% cream content. They give exceptionally rich milk.

MtRider [popping in while the Internet and my computer seem to be temporarily on speaking terms :rolleyes: ]

Aha....found a bit more info:

http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/28306885/detail.html

DENVER -- Denver's City Council approved new rules on Monday allowing more food-producing animals in the city limits.

Denver previously allowed residents to have chickens in their back yards, but some residents complained that the permit process was lengthy and costly.

Under the new ordinance, residents pay a $20 licensing fee to have food-producing animals including fowl (chickens, ducks) that produce eggs, and dwarf goats that produce milk.

Residents will be limited to eight chickens/ducks (no roosters or drakes) and two dwarf goats and any number of their offspring younger than six months. Male animals would be prohibited primarily to minimize noise and odor impacts.

To get a license for a backyard farm animal, contact the Denver environmental health department at 303-698-0076.

So it IS just the dwarf goats....a decent choice for urban areas. HEYYYYYYY, I think I'll go into breeding Nigies and export over to Denver folks!!! :band2: As for male goat aroma...this is a true thing. Minimized with the Niggies but still definitely there. Perhaps a visiting buck service too?

And no crowing (or...cock-fighting) roosters.....Decent enough restriction. But um, :busted: don't they know that the drakes [male ducks] have only a hissing voice and the females (yes, it's true ladies) are the loud cackling voice in ducks? 'Course if the drakes aren't always chasing them around, the females might be quieter.... ;)

Very interesting ordinance. Wonder if other cities will follow? Years ago, Seattle allowed the Niggies in back yards.

Y'know Denver is the city that banned ALL Pitbull dogs and other 'fighting' dogs a few years back. Some folks moved out of the city limits. Some dumped their dogs on shelters around the state. Kind made a mess for a while.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

LOL, that is so true, Drakes are much quieter than Ducks!

Mini LaManchas are quiet and tiny and cute and give lots of milk. Most seem to have better teats than Nigerians.