MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

PBS Homesteading Series Online

I have posted this in the past but since I came across it again I thought I would post it again for those who may have never seen it.

This is a 6 episode series about 3 families who went back to live in the 1880's on a homestead and how they survived doing EVERYTHING as it was done back then.

It is now on youtube. Each of the 6 episodes has multiple parts. Each part automatically follows the last one..

I LOVE this series and am watching it for the 3rd time now.

Enjoy!

This youtube channel ( Moosegeek123) has other "house" series also. I have not yet watched any of them though.

Episode 1, Part 1 of Frontier House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfUgTWJ4ngE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

if you like the PBS specials like Frontier house, 1900 house and 1940's house then go looking for the one made before these that was 2 couples, in canada and they had to go and then start nothing was really done for them......they did not really have lessons taught to them and no houses or barn built for them ...and they were there from wet, snowy spring till after the snow flew...to me it is better.....it is called" pioneer quest" or prairie quest......it is on line where you can buy it

take care and keep the faith and god bless ya

• 2 years later...

Bumping this to the top - I'll try to find and post the other stuff mentioned on YouTube, too... (IF my lilDD ever lets me on my very own 'puter tonight! :pc_coffee: )

I have posted this in the past but since I came across it again I thought I would post it again for those who may have never seen it.

This is a 6 episode series about 3 families who went back to live in the 1880's on a homestead and how they survived doing EVERYTHING as it was done back then.

It is now on youtube. Each of the 6 episodes has multiple parts. Each part automatically follows the last one..

I LOVE this series and am watching it for the 3rd time now.

Enjoy!

This youtube channel ( Moosegeek123) has other "house" series also. I have not yet watched any of them though.

Episode 1, Part 1 of Frontier House

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfUgTWJ4ngE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Both of us watched and enjoyed.

He/She's got a lot of great stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/user/moosegeek123

Frontier House - FULL SERIES

Manor House (Edwardian Country House) - FULL SERIES

Texas Ranch House - FULL SERIES (?)

Both of us also watched Texas Ranch House ... and both of us spent alot of time really "venting" over the "owners" arrogance!

Yep, it was Jeepers and Homesteader ....not me. :lol: Cuz I haven't had a TV in twenty years.....I'm not up on these things.

MtRider :wave:

I never saw them on TV. I found them all on Youtube. Free! Just in my price range.

I'm saving some of the series for wintertime watching when things slow down.

Yep, it was Jeepers and Homesteader ....not me. :lol: Cuz I haven't had a TV in twenty years.....I'm not up on these things.

MtRider :wave:

I never saw them on TV. I found them all on Youtube. Free! Just in my price range.

I'm saving some of the series for wintertime watching when things slow down.

Is this just a "rural reality"???? But even Youtube is not free. It costs in ....er, bandwidth? If that's the right term. We don't pay for anything but the basic package. At this point, DH's new part-time job (all reporting to and from office, all webinar training, etc is done over Internet) is taking so much that I'm having trouble even getting on my email if he's working. So.....I never watch whole episodes of anything on Youtube. Some short things but I've only watched one whole TV program and it did eat up a noteworthy portion.

MtRider -- if you go over your allotment, ya go back to dial-up speeds :yar:

I didn't know the Internet worked that way for some people. Mine is unlimited Wi-Fi. I assumed all Internet was unlimited. :blush:

Most of the shows are divided up into parts. Some of the parts can be an hour long though. Most of the shows take a modern day family and have them live just like the people did in whatever era they are supposed to represent. They have to dress like they used to and live in a house set up just like it was back then. They have to learn to survive using the 'old fashion' appliances and gadgets etc. I remember one show (can't remember which series) where they had no electricity and had to use an old wood stove, flat irons and doing laundry for them was a nightmare. They were taught how to do things but putting it into practice was a different story. Come to think of it, in most of the series, one of the worst chores for a woman was wash day. There is quite a bit if whining going on too. They have to stay for a couple of months full time. People don't realize how hard it was back then...whenever when was.

Never heard of going overtime on youtube....unless you have your channel. We don't have cable, satellite etc., we are strictly wifi and we watch free hulu, youtube, news stations that have live feeds etc., history channel's free shows & national geographic freebies.

:scratchhead: ....see, and I don't understand what y'all urban people are saying.

Out here amongst the granite hills, ridges, mountains, our Internet providers are either dial-up or satellite. Often a package deal of Internet thru your TV satellite...but we don't have TV and being between ridges, couldn't find a company with a satellite in that little wedge of sky we get. Several companies came out to try but couldn't get it from here. [also no cell service, naturally]

Doubt anyone could even load a page of the Internet by now if they were on dial-up. Towards the end, I could NOT even load MrsS.

Then came along some govt. program ....reminiscent of the Rural Electric program. [in which the govt program paid to run the infrastructure out to areas in rural America so they could have electricity like city folks did...but my grandfather already invented/installed an electricity-producing device on the windmill.....]

ANYway, 3 (?) years ago, the govt made a deal and those of us who were still trying to use a failing dial-up system to access the Internet were allowed to sign up. The cost per month was reasonable and it can't be raised if you don't drop the service and try to come back. :hapydancsmil::cele::happy0203: DH and I couldn't believe what you could do with this satellite connection. I'd never even seen a Youtube before then....couldn't.

However, the what-ever-unit-of-measure is limited. [bandwidth???] Things like streaming video use up a LOT of this "whatever". Any video - including Youtube, "Talk Radio" -which is now TV, or any moving pictures use up a lot too, but not as much as "real time" vid.

Complicated websites will do that too.....ones with high security and antivirus stuff ....that's what DH's job uses for their confidentiality.

With what we pay, there is a limit to how much "whatever" we can use. If we exceed that during a month's time, you don't lose your Internet service entirely, but your speed of processing drops down. And most websites are too complex for that speed to load. I have MrsS set at the SIMPLIFIED BLUE setting. So even if I can't get Yahoo mail to load (with all their danged advertisements that jump around in video and block the view of your email) , I can usually get to MrsS. :hi:

Doesn't have anything to do with YouTube directly....just that it uses too much "whatever" if I'd watch too much.

I have no idea how it works "in town".....

MtRider -- these programs sound REALLY interesting tho! I saw a couple with similar format back in ancient days when we still had TV.

Mt.R...do you have your pop-up blocker turned on? This helps alot to block all that junky advertising. As for watching youtube, we watch it all the time. Just started watching the series of Mountain Men, and it's very intriguing to see how "rough living" it can be for those who live in the wilderness areas.