MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

PBS Homesteading Series Online

I may or may not be older than a lot of you. But we were brought up from scratch, lived off of what we had,

washed with a wringer washer until I was 31, hung out out my clothes for all but maybe 2-3 years of my life.

Recently,the last two -three months , with a washer that was working sporadically then not at all, I started

washing by hand. I had done so when I first moved here because the house was being worked on

(repair/rebuilding that was not planned in the purchase decision ) but now without a washer I am washing

everything by hand.

Yes i could buy another washer....but I have no faith in these modern conveniences that last for one year then fall apart....

My washer has a 10 year warranty on the transmission, 2 years all over,... two years and the washer is dead! It is

not the transmission so i am out of luck.

But if power goes down completely, ....you talk about generators, they take fuel and yes some of you are

storing fuel, not gas I think ,, but anyway, some of these work methods you see on these totally off grid-

NO power farms - as 100 years ago- not counting windmills, and stream turbines/generators, may very well come in handy.

We have become soft, in expecting everything made easier for us..............all of this can be taken away.... ALL

...yep, pop up blocked.

Twilight...agreed. Have made several choices to not purchase or not replace. But....I :wub: my washer. Dryer, I can live without but hand washing is very labor intensive. I've done it. Still pre=wash gardening clothing and hand wash with bucket and plunger in the shower.

Exactly why I love these shows. It's research, not entertainment. :)

MtRider :clothesline:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Coal House set in late 1920's and Coal House War Time (around 1944) were excellent series. I liked the 1920's a bit better as the family struggles were more like pioneers. The series set around 1944 talked more about missing make-up, clothes, etc.

Since part of my family were miners from Wales, the series was especially personal to me. Now I know why they immigrated in the mid-1800's. B)

I may or may not be older than a lot of you. But we were brought up from scratch, lived off of what we had,

washed with a wringer washer until I was 31, hung out out my clothes for all but maybe 2-3 years of my life.

Recently,the last two -three months , with a washer that was working sporadically then not at all, I started

washing by hand. I had done so when I first moved here because the house was being worked on

(repair/rebuilding that was not planned in the purchase decision ) but now without a washer I am washing

everything by hand.

Yes i could buy another washer....but I have no faith in these modern conveniences that last for one year then fall apart....

My washer has a 10 year warranty on the transmission, 2 years all over,... two years and the washer is dead! It is

not the transmission so i am out of luck.

But if power goes down completely, ....you talk about generators, they take fuel and yes some of you are

storing fuel, not gas I think ,, but anyway, some of these work methods you see on these totally off grid-

NO power farms - as 100 years ago- not counting windmills, and stream turbines/generators, may very well come in handy.

We have become soft, in expecting everything made easier for us..............all of this can be taken away.... ALL

Love my Wonder Washer! I've used it and know that I have to wash more often, but it's there if I need it. I just set it in my tub, set on the tub's edge and away we go! The only way I have to wring them out right now is a piece of plywood and my rolling pin. Would love to have a wringer but they cost over $100 most places and if you find one used the rollers are rotted. I've only seen a couple of wringers that were old enough to have wood rollers but they're considered antiques and they want an arm and leg+ for them. I also have an umbrella clothesline that I adore!

still use and LOVE our wringer washer! bought used 15 years ago from a lady that had it forever so we are happy. It runs on electric now but has the pully to hook up to a motor is needed. Also have a few stand along wringer that I have on stands or washtubs when we are "pioneering it".

Also have that little guy 'wonder washer' that sits on table - man can that guy wash clothes!

now if you can't find aset of good wringer look in thrift shops etc. for an old mop bucket with the wringers - Just take the top part off and use them. YES I have one of those too. LOL