MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Paradox

When to plant fruit trees

I think... do you plant fruit trees in the fall or the spring? I'm thinking fall, but I'm not sure. We've started caretaking a small orchard that's been rather neglected for a few years, and some of the trees have not survived. Gotta talk to the owners, but I suspect we'll end up replacing them... But when... ?

If I lived in your climate and planted any now, I'd try to give them P and K fertilizer but no extra Nitrogen. If you put something in the ground now and gave it plenty of nitrogen to shoot out lots of new green, how much of that new green will still be soft and vulnerable when your winter freezes hit?

We planed two cherry trees in May and we are in Northwest Indiana (I think the drive is 3 hours give or take to MIL)

Always learned here and in most books it says, plant fruit trees in middle fall. They won't need to use energy to make leaves but will grow roots instead.

Put like that, it kinda makes sense.

I've been told that you must have two of a species of fruit trees in order for them to produce...do you all think that? Where would I perhaps find that info. We don't have a large area and alot of that space is taken up with gardening, pets, outbuildings etc, but I'd love to have an apple tree and a peach tree.

I plant in either fall or spring. Whichever. You don't have to have two of a lot of the new self pollinating trees. I haven't really been able to tell any difference in trees planted in th fall and spring.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.