MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Arrested for growing veggies in yard?

http://foodfreedom.w...her-front-yard/

Glad I am in the country.

Lisa in GA

You know, with this sort of thing (assuming it stands) and the old precedent of Wickard v Filburn 1942, along with the new executive order establishing the "White House Rural Council" we could be in for a new round of government intrusion and take over.

I don't think this is a point of whether or not the homeowner is allowed to grow a garden or not, but rather following the by-laws of the obvious homeowners association she belongs to. When a homeowner belongs to an association in their neighborhood, and pays the dues that accompanies said membership, the association has the right to enforce the by-laws regarding where and how high to put a fence, where gardens can be grown, how they expect your property to be maintained, etc. I lived in such a neighborhood so I am familiar with these laws, but now I don't, and I have every right to plant anything, anywhere I like (within obvious reason of course). Its just a matter of where you live and what you agree to when you move in.

Edited by cootie

I didn't see anything about a Homeowners Association. The way I read it was the city charged her for a code violation, saying the plants in her front yard were "unsuitable".

Lisa in GA

Yeah, city codes stink sometimes but its the responsibility of the citizen to abide by those laws regardless. One can easily check that info before deciding to move to that area. There are just as many areas that allow front yard gardens. She's not going to win this case.

Edited by cootie

I believe its nothing more than an ABUSE OF POWER from govt. officials of their own opinion only. Julie Bass now has WORLDWIDE support. We're Canadians and this is what my daughter wrote to the city officials.

Mr. Rulkowski,

Drop your ridiculous charges against Julie Bass immediately. Your arrogance and bullying tactics have made you a laughing stock around the world. Not only is the entire issue about growing a garden in the front yard just plain stupid, but you couldn't even get your dictionary definitions correct. You are abusing your power and wasting Oak Park's money and time.

My daughter just wrote me--she had signed a petition about this and then decided to email. This was her reply to me:

Even if you just say something similar to me, make sure you email!!! Someone posted that she called and got his assistant who told her that he was "inundated with calls". I really wanted to emphasize (especially to the mayor and the city manager) how downright STUPID this Rulkowski looks and all the bad publicity this has and will cause. The petition was at like 21K I think when I signed. I'm not sure. The more people who publicize this, the better.

Here are the emails to send it to:

krulkowski@ci.oak-park.mi.us

CC: rfox@ci.oak-park.mi.us; gnaftaly@att.net

I sent an email also. This is not about the garden in the front lawn as much as it is about freedoms being withheld. Mrs Obama at the Whitehouse, one of the most public places you can find,,,,has a vegetable garden on the lawn where everyone can see it. Other presidents in the past have had them as well. A few of our presidents were avid gardeners. During the war and just recently we citizens have been encouraged to grow "victory" gardens and for our health. Our entire nation has set a presedent over the years for having vegetable gardens.

I would bet she didn't sign any contract with the city saying she wouldn't grow a tomato in her front lawn. Besides, vegetable gardens ARE beautiful! I believe that a lot of cities will be changing some codes as more and more realize that people are starving. Already many have changed to allow chickens, ducks, and small goats. (By the way, years ago they used to run sheep on the white house lawn!)

If Oak Park continues to make an issue of this I look for it to spark a revolution among gardeners and there are a LOT of us out there. Now how would that look in the news?

"Military called out to put down insurrection by gardeners!!!!!!"

"Martial law inacted. Curfew: no one in yards after 8 pm or before 6 am, to keep them from planting vegetables secretly." :grinning-smiley-044:

:bighug2:

:laughkick: "...curfew...." {giggle} Guerrilla Gardeners? :ph34r:

In Urban forum there is great news in Denver's new laws: limited poultry and 2 dwarf or mini milking goats. :cheer:

MtRider [also really glad to stay outta the city tho!!]

Edited by Mt_Rider
smilie goofed

My friend and I were talking about this situation last night....she made mention of the fact that the reason it is a mistake to put a veggie garden in the front yard is bcz of thievery. And this is so true! I'm not sure if it was this forum or another one I am on, that someone said they had lost their veg..and also outdoor decorations..flower planters, etc..Just by being in the front yard. I'm in the country on a dead end road so this would not even occur to me. We have neighbours that wouldn't think once of stealing but when you're in the city, its easy pickings on a front yard, just feet/yards from the sidewalk.

I would bet she didn't sign any contract with the city saying she wouldn't grow a tomato in her front lawn. Besides, vegetable gardens ARE beautiful! I believe that a lot of cities will be changing some codes as more and more realize that people are starving. Already many have changed to allow chickens, ducks, and small goats. (By the way, years ago they used to run sheep on the white house lawn!)

Vegetable gardens really are beautiful... Mine isn't, but that's beside the point! I posted about my trip to the gardens at Cornell University. I was editing the photos last night and they were a beautiful mix of veggies, herbs and flowers. They even had different plots to represent different eras. Since my photos might be used to illustrate articles, I don't think that I should post them. Here is a link to the Cornell Plantations website:

http://www.cornellplantations.org/gallery/209

• 3 weeks later...

I used to live very near this city before we moved to the country. I wasn't surprised to read about this story. In her city and those around her, the government is very corrupt and it's all about control, the control that the city has to have things their way,, and, how many fines they can impose of the residents of their city. It doesn't make sense, I know. But it's true.

We went around and around with the city we previously lived in. We actually got a citation for a weed being over 6 inches tall ( yes, they indeed did have a tape measure and yes, it was only one weed). We are pretty level headed and not known to be unreasonable. We could not deal with our city, nobody who worked for the city cared. That ended up being a $200 fine. The topper was when they wanted us to make sure our kids toys were lined up neatly, otherwise we would get a citation for that.

We ended up moving to the country, the house now stands vacant. It has now for almost two years. We were so frustrated by not being able to deal with our city that we just up and left. Now, two years later we have a friend who wants to move in our old house, he lost his a few months ago and he can stay in our old house for free. He contacted the city to get an occupancy permit, they said they just wanted the house occupied and couldn't imagine why the "previous owners" moved. They will never learn.

It all worked out for the best. We moved to the country, our needy friend will have a roof over his head, and after reading this story, it makes me really glad we no longer have to deal with the city!

I can believe this poor lady had this problem, she has the right idea, but just lives in the wrong city.

I'm all for urban agriculture and urban homestead myself. But 99% of these types of stories are people who are knowingly breaking laws and throwing a little fit that they got caught. Checking to see if you can turn your front yard into a garden is no different that checking fencing height and setback ordinances. This one had some grey area yes...but what it all comes down to is she wasn't sure, she checked with city hall and they told her no, did it anyway, got caught and warned, kept doing it and got ticketed, ignored the tickets and made it worse.

I, for one, have every intention of being a law abiding citizen and good example of urban homesteading. I really don't appreciate urban homesteaders being in the news all the time as criminals and nuisances. And really hate that this is how the public learns of us and sees us.

I'm all for urban agriculture and urban homestead myself. But 99% of these types of stories are people who are knowingly breaking laws and throwing a little fit that they got caught. Checking to see if you can turn your front yard into a garden is no different that checking fencing height and setback ordinances. This one had some grey area yes...but what it all comes down to is she wasn't sure, she checked with city hall and they told her no, did it anyway, got caught and warned, kept doing it and got ticketed, ignored the tickets and made it worse.

I, for one, have every intention of being a law abiding citizen and good example of urban homesteading. I really don't appreciate urban homesteaders being in the news all the time as criminals and nuisances. And really hate that this is how the public learns of us and sees us.

Well, when we lived in town I would not have dreamed of calling the city to see what kinds of plants I could grow in my front yard which is what this realy is. There are a LOT of unrealistic laws that have been overturned because people rightly knew that the laws were not right and didn't obey the government that worked for them. Some civil rights laws come to mind.

If they say that you cannot raise vegetables at all in the city, will you do away with your garden?