MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Christy

There's a lesson I won't forget in a hurry

A valuable lesson at that. Being not hungry is not enough, withdrawal is a nasty thing.

Now the (relatively) good news. Crippled with returning migraines for over two weeks , I was nearly ready to offer the hangman my neck a few times.

In the moments things were a bit better I tried to find a reason for all this. I'm not more than normally stressed out so what can have brought this on?

Suddenly it dawned. After creaking a seam in a pair of trousers I decided to lose weight. I rarely eat fastfood, am low on salt intake, live fairly healthy just a penchant for chocolate and cakes. Can't blame it all on the steroids although they make me hungry 24/7.

So like a good little trooper I cut down on chocolates ate.

And then it hit me. (where is that lightbulb smilie?) I never drink coffee, nor alcohol, no drugs, no Red Bull, very boring in fact.

But I do cherish my chocolate.

On closer examination, I realised the only source of caffeine was chocolate or a little in Earl Grey tea.

And suddenly they were gone and BOOM. Head felt like it exploded.

Feeling nausea from migraine meant eating less (me thinking it was at least beneficial to my thighs) but also a circle of more migraine. After re-introducing chocolate into my diet, it slowly eased the pains.

There's a lesson I won't forget in a hurry.

If tshtf now, not just me but nearly everybody else would have to do without certain foods. Not being addicted to anything, mine is a relative light path. Except for the migraines which are no feast lemme tell you.

Up until now I underestimated the consequenses of people's mental and physical well being in relation to absence of said foods. I thought about stroppy kids, moody teenagers, substance users who go ballistic but not the average person who gets hit.

Add stress of shtf to deprivation and physical reactions and voila! Mayhem.

As nasty an experience as it is, apparently I underestimated it on account of me being a straight edge teetotal.

Chocolate won't stay forever but I'm going to stock up next payday on 79%+ chocolate that'll keep the longest.

Oh, poor Christy! That is so not fun! :( I'm sorry you had to go through all those nasty migraines. I've only had two in my life and that was two too many! Thank God for chocolate...I'm glad you were able to figure out your trigger and fix the situation. I think it's a good idea to stock up, but also remember that with any migraine trigger, if you reduce your intake of it very, very gradually, it will make the withdrawal a lot easier.

Good to see you posting... :bighug2:

if you reduce your intake of it very, very gradually, it will make the withdrawal a lot easier.

Nurse? NURSE!!! She's talking about weaning off chocolate. Will you do something about that? :girlneener:

be still my beating heart, TM didn't mean it like that :behindsofa:

coffee black will give you the caffeine you need without the calories, or look for Excedrin aspirin with caffeine....yes one of the Excedrins has caffeine, which is why it helps with caffeine withdrawl migraines.

Excendrine for migraines has the caffine! Its the only thing nonperscription that works for my migraines

OW! Poor Christy! But thank you for pointing out a very good insight. Hooey hitting fan is quite enough to deal with so making sure we don't have some hidden kablooey ready to happen is good advice.

I just got back on Low Carb and found that I am eating too much cheese products too suddenly. Sheeesh! Ain't it always something?

MtRider [Ghirardelli's Intense Dark Midnight Reverie (86% cocao)is Low Carb-legal if you don't eat the whole bar. :yum: ]

Excedrin Tension Headache is acetaminophen with caffeine without the aspirin that is present in Excedrin Migraine. Much gentler on the stomach. I still use Excedrin Migraine sometimes, but have switched primarily to the tension formula and it works just as well IMHO.