MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

When do you pick your lima beans?

And, what do you do with yours?

We just did a few plants in pots. They are producing bean pods. I'd like to dry them. I'm thinking I should pick them so the plants continue to produce.

If you want to dry them, you have to let the beans mature before you pick them. In other words, the pods need to be well filled out. You won't get quite as many beans as when you pick more often, but if you want dried beans, that's what you have to do.

I don't know about lima beans but I know we don't pick soybeans in the field until they've dried way down. When we combine the beans at 13% mositure you can't bite into them with your teeth.

You can pick them, shell them, and eat them fresh. But since you want them dry you have to let them dry on the plant like others have said.

:wormie2:

John

When I dried mine, I let them dry on the vine until the plant was dead. Then I ripped the whole plant out of the ground and put them in my garage to be shelled when I had the time. I watched them to make sure the pods weren't opening too much because I didn't want the beans to drop out on the ground.

I did the same thing with my great northern/soup beans.

:gaah:

Another question about lima beans....When you pick them to eat fresh, how do you prepare them? Not looking for a recipe, DH likes 'em plain with a little butter. It's just the only ones we've ever made were the dried ones from the store. Do the fresh ones need to cook long? I'm getting a little frustrated as I can't seem to find any info on this. Everything I come across is all about leaving them on the plant to dry.

Even leaving them on the plant to dry part is frustrating. I live in a valley with a creek. It's always humid or damp here. So last year leaving them on the plant made them mildew/mold. Even with a dehumidifier going, the basement isn't very dry. Same with the garage. Anyone ever pick them early and put lima beans (out of shell) in their dehydrator?

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

When we would eat them fresh, my mother would cook them with a couple slices of bacon for flavoring. They did't cook near as long as dried ones. As far as putting them in the dehydrator, I would think it should work fine. Look here for info on drying them: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/dry/csu_dry_vegetables.pdf

This does not tell the blanching time but I would use the information on green beans to process limas. Maybe Violet will stop in and tell us what to do.

:wormie2:

John

Edited by WormGuy
Spelling

My mother put them in soup. They didn't cook nearly as fast as the rest of the vegetables. So cook them longer than you would potato or carrot chunks. Just canning fresh ones doesn't cook them enough to make them soft.