MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Healthy cooking for one - on a budget

With my sister, brother-in-law and my niece having just moved away, at the house it is now just me and my parents, all with different eating habits and work schedules, which means for a lot of meals it is fend for yourself.

When it is usually just the three of us, my dad gets supermarket rotisserie chickens, frozen veggies and cans of beans for himself, my mom goes for fast-food and frozen dinners,with leaves me to fend for myself, which, for me, usually means crackers, cookies,and candy bars for dinner.

I have been eating like this to long, and I can tell my body is starting to not like it. I'm trying to think of things that I can have for meals or snacks that are a bit healthier then the junk food that I have been living on for the past several years.

Here are the issues that I find myself running into: In the hot weather the oven if off limits, the the freezer is broken, and will not keep things frozen, and there are very few foods that I do like, When I've listed out what I do like by and look at it does not help me come up with meal plans, especially when I have to consider cost, time for prep and cleanup for only one meal, with no real way of storing leftovers.

When I am out with friends, I do try new things, but have found that there are so few things that I like that I don't all ready eat.

One other issue I have, is if I don't have either snack food are ready to eat food at the house, I have a habit of not eating, even if I have plenty of food that I could prepare. (Which is something I do need to work on)

It can be hard to try to change your entire diet or lifestyle in one fell swoop. I would suggest taking tiny steps first. In my local grocery stores, I often see bags of mixed fresh fruits. Usually 2 types of apples and oranges. One of those would last a while and wouldn't require refrigeration. This would give you something healthier to snack on instead of crackers, cookies and candy.You might want to buy a bag of seedless grapes, a few bananas or some containers of yogurt. Again, this is just to provide healthier options.

When I don't feel like cooking, I usually eat a bowl of cereal. Most of them are fortified with vitamins and minerals and they don't require dirtying up the kitchen. Maybe once per week, you could take the time to prepare a casserole or a small lasagna or something, then you could just heat up a portion in the microwave. This would give you a hot meal for a few days of the week and it would limit the amount of time spent prepping and cleaning in the kitchen. Once the freezer is repaired, you could even freeze individual portions for future meals.

Cooking for one or two is not so hard. Like soup? Get the 6 cup crock pot (about $10), and cook away. (No sense eating thru 4 qts if you don't have to.) A small roast in the crock pot roasts up unbelievably tender, then slice and freeze it if you cant finish it all at once. (To roast in the crock pot, the key is to have something hold the roast up out of the drippings. I use an empty tuna can; crushed balls of aluminum foil work too, as do chunks of carrots. If the roast gets into the drippings it will not be a roast anymore, it will be stew. Still edible, but not what you expected.) Save the drippings though, de-fat in the fridge and you have a start on some new soup the next day. The other thing that works well is small pans. I make mini-meat-loaves by dividing up the 'regular' recipe into muffin-cups, and baking them a shorter time. I can eat one or two mini loaves (or mega meatballs, if you wish...) and freeze the rest for a microwave meal when I don't feel creative. You can find small pie tins, loaf pans, and if you are lucky small cake tins, too. I just ordered a mini electric fry pan, since my husband died, so I can have some of the old recipes, only cut down to one serving. The smaller pans have the added advantages of being usable in a small toaster oven if you don't want to fire up the big oven (also cheaper to heat up a small space rather than a big one). You do not have to eat canned goods or quick foods unless you want to....and it is of course cheaper not to.

Hope this gets your creative juices going, and your mind going "hmmmmm...."

I kept thinking about this all day. We need more info for singles in here. So here is my contribution on cooking for one, complete with my hints and short cuts (long post....warning!)

COOKING FOR ONE (by kappydell)

Single? Widowed? Divorced? Everybody else gone to deer camp? Sick of eating out and craving some ‘real’ food? For whatever reason, cooking small quantity meals can be a nuisance for those who don’t want to eat the same thing for a week at a time. Here are some help for those cooking for one or two.

Tools are different for single’s cooking. Many of my best casseroles serve 6 or more, which means I would either stuff myself (not that I need all that much encouragement to indulge!), eat the same thing for a week, or put it into my already-full freezer (taking up space I would rather save for ice cream). I prefer to down-size the recipes and use smaller pans.

The pans I find most useful are: mini loaf pans (get at least 2), mini pie tins (2), an 8x8 inch square baking pan, a couple glass pie plates (regular size), a set of 3 nesting glass bowls, two glass measuring cups (2 cup and 4 cup), a microwave popcorn popper, an electric skillet (large as I could find), and two crock pots, one 4 quart and one 6 cup size. Glass custard cups are versatile, a 6-cup muffin pan is useful for many things, and so are the small toaster-oven pans. I have some mini pans for round cakes and tube cakes, but I rarely use them. Too much fussing for too little return.

I have not used my full sized stove in years. It heats up the house way too much, and I can microwave for only 1/10th the cost of using the oven, so I microwave most things I would normally cook on the stove top. The glass bowls, pie plates and measuring cups serve as microwave cooking pans – don’t spend extra on special ones except for popcorn if you don’t use the ready-made bags. I like my popcorn less salty, so I have a popper for the micro. The electric skillet is also cheaper to run that that big stove, in that you are only heating a fraction of the space to cook with. Crock pots can be baked in (roasts and baked potatoes in the crock pot are so-o-o decadent) and cheaper than the oven. Crock-pots by design are superb for long simmered soups, stews and bean dishes. I was astonished at how much I saved NOT using the oven at all. For critical baking (I like my homemade bread crusts baked in an oven, not in the bread machine) I have a toaster-oven. It is cheaper than the big oven too, although it does heat up the kitchen some. So these recipes are useful for anyplace without a big stove, like a studio apartment or dorm.

I consider a freezer a must. I have noticed the local grocers have a rotation to what meats they put on sale. One week chickens will be marked down, the next pork, then beef, etc. I buy a family pack and repack in single servings, then freeze. During the course of a month I get a supply of everything at a reasonable price instead of paying extra for single cuts. Look for an extra freezer if at all possible. The little ones go on sale at dorm-room-furnishing time and will save you many times their purchase price. I got my big ones after wheedling a furniture dealer into giving me a hefty price reduction for a scratched one (I got paint, and I’m not afraid to use it). The other was a 10 year old big chest freezer that a person going into a nursing home sold me for $50 cash-and-take-it-away (they aren’t that heavy, just awkward). If someone is moving, make them an offer. They might just decide they would rather sell theirs than move it.

I can just hear some of you saying ” All this stuff is nice, but what if you have no electricity?” You can adapt all these recipes for austere cooking just as you would the bigger ones. OK, my hungry singles. On to the recipes!

Fresh from the oven bread is what many folks dream about. Any bread recipe can be used for singles’ cooking, even in multi-loaf quantities. You don’t really need to use smaller loaf pans for this if you cook in your big oven, but I like the little loaves because they cook up easily in the toaster oven, quietly and cheaply. (They make such cute li’l sandwiches!) I also split the recipe to make homemade dinner rolls, and hamburger buns, and occasionally some focaccia bread. The problem of the aroma letting all your neighbors know you have homemade bread baking I can’t help you with. You may have to use some of your ‘extra’ loaves to placate them. Fresh bread makes wonderful barter items. (My mechanic gives me the employee discount because he and the boys get nice, still-warm, homemade bread and a homemade jar of wild berry jam every time I come by. Even if I’m not getting something fixed just then, I know I will be eventually.)

AUNTIE KATHY’S PLAIN BUT GOOD WHITE BREAD

This makes 2 (1-lb) loaves, 4 mini-loaves, or 16 dinner rolls (I bake in the toaster oven)

1 packets dry yeast

1/4 cup hot tap water (hot enough to put hands in for 5 sec)

1 TB sugar

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 TB lard, shortening, oleo or oil

1 1/2 cups hot tap water (hot enough to put hands in 5 seconds)

1/4 cup sugar

2 TB instant dry milk powder(optional – makes softer, more dense textured bread)

2 1/2 cups white all purpose flour

3 more cups flour (white or other kind)

Dissolve the 1 TB sugar in 1/4 cup hot tap water, then dissolve yeast in it. Set aside. In large bread bowl, combine salt, shortening, 1 1/2 cups hot tap water, dry milk, and remaining sugar. Mix with a hand mixer or beat with a spoon to blend. Add yeast mixture, mix again. Add 5 cups flour, and beat with mixer for 3 minutes, or 6 min by hand (do not shorten the time). Stir in remaining flour by hand. Turn out on a floured board, knead 5 min. (by the clock, do not short the time). Let rest, wash out the large mixing bowl and dry it, then grease it lightly (cooking spray works nicely here).

Put dough in pan, flip to grease the top. Cover with wet, clean towel and let rise in warm place 30 min. Punch down, flip again and let rise again until doubled in size. Remove from pan, punch down on floured board. Knead a few minutes to get out air bubbles (I use a rolling pin to make sure they are all popped). Shape in loaves, put in greased pans. Cover with wet towel again, and let rise until no more than 1 inch higher than the bread pan. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 30-35 minutes for big loaves, 20 min for minis. (If making dinner rolls, then start checking them after 18-20 min.) When done to taste (medium brown and will sound hollow when thumped on bottom) remove from oven. Remove from pans immediately and grease hot loaves (ouch!) or spray with cooking spray (messier but less painful) right away then cool on racks. This final greasing makes a softer crust.

VARIATIONS:

1) You may substitute 3 cups of any exotic flour for 3 cups of white flour (added with the 2nd batch of flour, after the first 3 minute mixer beating). I have tried rye flour, whole wheat flour, cornmeal, oat bran, barley flour, and some mixed grain flours. They made different types of bread but all worked.

2) Foccacia-style bread: Save bread enough for the 8x8 inch pan (2 mini-loaves worth). Grease the 8x8 pan, sprinkle with a TB cornmeal when you put in the dough.

Let rise, then poke all over with fingers to dimple the dough, drizzle lightly with olive oil (pick a good-flavored one) and sprinkle with Italian herbs of your choice and some Parmesan cheese. Bake for 18-20 min but watch it so it doesn’t scorch due to the extra ingredients on top. (Smells like pizza so use caution if that triggers binging.)

3) Dinner rolls: 1/2 recipe makes 12 good size (or 16 small diet size) dinner rolls.

When you form them, grease your hands with butter, margarine, or oil and just shape them round. Bake in a greased 8x8 square or 9-inch round layer cake pan. Watch the first time you bake, especially in a toaster oven, to make sure they don’t scorch.

These make nice fat breadsticks too, rolled in garlic salt and parmesan and baked on a flat pan.

BISCUITS (makes 4-6)

I’ve never had much luck with biscuits. They never have risen very much, even in a

conventional oven for me, so I tend to avoid them. But when I do make them, I use a (homemade) mix and make a half-recipe. After making enough for 4 biscuits, I bake them in my electric frying pan. Spray a frying pan with cooking spray, and heat the pan to medium-high (325-350). Place the rolled and cut biscuits (or drop them in if you are making drop biscuits) in the pan and cover. Bake about 10 minutes (I start checking at 8 min) until browned to suit on the bottom, then flip them over and brown the other side. Like pancakes, they will half-rise each time. You may lower the heat if they are browning so fast they are not getting done inside. After a few tries you will perfect this for your particular pan, and will never heat up the oven for just a couple biscuits again.

NO FAIL PIE CRUST (makes four 9-inch crusts)

I bake my pies generally full sized, as I get lots of takers for pie, and it bakes well in my

large toaster oven. This crust freezes up to 6 months, and keeps refrigerated 8 weeks (the longest I’ve kept them) and I find I can get 2-3 mini-pie crusts out of each regular size one depending on how I roll them. Bake minis for a shorter time, of course.

4 to 4 ½ c sifted flour

1 TB sugar

3 tsp salt

1 ¾ cup shortening (oleo works fine)

1 egg

1 TB white distilled vinegar

1/2 cup water

Sift sugar, flour and salt together into a large bowl. Beat egg in a small bowl; add vinegar and water to egg. Cut shortening into flour mixture using a pastry cutter, two knives, or forks (whatever works to get it evenly crumbly). When evenly mixed in small crumbles, sprinkle with egg mixture and blend well. Gather into a ball. Wrap in plastic and chill at least 30 min before rolling out. Longer is better; this may be frozen as well as refrigerated for quite a while. To pre-bake a crust, roll out 1/4th recipe, put in ungreased pie tin and prick all over with a fork. Bake in preheated 450 degree oven for 12-15 min. Makes a good flavored crust and they freeze up to 6 months and refrigerate up to 4 months, so there is no hurry to use them all up. Just bag them in freezer bags so they don’t dry out.

CRUMBLY TOPPING (French or Dutch Type) FOR FRUIT PIES (for 1 regular or 3 minis)

¾ c flour

½ c sugar

½ c cold, hard margarine

Cut together like pie crust until crumbly. Use to top fruit pies. Lower in calories and fat than a regular crust, but satisfies as well, if not better.

HOW TO BRAISE TOUGHER CUTS OF MEAT IN THE ELECTRIC SKILLET (to save money)

Meat water, tomato juice, broth, beer, etc

Oil or cooking spray onions, mushrooms, celery, etc

Heat oil in the electric skillet (350-375). When skillet is hot, brown meat on all sides (front, back AND edges) until medium brown. Remove meat, leave pot hot and put in liquid of choice. Stir to rub up all the browned bits on the bottom of the skillet from browning the meat. When liquid boils, return meat to skillet, cover and lower heat to simmer (250). Season as desired, but do NOT salt (it toughens the meat). Let simmer for at least 1 hour per each 1 inch thick cut (longer for thicker cuts). Open skillet, add vegetables prepared for cooking. Cover and cook another 20 minutes. Open skillet. If vegetables are cooked, removed to a plate either with the meat or in another bowl (if not cook a little longer). Increase heat of skillet to 350 or so (med high) and stir in a mixture of 2 TB flour mixed with 4 TB water (for each 1 cup of juices) to the pan and stir as it thickens and boils. Cook about 2 minutes, then pour sauce into a bowl for gravy. Salt to taste. This braising (or pot roasting) works well with just about any cut or kind of meat if you think it might be tough. Only the vegetables and liquid used will vary.

HOW TO CUT DOWN RECIPES TO FIT IN YOUR SMALLER CROCK POT

Determine the maximum capacity of the pot is. (Mine is 6 cups to the brim.)

Analyze your recipe and add up the ‘cuppage’ of all the ingredients except the water. Divide so it will fill the pot most of the way (for me, 4 or 5 cups is plenty).

Finally add just enough water so it covers the other ingredients as required, but does not over-fill the pot (if the recipe is supposed to be wetter, you can always add any needed extra hot water when serving).

When you adapt non-crock recipes to put in the crock pot, you will need to cut liquids by 1/3rd to allow for non-evaporation of liquids compared to other cooking techniques, and allow for 3 or 4 times the cooking time.

PASTA WITHOUT A STOVE

I have used the microwave to boil pasta, but it takes just as long and tends to boil over easily. So I boil it in my big electric skillet. Then, while it drains in the colander, I make the sauce in the skillet (using the tomato sauce recipe above and simmering it in the skillet to thicken it instead of the microwave. Then I stir in the pasta and ‘other things’ (usually whatever is in the refrigerator). It doesn’t take any longer, and I have only one pan to wash that way.

ROAST BEEF IN THE CROCK POT

one boneless rolled roast, beef or pork

pepper to taste

Onion powder (no salt!!)

marjoram for beef, savory for pork

The crock pot makes succulent, juicy and tender roasts from cheaper cuts as well as more expensive ones. The critical part is to get the meat up, out of any drippings, and to add NO liquid. It makes the pot act as a mini-oven. Most crock pots do not come with trivets, so I use a cleaned, label-removed, can or two in a standard 4-qt size crock pot. I like the taller cans if I have room enough so the roast can sit atop them with the cover on. If it is too tall, you will need to cover the crock pot with foil instead of the cover. Then set a potholder or folded towel on top to hold in the heat. If you don’t have or can’t find cans to fit, you can wad up some aluminum foil to hold the meat up, or perch it atop some peeled carrot chunks. The carrots will cook in the drippings, so you can eat them too if you like. If by accident the meat gets in the drippings, you it won’t have the texture of an oven roast. (It will be more like pot roast. So call it pot roast. Good either way. )

Rub seasonings of choice on to the roast, set it on the trivet/can/foil/carrots, and cover. Do not use salt at this time, it draws moisture out of the meat and makes it dry. Set to high, then turn the heat down to low after an hour. Cook 8-10 hours depending on roast size and how done you like it. Start the night before for a noon meal the next day, turning the crock down before you go to bed. For best slicing, remove it and wait 5 min or so before cutting. Salt to taste at the table. Juicy and delectable!

BAKED POTATOES IN THE CROCK

(nice for informal dinners – can you say baked potato bar?)

Wash and look over potatoes as usual, removing eyes, etc. Rub with butter if you like, but the skins stay soft so it is optional. Just place the potatoes in a dry crock, and add no liquid. Cover and walk away. Use the foil if they stick up too high. Let cook about 8 hours on low for small spuds, 10 hours for larger ones. Peeking will increase cooking time, so allow for it if you are a peeker like I am. This is especially nice for the summer when you crave a stuffed baked potato but don’t want the kitchen heated up.

MICROWAVE BACON

Take out your glass pie plate and line it with 4 paper towels. Don’t skimp, these will absorb the fat the cooks out. Put in as many bacon slices as you desire, then cover with 4 more paper towels. Microwave on high for 90 seconds per slice of bacon.

Adjust according to your microwave size, this was tested in a 1000 watt oven, and I found I had to cook 2 min per slice in a smaller one. I like this – crisp, hot bacon without the spatter, and fast. For that stuffed baked potato, or sandwich, or Cobb salad, it can’t be beat.

FAT FREE GRAVY IN THE MICROWAVE

This is where you use the glass measuring cup. Take the 2 cup size to make 1 cup gravy, as it boils up some.

1 cup meat broth, bouillon made from cubes, or a combination of liquids (no more

than 50% milk if you want a cream gravy)

2 TB flour or 1 TB cornstarch

pinch of herbs of choice, or 1/8 tsp ground

Combine in a jar and shake it to death to combine completely. OR measure flour or cornstarch into the measuring cup, then slowly blend in water stirring as you go to keep smooth. Place cup in microwave, start it on high, and stand by. You may need to interrupt the cooking if it threatens to boil over, so watch it. Cook on high for 2 minutes or until it starts to boil. Open oven, (shutting off the cooking) and stir well.

Cook again 90 seconds. Stir again. Repeat until thickened to taste. Usually takes about 5 minutes in my microwave. You will see that the outside thickens up first, that is why you need to stir it to incorporate all the gravy. For herbs, I use store bought poultry seasoning for chicken broth, marjoram for beef, and sage, savory, and/or thyme with pork. (I also use 50-50 mix beef and chicken bouillon powder for pork gravy. Sounds strange but it works for me.) This technique works very nicely for those store bought gravy and sauce packets. Just remember to keep the cooking cup about twice as large as the ingredients so it can boil up, and stir when it looks like it will boil over or every minute and a half.

SUPER CHEAP TOMATO SAUCE FROM PASTE

one 6 oz can tomato paste

2 1/2 cups water

1 TB cornstarch or 2 TB flour

1 TB salt

1 tsp sugar

herbs to taste, or premixed Italian herbs

Combine tomato paste and water in a saucepan, stir until smooth. (It helps to put the water in a little at a time, while you stir…). Add cornstarch, salt, and sugar, and stir well to dissolve cornstarch. When cornstarch is all dissolved, then put the saucepan over medium heat. Stir and cook until thickened and smooth.

This makes a plain sauce. Add chopped sautéed vegetables, sliced mushrooms, olives, and cooked, broken up hamburger for a chunky version.

(This also will work with 2 TB flour used instead of the cornstarch….)

For those who want to know, my herbs of choice for this are:

1 TB parsley (dry), 1 TB dried or minced fresh onion, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder,

¼ teaspoon sage, ¼ teaspoon oregano, ¼ teaspoon basil, ¼ teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon marjoram

This makes about the same amount as one of those store bought ‘quart’ jars, at about 1/4th the price, and you can modify the seasonings as taste and ulcers require.

FREEZER COLESLAW (oil and vinegar, sweet sour type)

3 cups shredded cabbage

1 c shredded onion (or more cabbage if you don’t want raw onions)

½ cup each shredded red & green sweet peppers (optional)

2 cups sugar

Dressing:

1 cup white vinegar

½ cup oil

2 teaspoon celery seed (optional)

2 teaspoons sugar

½ teaspoon salt

Boil the vinegar, oil, celery seed, 2 teaspoons sugar and the salt. Let cool.

Combine shredded vegetables, and the 2 cups of sugar. Stir until sugar dissolves, then pour cooled dressing over the top and mix in. This keeps in a refrigerator 9 days, and freezes up to 6 months. (Freeze in small containers and take out and thaw in refrigerator for meals as desired!) The only thing I found objectionable in this was the sugar, so I use half splenda (or their 50-50 mix) Some sugar is crucial to maintain the texture, I suspect. I like this so I don’t need to stress about finishing up the slaw, even though that rarely happens. When I tire of it – into the freezer it goes!

TURKEY IN THE MICROWAVE (Say wha-a-a-at?)

1/4 frozen turkey, thawed

Homemade Stovetop Stuffing (below)

When turkeys go on sale, have the meat man cut one in quarters and wrap them

separately. I have never had to pay for this extra service, but now days I can’t speak for everywhere. Freeze until you crave turkey. Take out one quarter and thaw it. In the refrigerator is recommended by most experts (but I have done it on the countertop when I was home and could refrigerate as soon as the ice was mostly out).

Put in a glass pie plate. Tie with string if you need to keep wing tips in or drumsticks folded down a bit. Microwave on high for 18 min per pound of meat. Start with the pretty side down, then turn over halfway through cooking. If you get a little too brown on wing tips, etc, cover with a LITTLE aluminum foil (you want to block the microwaves, not cause a short). Check with a meat thermometer in the thickest part to make sure it is cooked enough (raw poultry is dangerous). Cook longer if needed. Remove, let sit 10 min to let juices even themselves out while you do a little buck and wing (…”turkey in the straw, turkey in the hay, turkey in the micro, done my way….”). Or you can just make the salad.

If you like a juicy breast turn it breast skin side down for this time. Carve and be prepared for very succulent, juicy turkey. Microwaving makes much moister turkey than the oven, faster, and without all the basting. All you miss is crunchy skin, and you could just run some under the broiler to crisp it up if you need to. Best of all – you can buy a bigger turkey (better bone-to-meat ratio) on sale, and quarter it. No more turkey glut, and it cooks up fast, so you can eat it any the time you want.

HOMEMADE STOVETOP STUFFING

4 cups dry bread cubes (about 8 slices, cubed then left out to dry hard

¼ c dry celery leaves (saved from celery, placed in a paper bag until dry &crumbly)

2 TB dry onion flakes (store)

½ tsp garlic powder

½ tsp thyme (opt)

½ tsp sage (opt)

2 tsp chicken bouillon powder (or 2 cubes, crushed)

Combine and keep in cupboard until you use it. (I usually quadruple this recipe if my bread starts to get stale so I can use it up. Then I keep it in the cupboard, up to 6 months.)

To use, put 2 TB margarine into 1 ½ cups boiling water (until margarine melts). Pour over the dry mixture. Stir thoroughly to moisten. May be used right away, or if still too dry, add a little more hot water, cover and let sit to soften up. May also be baked in a covered dish at 350 for 30 min. (This has less sugar then the store bought stuff. Add or subtract seasonings as desired.)

BREAKFAST CASSEROLE (microwave) 2 normal or 1 generous serving

3 slices toasted bread, cubed

3 oz shredded cheese of choice (I cut up a couple slices and call it square)

1 TB minced onions or a dash onion powder

a small squirt of prepared mustard

1-2 eggs as desired

1/2 cup plus 2 TB milk

1/4 tsp salt (to taste)

extras: 2 oz browned crumbled beef or sausage, 2 slices crumbled bacon, 1/4

cup chopped leftover vegetables, drained canned mushroom pieces, etc

In a glass 4 cup measuring cup layer half the bread, any optional extra ingredients used, half the cheese, then the remaining bread. Put the remaining cheese on top. In a separate bowl, beat the egg, and mix in the milk, salt, onion powder or onions, mustard and pepper. Beat until evenly mixed. Pour over bread & cheese layers, and cover with plastic wrap. Let stand in refrigerator at least 2 hours (critical time) or longer. (Overnight is popular if you want this for breakfast). In the morning, leave the plastic wrap on, and make sure it is tight, then cut a tiny vent hole near the edge of the cup. Microwave on medium until cheese is melted and egg mixture is set. Be careful opening the top, as you may get some steam. Let cool, then enjoy with your coffee and think about how restaurants charge for old fashioned breakfast casseroles like this! Like a quiche without the fanfare.

TURKEY SAUSAGE (makes 6 patties)

1 lb ground turkey

2 TB cider vinegar

2 TB water

1 TB oil

1 glove garlic clove, minced

1 TB paprika

1/2 tsp dry oregano

1/2 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp ground cumin

1 1/2 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1 1/2 tsp chili powder (more or less depending on taste)

Mix everything very well. Cover, chill 4 hours. Shape in 6 patties 3 inches is diameter, 1/2 inch thick. Cook 6-8 min. in a skillet.

HASH MEAT PATTIES (corned beef, spam, leftover meat of any kind, whatever you got)

2 cups chopped meat

8 crackers, broken up

½ c warm water

1 egg

dry bread crumbs, about 1 cup

2 TB oil

Chop meat. Break up crackers, soak in the warm water for 15 min. Stir egg with a fork, but do not beat it. Pour cracker mixture and egg over meat, mix like meat loaf. Shape into 4 patties, dip in bread crumbs to coat. Fry in oil (electric fry pan at 350-400). This makes a nice quickie bite out of whatever kind of meat you have on hand.

MICROWAVE SOME-MORES (I slapped myself for not thinking of this one before)

graham crackers Hershey Bars

Marshmallows

Put a paper towel on a paper plate. Put 4 graham cracker squares on the towel. Top with a square of chocolate and 1 marshmallow for each square. Microwave at high for 30 sec. Top with other halves of crackers. Squish down and pig out, but be careful the filling is hot. (I can’t wait for it to cool down!)

QUICK BREADED PORK CHOPS (20 minutes if using thawed chops)

2 TB Bisquick

3 saltine crackers, crushed fine

1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt

dash pepper

1 egg, beaten

2 TB water

2 pork boneless loin chops, about 1 inch thick

Mix baking mix, cracker crumbs, seasoned salt and pepper. Put in a pie plate.

Beat egg with water, put in another pie plate. Dip pork into egg, then coat with crumb mix. Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Preheat over medium high heat (350 on electric skillet) Cook chops 8-10 min, turning once, until pork is slightly pink in center (I like mine more done though…)

VARIATIONS

You can use plain salt instead of seasoned; or lemon pepper; or any other favorite salt and herb blend. You can use any baking mix, as long as it does not have a bitter taste like some do. You can cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts this way, too. You can substitute cornflake crumbs for crackers crumbs. Makes 2 chops.

WHAT-CHA-GOT STEW (BEEF, VENISON, GAME, CHICKEN, ETC)

1 LB stew meat of any species

1 TB oil

1 can (about 1 lb size) stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato juice, or even water

2 c cubed potatoes

1 c chopped celery

2 c cut up carrots

1 c chopped onions

2 tsp salt or bouillon powder (1 beef cube)

pepper to taste

Cut meat for stew and brown in oil (400 deg in electric skillet). Reduce heat (350 deg)

and mix in all remaining ingredients. Bring to boil, then lower heat (225-250 deg) and simmer until done. Mix in some 2 TB flour and 1/4 c water mixed together to thicken.

(I sometimes make a big batch of this and can it. If canning the stew, do not add flour. Bring all ingredients to a boil to heat through, then ladle hot into hot jars, leaving 1 inch headroom. Add liquid to 1 inch of top. Remove bubbles, wipe rims, cap with hot lid and process pints 75 min and quarts 90 min at 10 lbs pressure. Thicken the canned stew with flour and water when you heat it to eat.)

SLOPPY JOES

1 lb ground meat

34 cup sauce

1/4 c chopped onions

2 TB brown sugar

4 tsp vinegar

1/4 c chopped celery

1/2 ketchup

3 TB Worcestershire Sauce

Lightly brown beef in a little oil (if meat is too lean to make it’s own fat).

Combine with remaining ingredients in large pot. Bring to a boil and simmer to desired thickness. Add water if too thick. Serve. Makes 4-6 buns depending on how you stuff.

Freeze or dehydrate the extra. Spread on solid trays (or cover mesh ones with plastic wrap or wax paper and spray with cooking spray lightly). Dry at high temp until dry and crumbly. Store in a jar in a cool cupboard (I refrigerate in summer) and use within 6 months or so. Pour boiling water over to rehydrate. Make the vegetarian version using cooked beans instead of meat for ‘Sloppy Josés”

TACO MEAT

1 lb ground meat 1/2 cups medium spicy tomato sauce

1/4 c finely chopped onions 1/2 c water

1 cloves minced garlic 1 tsp chili powder

1/4 tsp salt

Lightly brown meat, onions and garlic until onions are tender. Drain, rinse under hot running water to get all fat off, and drain well. Wash out the pan, dry it and return meat to the pan. Add remaining ingredients. Simmer 15 min. Serve hot. Freeze excess, or dehydrate at high temperature until crumbly, then keep in jars in a cool place until wanted. Pour boiling water over to rehydrate.

NOT FROM A BOX MAC & CHEESE (electric skillet)

8 oz macaroni, cooked al dente, and drained in colander

1 TB butter or margarine

1 TB flour

1 c milk

salt and pepper

dash paprika

1 c shredded cheese

sour cream (if decadence desired)

Cook pasta in water in electric skillet at maximum heat. Drain, set aside in colander.

On med setting (300) melt butter, then whisk in flour to make a paste. Slowly whisk in milk, and keep stirring while heating sauce to thicken it. Season lightly. Turn heat to low (250) and stir while folding in cheese. Stir until cheese melts in and sauce is smooth and bubbly. Fold in macaroni, tossing to coat evenly. For extra style, top each serving with a dollop of sour cream and dust with paprika.

VARIATIONS:

1. Change the pasta shape. Spirals are in style right now.

2. Change the cheese. Make ‘four cheese’ style by combining cheddar, swiss, mozzarella and parmesan to make up the cup of cheese. Try Mexican mixed cheese.

3. Add cubed cooked chicken or other meat as desired. This is good with a small can tuna added, or cooked vegetables (leftovers if you have any).

7-WAY HAMBURGER CASSEROLE

1/2 lb ground beef

2 TB minced onions

3 oz tomato paste (1/2 small can, the rest will freeze)

1/2 c canned stewed tomatoes

1 c water

1/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp chili powder

4 oz macaroni

1 small (8 oz) can corn, drained

shredded cheese

sour cream

On high heat (400 deg) brown hamburger. (I omit oil, the burger usually makes its own). Put cooked burger in a colander, rinse under hot running water to remove as much fat as you can. A simple step, but effective. Canada has done the research, and has found that rinsing plain old regular ground beef lowers its fat levels to under that of ground round. Worth the effort.) Add onions, tomato paste, tomatoes, parsley, water, salt and chili powder. Bring to a boil and stir in macaroni (raw). Add extra hot water if needed to cover macaroni. Cover, lower heat and simmer 25 min until macaroni is cooked and tender, 5-10 minutes. Serve as-is or top with shredded cheese & sour cream.

VAR #1- add diced green pepper and Mexican style tomatoes

VAR #2 – omit corn & chili powder, add mushrooms

VAR #3 - change pasta shapes, or use a mixture to use up odd bits

VAR #5 – omit meat; substitute sautéed vegetables or legumes and add sliced black

olives or sautéed mushrooms to replace corn.

VAR #6 – Use different cheese or a blend

VAR #7 – Stir in sour cream at end of cooking time and heat through

MONDAY HASH (a quick bite to use up leftovers)

leftover meat diced fine

cooked potatoes, diced rine

diced onions

ketchup

salt & pepper

pinch garlic powder

pinch dry parsley

evaporated milk

oil or fat

optional eggs

Combine meat, potatoes, onions, seasonings and just enough evaporated milk to moisten and bind the ingredients. Brown in med-hot (300-350) skillet in a fat-sprayed pan (or with enough fat to coat the bottom). Cook until brown and crispy. Serve with ketchup.

VARIATION:

When hash is nearly cooked, make a well or two per person on the hash exposing the bottom of the pan. In each well, put a pat of butter and 1 egg. Season eggs, cover and cook until eggs are set but not hard (Unless you like ‘em that way like I do). Serve at once.

CHICKEN PARMIGIANA

1 chicken breast, thawed, boned, skinned

and pounded thin

1/4 pie plate flour

1 egg, beaten with 1 TB water

1/4 pie plate of dry crumbs

1 TB butter

1 TB olive oil

tomato sauce

mozz, cheese

Pound thawed chicken breast to an even thickness. Dredge in flour, then dip in egg-water mixture, then roll in dry crumbs to coat evenly and well. Heat oil and butter in skillet on med-high (375) and cook chicken until brown on both sides. Lower heat slightly and cook until chicken is done. Add more oil if needed. Top the chicken with

a daub of pasta sauce, then a slice of mozzarella, then parmesan. Put on a place, and serve over pasta if you can afford the calories. (Good with rice or ‘taters, too.)

PANTRY STYLE BEEF & BROCCOLI (no exotic ingredients)

1/4 lb beef sirloin, cut stir fry style

oil

1/2 c broccoli florets, thawed if frozen

1 green onion, with top, sliced fine lengthwise

1 1/2 tsp cornstarch

1/2 c beef broth

1 1/2 tsp soy sauce

crushed red pepper to taste

cooked rice for serving

Heat skillet to 350 and quickly stir fry beef in oil in batches. Do not over cook or crowd. Set aside meat, lower heat to 325 and stir fry the broccoli and onions until tender crisp.

(Add oil if needed.) Shake cornstarch with a little broth in a jar and set aside.

Mix remaining broth in bowl with soy sauce, then stir in cornstarch mixture. Blend and pour into skillet with vegetables, stirring constantly until thick. Stir in beef and mix to blend and heat through. Serve with rice.

EGG FOO YUNG

Some like this as a side dish, but for me it’s a meal.

1/2 c diced or shredded cooked chicken 3 eggs, beaten

1 small onion, minced bean sprouts, well drained

2 small can water chestnuts, sliced chopped green onions

in small strips (or 1/4 c celery, cut the cooking oil

same way soy sauce

Heat skillet to 350 with enough oil to cover the bottom of skillet. Beat eggs. Stir chicken, onions, water chestnuts or celery and sprouts to eggs, blending well.

Make patties in pan 3 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Gently fry until set.

Turn and brown the other side until edges are crispy and centers set softly but

firmly. Keep warm. Make brown sauce if feeling traditional-minded.

Homemade Brown Sauce:

1 c chicken broth

1 TB soy sauce

1 TB cornstarch

Shake cornstarch in a jar with 1/4 c of the broth. Put remainder of broth in saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Stir in mixture, stir and simmer until thick. Serve with egg foo yung.

SOUTHERN STYLE CABBAGE

2 slices raw bacon, cut in 1 inch pieces

1 lb cabbage, sliced coarsely

1/2 small onion, sliced thin

1/4 tsp salt

1/4 c water

Cook bacon over med heat (300 deg.) until browned. Add cabbage, onion, salt, and stir to coat with the fat from the bacon. Add water, lower the heat to medium low (250) cover and cook, stirring occasionally until cabbage is tender and lightly browned, about 30 min. (Satisfying low-calorie comfort food.) Double to use for a poor mans’ main dish.

SKILLET-ROASTED CHICKEN FOR TWO

1 plump chicken, cut in half or quartered (leave the skin on)

2 TB oil

1 TB butter

paprika

salt

pepper

2 baking potatoes, scrubbed, pierced several times with a fork

Using shears cut chicken in half and trim off extra fat and skin (if not already done). Set aside. Heat oil and butter in skillet set at 350. Place chicken in skillet, skin side down and brown until golden. Turn chicken, season with salt, pepper and paprika.

Put potatoes in skin side up. Lower heat to 250, cover and cook about 1 hour until chicken is roasted and potatoes are tender, turning potatoes after 30 minutes.

BACHELOR BEEF WITH ONIONS

3/4 lb round steak, 3/4 inch thick

pie plate of flour

1/2 stick butter or margarine, divided

1 large onion, sliced

1/2 tsp Dijon mustard (I use regular, I cant tell the difference anyway)

dash Worcestershire sauce

2 peeled cloves garlic

salt & pepper

Cut meat in serving pieces. Dredge in flour and set aside. Heat skillet to 325 (med). Melt 1/2 the butter. Add onions and sauté until soft and golden. Set aside. Melt remainder of butter and brown meat on both sides. When browned to suit, add onions, Worcestershire sauce and mustard. Add beer, cloves, salt and pepper. When beer starts to toil, lower heat to a low simmer (250 degrees) and cover the skillet.

Cook until meat is done, about 1 1/2 hours. Add more liquid if needed & remove garlic before serving. (This would also be good in a crock pot – brown the meat then put everything in the crock pot and cook on low 6 hours.)

I hope you enjoy these recipes. They are some of my favorites, and it certainly doesn’t hurt that they do not dirty the oven, and are reasonably cheap. So don’t sweat the small stuff, especially in the kitchen.

Archived