MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
mamacat

Windows

I love sunlight. I bought a bungalow with big windows and sit here watching the cats enjoying the breezes and "cacking" at the birds.

Scenario... TSHTF. I live in a rural town of 11K. We have a Laotian gang, plenty of illegal immigrants, and 52 registered sex offenders. To the casual observer I am a later middle aged woman, slim build, 5'6 who lives alone with her 3 cats in a house with windows on all four sides. Someone IS going to consider me an easy mark.

After studying the house and giving it a lot of thought, I decided to make entry difficult FIRST, then come back to making it impossible, and as a tertiary thought add weather conditions.

I cannot quickly put up plywood, which is too easy to come throw with an axe anyway. I can, however, get feedlot panels up really quickly. If a 1600 pound bull isn't come through one, my 260 pound neighbor sure as heck isn't. They are cheap, readily available (often at auction) welded, galvanized, and fireproof. I have a friend who has cut them down to size for me, I can run through the house with them, and my drapery tie hooks hold them in place until I can finish getting them nailed down. Now that you can't get in for my supplies, I can come back and put up something heavier, to close things off. I have wood for that currently, but really want to look at hurricane or steel shutters once I can afford them.

What are other folks doing?

Oh, my... I am so far behind you that I might as well just pile my preps on the front porch and hope that they don't break my windows in their rush to cart our stuff away. Cattle panels, huh? I never would have thought of that one. I think I might need to price those out.

I've been thinking about this same issue lately. I think the only thing I will be able to do is to :behindsofa: and keep a low profile. I only have windows on the front and back of my house but they are huge. On the back I have 3 windows plus a sliding glass patio door. I have double locks on it and a clamp to keep it from opening but lets face it...it's just 2 panes of glass! The upstairs windows would need a very tall ladder. (Note to self...in a ----------> :smiley_shitfan: situation, bring all ladders from garage to basement.)

On the front is a huge bay window sort of set up. It would be easy to break the glass too except there are 16 indivdual panes surrounded by wood frames. It would take some effort to get in that way. Easily done but some of the wood would need to be broken out before anyone could get through. Upstairs windows, again would need a very tall ladder. I guess the patio door is my weakest link simply because it is all glass.

I had to replace my front door a couple of years ago. I looked real hard at the pretty fancy glass ones. I opted for one that just has the small fan shaped glass at the top. It lets some light in but is too small for anything else. I have 2 locks on it plus something similar to this... http://www.keenzo.com/showproduct.asp?ID=1251943

I've thought about how to make some sort of door that is secure to my basement. I could easily hole up down there. Problem is that door opens outward. No room for it to open in. The door on it now is just a standard hollow core door. Tripwire?

Off to look up what a feedlot panel is. :pc_coffee:

If you are really considering your basement as a potential safe haven, look into whether you could install a rolldown door or cage like they use at the malls. Hurricane doors are pretty awesome things and come in residential sizes. $$$ tho.

If you are really considering your basement as a potential safe haven, look into whether you could install a rolldown door or cage like they use at the malls. Hurricane doors are pretty awesome things and come in residential sizes. $$$ tho.

When we lived in China (Taiwan) we had the solid type rolldown door we used every night. I loved it. They were mainly put on for typhoons and a lot of people had them. Just nosing around on line I found these... http://www.glassessential.com/Door-Security/expanded-metal-security-guard.html I'd want more than 4 screws holding them on though. It's a pretty neat site but it's in Canada. Looks like a US phone number though.

These look pretty nice too with more screws to hold it on. They are a little pricy but you do get two. http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1297097

The mall type accordian ones would be great behind a basement door.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.