MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

What Is/Was For Dinner?

• 3 weeks later...

I opened a jar of my canned soup. It was corn, celery, onion, potatoes and chicken. In the canning book it is listed as 'chowder' but there isn't anything chowder about it. Aside from that it was De-licious. It was so good I ate 2 jars. Yes, I ate a whole quart at one time...by myself. Oink.

I opened a pint of canned smoked sausage, onion, green beans and potatoes. It was very good but the juice was too greasy for me to eat. I suppose I was thinking more in line of a soup when I made it. It is really good though and because of the smoked sausage, I'm glad I didn't add salt. The green beans are just a little bit soft. I used those little smokie links cut in half. I'll definitely make more when these are all gone. I love onions and eat them with just about everything but they always disappear in canning. I was thinking about not adding them any more but I suppose they do add flavor.

I got out a few of my cookbooks yesterday and decided to cook a big meal for a change.

Home canned peas, cornbread, sweet potato casserole, rice with beef stew to put over it,

lemon icebox pie, tea

Everyone enjoyed it, except my picky boy. the oldest boy asked me to cook it again today.

Ha, no one offered to help clean the kitchen tho.

Maybe I'll cook again- ----next week----maybe............

I opened a pint of canned smoked sausage, onion, green beans and potatoes. It was very good but the juice was too greasy for me to eat. I suppose I was thinking more in line of a soup when I made it. It is really good though and because of the smoked sausage, I'm glad I didn't add salt. The green beans are just a little bit soft. I used those little smokie links cut in half. I'll definitely make more when these are all gone. I love onions and eat them with just about everything but they always disappear in canning. I was thinking about not adding them any more but I suppose they do add flavor.

When I'm adding onions to my jars I cut them in very big chunks...or I use dehydrated onion "flakes".

• 3 weeks later...

Meat loaf, mashed potatoes w/gravy, garlic/dill new potatoes and a piece of cornbread. Thanks to Boston Market.

It sucked. The garlic potatoes were very good. The mashed potatoes were okay but the gravy tasted burnt. The cornbread was good. The meatloaf was horrible. Even ketchup on it between 2 slices of bread couldn't save it. They used to be pretty good. At least it filled me up.

We just had frozen pizza that they call "school house pizzas" (like the kids have in school). I had 3 DGKs waiting to plant the garden and I needed something fast. LOL

Hi Kelly, this is Kully.. Last night we had breakfast, bacon, grits, biscuits, scrambled eggs, jelly..I can never get enough bacon for my oldest boy,,haha. but at least the picky one ate well.

I made dinner for our host in TN and now I have 'orders' that it absolutely must be done when we return in June....made home-made bread (makes anything taste better), pork schnitzel, crumb-coated fried potato wedges, along with southern style cabbage (with bacon). The only complaint was that we all over-ate until our tummies were groaning! It seems everybody is ditzy for schnitzel around here!

Meatloaf...pat flat, layer on mashed potatoes & cheese, roll up and cook! Last night we ate half with a salad and tonight we ate the rest with a salad. Tomorrow? I'll figure that out in the morning! LOL

Tonight we're celebrating with friends for another friend's retirement. The main thing is KFC chicken tenders, so everybody's bringing something. We're taking scalloped potatoes, green bean casserole, and four different salsa's, and stuffing some bags with some extra's "just in case" ... sweet peppers, tomatoes, black olives, baby carrots. Can always put together another veggie tray if one is short :-)

• 5 weeks later...

Salmon loaf, rehydrated hash brown potatoes (with green onions from the garden), and green beans (from last years garden). I put shredded cheese on the potatoes, and also had lettuce and tomato for colour. Our fresh lettuce isn't big enough to eat yet but surely is a teaser because it looks so good after a recent rain. Store stuff just doesn't make the grade when you are watching the baby lettuce grow. "Lettuce eat it already"!

I was pleased because it could be a prepper meal. Save the store bought lettuce, I had everything else in the cupboards, and stock piled. We need to plant more multiplyer onions so we can dehydrate more . Dh came up short on all the onions. He had them in early but it was too dry for then to grow or he misplaced a couple of bags. There is only one mesh "mark the row" bag out there!