MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Why Prep?

There are so many different reasons and also many similar reasons as to why we choose to prepare. What is your reason?

I prep for my family. It's insurance for if and when SHTF whatever that scenario could be, whether my husband's hours get cut at work, or power is out for a few weeks etc.. I want my family and myself to be able to survive in the worst case situations and prepping allows me to sleep much better at night knowing we can sustain if we would have to.

I prep for a lot of reasons, I have always known that unexpected should always be expected and that it is foolishness to think that we don't need to worry about it. I have one son grown in living in New York that thinks I am paranoid, and I tell him all the time, that if anything ever happens who will be knocking on who's door? He chooses not think about these things, that is fine but I worry about him, he is poorly prepared especially for living someplace like New York.

I also prep because we have had to endure lay offs, and as people that work for themselves on the Internet we always have the possibility of our income status changing. I never want to worry about keeping my family warm or feeding them.

I also prep because I love to do it, I knew the feeling of having a father walk out when I was little, and a Mother that was totally unprepared to deal with it, she was too proud to get help so we went hungry, If there is any paranoia in my prepping which really there is not, that would be why, there is never a reason to be so unprepared that your kids don't get enough to eat.

I prep for the reasons that have already been stated. I also do it to save money. I buy large quantities of things on sale so that I don't have to buy them at the ever-soaring regular prices. I prep because I don't like running out of things and having to go to the store for that ONE ingredient that I ran out of. By prepping, I don't run out of things. I log a lot of hours working from home and from the office. I don't have time to do a lot of running around. I prep because it saves my sanity!

Welcome PreppyMomma and MammaWolf. I see you've joined us recently. :balloons:

I grew up on an Iowa farm. Never went into town often. Got paid yearly with crops. Raised chickens for eggs, etc. Left rural life for a while but had to get back to it. Urban is no place for me. But also.....I have ALWAYS had this need to be prepared for any and all potentials. Since I was a kid staying with "Grma"...I packed EVERYthing in case I might neeeeeed it. And thru the years, my life has been filled with unusual occurances that only reinforce the wisdom of being prepared for odd things that come my way. Others too, have gotten use of the things I always have with me. When the hooey of any sort hits the fan, I dig into my pockets or pack and ....out comes my McGyver kit or Dr.Who's 'sonic screwdriver' or ..... who knows what all is there. :lol:

MtRider [caught the bug young! ]

and prepping allows me to sleep much better at night knowing we can sustain if we would have to.

There you go - THAT is one of the main reasons we have been doing it for YEARS!

Just the other day someone was talking to us and said " I don't know what I would have done IF the earthquake was here and we lost power and couldn't get out to shop and get gas, .........."

Then She looked at us and said " BUT, I bet you two would be just fine."

"Why YES we would!" - then - 'tried' to explain a few things but all she wanted to know was IF she could STILL use her credet cards AFTER!

Man does she need a wakeup call!

As to batteries -

IF you can get solor or even crank flashlights (and lanterns) and other things that take batteries you will be better off as you don't have to run out to buy them at the last minute or IF the store runns out (like stated above) you will be all set. We even have extra outdoor 'solor garden lights' to use as night-lights if needed! Better then have candles lite all night long!!!!!!!

also batteries need to be replace in case they go 'dead' while in storage and then you have paid for something you never got to use.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Good advice, Michael! One other thing that we do regarding batteries is that we try to buy items that use AA and AAA batteries. This way, we always have them on hand and they don't go bad because we use them in everyday things like the tv remote, digital cameras, my digital recorder, walkie talkies, LED flashlights, daughter's Wii remotes, etc... It doesn't always work out. Some things just take larger batteries like Coleman lanterns. We do have a few of the handcranked items, but I try to buy them when I can get them for almost nothing due to giftcards or internet promotions. For that reason, we only have two crank flashlights and a combination crank radio with a flashlight. I do have some solar lawn lamps that I can use , too.

I'm just glad that we don't have small children in the house. The candle thing can be dangerous. When my kids were small, we used tea-lites in a candleholders with glass lids (with a small hole).

the same folks who used to chuckle at my 'eccentric' prepping have benefited by my bringing them food in their times of need. now they prep too. nothing like experience to teach the value of preps!

Preservation.

The folks I know and grew up with raise garden and put up fruit they buy or raise.

It has been done for centuries-

"go to the ant thou sluggard consider her ways and be wise".

If you put up everything you need than there is little to buy from the store and less you have to

worry about. If you put up enough for several year ,so be it, a bad year may come, too wet, too

cold, too dry, insects, predators, hail etc.

There has not always been stores available.

i can sum it up in one sentence: 'because s**t happens....then you gotta handle it!'

Like kappy, because "life happens". I like not having to rush about like a mad woman just because a hurricane or blizzard is forecast. I have food, water, candles, fuel, etc. . . Of course, I've still a lot of prepping to do, but I know for a fact that I'm better off than many people I know.

Although, if we get any more earthquakes around here, I'm gonna have to drastically revise my plans! lol

Welcome, y'all! :welcome4:

I prep because I met people of a certain religious persuasion who did so, and even though I don't follow their theology anymore, I very much admire their church's committment to families being ready for many eventualities. I started socking food away. After I had six months stored, my husband started getting major paycuts at work due to the "recession." Our six months of food storage helped us to pay our mortgage for a while. It was also a huge wake-up call for both myself and, importantly, my husband. We both had a great experience of the practicalities of preparedness, and our preps went into high gear after our eventual foreclosure. It makes me feel good that although I can never be ready for everything, at least I can make sure that my kiddos are fed halfway decently for several months if our access to food is disrupted. I'm grateful for all I've learned, and especially grateful for the wonderful people at Mrs. Survival, who have taught me so much. :grouphug:

Preservation.

The folks I know and grew up with raise garden and put up fruit they buy or raise.

It has been done for centuries-

"go to the ant thou sluggard consider her ways and be wise".

If you put up everything you need than there is little to buy from the store and less you have to

worry about. If you put up enough for several year ,so be it, a bad year may come, too wet, too

cold, too dry, insects, predators, hail etc.

There has not always been stores available.

This describes my experience as well.

I prep because as everyone says, stuff happens. I have always felt secure with a full cupboard, but as time when by I discovered having more than a weeks supply helped me when times got tough. Power outages during storms ( or sometimes losing power cause I couldn't pay the bill), taught me that having extra on hand as well as a means to have light had made life easier. As I got older and had experienced a little bit more, I decided more was better. I was out of work for a year. During that time I went through all of my savings to pay bills, but food was taken care of through my preps. They are lower than I want right now. Still playing catch up from being out of work, but I know I will build them back up again and work on the savings again. When I lost my job, I didn't have the panic that I had in the past when I didn't have a job. I knew we had food at home and an emergency fund to help with money. That is where I always want to be, because you never know what will go wrong to force you to use your preps, but you can be sure whether it is an extended power outage, severe weather, job loss or your own personal disaster, something will happen to make you glad the preps were there. I even have helped others out. When I was out of work, so was my brother. For that year, I not only fed my house, I also brought food to my brother and kept him taken care of too. He is now on board with prepping where befoe he just didn't see why we needed more than a couple of days of food in the house with the store right down the road. First he ran into a problem with his water being shut off. ( he was renting from a guy that was going through bankrupcy. The Realtor managing the property didn't remember their was a renter so they shut off the water from the street. Took him 6 weeks of fighting it out to get the water turned back on coming to the house. It seems they knew someone was back there, but didn't realize that shutting water off where they did shut both places off.) Then with no money coming in he saw the value of having food and emergency power supplies. He will never be a believer in something big happening, but he now believes we should have water, food and emergency power supplies.

Glad to hear brother is finally on board for the shorter events, Deb! We do try to spread the word. The problem is that for many people, seein is believing. "Experiencial learners" Which means a certain amount of hooey has to hit the fan before they can actually SEEEEEE what you've been sayin'.

MtRider :shrug:

being prepared for odd things that come my way. Others too, have gotten use of the things I always have with me. When the hooey of any sort hits the fan, I dig into my pockets or pack and ....out comes my McGyver kit or Dr.Who's 'sonic screwdriver' or ..... who knows what all is there. :lol:

Awww, I want a sonic screwdriver... all I have is my Leatherman though... :unsure: Though dang, a TARDIS would be handy for the commute- you'd never be late! :P

being prepared for odd things that come my way. Others too, have gotten use of the things I always have with me. When the hooey of any sort hits the fan, I dig into my pockets or pack and ....out comes my McGyver kit or Dr.Who's 'sonic screwdriver' or ..... who knows what all is there. :lol:

Awww, I want a sonic screwdriver... all I have is my Leatherman though... :unsure: Though dang, a TARDIS would be handy for the commute- you'd never be late! :P

My DH used to carry a Leatherman to work. His boss called it the "tool from he**" but between that and his knife he got a LOT done and fixed so they never complained.

Dr Who rules! And just to bring to your attention, on www.craftster.org they have constant dr Who swaps. You make something for someone and get an item back. You won't believe the things people make there.

I can recommend anyone to take a look there cos the knowledge of crafts would prove invaluable post-hooey.

Back on schedule, a Tardis would be the ultimate BOV. :grinning-smiley-044: