MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Cast Iron Wok?

Hard at work, as usual, supporting the people working on a book restoration. This time it is the Good Earth Almanac #1, which is being restored at request of copyright holder. Sorry, folks, this one is not going on the site, copyright is in play.

One of the goodies is that I get to read the epages as they go to press. On one, it tells how to season a cast iron dutch oven. Old news to me. But on anther page, it tells how to season a wok.

I do not know wok, being an old order mennonite. It stuck me that with the difference of bacon fat vs vegetable oil, the seasoning is the same. Then I read that the wok is put in a ring of stones, and the fire coals are put in the ring. Then I thought of my wood burning stove, with pop out trivets, there is my ring of stones. Then the thought hit that I have never seen or heard of a cast iron wok, all have been stainless or Teflon or such. Then I thought it might be an alternative to the deep fat fryer that seems to live on the back burner... (And hoping to find another way to get my mans fats down...)

OK, is there such a thing as a cast iron wok? Can someone direct me? Hints/pointers/etc?

Sarah.

Thank you Jeepers, and Becca_Anne!

I did not know Lodge did. I am going to keep looking. That ring seems to be cast into the Lodge. I am thinking the ring would cause trouble with the 'burners' in my stove.

My husband has teased me, suggesting I take a small apple butter copper kettle and a hammer...

Sarah.

I didn't know they had cast iron woks, although I have often wondered. My mom has a stainless steel one, but it does have a good seasoning on it, so it is close to being non-stick. I think with more use it would be really nice.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know they had cast iron woks, although I have often wondered. My mom has a stainless steel one, but it does have a good seasoning on it, so it is close to being non-stick. I think with more use it would be really nice.

I got three woks! And a bit of teasing.

The cast in ring of the Lodge is a problem. It simply can be used due to that ring cast in.

The second is aluminum, with a stoneware coating. Nice, and fits the hole, but a bit tippy, and I do not trust those finishes.

The third is Revereware stainless. It is much too large for my needs.

I have an order in at our general store for a one quart copper kettle. I am thinking that would season so well...

Sarah

We've got a cast iron wok here and one at the BOL. Both garagesales. People don't want them cos they weight a ton :grinning-smiley-044:

I very much want them cos with a bit of care they'll be used 4 generations after me.

Next sunday the archeological society I'm member of is cooking medieval recipes in a castle, slot Loevestijn. I'll bake a dough-bottom here at home and make a delicious custard there for people to taste. Plus cooking pear chutney and other niceties.

Woks can be used for quick stirfry but also for slower cooking, depending on the amount of wood or coal underneath.

I have started using the Revereware. I am looking forward to the copper one coming.

First lesson learned is that the sticks are too darn small. Use a wooden spoon.

Second lesson is that men will eat anything fried. Anything.

Third lesson is that you only want to use a liquid oil. No lard, fats, or butter. Note: Glis (clarified butter) is the exception.

Fourth lesson is to keep the pot liquor from the man. Cutting his fats was part of the idea!

Fifth lesson, try breading the rabbit

Sixth lesson. Cheese equals a mess.

Christy, speaking of 'archeological society' cooking, did you know that they used to 'copper wash' (an early form of chemical electroplating) their metal cookware in the 'old world'? The 'wash' back then was arsenic based. :yuk: The 'safe' 'new world' copper 'dips' started the 'Revereware' style. That might be a piece of trivia to use around the stove.

Sarah

Gofish, you are very very welcome. For the event and for a longer time to check out Europe as well.

Arik and I seem to be coming down with a nasty cold, throat, ear, headache so I hope I make it there.

Will take pics and post recipes.

All in all, woks are very versatile and if you find one second hand, get your mits around it.

• 3 weeks later...

It is a lodge wok.

Well how lodge is it?

(da dum!)

I think the round-bottom wok is the most effective cooking implement in history. The flat bottom are a adaption to the stove.

Archived