MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Dog prep questions

carr

Somewhere on this site, I read where some of you can the bones, etc., after making broth to use as dog food if things go bad ... actually, I think I've read it in more than one place ... but of course, I can't find it.

Can you fill me in on the details please: at what point do you can, how long do you can, do you grind up before you can or at time of use.

What else do you store for dog food? A year or so ago, we started feeding our dog raw based on DD's research, and he is happier an healthier than ever. So I've stopped buying dog food (because raw is not cheap). I'm really concerned about what to store for him. I know I read a post where someone was planting a garden to include stuff she feeds her dog, but I haven't heard back from her on that.

I guess my question is, without commercial dog foods on hand .. which make my dog sick .. what should I store to feed him when fresh meat is not available? :shrug:

Edited by carr

Somewhere on this site, I read where some of you can the bones, etc., after making broth to use as dog food if things go bad ... actually, I think I've read it in more than one place ... but of course, I can't find it.

Can you fill me in on the details please: at what point do you can, how long do you can, do you grind up before you can or at time of use.

What else do you store for dog food? A year or so ago, we started feeding our dog raw based on DD's research, and he is happier an healthier than ever. So I've stopped buying dog food (because raw is not cheap). I'm really concerned about what to store for him. I know I read a post where someone was planting a garden to include stuff she feeds her dog, but I haven't heard back from her on that.

I guess my question is, without commercial dog foods on hand .. which make my dog sick .. what should I store to feed him when fresh meat is not available? :shrug:

Ok, here's what I do. I don't have to depend on homemade dog food right now, but I have in the past during a time of job loss. Now I try to keep things on hand so if I ever have to make it again, I'll have what I need.

About the bones, what I do is cook them down until they just fall apart in my hands. I've heard it can be done in about 20 minutes with a pressure cooker but I don't have a pressure cooker. So I put them in a crock pot and it takes about two or three days. I use that as one of the ingredients. I cook up oatmeal and rice and any leftover meats or cuts of meat that might have freezer burn, etc. I add in a few eggs and crush the shells and put those in too. It gives them extra calcium and some crunch. I also always add in some canned pumpkin (I'm always stocked up on it) too because it's a natural worm preventative.

I know it's kind of a bit of this and a bit of that but they like it and it works. I don't can it for obvious reasons - so sorry I can't help with that - but I do keep anything I can use for it in the freezer. Any little bits of gravy or sauce or meat or anything at all that I know we won't eat but the dogs will, gets saved.

thanks so much for your help!!! have you seen the post below made by MommaDogs a couple or three years ago about replanting her garden and food for her dogs. I've posted a question about this, but I don't know if she's been back here since. Would you just chop these things up for dog food?

"Here's my first pass list for dog food, some of which doubles as chicken and bunny food, and of course, all can be people food.

Almonds

Apples

Basil

Beets

Blackberries

Blueberries

Broccoli

Caraway Seed

Carrots

Cauliflower

Celery

Chicory Root

Cranberries

Dill

Tomato (sundried)

Figs

Flax Seed

Garlic

Ginger

Green Beans

Lemon Balm

Marigold Flowers

Millet

Parsley

Potatoes

Pumpkin

Rosemary

Sage

Spinach

Sweet Potato

Watercress "

That all looks good to me. I don't see anything that dogs aren't supposed to have. I know that corn and onions are no-nos for dogs. But other than that, you can play with it. I just always make sure I have: the meat (even if I just pick up a cheap package of chicken livers), the eggs w/ shells, pumpkin (is also a good fiber source for them), and the cooked oatmeal and rice. Those are the ingredients I got from a member here years ago who made her own dog food and she helped me come up with the way I've been doing it since. Now for my dogs, they're not really keen on anything green and leafy. So putting in things like lemon balm and parsley...they would literally pick around it unless it was really disguised by being pureed in a food processor or something like that. But then...that's an idea right there isn't it?

I make it cheaply. I just buy the cheapest oatmeal I can find, we always have rice and usually have leftover rice stashed in the freezer just for this purpose. I stock up on pumpkin each fall, enough to last the year. Eggs - I've got chickens. Then any other leftovers I know I can add go in the freezer. I recently cooked a whole chicken in the crockpot and kept all the drippings and fat to use in the dog food. Once you get used to making it, it just becomes second nature to save all the little tidbits.

thanks so much

There is a post down in the "Edge" forum about dog food prepping. It's in the "Guerrila Homesteading" area under 'Dog food/cat food' by motherearth.

I'd post a link here but I'm not sure how to do an inner site link. :sEm_blush:

There is a post down in the "Edge" forum about dog food prepping. It's in the "Guerrila Homesteading" area under 'Dog food/cat food' by motherearth.

I'd post a link here but I'm not sure how to do an inner site link. :sEm_blush:

thanks so much ... I knew I had run across a good post in the past, but could not find it to save me!!! :cheeky-smiley-067: