MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Good for you...and DH and MIL!!! Great score on free buckets!

When you begin to garden, it REALLY is best to start small and work out the mistakes slowly. If you get overwhelmed, you don't get anywhere.

MtRider :thumbs:

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks MtRider, do you think that size of garden is too big for my first one...??? I wasn't sure really how big to try to go...any thoughts on that would be appreciated!

When you begin to garden, it REALLY is best to start small and work out the mistakes slowly. If you get overwhelmed, you don't get anywhere.

jlcary1...23X5' No, I don't think that's too big. You're in the midwest so many options are available to you. Good growing conditions. Have you hung out on the Nature's Bounty forum yet?

You need to figure out a few things that you'd like to grow. In these Hard Times, I like to plant only those things that produce a LOT of veggies OR you can tuck in somewhere OR provide a lot of nutrient OR those that are a SURE THING in my area. [since I'm 9,000' in the Rockies...that last one narrows it down a great deal :rolleyes: ]

Get a good book (website) as a reference for: how close to plant each type of seed (always further than you think but the plant GROW and don't want to crowd them!)...how many days to production start...which are cold/heat sensitive. Things like that. You will always go back to reference that book again.

With that information, you might decide to eliminate things that vine [cukes, melons, etc] cuz it takes up a lot of space for what you get. Sweet corn takes up a lot of space too.

Basic starters are

tomatoes [start from seedlings and eventually learn to start your own HEALTHY seedlings in early spring. Make sure to have cages for them to grow in or they might sprawl all over.],

green or yellow beans [pole beans if you can make a trellis...produces until frost gets it // bush beans ripen more 'all at once']

peas [which can be planted early and might be done fast enough to let you plant a second crop in that spot]

potatoes [take up room but can be quite productive....might be grown in a verticle container ]

Greens [lettuce varieties, spinach, Swiss Chard, etc. The stronger varieties are kale/collards. Can often be tucked into the flower beds too. Replant for successive harvests.]

Roots like beets, turnips (hey, they grow up here! :lol: ) carrots, parsnips :yum:, rutabaga, [a lot of produce for the space they use, are better after a frost, and usually aren't so damaged by hail (um, carrot germination can be a bit tricky if the row isn't kept moist)]

cole crops cauliflower, cabbage, kohlrabi, broccoli, etc. [start as seedlings, plant or late cuz can tolerate frost well, take up HUGE space tho for the veggie it produces. Lots of nutrients in cole crops tho]

So that's an example of how I decide what to apportion my energy, water, time, garden space. :shrug:

MtRider :lois:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Thanks MtRider, do you think that size of garden is too big for my first one...??? I wasn't sure really how big to try to go...any thoughts on that would be appreciated!

You might want to take a look at this site. It has a seed calculator that you can use to guage how many seeds/plants that you will need. As an example it will tell you that you can get 24 tomato plants in a 40 foot row or planting tomato seeds 3 inches apart in an 8 foot row you can get 32 plants to transplant later.

http://www.johnnyseeds.com/SeedCalculator.aspx

:wormie2:

John

Not doing much prepping lately. Right now I'm using up a lot of stuff prior to a hoped for upcoming move. Good time to clean out anything getting old or iffy. So far I've turned 3 buckets of oats into animal feed because as I opened each I found weevils. I think the bags sat too long in this hot climate before I found time to bucket them. Glad to discover it while still hope of resupply! I also opened a tote of rice and it smells rancid to me, though no weevils. It is becoming dog food.

Thanks MtRider and WormGuy!! That is all very helpful information! The only vine I was planning on trying to grow is cucumbers...we love cucumbers. Also planning small amounts each of tomatoes,peas, green beans, broccoli, carrots, potatoes, onions, cilantro, basil, rosemary and dill. I'm going to try out Square Foot Gardening. I have read a lot about online and I'm hoping it works well for me! Thanks again all for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks. Gosh its been a while since Iv been here, apologies for that, Iv been a tad busy. Heres the run down for the recent months:

My Dad was in hospital all of October and came out at the end of that month with only 2 toes left on his feet and having had a heart operation. Im his carer now, so that keeps me very busy. Iv had to get some decent footwear that is really comfy and found a German company called Rohde and they do some wonderful comfy pumps - I have two pairs so far. Im ultra organised with a A5 day to page diary with all my daily todos in, or otherwise I will forget it all. Iv also got a check list of all Dads meds on and when they need to be taken, otherwise its so easy to forget.what is taken when.

Iv started doing an English fast track course once a week, to work towards my long term goal of doing a Psychology degree with the Open University. I hope to go into survival psychology research or clinical work with those with PTSD or Amnesia from trauma.

As far as preps are concerned, Iv finished my and the dogs BOB, and Iv almost finished a pet grooming kit. After this I hope to get some collars and leads in various sizes etc. I came to the conclusion that after the SHTF I would be the potty women saving all the dogs trapped in houses etc.

The garden is coming along well, and just yesterday I started to train the Blackberry bush to go over the top of the fence as a security measure. We did loose 18 fish outside last year but the 3 put in to replace them have survived our winter so far.

My back is just about sorted, I had physio at the hospital in the end and it took five session (over 3 months) before he was happy to release me to my own work out. Iv just 'nudged' (twisted?) the bottom of my back, so hope to get over that within the next week as the Dr advised.

My major purchase this year was a Kindle keyboard thingy, so I can upload all the books I dont want to keep in a paper form, so I can then fit in my preppy books. Iv off loaded all those that really dont float my boat anymore to the local Hospice charity shop.

Iv fully stocked my craft cupboard and that is again bursting at the seams, but is organised pretty well. I just need a bigger cupboard or a room would be nice. Iv knitted about four dog jumpers/sweaters to get into practice on patterns, reducing, increasing etc in the pattern. Iv even designed my own pattern. Im currentl knitting a blanket for our local Dog and Cat rescue center (Battersea Dogs and Cats Home).

I cook most days, and really need to get back to baking.

Oh my brother was found to have extremely high cholesteral and so is on a massive health kick and has lost about 2 stone (14ib) at the last weigh in about a month ago. He has another 3 stone to loose by June/July time.

We've got the Olympics coming up and the road works around here in SE London are horrendous and the council try to put all the roads to right before the event begins. Why they allow the gas company to dig up roads and lay new pipeing at this time is really daft but they are.

So a really busy time all in all. Hope to keep you updated a bit more regularly but I never know how busy Im going to be.

Edited by Purdy Bear

It's been a long time since I've been here. My internet was off for several months so I am back online now, going to the library for an hour a few days a week to use the computers kept me very limited.

I thought did a good bit of canning last fall 60lbs of apples in one weekend. Plus, I helped my friend do her 60lbs too - she never canned before so it kept me pretty busy. I made 24 pts of jam as well, most of my canning stuff went to Christmas gifts, so now when I go look for something I want and I can't find it (like when I want to make apple crisp for my kids) I need to remind myself that my stuff went in the mail and gift baskets. Time to start putting $ aside for lots and lots of berries this summer to can my heart out. I am also hoping my garden will do better since I have a nice composter going and I hope it will make the soil healthier to have things grow.

I am getting back in to stocking up mode. I joined a company called Shelf Reliance as a consultant last summer, so I place a regular order every month for the yummiest dehydrated foods you can imagine. I had my first party earlier this month and got almost $100 in free food, plus $250 of food at half price. That is on top of my regular monthly order and the order I placed for my party. I am trying to get focused on what we need most, but at the same time, I can't do too much since we are planning a move for next year, from PA to Texas.

One thing I have decided to do every week is the following in order to grow my food storage/preps is to purchase every week:

1 case canning jars (any size until I have at least 500 jars) (my hubby may end up killing me over this since it will mean lots of weight when we move)

1 large pack of TP - I know, my husband hates this but I hate the fear of running out and we don't have any stocked I will quit at 24 packs and start when I am half down)

1 pouch tobacco and 1 box of cigarette tubes (my hubby rolls his own)this is how I will justify TP storage

1 block of coffee and 1 container of creamer for hubby

1 box of shelf stable almond milk

I have also decided to start making my own laundry detergent, after using Fels Naptha soap on stains, I realized that it is just awesome, and I am finally running out of what I had stocked from when I used Melaleuca. I even found a recipe online for dishwasher detergent, and I plan to do that too starting this week. I will save money one place so I can use it to do my emergency preps. I am still working on Bob's and I think I will plan one for hubby for too. He thinks I am nuts, but if and when we ever have to bug out, he will be happy.

I also have learned to budget for my food storage every month (one part time job paycheck) and I am a regular with the THRIVE Q food program through Shelf Reliance. I am determined not to have to stop shippments or orders until we are ready to move next spring. (again, the weight issue).

No, I have no clue where in Texas we are moving too. I am starting to research that now, looking for land we can reasonably afford and in a place that we can somehow, by the Grace of God, grow some of our own food, have chickens, goats, a pig or two and maybe a cow. My kids don't want to leave PA, it is all they have ever known their entire lives, but I am ready for a change, I hate the cold winters (this winter wasn't bad at all - more like spring) and my husband is a Florida native.

I hope to get back more often. I am not in school anymore so it shouldn't be as hard.

:thumbs: .......this woman has water covering nearly her whole yard...poultry pens, goat pens, etc....

........and she's canning up a storm. :o

Isnt' that some kind of Prepper Attitude Award???

MtRider [...you go, CGA!!! .....psst, then come to my house for a couple day canning marathon. :happy0203: ]

Keeping an eye on the blackberries. Looks like they're making up for the shortage last year. DD picked a dozen or so a couple of "daze" ago. I'm thinking next week when dh is home, I'll be up to my eyeballs in them. I hope so anyway so he can go pick while dd and I have school. Plums are coming in as well. They seem like they are both about 2 months early.

Went to a presentation on Shariah law by Christopher Holton the Center for Security Policy’s Vice President for Administration, Marketing & Development (started in the Regan years) . Very eye opening in some ways, confirmed what I knew in others and all of it scary!

Attending tonight a presentation by Dr. Charles Allen, a Senior Botanist with Colorado State University stationed at Fort Polk, Louisiana on edible and useful plants.

Still working on organizing and spring cleaning. Also may do some homemade noodles in the next couple days. Maybe some sourdough starter too if I can get just the right container for it out of my stuff. Still looking.

Sourdough would be so welcome at this point....

For me this is a prep. Im having the little stray dog we found neutered and his shots tomorrow. I have a dental appt on Mon for my last crown and a small cavity to be filled. Im a stickler on my dental health. Dont need any tetth problems with the shtf. Doing some more shopping for FD foods. Shopping for a grain mill. Any recommendations?

I picked up summer clothes, a rain/windbreaker and rain boots for DD and clothes the next size up (well over $250 for about $50). Have a lead on clothes for DDS1, too.

Was gifted a full stocked Melaluca first aid kit.

Plotted the garden out on paper.

Not alot but it's something

Actually, it sounds like a big score with all those kids clothes. And Melaluca is GREAT!

I'm flat-out :0327:

Tooooo much activity for the past 2+ weeks. Had to go fetch my horse from "visiting" at the neighbors this morning. DH is working like a dog to upgrade our sad fences. BBB is still in the much smaller paddock area until that's done (prolly this weekend). We've never brought in a new horse without having the old one(s) there to show 'em the ropes....and the boundries. Poor thing is bored and lonely. I spend time with him but ... At least the neighbor was able to walk right up to him and halter him for us. Whew! Looking for a horse in this terrain is nigh onto impossible! But their house/corrals would have been the first place I'd have looked cuz it's the nearest horses. They are herd animals!

Trying to rest AND get a dozen things done --- all in the same body. <_< Doesn't work well. :rolleyes:

PS: I've got Big Dog down there to kinda keep BBB company for now. Or...to set of her barking if BBB decides to attempt another 'visit'.

MtRider [...'morning all. :mornincoffee: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

This week Iv recieved more knitting wool, a hemostat - ear cleaning device for a dog, and some grooming scissors.

Iv also got three patterns, for hats, mittens, gloves for adults and children which also had matching attire for dogs.

The weather is going bonkers here, its up in the 20s so 10 more then the norm. At this rate I will have to get my Summer clothes out and thats a job and a half.

This week Iv recieved more knitting wool, a hemostat - ear cleaning device for a dog, and some grooming scissors.

Iv also got three patterns, for hats, mittens, gloves for adults and children which also had matching attire for dogs.

The weather is going bonkers here, its up in the 20s so 10 more then the norm. At this rate I will have to get my Summer clothes out and thats a job and a half.

Purdy~ Over the last two weeks, I had to pull all of the kids summer clothes out as well as some of mine. The past two days we were back in jeans and jackets. <_<

Was able to land two pairs of shorts and a pair of jeans for DD (2 sizes up but who cares) for a few bucks and a pair of shorts for DS1 for now and 2 shirts and a pair of pants (2 sizes up). The other girl I contacted about clothing for DS1responded so will try and take care of that sometime this week as well. She also had girl clothing so I'm trying to find out what size.

DH is going to run and pick up lumber to make more raised beds. I'm hoping I can get him to pick up potting soil so I can start some herbs in pots. I might try a cucumber in a large pot, trellised, also. We've had problems with powdery mildew and haven't planted anything in the squash or melon families for a year and want to go one more year in the garden but am thinking if I put it in my front area it might be alright.

We bought 2 gardening books: The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible by Edward C. Smith (his other book has been our go-to gardening book) and The Gardener's A-Z Guide to Growing Organic Food by Tanya L.K. Denckla.

I'm very good about cutting back spending. Books are my weakness, though! :wub::sEm_blush::happy0203:

Dh and I have begun putting together BOBs and a GHB for him.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

Our Kmart is closing and I ran in for something I was told they had for 60% off. They didn't but children's clothing was up to 70% off so I picked up a pair of jeans, sweatpants and shirt for DS1 in the next size up a pull over, and sweatshirt in the following size for about $20. A little more than I wanted to spend but I know he has a few things, too. They have kids rain-boots for 40% off so I might run in and pick up the next size for both of the big kids.Snow boots were pretty well picked over.