MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Had a Sunday School party at a miniature golf place that has an ice cream shop. I saw all those wonderful 2.5 gallon buckets with yummy ice cream stored in them. I asked the couple who run the shop what they do with the used plastic buckets and lids. :whistling:

We came home late last night with buckets and lids strapped to our motorcycles. Was quite a site! :laughkick:

I just got a vision of the Beverly Hillbillies. :008Laughing:

Hey! In the last few days I've gotten the duckhouse cleaned out AGAIN but this time I replaced the baffle (or the rain/snowmelt leaks into the nest boxes) before it became a slimy mess in there. :misc-smiley-231:

I've gotten a new tarp over the scaffolding that will shelter either straw or a big bale of hay. [still trying to figure out how to afford hay this year]

I've got the equine water tank ready to be plugged in, should this next weather front bring extended cold temps.

If I can get some of these ordinary pre-winter chores done, I can get back to focus on prep chores. I did find a ready/continuing supply of strong boxes to repack some things in my chaotic garage/basement. :cheer:

Today, at least, I feel like I've taken a few baby steps forward instead of taking a screamer on that greased slide backwards. :cheeky-smiley-067:

MtRider :rolleyes:

Only thing I have week is the pressure canner dh found. It came with a lot of lids too! Going grocery shopping tomorrow so I need to make a list of stuff to get.

Mt_Rider - That reminds me, I need to get our tanks set up too. This week should be less hectic (school :P) so I'll probably try getting them out and cleaned up before it starts getting too cool out.

Our neighbor cut down his dead pine tree and allowed us to take the wood and I managed to clear an area for another garden plot.

:cele:

Bought a new large freezer and had it delivered to new house. The old one is getting....old....and I want a spare in case it conks out.

Also picked up a smaller pressure canner - the 23 quart one is getting too heavy for me. I love pressure canners, and using them.

I placed a really big order ( for me) with Honeyville several days ago, it comes in any day now. It should help me get through winter easier.

I figured out for my money even with prices going up for what I spent at Honeyville with my other staples, I get more than 10 times what I would spend on fresh groceries for the money or maybe 8 times. it was still far more than local spending would get me and keeps a whole lot better!

Hoping my roof holds and I can stay here this winter. if not its alot easier to carry of cans of dry stuff than other stuff!

Teaching myself to knit mittens now that my hands feel better. If I can do three pair, should have them down ok and they will be useful here. Getting used to circular needles this way, which are far more comfortable than I had imagined!

Then Im working on some wool socks. Been saving the wool yarn for those!

Also getting acquainted with wood carving tools I had gotten and sharpening everything that can be sharpened. Working a small wooden tray occasionally this past week or so. It's coming along and am training hands and brain to use the tools better as I go. It's been so long since I did mechanical things.

Studying survival books and edibles plant cards and herbal books and such things to when Im not busy with tasks.

Tying up some loose social things and getting addy's for some overseas friends and writing to them too. How many of us really sit down and write letters anymore?

Quieting my heart, reinforcing it with God and focusing better. Trying to do catch up on things that needed to be done when the snow melted but I got very ill. Finally getting to the bottom of that and feeling better now.... hoping to get alot more done before the snow flies.

Quieting my heart, reinforcing it with God and focusing better.

That short, simple statement really made me think. I have been lacking in that department for quite sometime and I feel like it's time I get back where I should. Sometimes I think we just need to be reminded about what's really important.

Thank you.

This past week and a half was vacation for me, went with Mom and Dad to visit Grandma on Cape Cod, and clean out her gutters. Picked up some nice cookbooks at some antique stores, including a 1947 edition of The Boston Cook-School Cookbook. and three othercookbooks focusing on seafood.

Got a pretty spoonrest from Sydenstricker Glass (they have a really neato way of sandwishing colored poweders between two layers of molten glass). I needed something for my stove, that I'm constantly messing up with saucy spoons and the like. Not exactly a prep item, as such. . . but it will help things stay clean. And perty!!

Got two new turtlenecks for winter, and a selection of autumnal themed handtowels for the oven and bathroom.

Came home and stocked up on TP (One pack from BJ's will last me about a year or more, lol, so I'm good until next fall. . .). Also got some bulbs to plant in the flower bed.

Yesterday, helped dad with his gutters, and then he came over to my place to hold the ladder while I checked my gutters. He also brought his chain saw to deal with the large walnut branch that came down during the hurricane. So finally got that cleared so I can mow it this weekend.

The local grocery store is having sale on whole boneless center cut pork loins for $1.99/lb. That's almost half-price! :whistling:

The chunk is 10 pounds and will be cut into individual loin chops (about $3.50/lb) and packaged for the freezer.

It can't get much cheaper than that. All I need is a sharp knife and a weight scale. :wink (2):

Edited by Homesteader

The local grocery store is having sale on whole boneless center cut pork loins for $1.99/lb. That's almost half-price! :whistling:

The chunk is 10 pounds and will be cut into individual loin chops (about $3.50/lb) and packaged for the freezer.

It can't get much cheaper than that. All I need is a sharp knife and a weight scale. :wink (2):

**Cat grabs gofish and heads over to see which "local" store it is...** sportcar3.gif

(Edited to add... FOUND IT!!! Martin's)

(Edited again to add... ALSO at Meijer! :blink: But I think theirs are halves.)

Meat under $2/lb and veg/fruit under $1/lb is getting harder and harder to find around here. I grab when I can get it. :thumbs:

I hosted another petting zoo today. One of the little ones even drinks goat milk so petting and feeding my darlings strands of alfalfa stem was a special treat for children and goats. Show the kids where their food comes from.

Last nite, donkey got into the hay/alfalfa stored under my porch...since she's now got free rein reign of the place. :baseballbat: She sneaks around during the night but is innocently back in the pasture by morning. NOW we know what BigDog has been barking at every evening or any hour of the night! I went out with the floodlight and caught her tail-end trotting down the driveway. What a mess and it's not healthy for her to eat rich alfalfa. Sure wasting my time to keep cleaning up after her maurading ways. :0327:

MtRider [ ...brat donkey for sale; comes with free companion horse..... :happy0203: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Everybody sure has been busy!

I just got a laminator and lots of pouches from Amazon to protect important papers in the BOBs. Now to find energy to actually DO it! Really tired today for some reason.

Picked up a case of tomato sauce and diced tomatoes when I went grocery shopping Monday. I've also been researching apple tree varieties to plant this fall. i finally decided on what kinds, now just need to decide how many!

Im canning in my new canner so I can get practice plus put up protein foods: beef stew chunks, chicken chunks, cheese( cheddar, mozzarella and swiss), pickled eggs, and soybeans. I am having trouble finding my directions for canned soys. Anybody got a good one?

Kappy, I've never heard of canning soy beans. I guess I never thought about it.

I did find this recipe on line though. Nothing fancy, just beans:

Canning Soybeans

3 lb to 5 lb in pods makes 1 quar

You must really rush soybeans from the field to the jar, they start to lose

flavor almost as soon as they're picked. Soybeans have to be briefly

boiled

before processing. All the basic equipment is used.

1. Choose only young, tender beans.

2. Organize and prepare equipment and work area.

3. Wash, drain, and shell beans. Wash again.

4. Cook beans in just enough boiling water to cover for 3 minutes. Pack

beans into hot jars to within 1 inch of tops. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt to

pints, 1 teaspoon to quarts, if desired. Pour in boiling water to within 1

inch of tops of jars.

5. Run a slim, non metal tool down along the inside of each jar to release

air bubbles. Add more boiling liquid to fill to within 1 inch of tops.

6. Wipe tops and threads of jars with a damp clean cloth.

7. Put on lids and screw bands as manufacturer directs.

8. Process at 10 pounds pressure, 55 minutes for pints, 1 hour and 5

minutes for quarts. Follow manufacturer's directions for your canner.

9. Follow basic steps for steam pressure canning, 10 through 24.

Source: Vegetable Gardening Encyclopedia Typos by Dorothy Flatman 1995

Converted by MC_Buster.

http://www.recipes.eu.com/recipe717536.html

thank you, Jeepers. Im canning more, in case of power outages. In the new city house, I don't know if/when/how often than happens, so what the heck.

Canned soybeans are like the edemame you get on the salad at McD's, maybe a little softer like canned peas. Taste OK though.

I'm putting more and more of my food into canning and dehydrating in case of a power outage too. Plus, I don't have a lot of freezer space yet so I'm saving that for food I can't can.

I like having my food in different forms so if one fails me, like a power outage, I will still have a backup supply.

OK...this week I...came back here.

LOL

I attempted to buy a new pressure regulator for my canner (who knows where it is) and discovered a harsh lesson: Write down the model number somewhere, anywhere, and keep it forever. My canner has no model number on it directly, and the paperwork is long gone. Guess what info I need to order a new pressure regulator? DH won't be pleased when I tell him I need a new pressure canner. Well at least this way I'll have another water bath canner.

I talked to a few friends about the co-op I want to set up. Once a month we'll be ordering in bulk from somewhere online (and hopefully able to get a reduction for larger purchases) and going to Sam's club, with everyone who needs something pitching in for gas, with two of us going to handle the shopping. We do have a co-op in our county but they mostly order from Frontier which is ridiculously overpriced on many items. They aren't open on the only days I can go shopping, and they can't provide me with a catalog, even online-they also have a huge membership fee, which we can eliminate by only ordering what our members actually need. They also don't carry enough of any one item to make it worth it to me to pay someone to take me there-the one time I went the four pounds of organic pinto beans I bought cleared them out-and that was only four meals for us. They can, of course, special order in larger amounts for me, but I can get it cheaper by going in with friends from vendors other than Frontier.

I dehydrated several pounds of pears this week, which was the first sticky stuff I've done in there. Pulled them off and found tiny pieces of plastic on them from where the trays hadn't been fully cut from the molds. So I need a new one of those too. I'll be saving for a big one this spring. I need to build a dehydrating area too-we had some major bear issues in the new house and I know if I leave the dehydrator going outside in the summer overnight that the bears will get into it. Not quite sure how to make that bear proof but I will figure it out.

Also started doing a pretty detailed list of what we need for everything. That will help me focus our purchases better.

Mo7

Mo7, Be careful trying to do anything "bear proof". It's nearly impossible. Bears can tear even locked doors off of cars. They eat chainlink for breakfast... :P No, really. That's one of the annoying things...I can't possibly have bee hives. Pooh...and Tigger too, would raid them. Not neatly, either. :tapfoot: For that matter, we had several Home Invasions up here ....bears. You might get by for a while if the bears migrate to upper elevations during part of the summer.... :unsure:

Only way I could think would be to hang a dehydrator and run it up and down with a pulley. Like back country campers do. Make sure you are not attracting bears by having it there tho.

Or have you heard of something I need to know about????

MtRider [...glad to have my CO buddy back at MrsS!! ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Most canners use the same basic weight or one of two or three. I have swapped weights between canners without any problem. Can you tell us the brand name of your canner?

Mo7 - next time, spray your drying trays with a light coating of pam - it works like a charm! And, it's "Violet" approved!

I've been cleaning out the pantry, using up soon to expire foods, and gearing up to empty out the freezers of summer berries and meats. I need more room for TURKEYS! So, even though I have almost no time, I'm going to schedule a marathon canning session. I've also been doing some inventoring - and making lists of things I need to replenish. If only there were more hours in the day!

Oh, I also stocked up on paper products. I hadn't bought any in almost a year. Talk about sticker shock!

I dehydrated several pounds of pears this week, which was the first sticky stuff I've done in there. Pulled them off and found tiny pieces of plastic on them from where the trays hadn't been fully cut from the molds. So I need a new one of those too. I'll be saving for a big one this spring. I need to build a dehydrating area too-we had some major bear issues in the new house and I know if I leave the dehydrator going outside in the summer overnight that the bears will get into it. Not quite sure how to make that bear proof but I will figure it out.

Also started doing a pretty detailed list of what we need for everything. That will help me focus our purchases better.

Mo7

Friend of mine loves dried pears. They dust them with a lemonade mix powder before drying. No sticking. Flavor is pretty good also.

Canned 8 pints of grapejelly. They turned out rather thick so when we use them they´ll get diluted first. Cos now it´s like a bouncy ball or could fix a tractor tire :grinning-smiley-044:

Am dehydrating pumpkin and seeds at the moment.

Caved in and ordered a

Cocaoplant

Cinnamonplant

Seeds for

coffeeplants, teaplants, camphor, and various others.

It means we´ll not eat meat for the next week (way more expensive overhere) but worth it. Will be setting up a small greenhouse at the windowsill. There´s only so much cinnamon I can buy and mylar up. Worth a try to grow it indoors. There is a forum on exotic plant growers here and I might join them for info.

Called the neighbours at the BOL and asked if they can take in all pumpkins and zucchini´s growing there. It started freezing here at night and it frooze a lot harder there apparently. Neighbour´s flowers died overnight in the sudden frost.

So their son is harvesting all things edible for me and putting them in the bathroom since it´s the warmest room while the house is unheated.

Hope to be able to go there quickly to take care of things.

Currently freezing two of the two-liter bottles of dried lentils, one of some kind of Mexican white bean, one of the tiny red field peas my husband so loves, one of red kidneys, and a separate gallon jar of red kidneys.

Someone moved my jug caps, or I'd have more done. <_<