MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Mt Rider, try keeping dry ginger root on hand. I like the chopped rather than powder for drinks because you can brew your tea then strain out the chopped root thru a tea strainer, which you cannot do with the powdered root.

Drink the tea hot with honey or cool it, add some vit C powder (or open a capsule to dump in) and a tad of baking soda and serve over ice. The vit c and baking soda will make it fizz.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbs: I'll try that. I've got a jar of instand ginger tea [Asian market]. Mebbe just some baking soda to that? The fizz is a part of settling stomach??? Yes or no? Or is it just what we expect from 7-up?

MtRider

Reorganizing my food stores,took some that were close on dates to the food pantry that I knew we wouldn't use before the dates were out.Do all of you use outdated food?If so,how far out of date? I learned to use pinking shears when I was sewing clothes and they are used to keep cottons and wovens from raveling and to trim seams under facing as the little noches make it easier to turn.

I use outdated all the time. But with some descretion. The cooler it's been stored, the longer it will go. I have the advantage of super-not-humid climate and a very cool-to-nearly freezing basement.

If it's going to be more than a bit stale...really rank, I won't use it.

Beyond taste: Oils will go rancid and it's toxic. If something has oils, be more conservative in how far over the date you'll go. Cooler makes a big difference with oils. Light too, I think.

Canned goods easily go past date. But anything dented ....well, it's best to not buy dented to begin with, IMO. :shakinghead: Soda in aluminum cans will be foul if it gets really old. [i don't know HOW old but I had some ancient cans that prolly eroded into the metal itself. yuk! TOXIC ]

Of course we know about the things that have no discernable date at which they are no longer usable. Sugar, salt, properly stored whole grains, T.P. :D , etc.

I've recently gone thru my stock of tea....which was unwisely stored above my stove. :banghead: :yuk3: Some are fine but I had some that might have been around since the Mayflower. Gonna be clearing out some kitchen cupboards. Might find some room. :rolleyes: But the bulk of my stuff belongs in the cool basement.

MtRider :dusting:

I learned to use pinking shears when I was sewing clothes and they are used to keep cottons and wovens from raveling and to trim seams under facing as the little noches make it easier to turn.

Thanks!

Beyond taste: Oils will go rancid and it's toxic. If something has oils, be more conservative in how far over the date you'll go. Cooler makes a big difference with oils. Light too, I think.

Mt Rider, I didn't know that about oils. How do you know they're rancid (obviously, not tasting :yuk:), but will they look or smell differently? We have canola oil and olive oil here. Interested to hear more...

Dehydrated 20lbs of apricots. Canned up 8 pints of zuccini and 12 half pints of apricot jam. Wrote out a list of things to make a bulk order of this month. :cakeslice:

Dehydrated Broccoli, Zucchini, Yellow Squash and Carrots. Roasted and canned 1 fat Chicken, which only came out to 2 Quarts! LOL!

Ordered Summit Park Down Sleeping Bag for me, and the Lost Ranger Down sleeping bag for DH, both from Big Agnes Brand. 20% off with a free pillow each! A blow up liner slides in the back side and stays put. Perfect for the BOB's and even though I am only 5'1", I got a big/roomy bag so that Gilmour Von BarkBark will have room at the bottom. He likes to poke his head out from under the covers, so I am glad for both of us that there is a zippered foot vent!

Re-worked my BOB for the Thousandth time. Now that I use a Diva cup I don't need a dozen tampons taking up precious food space in my BOB.

Added Talon rubberized grip tape to my Ruger LCP. It feels great and I cannot wait to get back to the range.

Must sleep now...Goodnight all!!!

Out of the Ordinary - Thanks. It's early days yet, but with crossed fingers and good care he will do well.

Nicole - It has at last returned to normal just in time for the Olympics.:darlenedance:

I've started the massive declutter of my bedroom while Dad's in hospital so I can use his room for some of the treasures I find to go back in there. I only started on Sunday so it is early days and Ive got two carrier bags of stuff for the charity shop already.

The Olympics is my main preps as it gives me lots of ideas about transport, things to get and so on. :eclipsee_Victoria:

"Please pick up some Fusion Razor Blades and Foodsaver Bags from Sam's Club," DH texted me. So I did! Those Razors were $45!!! I figured I better grab some Razors for myself too...and those Foodsaver bags are $39 for the multi pack and that is the best price we have found...so I bought 2 sets. And well those Organic Cliff Bars are so great for my EDC...and I guess I should stock up on some Mucinex, Acetaminophen, Nighttime Acetaminophen with Dyphenhydramine, and more Ibuprophen, and Vitamin C, and Nitrile Gloves. 2-4 Packs of Degree 24 hour Deodorant, and 2-4 Packs of Secret Clinical Protection Deodorant.

Oh, and Coffee and Vanilla Syrup are a must!

I was almost late for work! Arrived @ work with 1 minute to spare, and $300.00 less in the bank. No more shopping for a while!

jc - Are the Clif bars cheaper at Sam's? I love Clif bars for keeping in my GHB, I rotate through them when I forget lunch and eat those at work...lol I spend about $23 for a 24 pack on Amazon. I've been needing to get more, but if they're cheaper at Sam's I'll have my mom pick some up next time she's there.

I had to look up the ingredients for those things. No thanks. I don't do soy.

I've made an energy bar from honey, powdered milk and peanut butter that is real good. You can add other things like nuts if you like. I don't remember the proportions, but basically I put some regular powdered milk into a zip bag then put in pb and scrunched it around till it was well mixed then added honey and scrunched it some more. When you get the proportions right it won't be sticky and will ball up in the bag. Then just take out portions and wrap in plastic wrap.

@ Nicole: This month I paid $18.98 for a 24 pack of Organic Cliff Bars @ Sams Club. Last month Sams did an e-value for an automatic $2.00 off @ the register! I hope they so that again...;) They are rediculouly delicious, a good portion size with substantial chewing required, meaning, I can't just gobble them down because they taste good!

@ CGA: I almost didn't buy those Cliff Bars because there were soy nuts in them and I like to limit my soy and wheat. Lara Bars are my other favorite and are soy/wheat free! Haven't tried making my own just yet. How hard can it be? Thanks for the idea!

Re stocked up on bottled water for the car, we rotate. Stopped of at Walmart and picked up 5 lbs of rice and 1 lb each of black beans, great northern, small red beans,light red kidney beans, and navy beans.

I had to look up the ingredients for those things. No thanks. I don't do soy.

I've made an energy bar from honey, powdered milk and peanut butter that is real good. You can add other things like nuts if you like. I don't remember the proportions, but basically I put some regular powdered milk into a zip bag then put in pb and scrunched it around till it was well mixed then added honey and scrunched it some more. When you get the proportions right it won't be sticky and will ball up in the bag. Then just take out portions and wrap in plastic wrap.

Those are the same ingredients I use to make peanut butter balls...been making them for my kids for years.

This week, I've been very busy decluttering, organising my bedroom. I've found a lot of winter clothes and office wear I need but don't need in Wardrobe or drawers so I've bagged Them up for the loft/attic. My projects are way out of hand, and I've tried storing them in numerous flimsy boxes and they just don't work. I'm think of trying moving boxes or fruit boxes/crates to see if they will actually hold up. I've got rid of three carrier bags of paper and I'm sure there will be more as I have yet to get into the study zone.

Dad's feeling better his getting back to his cantackerous self and talking of doing an escape from the ward. :grinning-smiley-044: I told him not to be so daft and wait until the nurses and Doctors tell him that he can go home. I am enjoying the rest. I do lots in the morning, then rest in the afternoon which normally equals the Olympic finals on TV.:eclipsee_Victoria:

I've received some DVD RWs and plastic cases in readiness to transfer my VCR tapes over, I just need to work out how on my machine. The manual is like reading a degree technical book and totally goes over my head. I hate geek manuals.:frying pan:

Anyone know of a good natural treatment for spots. I've had three lots of antibiotics and they wont budge. Weirdly they are all centred on my spine at the back of my neck, very strange. I will probably have to go back to the Drs yet again if I can't get rid of the them.:ph34r:

Edited by Purdy Bear

Purdy Bear, do you have any silver iodide ointment for burns? Try some of that. It kills bacteria, fungus, viral stuff. Might help.

Oil of Oregano is good for same, too.

Other thought, could it be shingles in a small amount? Does it itch?

I had a small amount of shingles on both insteps in my twenties. Yes, it requires having had chicken pox when you were younger. Usually elderly people are the most susceptible but anything that irritates the immune system can bring on shingles.

I am just wondering, because I am not sure it even itches or what the spots actually look like.

Of course if it's actually some type of skin infective thing then antibiotics should work. But if its anything else, they wouldn't necessarily work.

The spots aren't shingles I've had them checked by 2 Drs, and they say mini boils. They are across my shoulders but center on my spine going up into the hair line. I tried some antibacterial soap today to see if that would work. I hate to have to go back to the Drs again. I know toothpaste is said to work but can irritate the skin so if the soap doesn't work I will try those. Oh these boils have gone on for nearly 3 months now, and I've had 3 courses of antibiotics. They start of like a little pimple, then get bigger and just wont budge.

I know we can get salves for boils but usually a doctor will drain them and fix a method so they can continue to drain out, like a wick. Has he made any such suggestion to you on this technique ? It would be monitored frequently by the doctor until its completed.

You might be able to get the salve for them, but it may have to be prescribed there?

Agree with building your immune system up and reducing stressors.... ignore my rants, lol... about the system collapsing and what I plan on doing to CYA myself outside, lol.

reduce intense thinking in other words. ( it helps me although I still have times where I cannot do that very easily). But it helps somewhat. This reduces the stressors affecting your immune system. Try to get more rest. Try to eat as well as you can. If you are not taking vitamins , a multivitamin usually can help beef up all systems. Our food produced today that we get at the market just doesn't have the nutrients it used to have. After a while, our bodies cannot resist things as well . If you have a garden and such , thats awesome. It would make a huge difference in what you are eating or can afford a good variety of organic stuff at a store, but if not, a simple multivitamin with a meal, helps in general. Garlic, onions, cabbage, greens, reds, yellows, mushrooms if you like them..... chili peppers with meats and cheesey dishes, or beans. Cinnamon. Its simple stuff but it goes a long way for immune response and anti inflammatory needs. Also good for antibiotic stuff, the garlic and onions. Mushrooms feed the brain and certain physiological processes that probably need some ramping up right now.

Pace yourself as much as you can. This may mean spreading out stuff more so it doesn't keep you at whatever stress level your body is protesting .... so what if it takes a few more days to get to some task you really wanted to get to on Monday? If you get to it in a weeks time as long as it wasn't going to spoil or something, then thats fine. Get the idea? It gives you a chance to take some breaks here and there during the week and gives your mind and body some needed rest.

Turn your computer off an hour or so before you want to sleep. Read a book instead that is relaxing, not one that will keep you thinking intently, but instead makes you smile and go along with the flow of the story. Something that makes you feel good. Or knitting or something. But nothing that requires planning, layouts and stuff that require intense brain work..... or do mundane things to tidy up or take a long hot shower and soak your neck area and shoulders and back and any sore muscles. Pamper yourself. You will probably sleep better. This all gives your body a turn around if you are not doing this, and eventually something will help get rid of the boils.

We get going and we forget to mind the store, a lot of times in this fast society and fast times full of crisis and excitement.

Got our two female cats spayed this week. I know it doesn't seem like a prep to lots, but the last thing I want is to be holed up in this trailer with two squawking cats when :smiley_shitfan: !

Filled the freezer with a good deal. Restocked the husband's get home bag with a few things he had used and not told me.

Also picked up a container of the Honey Powder at Walmart - has anyone tried this one? I hope it was worth it.

The spots aren't shingles I've had them checked by 2 Drs, and they say mini boils. They are across my shoulders but center on my spine going up into the hair line. I tried some antibacterial soap today to see if that would work. I hate to have to go back to the Drs again. I know toothpaste is said to work but can irritate the skin so if the soap doesn't work I will try those. Oh these boils have gone on for nearly 3 months now, and I've had 3 courses of antibiotics. They start of like a little pimple, then get bigger and just wont budge.

You can try Ichthammol Ointment I always used it for boils. It is a drawing ointment that worked for my family. Looks like tar smells about the same :D but it draws out the infection.