MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Out of the Ordinary - Love the sound of those books. Check out the website Knitting Pattern Central (see below link), they have tutorials, free patterns and also converstion to crochet:

http://knittingpatterncentral.com/

This week it has been very very busy. I've been doing the decluttering, organsing and moving stuff around in the bedroom. It still looks like a bombs hit it but I hope it will come together soon.:twister3::shrug::behindsofa: If there was one I would enter the praying hands here LOL!

Then we had the Occupational Therapists here to access the house for Dad's return, we will have to dismantle three bits of furniture to get in a hospital bed etc for him so that is going to be fun and have a release date which needs to be confirmed. Most of my time has been calling relatives to update them, and ordering the stuff the hospital/nhs wont provide. It's all good preps to go towards a medical room at some point.

I'm taking the afternoons off to watch the Olympics, which is just up the road from me, which I am thoroughly enjoying but I am glad it's finishing tonight so I can get on with the rest of the housework I need to do. I've also got a humongous pile of home tapes to put onto DVD now I know the basics how to do it. We have a two week break and then the Paralympics start.:woohoo:

Edited by Purdy Bear
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world spinning closer to lots of things that seem scary. Weather, politics, economics, .... Urgency to buy this and that before prices soar. Prep this and secure that. Learn new skill sets and hone old ones.

So what have I done to prepare this week...last week...the previous week? :gaah:

I've done basically....NOTHING...for the past 3 wks. Just after Maui family went home, I came down with the virus DD1 had been troubled with. Dealt with that for several days. :fever: And THEN the whole past 3 months just CRASHED upon me. :0327:

I've been getting good, long nightime sleep, yet I wake DIZZY, weak, wobbly. I lay there in the morning, thinking of all the things I can do today...hope to do today....NEED TO DO THIS DAY..... But even if I feel ok, when I rise up to vertical.. :grinning-smiley-044: Several days I've had to have help to simply reach the bathroom. After being up for a few minutes, it's not quite so bad but very soon I return to bed. I've been mostly in bed and horizontal for these 3 wks. I had a few exception days just after recovering from the virus but then recovery-fatigue-thing actually worsened this past week. Aiiiieee!

It's hot summer and the MS acts up. :knary: Even if our monsoon rains are actually keeping us cooler now, I run a low grade fever in late summer. Beyond the normal heat issues, this episode is also payback on all the massive "energy loans" I extracted during the unbeleivable events since May.

Oddly, tho it's happened before, I get a reprieve about 8pm. At that late hour, I can be upright for a few hours without dizziness/severe weakness. I can cook supper/clear kitchen, do a few things. I even rode the horse once. Then I get tired and go to bed ... start it all over again the next day.

I get up and down all day...cuz totally being in bed is not good. B.P. gets wacked, I think. But the dizziness drives me rather quickly back to a horizontal position. From that position, I really feel ok. Just cannot be upright. :gaah: So I can talk on phone, read, listen to book tapes, [thanking God I love reading!], and work on laptop (somewhat). Normally, I get this in the fall. That's a bit confusing this year but with all that's happened...... :shrug:

And just when I'm getting quite cranky and impatient with it.... :busted:

THIS MORNING.... :darlenedance: ....er, no. I'm not yet dancing, especially in circles. [ Does that smilie make anyone else dizzy?] Anyway, I am improved! It's releasing! :cele: I'm not dizzy and wobbly. I cooked ham/eggs/rice. I will have little stamina for a while yet but.....the recovery siege is nearly over. :cheer:

IMPORTANT TO NOTE:

Enduring a recovery period is not doing 'nothing'. It's very difficult and challenging to lay about getting nothing ELSE accomplished. BUT it is necessary. So if any of you have to endure recovery from anything...injury, illness, long-term/reoccuring health issues, whatever..... I can sympathize! :grouphug: Hang in there and remember....it really is NOT 'doing nothing'. [ :yar: just feels like it! ;) ]

MtRider :amen:

Sort of a prep and sort of not, but I'm taking my Jeep Liberty in this weekend to get the windows tinted. I love that vehicle but the windows are clear and with no trunk, you can see everything in it just by walking by. Now I'll be able to load it up at Sams or where ever and not feel so conspicuous. I know...I'm justifying! But I've wanted them tinted since I bought it. If I'd known it was "only" $200.00 for all the windows except windshield, I'd have done it sooner. Gauranteed as long as I own the car. I might think about a hitch for it next year.

I read they just stopped making this style of Jeep so I've decided to hang on to it and baby it. No rust that I know of, 4 new tires this year and just under 60,000 miles. Two little parking lot dings that I can live with.

So, on the way home from making the tinting appointment, the air conditioner went out. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Just hope it doesn't start to nickle and dime me now...sigh.

Made a trip to pick up powdered milk (Yup, we used it all! :shrug: ) The Aldi's we stopped at ordered too many fresh chicken breast for 99cents a pound, so they rang up -$2! Most packs had 4 pounds in them, so 50cents a pound!!!! Happy dance for me!:cheer: Not one of the deals where the best buy date was today either!

I surely hope your are well enough to come to Darlene's. I have wished to meet you for years.

:unsure: Me?

Oh....I'll be needing to be well enough by then for sure! :grouphug: The Gathering was so much fun last time. I hope everyone that is trying can come this time. Looks like quite a crowd in making plans.

Well folks, today makes me smile! :happy0203: With DH doing {almost} all the lifting, hefting, hoisting, .....and me directing and sorting and deciding..... we made some serious shifts in my danged garage/basement area. We had some camping/BugOut equipment that HAD to fit in there somehow. Well, I look and ponder and plan way ahead of time. I knew basically what shift needed to happen. The details of it come along as we begin to move stuff. I've always been gifted with puzzles. [course, us packrats ALWAYS have to find ways to hide all our stuff :whistling: ]

I am constantly reminded of that old puzzle: The small device with numbers 1-8 and then ONE blank space. You have to slide the numbered pieces around to get them in numerical order. [think: early Rubic's cube] With ONLY free space....it was always a challenge. THAT is my basement!!!

I was trying really hard to keep from overstepping my new functioning...recently outta bed. I was trembling at one point but lunch fixed that. The biggest problem with these massive shifts is that many things have to go outside to make that free space to work with. THEN...you aren't done/can't stop until everything is back inside. The final hour was just getting everything IN...not necessarily in it's final resting spot. But...we did that portion. :cele:

...and we found an item that I KNEW I'd put with preps but couldn't find. Was of great concern. So today I moved a backpack and .... :rolleyes: DH snatched it up so fast...as tho I was going to put it somewhere and lose it again. Hmmph! Well it had to be SOMEwhere, didn't it? :whistling: 'Knew it would turn up eventually,' she mutters. ;)

MtRider [...gaining ORDER from chaos, finding lost things, and taking inventory on some grocery stock......a very good day! :amen: ]

Sort of a prep and sort of not, but I'm taking my Jeep Liberty in this weekend to get the windows tinted. I love that vehicle but the windows are clear and with no trunk, you can see everything in it just by walking by. Now I'll be able to load it up at Sams or where ever and not feel so conspicuous. I know...I'm justifying! But I've wanted them tinted since I bought it. If I'd known it was "only" $200.00 for all the windows except windshield, I'd have done it sooner. Gauranteed as long as I own the car. I might think about a hitch for it next year.

I read they just stopped making this style of Jeep so I've decided to hang on to it and baby it. No rust that I know of, 4 new tires this year and just under 60,000 miles. Two little parking lot dings that I can live with.

So, on the way home from making the tinting appointment, the air conditioner went out. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Just hope it doesn't start to nickle and dime me now...sigh.

Hummm. Got in the Jeep today and the air now works. :shrug: Not complaining mind you.

My pleasure.

I've had a real busy couple of days. I've had to get a medical room ready, so ordered a lot of supplies such as bedding, bed pans, towels, etc. On top of this I've had to virtually clean the house from bottom upwards, I just can't believe how bad it was. :clothesline:

I've sorted out a new daily and weekly schedule so I can keep on top of it. I have surprised myself how much I can do each day with good rest periods in between. I've designated today as a rest day so I am currently watching the highlights of the Olympic opening ceremony.:bighug2:

It is so hot today you wouldn't believe as the UK goes through yet another mini heat wave. It is going to be 31 this afternoon, so definate relaxation weather. I just can't function well when it's this hot. Most houses here don't have air conditioning, so I've just got an electric fan on the go at the moment.B)

Mr. Gibbs canned up 20lbs of ground beef this week. I dehydrated 10 lbs of tomatoes and 5 lbs of peppers. My girls and I picked 20lbs of peaches. I'm dehydrating 10 lbs and canning the others. Along with some strawberries and apricots. Picked an extra 6lbs of tomato from the garden and I'll be canning up some salsa tonight.

I did medical preps. I had a mommogram, pap smear and a bone density. Now I need to concentrate on what water filter I want. Its between a Berkey or a Seychelle. Seychelle filters out radioactive particles. But its plasctic. I need to make a decision like now. Next check will be going on food food and more food. the Ill be in very good shape, I hope.

I did medical preps. I had a mommogram, pap smear and a bone density. Now I need to concentrate on what water filter I want. Its between a Berkey or a Seychelle. Seychelle filters out radioactive particles. But its plasctic. I need to make a decision like now. Next check will be going on food food and more food. the Ill be in very good shape, I hope.

I have a Berkey, but now I wish I would have gotten one of these LifeSaver filter systems. The video explains a lot.

Today DH found an older dehydrator for $5. At first I was irritated because if it didn't work it would be the second one we've gotten at a yardsale that hasn't worked! lol But it's actually doing a decent job. Kinda makes me want to try out the other older one I have. I'm thinking it might have been to humid last time I tried it.

Got super lucky today and hit upon a bunch of markdown meat at the grocery store, so my freezer is full again. :cele: Talk about a happy husband when he saw my arms full as he was bringing me a cart!

Also stopped by the thrift store, got him a brand new military issue jumpsuit and pair of Levis for $1.29 each, plus two cast iron pans that need some loving for $1.29 each too. Also found a little shelf to keep his boots on so I don't keep tripping on them by the door for $2.99. It was a good day to shop! :D

Sunday morning I butchered a chicken for the first time! I need more practice! lol

LOL - Welcome back, Aof5!

Nichole - Well? How was it? Was this a chicken you've raised for awhile? I'm thinking I want to finally make the step to chickens but I just don't know if I would be able to butcher an animal that I've become attached to - and yes, I would get attached . . .

I'm also thinking of a few rabbits to produce fertilizer for the garden, but again, the only way to really make this work is to breed them, butcher, and eat them. Sigh . . . I need to toughen up. My problem is that I often prefer the company of animals over people!