MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Spent the afternoon w/son emptying out the upstairs apartment at our "homestead" so he can move in. He's out of work and can't pay rent, utilities etc. This way he can have a roof over his head and food in his belly until he gets a job (pray!) and can get on his feet. Mom lives in the lower unit and pays us $1 a year for the rest of her life. Makes her life much easier! Anyway...the remodeling on the house we're wanting to move into has come to a stop for the time being, so we'll just stay in the house we currently own. Thank God they're paid for!!! Hubby's had carpentry/home repair work coming to him like a flood...that's GOOD! Living on only ss can be pretty tough when you own 3 houses and have to pay taxes & insurance etc. BUT...when 2 are sold we'll be full-time RVers until Mom transfers to heaven...then we'll live in the lower unit of the homestead. So...my day has been VERY full! Hugs to all my friends here! They're busy little beavers too..LOL

Made 7 pts of the most delicious, gourmet marmalade I ever tasted, bar none. (Yes, I'm very humble. LOL) Now if I only had an orange tree. (Need a greenhouse here, gets too cold some yrs for citrus.)

I saw a Petco sign while I was out today and it reminded me of a topic here. So, I went in and got 2 containers of the 'Kwick Stop' powder with Benzocaine that they use if you cut a dogs nails too short and it bleeds.

And I don't have a dog. :ph34r:

Strike!

Realized we were almost out of soap so had to make a batch today. Now I'm out of shortening. LOL Shoulda bought more last trip to town.

Reving up prepping skills: Dh and I went to shoot today. Discovered that one new type of ammo jams in the revolver so duly MARKED that box as such. It was supposed to be for any bear encounters that I just can't EXIT from :o but not if it jams. Needed that data! Next type did well. Reviewed some things that my brain needs to review. Even shot with my off-hand. Pleased with both of our results....and it was fun! :happy0203:

Tried the shotgun and sheeeeeeeesh! [20 not 12] I STILL get knocked around. Not even the shoulder but kicks my back out! OW! OK from hip tho. Gotta adapt and I'm not planning to shoot ducks. :duck 1: Wouldn't want to practice that very long.

MtRider [ pleased with a different PING this day. :darth duck: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

New winter work boots and a new winter work coat for DH. Both were much-needed items! Employer reimburses us for part of the boots, so that helps with the cost. He's been putting off buying a new winter work coat for the past couple winters, trying to get one more year out of the old one. I insisted we finally get him a new one this year.

Weird part was the store we usually buy Carhartt coats in, didn't have them in yet. Worker said it'd be another 2-3 weeks. A clothing store we were in didn't have much out in the lines of winter clothes yet, either. I thought that was a little odd...

Stocked up a little yesterday, on multiples of toilet issue, kleenex, paper towel, ketchup,veg. juice, some meats, first aid, (woefuly under on sterile pads and gauze, I found out this past week with my sore finger stuff.) and four pair of jeans. I will have to "leave more on the pantry shelves"......three pair of jeans were too small so they need to go back.

From one store to another, in the same parking lot, the paper towel pkgs. I bought differed in price by $6.02. Sheesh!

I did find that the Wal Mart super centre I was at, didn't have any gas cans, save two small ones. There were two empty shelves where the larger containers would have been. It felt scary and I want to get back to the city for more STUFF. We have large gas tanks on the farm so I asked dh to fill 'em up as soon as we're able to. I'll be checking on the propane tank (our main source of heat) too.

There were four person tents on clearance for less than eight dollars, as well as air mattreses. We have a large tent but this little pop up would work in the living room in front of the fire place,to contain heat for sleeping in at night, should we loose power. Our house is an open concept bungalow so it is difficult to heat such a space. I'm thinking of putting hooks up to hang tarps or quilts across the hall way and living room. They are little things that will make a difference.

I saw a Petco sign while I was out today and it reminded me of a topic here. So, I went in and got 2 containers of the 'Kwick Stop' powder with Benzocaine that they use if you cut a dogs nails too short and it bleeds.

And I don't have a dog. :ph34r:

Emphasis mine ^^ . This made me laugh :)

Last time I made a batch of homemade detergent I used an old salad shooter. It worked great! Soo much faster and it saved my knuckles :) Which reminds me, I need to make more!

Added to my toilet paper stash. After all, I do have to keep up with it to maintain my Co-queen of the TP status. :happy0203:

There was a good sale and $1 off coupons stuck on each package (to save $1 off 1 pack). Couldn't pass that up!

I've been going thru my prescription meds and I think I have a 3 mo. supply of all of them, not so lucky with my dad, but I'm trying to get his also. Also been adding to my general medical OTC supplies...aspirin, tylenol, flu meds and getting that in order.

Don't have a lot of extra money to catch much up now, but have been buying everytime I'm at store, Dollar Store, etc....canned veg, fruit, soup, dry pkgs. Even one at a time adds up. At least I'm trying.

Katz, one at a time adds up very quickly. That's how most of us do it too. :hug3:

Added several bottles of "garlic gel caps" to my OTC's. When my late husband complained of an ear ache, and I looked and found his ear to be flame red and swollen almost shut...had a badly infected ear, I pierced a cap with a needle, squeezed the oil into his ear canal (yes it stinks!) and put a piece of cotton in it. Within a couple of hours the pain was gone and next morning ear was back to normal. Garlic oil is a wonderful antibiotic. I keep a squeeze bottle in my frig (cooking quality) and have used it numerous times as a treatment for my own ears, as a precaution. Used it also on my new hubby when he had a bit of an ear ache. Just passing my own experience along with the use of garlic oil.

:lol: I have "plant garlic" on my To Do list. Has to be fall planted here.

OK.... So I did it! :cheeky-smiley-067: Open wide and let dentist, assistant, and the other person stick fingers and drills and neeeeeedles, and such into my mouth today. Considering I had some real problem about to start where that mysterious cave-in happened AND considering I had to get a crown for a back molar [which are very important teeth].....whew! I am reallllly glad I got in finally. They were even able to do all the work today! Well, have temporary crown and will get real one in a couple weeks. Also the 2 caved-in fillings replaced. All the whole main work is done. :woohoo:

My needle phobia is still GREATLY :amen: diminished. Such a relief! It's a very exhausting event anyway, without all that anxiety hoo-ha! They worked on my for 2 solid hours...and they tried to work fast. Quite enough novacane tho....I was dribbling while drinking for hours after I left there. But...no pain! :thumbs::cele:

Very big prep step for me. :whistling: I tend to put off this one but....I'm good to go [...oh, can't forget a major cleaning appointment too] almost, for a while on dental work. CUZ DENTAL WILL NOT SURVIVE A MAJOR HOOEY.....and the more primative option is to pull teeth. Be dumb to put this off and end up with only that option. But wow.....I'm gonna have days and days of cankor sores with all the nicks and abrasions in my mouth. OW!

MtRider [....BIG relief at getting this done! Tetanus shot updated in May...dental nearly done.... Hey! I'm getting on top of things! :happy0203: ]

Finally got the auction people to come take items to sell from the house Im moving from. It hurt to see my late husbands stuff be sold, and awakened many wonderful memories, but he did have excellent taste in collectibles and I don't have the room, nor the same interest in them that he did, so off they go. Im glad he got the chance to enjoy them; now its someone else's turn. The monies will be spent to work on the used RV I purchased as a bug-out vehicle/shelter just in case...yes, I have kin in other parts of the country who would let me park and live on their land. I can even use it for vacations!

Congrats on surviving the dentist, Mt Rider!

Kappy, hon, that is a big, huge prep. You've got rid of a burden and turned it to something you can use to help you. I'm sure your DH would be glad of that.

Way to go Mt. Rider! I feel the same way about the dentist... lol

Thanks for sharing Philbe, I'll have to pick some up, DH is always having problems with his ears.

I REALLY need to bump up my prepping. I haven't even gone grocery shopping for the last two weeks, let alone add to my preps :misc-smiley-231: I've been so stressed it's been the last thing I think about, and run out of the store as soon as I clock out! lol Gonna do it tomorrow, just need to make a list first!

DH and I did go and get another 3 wheeler last night though :D I'll consider it a prep, since it contributes to working around the farm. Plus, this one has electric start so I don't have to fight with DH's! lol Plus, I look at it as in a SHTF situation, if I am wanting to conserve gas, the 3 wheeler would be great for riding to neighbors house for barter, etc.

Oh I almost forgot! I got my Shelf Reliance can organizer yesterday! It's not put together yet, but I'll get pics as soon as it is!

You'll love the can organizers...but...just a tip...write numbers down on the first one you put together so the rest will go quicker. Helped us BIG time! LOL

Put the last of my potatoes and carrots (that I had in my frig) into my big crockpot along with a lovely pork tenderloin. Lots of other goodies to make it smell and taste good too! Should make 2 or 3 meals for us. Saves me time and $$$

Good for you Mt. Rider. I dread the dentist too. I had to have a crown replaced the last time I went too. I think I called it a cap but it was a crown. I had to have a few fillings replaced this year. I'm kinda glad I had them done because all of my fillings are white now and I have no more metal in my mouth.

Can organizer went in last night. Woulda been ALOT easier if we weren't putting it inside a cabinet, but that was some unused space I wanted to take advantage of. I have another space just like it on the other side of the kitchen, but DH says I'm putting the next one in...

The cans are still all over the kitchen floor though. lol Gonna work on organizing them and putting them in tonight after work. Then pictures!

Mt.Rider, garlic is on my to-do list too! I just got mine from seed savers a few days ago. I'm planting them around my blackberries and baby apple trees. When planted as companions, they are supposed to help repel Japanese beetles. We get those real bad around here. I still need to finish cleaning up and mulching around the apple trees though. Meant to do it over the last couple days, but it rained so much!

Yeah, Jeepers. Due to the possible silver amalgam connection to MS...I began the reduction of silver too. These are the white, non-metal stuff. The crown for the molar will be gold cuz teeth clenchers shouldn't chose porcelin. That, however, is NOT where I wanted gold stored. :tapfoot: Sheeesh, good thing we had a medical savings account! Pocketbook hurt WAY worse than my mouth!

MtRider ;)

Is it possible to plant garlic in containers (small enough to be portable)? I live on 4 acres but the owner has the place up for sale, so I never know when I might need to move. I've been wanting to plant things but don't want to leave them behind.

Now that I think about it, could definitely plant some lettuces...