MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Buck has been on my To Do list for 3 yrs. :sigh: Need fencing first!!! Have doghouse for the dwarf buck and companion older doe.

DH and I did pickled beets this morning. Now he's familiar with the process and says he could do that. He loves pickled beets and eggs and .... He's always been good in the kitchen unless he's working full-time. He's our best bread maker! :yum3:

It was a GOOOOD thing he was there cuz my energy is still lacking and I cratered out before it was done....despite that it was twice as fast. :0327: He could finsh while I rested and ate protein. Then I finished clean-up. There is GREAT potential in this kitchen partnership!!!!!

I've been afraid to tackle canning for this very reason. You can only break the job down so far...and then you simply HAVE to finish or lose it all. :canning: But with his help and ...his focus on the steps needed so I don't leave any out... :)

We didn't can the jars today tho. There were only enough beets for 4 Qts, 1 pint, and one half pint. So we'll just keep them in the fridge. The jars sealed just because we hot packed everything so they'll be good in fridge till we gobble them up.

Took advantage of a coupon to stock up on some smaller cans of veggies and meats. Need to reorganize the pantry shelves again though. (tomorrow?) Also bought two cases of bottled water just in case for power loss/pipe freeze. (Both happen nearly every winter)

The husband had some grand luck at the thrift stores this week and scored some hunting and fishing preps. Having to :baseballbat: to get him to move it out of my living room and put away properly though.

Finished the last of my end of summer :clothesline: and got the blankets and curtains washed/aired out.

DH and I planted 30 cloves of garlic last night and replaced one strand of fencing. Would have gotten a lot more done if the wire wasn't tangled! :groooansmileyf:We also got a dog house for the boys (our Aussies), this is their first winter and they'll spend the afternoon outside while I'm at work. (As long as it's not too cold, if it is then they'll just stay in their crates.

I am wanting to pick up some canned beans from work this week. They're on sale for .45 a can. I like using dry because they're cheaper, but I like having the canned on hand because they are faster.

mi familia - Since you're done there, ya wanna come over here??? I have no idea how TWO people can have so much laundry!? I've been going through it as it comes out of the dryer and bagging stuff up for the goodwill, but DH has sooo many clothes! :faint3:

While on our 4 day bug out, found the granite ware pieces that I've been looking for! Had looked at several pieces at other flea markets but they were selling so pricey. Found the plates/pie pan combination for $4 each, the smaller sized round pot with lid, and the oblong bake dish too! Plus, they had a 20% discount so I got all for $32. Want to use them in my solar oven plus, they are wonderful for camping. I use the plate/pie pans for us to eat out of. Now I have 7 instead of 3!!! Yippee...guest can eat out of them too! I love them because I can use one for food content and one turned upside down for a cover to keep the food warmer. Spent some $$$ but will save $$$ because paper plates are just becoming too expensive, glass breaks, plastic melts or discolors, melamine can eventually break also. Enameled metal...pretty durable. Grandma's thought so too!

I love the look and utility of graniteware too! I've got quite a bit: family heirlooms I've treasured, thrift store/garage sales, and a couple retail purchase. I also have collected some pie plates for the same use as Philbe mentioned. We don't use a microwave so they are popped into the oven to reheat food.

What I don't like about modern graniteware is that it chips so easily. Then soon, you have rusted hole. :( I've got a few antique pieces and the feel of them is SO much better. I bought two of the pie plates from Lehmans. Their quality is so much better. I assume they would not chip so easily. Maybe making sure any chipped area is well dried and a swipe from the cast iron seasoning cloth might help prevent rust so fast?

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
too scrambled :unsure:

I love the look and utility of graniteware too! I've got quite a bit: family heirlooms I've treasured, thrift store/garage sales, and a couple retail purchase. I also have collected some pie plates for the same use as Philbe mentioned. We don't use a microwave so they are popped into the oven to reheat food.

What I don't like about modern graniteware is that it chips so easily. Then soon, you have rusted hole. :( I've got a few antique pieces and the feel of them is SO much better. I bought two of the pie plates from Lehmans. Their quality is so much better. I assume they would not chip so easily. Maybe making sure any chipped area is well dried and a swipe from the cast iron seasoning cloth might help prevent rust so fast?

MtRider :pc_coffee:

****Got a couple little nicks how about just brushing them with the hard enamel paint that they use to do touch up on cars...find the black, blue or white. Another way might be to use epoxy that is used on chipped stove tops etc. ***

mi familia - Since you're done there, ya wanna come over here??? I have no idea how TWO people can have so much laundry!? I've been going through it as it comes out of the dryer and bagging stuff up for the goodwill, but DH has sooo many clothes! :faint3:

When you figure it out, let me know, I am in the same boat! I cannot believe how much clothing mine has too. I did two loads again today when I swear the basket was empty.

First of the month, so I treated all the drains, cleaned up the fridge and made a list of things we need from the pantry when we get paid this week. I think this winter is going to be a lot of soups and bread for meals. Getting too expensive for anything else!

Castor oil in the soap will make it suds well. I think coconut oil will too, but I haven't made anything except plain old shortening and lye soap in several yrs.

This week I got the tarp on the hoop house pulled back into place and secured against the winter winds. Removed 2 paper wasp nests and a ball of 3-4 dozen red wasps that were getting set to overwinter in the hoop house. No wonder the goats abandoned it! I also have the fence moved over and the paddock enclosed again (took over a month, I'm so slow). When the fellows put the fence up they got that side across the line onto the neighbor's property. He's been patient about it, but I am glad it is moved. Don't want to irritate the nice neighbors! I moved it 15 ft in from the property line so the new driveway can run outside the paddock and I won't have to worry about visitors leaving the gate open WAY off away from the house. Also made a new area for vehicles to park and turn around. Still need to do some more fencing but it can wait till the weather cools more. I'm now ready for the new buck who is coming tomorrow.

Edited by Philbe

Castor oil in the soap will make it suds well. I think coconut oil will too, but I haven't made anything except plain old shortening and lye soap in several yrs.

Put a few drops of castor oil in the bottle and it did make more suds. Was reluctant to add more since I didn't want the coating on my dishes. Does it rinse real free if you use more?

This week I got the tarp on the hoop house pulled back into place and secured against the winter winds. Removed 2 paper wasp nests and a ball of 3-4 dozen red wasps that were getting set to overwinter in the hoop house. No wonder the goats abandoned it! I also have the fence moved over and the paddock enclosed again (took over a month, I'm so slow). When the fellows put the fence up they got that side across the line onto the neighbor's property. He's been patient about it, but I am glad it is moved. Don't want to irritate the nice neighbors! I moved it 15 ft in from the property line so the new driveway can run outside the paddock and I won't have to worry about visitors leaving the gate open WAY off away from the house. Also made a new area for vehicles to park and turn around. Still need to do some more fencing but it can wait till the weather cools more. I'm now ready for the new buck who is coming tomorrow.

DH and I had appointments at our dentist office for cleanings and exams today. DH has 2 cavities; we scheduled to get those filled next week. He does better in "THE CHAIR" than I do.

Target has backpacks for 70% off. We bought one to use as a GHB in our car.

ordered extra meat for the freezer (1/4 beef, 1/2 pork) which i will supplement with froze turkey & ham when it goes on Thanksgiving & Christmas sale. My prep partner just gave me the 'go' on canned meat - she likes mine, not the commercial stuff.

Since I'm currently reacting to food dyes, I had to look at options for cold/flu meds. Everything I had in the lines of cold/flu meds has dye in it. Vicks Nature's Fusion products are dye-free. Local store had them on sale and I had coupons, so I got some of those.

Sometimes it seems I get "stocked up" on something and think that area of preps is checked off, only to have something change!

Stopped at a dutch market on the way home from one of our other properties, and found the most wonderful white, 2-gallon sized food grade buckets with lids, for 25 cents each!!! Bought 3 dollars worth. Figure they'll be wonderful for storing smaller food items and not have to worry about opening a 5-gallon bucket. MeI think me's gonna go back and invest in a few more!

Stopped at a dutch market on the way home from one of our other properties, and found the most wonderful white, 2-gallon sized food grade buckets with lids, for 25 cents each!!! Bought 3 dollars worth. Figure they'll be wonderful for storing smaller food items and not have to worry about opening a 5-gallon bucket. MeI think me's gonna go back and invest in a few more!

RUN! That is a great deal! Those are wonderful for the heavy stuff like the sugar, flour, etc. Things that are stored in 5 gallon buckets I always struggle with, so those 2 & 3 gallon ones are just wonderful when I can find them. Especially if you are getting them from a stack of buckets that are all full with heavy stuff!

Picked up a bucket of wheat at Wal-Mart today. The husband picked it out, actually. I'm just glad to see him getting into the food storage part. He also grabbed some ammo and a few spare arrows today. Oh and a woodland camo hat for me at thrift store today, as well as a big box of grout for just $2. Not bad.

We were at Home Depot and got more duct tape, masking tape, a rubber spray that might solve a problem with the duckhouse....and 5 food grade 5 gal. buckets. $3.42 each. I have new gamma lids. Just right for drawing out foods for current use. MiFamilia...my DH spotted these too! [whooeee, something in the air? ;) ] He's getting the hang of this prep thing too!

Almost got my dental work completed but... :sad-smiley-012: the stupid permanent crown didn't fit. Try again next week. ....TRYING to be Prepared for the GA trip!

Pulled all onions from the garden cuz ....WE'RE SNOWING tonite. Really! Icy, crystal stuff but ....it's WHITE. Supposed to come in this weekend...like Saturday AFTER DH had already arrived in the city for a 3 day seminar. 'Fraid it won't be melted by the time he it's city rush hour early tomorrow. :yar: Look out, y'all east of CO. We've a few days of :frozen: before we warm up again.

Also took water and lines out of the swamp cooler yesterday...same reason. So it's winterized. If I'd have known it was arriving today, we should have moved the horses to the pasture with the shelter. <_< I'll be doing that tomorrow. They'll hide in the trees tonite.

:lol: DH got some superglue at the store too.....cuz he's been practicing for bow hunting and....broken arrows need superglue. Hit a tree. :grinning-smiley-044:

MtRider [....gonna prep for this weekend going solo by.... :offtobed: Nite! ]

MIL gave me a cast iron tortilla press. Looking forward to making my own corn tortillas.

While cleaning and organizing clutter, found an old quilt-in-progress I started 7 years ago and have been working on it again. (Hand sewing.)

Made 5 gallons of kraut/potato/garbanzo bean/chicken stew yesterday. I processed 7 qts this morning and the rest of the jars are in the fridge. Plan to process 7 tonight and 7 more in the morning. Too hot to be running that canner all day and I just don't have much energy right now. The last 3 jars will have to be processed tomorrow evening. I'm planning to make a big pot of black bean chili tomorrow. Have the beans soaking now. Daughter loves the stuff. I'm glad, because it is a lot less work over time to have the food canned on the shelf than to have to cook it daily.

:runcirclsmiley2:

I got more duct tape. It's sky-blue with PENGUINS. I couldn't resist.

My husband picked up Survival Mom and started reading the back. He then asked me if I've started yet! Well, we've been kind of broke, not a whole lot...but I think I might be going by Sam's and getting a carton or 2 of the dehydrated hashbrowns & once we have the money, I have permission to get a pressure canner! :hapydancsmil:

Boiled up a bag of potatoes and put some in deep freeze for future use and some in refrigerator freezer & some in regular frig side for quick morning hashbrowns. Makes having "baked" potatoes so much quicker when I can just nuke them! LOL Also made up a dozen "fire starters" and put them in the bag with my 2 bottles of sanitizer (juices up any logs if you spritz 'em a bit) and my bicycle tire innertube (I just cut little strips off and use a bic lighter).

Edited by Philbe

Bought another piece of granite ware ($3.00!) at the swap meet, it's a smaller version of the bigger pot with lid that I bought for my solar oven. It really draws in the heat and makes perfect for solar cooking. Also found a bigger dog house for Abby, saved abour $40!!! Her current one she's outgrown. Will sell her current one and actually make money! Okeedokey with me!!!:rolleyes:

The store I work for in another town (Ruler Foods, owned by Kroger) is in a price war, so I am going to have hubby stock up. 10lbs of potatoes, .99, a gallon of milk, .99, and eggs (which I don't need cause my hens are laying plenty) .29!

I'm gonna dice, parboil and freeze the potatoes.

If anyone lives near Evansville, IN or Henderson, KY, that's where the sales are. The guy that delivers milk said last time Kroger did this they almost put the other company out of business because they wouldn't back down on their prices. Hopefully they'll keep it up till Tuesday, cause that's the soonest I can get there!

Well I like putting two rows together and finally I will have finished my mile a minute afghan - seems like I've been working on it forever, it will cover a queen size bed. First one I've ever crocheted and very proud of it if I do say so, it's red, white,and blue. I couldn't work on it during the summer, it was just to hot! Also about one hours work and will have a crocheted jacket finished for me that will be warm. I have hot flashes so much I don't need much, but will do me around here. Made another fleece throw for my dad, he stays so cold. So when I finish those first two things I'm starting some gloves and wrist warmers and socks/booties for winter. Will see how that goes.

Food wise these last couple weeks I have gotten variety of vegetables, fruits, meats, soups and packaged noodles, rice that were all on sale. About 50 in all I guess. Not much, but trying. Also got some beans and rice and threw in freezer. Also some extra seasonings. Got extra hamburger meat and am making meatloaf in muffin tins and then freezing. Since it's just my dad and I won't waste so much, take a couple out and use. Also will be frying some up and freezing in bags or whatever.. I have made Taco Soup, Red Beans w/meat, tomatoes, taco seasoning, and roast w/potatoes. Will freeze some of all of these for future use.

My money is very tight so I can't get much, but I'm trying. Anyway not much but something.

Okay ladies I don't understand about the potatoes. How are you fixing them to freeze? Boil peeled whole potatoes and then put them in what bags, plastic containers whole and freeze or do you season and cube,slice whatever before freeze. Please tell me I want to fix some, never done that before.

What I did last time (only did it a couple of times) was peel, dice, and then cook them to *just* almost done, that way they don't get mushy when you cook them a second time. Then put them in the freezer, spread out on a tray so they don't freeze together. After they've frozen just throw 'em in a freezer bag and take out what you need. I'll probably do that with potato soup sized chunks too. I like the smaller dices ones to fry up for hashbrowns for breakfast or to put in veggie soup. I've never tried slices for frying, I might try that one too! IDK how it will turn out though.

I suppose you could do the same with whole potatoes for making mashed potatoes.

Another thing I'm wanting to try is to shred them and dehydrate some.

Yesterday I scored pretty good on Eckrich rope sausage (i guess that's what you'd call it) It was on markdown for .99 each, for probably 12 oz or so. I got 10 of them and stuck them in the freezer. Also this week I got a grill for $15 (reg price $150) and gave that to my dad as an early Christmas present, plus I got 4 fold up chairs for .99 ea. (reg 9.99) and 2 huge bottles of antibacterial hand soap for 1.29 ea. :hapydancsmil:

This week was a good week for markdowns! lol All us women at work joke that we are hoarders when it comes to all these markdowns we come across! lol I wanna be like, it's awesome for prepping, but they'd probably say my tin foil was showing...