MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

What I did last time (only did it a couple of times) was peel, dice, and then cook them to *just* almost done, that way they don't get mushy when you cook them a second time. Then put them in the freezer, spread out on a tray so they don't freeze together. After they've frozen just throw 'em in a freezer bag and take out what you need. I'll probably do that with potato soup sized chunks too. I like the smaller dices ones to fry up for hashbrowns for breakfast or to put in veggie soup. I've never tried slices for frying, I might try that one too! IDK how it will turn out though.

I suppose you could do the same with whole potatoes for making mashed potatoes.

Another thing I'm wanting to try is to shred them and dehydrate some.

Yesterday I scored pretty good on Eckrich rope sausage (i guess that's what you'd call it) It was on markdown for .99 each, for probably 12 oz or so. I got 10 of them and stuck them in the freezer. Also this week I got a grill for $15 (reg price $150) and gave that to my dad as an early Christmas present, plus I got 4 fold up chairs for .99 ea. (reg 9.99) and 2 huge bottles of antibacterial hand soap for 1.29 ea. :hapydancsmil:

This week was a good week for markdowns! lol All us women at work joke that we are hoarders when it comes to all these markdowns we come across! lol I wanna be like, it's awesome for prepping, but they'd probably say my tin foil was showing...

Thank you I have extra potatoes and we don't use that many, so I will try this. Thanks for the information.

Potatoes...I use my stock pot and just put the whole potatoes in and let them boil on low until their "done"...not mushy. I lay them out on a clean bath towel to drain and cool. The I put them in a gallon sized baggy and put them in one of my freezers...deep freeze or frig freezer. I keep some in frig side, and since we nearly always have fried potatoes for breakfast I just slice them and pitch them in my skillet. They brown so wonderfully. I also add re-hydrated onions and garlic, and peppers (or chives). If I want them as a dinner side, I just wrap them in plastic wrap very tightly and nuke them until they're warm. Haven't tried them in potato soup, mainly because I figured they'd dissolve??? Anyway...it just makes storing potatoes easier and I don't end up with any of them "going south" since there's only 2 of us.

Potatoes...I use my stock pot and just put the whole potatoes in and let them boil on low until their "done"...not mushy. I lay them out on a clean bath towel to drain and cool. The I put them in a gallon sized baggy and put them in one of my freezers...deep freeze or frig freezer. I keep some in frig side, and since we nearly always have fried potatoes for breakfast I just slice them and pitch them in my skillet. They brown so wonderfully. I also add re-hydrated onions and garlic, and peppers (or chives). If I want them as a dinner side, I just wrap them in plastic wrap very tightly and nuke them until they're warm. Haven't tried them in potato soup, mainly because I figured they'd dissolve??? Anyway...it just makes storing potatoes easier and I don't end up with any of them "going south" since there's only 2 of us.

Thanks for the information. I've had to throw out more potatoes because I don't use them quick enough, these are great ideas. Thanks!

picked up that meat order - filled our 10 cu foot freezer totally! also gleefully salvaged some 20 lb pails of legumes that we found while moving from one home to another. They are getting pretty old (1999)though, so I'll have to start cooking them and replacing them. I thought the mice had gotten into all my pails!

After over 10 years, I got my recurve bow out of storage, found the arrows and am practicing. We are planning to do the archery deer and javelina hunt this winter. This practice has the added benefit of strength training - walking to retrieve my arrows. :happy0203:

Culled a goat this morning. Have the good meat brining, liver in the freezer for later, stuff for dogs divided up into bags in the freezer and dogs are working on the rest, way out in the field. Put some small pink beans to soak and will plan to can goat chili in the morning. Have 3 more to cull now that the weather has cooled enough. These are does that just aren't thrifty. We can use the meat though. Once these are done I will have 8 good does and that is a plenty and then some.

Katz25, reading about potatoes - you can cook your potatoes, and mash them with an egg and cream cheese, (this changes the consistency so they don't get flakey in the freezer) then flavour them, (or not) with cheesse, bacon, garlic, or whatever. I drop mounds onto a cookie sheet and flash freeze them for individual servings. Nuke em when you need em. Casserole dishes of the potatoes reheat well too.

Edited by lovinit

I am getting my teeth fixed. I had a crown come off. Since I didn't have a dentst here, I improvised and super glued it. I did find one here. He said "if" I take matters in my own hands to use contact cement next time. He could then take it off and check it out. It was a front tooth and I didn't want to loose it or break it. I guess I got my money's worth though. It was put on in the late 70's. I had four small filings and am doing those now. I guess that is a prep.

We are having to fix our foundation next week before we close on our house. The repair is going to stop us from breaking even but it has to be fixed. Even though we watered with a soaker hose around our house, they said we should have watered at least 6 feet away. Cracks are occurring all over town there with people having problems. All I know is it 'ain't' cheap. But, thank you Lord, the buyers decided not to back out. Hopefully, we close the 19th. I have had to stand on my scripture a lot since this all came about knowing there was a reason and a purpose for all of this. Lo, about the time I think I have finally learned to "Be anxious for nothing......" something else pops up. I think our Heavenly Father sometimes keeps me going around to mountain, to keep me depending on HIM which is where I should be. Where would we be without HIM?

DH and I went to the Covered Bridge Festival over the weekend. They always have a ton of yardsales along the road. I ended up getting a nice old garden fork for $6. I've been wanting one to turn my compost with for quite awhile. Plus we got a couple wooden military ammo boxes that have been turned into cabinets. I'm going to paint mine and DH is going to leave the old print on his (it's going in his "man cave"). The one I have someone already painted some ugly grey paint on it, so I've gotta sand it down and pick out some cool colors :)

Finally located the paperwork about our vision insurance. Now I'm trying to make sense of it! :scratchhead:

Keeping up with eye exams/glasses (me and DH)/contacts (DH) has been a hole in our preps. So I'm working on figuring out what the insurance covers and what we're responsible for. Next step: eye exam for DH.

Edited by out_of_the_ordinary

We have been blessed to land on some good deals this week: cat litter, wood, assorted food items. Also added in some assorted ammo.

Bought a new carbon monoxide detector and got that hung. The old one died and we really should have one!

Took a long, long motorcycle ride...viewing God's earth...and seeing alot of water ways, fields and forestry, but nuttin' at any of the property sites.

Failed miserably to win the Euromillions lottery :sad-smiley-012: Made a batch of Gorp, added to our food preps, started to recycle some old crates into cabinets. But most importantly finally became Debt Free. No mortgage, no credit card. Wonderful.

Congratulations Ogre! What a great feeling to be debt free!

CONGRATULATIONS Ogre. It's a great feeling isn't it!!!!

We've been debt free since 1990 and hope to stay this way forever!

Wonderful Ogre! Debt free here also, except we "purposely" bought the homestead from my mom's living trust and lease it back to her for a dollar a year as long as she lives...and make a monthly payment directly to her (she's the trustee) to supplement her income. Mountain Man and I would be in a world of hurt if we had payments on anything else! We have 3 properties, 2 vehicles, 1 travel trailer, 2 work trailers, and a motorcycle. Just the tags, insurance and taxes keep us hopping!

Bought a new carbon monoxide detector and got that hung. The old one died and we really should have one!

Thanks for the reminder. I need to get one of those.

Several months ago we bought a huge pork loin roast. I took it out yesterday and put it into my granite ware roaster and into the oven it went! Added the remaining jar of my dehydrated celery & carrots, some taters, and some onions and garlic. Yum, yum...for supper. BUT...had enough left over to vacume seal two full meals with potatoes etc, plus 5 vacume sealed bags of pulled pork only. It's soooo nice to just come home and drag out a bag of fully cooked meat for supper (when we've been gone working some place) and add to it. Did this with a big package of chicken breast that was on sale recently, so now I have packages of fully cooked chicken and pork loin. Saves me time and saves me money!

Got both dehydrators humming...one with 6 trays of celery...one with 4 trays of cabbage that I boiled in my smaller stock pot w/lots of salt and vegetable broth...yum, yum, it was sure tastey! (had a couple of spoon fulls that I couldn't let go to waste!) Also have 3 bags of shredded cabbage in deep freeze and 2 in frig for slaw. Also have about 10 bags of avacado's vacume sealed and in deep freeze. Got all these goodies from a friend who doesn't can nor dehydrate! Got to go the homestead tonight to pick up some more jars to store these goodies in when they come out of the dehydrators! She told me she was going to bring some apples and maybe some pears shortly...goody goody!

I had a really busy week last week prepping. It turned out to be a great week. On Monday, I completed all my dental work. Tuesday, I made 32 pints of chow chow. Wednesday I straightened out my storage building to get ready to restock while Dh was at old house while they were fixing foundation--got it done. Thursday, I made 20 pints of apple butter. Friday, and probably the most important to us, is we sold our house and paid our new house off---waiting on state to release lein on new property, hopefully by this Friday. This was such a relief to us and was a gaint prayer praise. Now to keeping praying for those here who are still looking for new locations, homes and their properties to sell.

We have a whole beef coming in about 10 days, so I'm working on cleaning out the freezer! I think I am going to try canning some soup and stuff for the first time (on my own at least, did it with mom when I was a kid) I am so anxious to get the beef here though! Raised that thing from a calf, and I've been waiting for this day a long time! lol Work friends keep saying how they couldn't bottle feed it and end up eating it. I keep telling them if they had to put up with everything that those things did, it would be easy! lol

Also, just ordered 100lbs of pasture seed to sow in the east pasture. We're going to rent the "plugger" thing (don't know technical name) from the county co-op and get at least one pasture done this year. REALLY needs it! Oh yeah, got some buckwheat seed for "green manure", next year. Figured I'm paying $60 in shipping anyway, might as well get something else that I can't get locally.