MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Martha...wonderful!!! We'll enjoy your prayers for us also. We have 3 properties; live in one, remodeling one that smaller and newer to move to, and the homestead where mom & son live (2 apts.). As soon as we get the smaller home done we'll sell this ancient one we're living in that costs an arm and a leg in utilities. Mountain Man's been working on everybody's properties but ours...but has to right now to keep our heads above water when taxes and insurance comes on all three properties! If we weren't debt free we'd be in a world of hurt! Need a break so we can work on the little house...we'd like him to be able to work 4 days a week and have rest to work on ours. "Hear our prayers oh Lord!" amen!

Got cabbage & celery in jars and stored. Whew! And camping friend says she's expecting to bring me some apples...maybe pears. Oh my...I hear the dehydrators coming to life before too much longer. Took the bags of frozen mashed avacado's to the deep freeze yesterday. They're looking nice and green! All seals seem unbroken. Now...my kitchen is screaming at me to "clean me up!"

:dishes:

CGA and Philbe--thanks for the kind words. Now , I will agree with each of you to sell your places at a fair and reasonable price and lead you each in the direction HE desires--that you all will have the strength and time to do what you need to do as we plead the blood of Jesus upon you and your places. Remember to take care of yourselves and rest as needed.

Edited by AMarthaByHeart

CGA and Philbe--thanks for the kind words. Now , I will agree with each of you to sell your places at a fair and reasonable price and lead you each in the direction HE desires--that you all will have the strength and time to do what you need to do as we plead the blood of Jesus upon you and your places. Remember to take care of yourselves and rest as needed.

From Philbe..."Amen, we receive that prayer".

Thank the Lord, Martha!!! What a great feeling. It doesn't ensure a care-free life but it's such a major thing to have paid off!!! :cheer:

My prep was getting home with new puppy. Beginning of potty training...and our weather turned cold and windy. But it's warming up again slightly.

DH and I have been practicing archery....the silent hunting technique. Gonna move the target. Tooooo many trees to hit and damage arrows if you miss. I've got one still missing. With neon colored fletching, how can we not find it??? :unsure:

I checked taters and removed a couple bad ones and grabbed a couple soft ones to use soon. Need to check the onions again to see how they cured while I was gone.

We're in the process of changing how we put the hay into the goathouse manger. Going to access from the outside rather than inside. Not able to get regular hay bales this year and tearing apart the hay to STUFF it into the slot is giving both of us sinus trouble. Ahh CHOOOO! Anything that aids efficiency is a good prep.

Would have loved to buy apples in Georgia and dehydrated a bunch to mail home. Our fruit prices in the Rockies are drastic. :sad-smiley-012:

MtRider [ :pc_coffee: GLAD to be back on my laptop and not picking on the iPod! ]

New tires on the truck! Thank goodness that's out of the way! also restocked matches, and donated a stack of things to make some more room.

dug out my canner and canning jars in preparation to going on a meat-canning binge. our 2 freezers need to have some cleared out, so we have room in it for more things than just meat. fortunately, my room mate has tasted my canned meats and decided they are good - she was always skeptical of canned meat qualities, having only had it in the military or from dinty moore (both not very good examples).

Went to gun show expo (huge one!) and replaced something I needed to replace, and found some other really nifty stuff to add to our "camping" needs! LOL Going to rifle range today to meet up with some friends and take Abby...she's not been around gun fire for several months. Been leaving her in her kennel more lately for her to develop her winter "double" coat and get her used to colder weather. We want to do some snow shoeing this winter "some place" and we love hiking in colder weather also. We need to get her re-call better so she can follow (or lead) off leash. She stays with us excellently...unless another animal or person crosses our path! Then it's "love at first sight" with her...she's quite the diva. Her only agression is toward someone who "sneaks" or appears to be coming too close to us in her opinion. She was in her kennel last week and gave the electrical meter reader quite a "cussing"! LOL I'm sure he was glad she was in her kennel.

Edited by Philbe

Well, started m7y meat canning...canned 7 quarts (28 lbs) of chicken breasts that I skinned, boned, and cut in chunks. Looks like dog food (I understand that is normal) but will taste good and that is the important thing. Tomorrow's canning: pork chunks in broth (made from the bones I boned out of the chicken breasts - no waste). We are also going back to the local small store that had an unadvertised special price on the 32 oz cans of coffee - cheapest price Ive seen in a while, so we are stocking up. No such thing as too much cofffee on the shelf!

Edited by kappydell

Good for you Kappy. I was given a gift card and I'm going to use it all for meat this week. :shopping:

I'll be canning meat right along with you...in spirit.

I have NO canned meat. :sEm_blush:

You "canning" ladies put me to shame! The only canned meats I have are the ones I buy! LOL Canned corned beef, canned chicken breasts, canned salmon, canned roast beef, canned tuna, if it's meat & canned I stock it...LOL I also stock alot of soups that have meat in them, I keep real bacon bits that are sealed in foil packets, vienna sausages, and the dreaded "spam" for last ditch meals should we need it. I love going to our discount store at stocking time because I buy flat after flat after flat...and I know they think we're weird...LOL But...I did receive a flat of little green granny(?) apples from a friend so I dug out my apple peeler and will have to get busy getting them ready for the dehydrator. I used my banjo last time but MM bought me this nifty little peeler/corer and I'm gonna give it a try. I used it this morning on our breakfast potatoes and onions...not bad! they were "curly fries" but I just sliced down the middle and it let them loose...LOL

Edited by Philbe

I've been giving my new dehydrator a workout. Brought home a bunch of basil and parsley to dry for a friend Friday, then went to another friend's house and was given several sacks of peppers, and a small sack with sage, rosemary, and oregano. My dh surprised me Saturday afternoon by tilling the garden; this after he dissed my request a month or more ago. He even expanded the old plot some, and went to the added effort of chopping up a dead tree that was in the middle of the plot.

Edited by VickiG

The canned pork turned out well. I did 5 quarts of pork loin chunks, and 2 quarts of pork shoulder. I used hot pack this time, out of deference to my room mate who looked at the cold-packed chicken and said "what the heck happened to the chicken?" I had to explain to her about the dog food looks being deceiving. I just took the pork chunks out of the canner, they look more like 'meat' and she will feel better abut that, as she is new to home-canned meats. Tonight I brought up the idea to her that I would like to can meat in cycles: 7 quarts each of chicken, then pork, then stew meat, then loose hamburger. That rotation, plus 2 canned hams equals a month's worth of canned meats. Mary had never eaten home-canned meats until I gave her some of mine, so its a good thing she likes them. (For those who don't know, Mary is the retired long-time friend I asked to come share the house when my husband died. Both of us are on disability, both are 'preppers' and we have a high old time together. When we aren't talking trash to one another we are laughing our butts off at each other!)

Kappy, I'm so glad things are going well with you and your roomy. I remember when you rescued her from Gary!

Smart about canning in rotation. I'm just the opposit and that's not good. I want to get all of my chicken then all my beef then all my hamburger then all my pork etc. canned. In a -------> :smiley_shitfan: situation I could get caught with 24 pints of chicken and nothing else.

Third time's a charm.... Finally got my permanent crown on back molar today. The whole office cheered that this one fit!!! :cheer: They wanted to schedule a cleaning now but...I'm taking a break! :grinning-smiley-044:

Left new pup home [no vaccinations yet so she can't interact where other dogs have been] . Stripped bathroom of everything within her reach. Put down a potty area. Wedged her sleeping quarters [dog crate] into the shower stall. Food/water/toys and her claimed towel to lay on. Had her bouncing around in the 10X20' chain link area for a while before we left so I think she slept a lot.

Returned to find pee where it belonged and a pup glad to see us but not distressed. Whew! She's settling in nicely. :wub:

Had discussion with DH about canning meat when it comes on sale. Since we did well in doing the pickled beets together, he's willing to co-can. [ :lol: Is THAT a word?] It's just toooo much for me to do alone and sustain my energy to the end. He's such a carnivore and is worried about rising prices and shortages. We're also getting more focused on hunting [deer and small game] with bows.

MtRider :canning:

Been on a cleaning spree prior to re-listing the house with a new realtor. Found some paint online at a decent price finally and ordered 2 gallons, some new drill/driver bits and some scrub brushes. Probably need less than a gallon, but the shipping was less if I ordered two and I'll probably use the second some time in the future.

Got tired of messing with the under the stove drawer that would NOT go back in and was rusty to boot so I booted it out the door. Had a piece of plywood that I cut to fit over the opening and I'm going to hot glue it on as soon as I find the glue. Gonna paint it white when the paint comes. LOL

Yeah, Mr. Vicki. Way to till! :cheer:

Yeah, I think I'll keep him! He's also dug out the solar panel and pump we bought in 1998 for Y2K, and never used. Found a manual online and got it up and working. Now he's looking at other solar options. Really, he's done this sort of investigating off and on for years..but lately he's picked it up again. Yesterday he was teasing me about buying an electric dehydrator to prepare for potentially losing power..and when I said, "well, I didnt think you'd agree to make a solar dehydrator", he didn't laugh or tell me to forget it. He said it wouldn't take much of a solar panel to run one of those..I've got a three pages on building solar dehydrators open on my browser so he can look at them this evening after praise team practice. I already told him(yesterday) that I'm gonna need more trays!

Learned that I could use my car to run my chest freezer & fridge during a multi-day power outage using a simple inverter that costs less than $50! WooHoo!

Info here:

http://www.solar1234.com/

Steve Harris has a TON of great info! I am really wanting to get an inverter and have everything set up to run our freezer too. I love how he puts it. You spend thousands of dollars on a huge generator that sits in your driveway...;) He has a several really good podcasts he's done with Jack Spirko.

This week I've been cleaning out the freezer, prepping for the whole beef we're getting. Got most of my tomatoes canned last night (stuck them in the freezer during the summer. I was too lazy to can them right away.lol) and made a few jars of Strawberry/Gooseberry jam! I'm definitely making more of that!

I really want to try canning some meat, but I'm not sure if I'll like the texture... Is it mushy or anything like store canned meat?

Canned pears yesterday. Planning to dehydrate mustard greens and chocolate peppers today and can applesauce. The greens are mostly cooked and ready. We have one big pot full that still have to be soaked in salt water and cooked.

Ladies, I hate to burst your bubble, but you'd probably rather find out now, than when you are out of options. A car is very inefficient for generating electricity. You will use way more gas doing that than you would with a generator, and they use lots. You are also likely to kill your car battery in the process. I would suggest finding some other way to keep the freezer going.

Nichole, the only way to know for sure is to can some meat, open it and see if you like it.

Worked up the little green apples a friend gave me. Had to throw several out, but still had enough to make two 1/2 pints and one pint of applesauce. Loved the apple peeler/corer that MM got for me last time we were camping (at a thrift shop), it made the process go alot quicker! Even had enough left over for us both to have a small bowl of applesauce after our lunch! MM loved the "course cut" applesauce that I like to make. Stuck them in the frig...they won't last long! Also put fresh batteries in all of our flashlights and then went to WM and bought new batteries to replace the ones we used.

Edited by Philbe

The pork turned out great - one can did not seal, we ate that tonight. Only thing is I'm going to have to can sans salt, as she said even the jars with half the usual salt were too salty. We can just add it to taste when we eat it...Onward to beef!