MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

I bought six body washes yesterday, for $1.00 each, on sale and with coupons.

I'm running late on making my own mixes for this month. So hopefully today I will be making four batches of bisquick, several batches of pie crust mix, and a few other things, from posts in the In The Kitchen section.

Mo7

I read on some site that they now put "pink slime" in hamburger meat. He said to buy yours only from a butcher. Did not really explain the pink slime, but from what I could tell it seems like it would be in the big tubes or prepacked hamburger. Our local stores here have butchers and they grind their own, not sure if they are now adding stuff. I will ask. All of WalMart's meat is prepackaged and shipped in-who know how they handle that.

Don't remember the site, but if I run across it again, I'll show here.

Ew! We had been buying our ground beef from Sam's Club. They grind it there, but I still think something is being added to it.

Red SLIME? :yuk:

Wish List: steer to butcher....or be friends with a deer hunter!

MtRider [....and here I keep thinking that the contents of ...er, meat, will be MEAT! :blink: ]

DH is a deer hunter, but he's had a dry spell the past 2 seasons. We butcher that ourselves.

Most meat departments clean up their mean to make it look better. My dad used to work at cargill, and he said they used vinegar (i think) to take the grey coloring off of it :unsure: Yeah, it grossed me out... Kroger (well, at least Jay C's) used to package their own meat, now we get it shipped in from the warehouse, prepackaged.

We normally get our meat from friends that raise cattle. Check out craigslist or something, I see people offering half a beef this time a year very often. All you have to do is go to the butchers and pay for it. Now next year, we should have our very own grass fed beef in the freezer! :woohoo:

Ew. That worries me. I'm allergic to vinegar.

I used to buy my meat at local grocery store. A few years back, they had a really good sale on chicken breasts and round steak. I loaded the cart up, came home and started wrapping the meat for my freezer. As I'm wrapping the chicken breasts, I noticed there was little bits of wet stuffing ( I think is some parts of the country you call it dressing) on them. I have Celiac Disease so it's a huge deal. We took all of the meat back to the store and spoke with a manager. They took the meat back and gave us our money back. As hard as I tried, I could not get the manager to understand cross-contamination issues with gluten for people with celiac disease. :beat_deadhorse: I'll never buy meat there again.

So I'm very hesitant to buy meat anywhere. Another local store has chicken packaged before it gets to the store and is gluten-free. So I buy all my chicken there. Since they also sell/wrap items in the store that would contain gluten, like sausages and again stuffing (all the stores around here seem to sell fresh, already stuffed chicken breasts and rolled round steak ), I don't buy anything else there.

Around that time, I discussed this with a gentleman in the meat dept. of Sam's Club. Because of our talk, I was very comfortable buying beef there. And for the pork, he called their plant (I think in Alabama or Arkansas) and checked that is was gluten-free for me.

At some point, I need to start checking with butchers. It is scary to think they'll just tell me it is gluten-free and it is really not safe for me. Again, it is very difficult to get someone to understand the cross-contamination issues. If they've ever had something with gluten in it on a plastic cutting board, food for me can never touch that cutting board (regardless of washing). And then the possible gluten/flour in the air. Or them touching something. Or the meat going through a grinder where gluten has been (flour and gluten in mixes).

My allergy doc actually warned us not to have anyone else butcher DH's deer because some guys will run a slice of bread through their meat grinder to clean it out better.

I'm not paranoid :sassing: Ok, maybe a little :behindsofa: But, I kind of have to be. (After all, I'm not normal, I'm out of the ordinary.) It's worth it to feel good and be healthy! :thumbs:

I had to take daughter off store bought meat, eggs and dairy because she was reacting to the gluten and corn the animals were fed. I have to feed the animals corn and gluten free as well as daughter.

Out of the ordinary, I do believe you!

I have a cousin with Celiac Disease and he and his wife basically have a 'his and hers' kitchen in one room. They have separate pans, toasters and butter tubs etc. They found out the hard way that just the fact that she was buttering her toast from the same tub that he used was triggering him.

Cross contamination is so hard for them to avoid. Even the meat wrappers that they use to pick up cheese and meat at the deli counter had gluten in it. His doctor told him to take vitamins (he has other issues) and after a few days he was going downhill fast. Long story short...the coating on the pills had gluten in them. He was so sad. He felt like he was starting all over again. Some pill capsules have gluten in them too.

Gluten intolerance must be so hard to monitor. A few years ago I never even heard of it. Now, I know a lot of people who have it.

Jeepers, you might mention to your cousin that gluten can come thru in the meat, eggs and dairy. Also, some people, like my daughter, react the same to corn.

Jeepers, you might mention to your cousin that gluten can come thru in the meat, eggs and dairy. Also, some people, like my daughter, react the same to corn.

Thanks CGA. I just E-ed him about how it affects your DD! I had no idea it could come through meat and dairy etc. I'm sure he doesn't know that either. He was just diagnosed about two years ago so it's all still pretty new to him.

A lot of people think they are sensitive to milk and eggs, when in fact, it is what the animals are eating. Daughter can have them fine if they are on the right diet, otherwise they make her ill. Meat isn't quite as bad but still affects her. I raise all our meat, milk and dairy myself.

I need to mention that to a friend with new allergies popping up every month, it seems like. Perhaps this might solve some of that mystery. Thanks, CGA.

MtRider [...remembering why I really don't want to give up raising ducks-eggs and goats-milk ]

I forgot to mention in my last post, I purchased a St. John's Wort plant for 75% off at a local garden center-- I'll be planting it this weekend, after two weeks of moving the pot to guage sunlight etc. . .

Also, send a message via facebook to a friend who owns a farm out in WV. Her husband enjoys hunting up there in the wintertime-- asked if he'd like to show a girl the ropes this summer. I don't know if he'd be up to it, but at least I can ask, right?

Zopiel - I know how that is! I can't get anyone to teach me how to hunt :( Maybe my sis-in-law would...

I got some walnuts and pecans collected last week, and I still need to go out and get some more. I just chased some crows away from the walnuts in the driveway... So I'm gonna need to get out there soon and pick them up while they're still there!

I had a busy prep week this week. I went to Sams Club and stocked up. That wasn't too bad because I had a gift card from D-ex for Wal-Mart. Good to know Sams accept them! I think I have enough paper products to last for 3 years if properly stored. I bought some paper plates for emergency only. I figured I could burn them in the fire place once they are used instead of loading up the trash can.

Made a run to Wal-Mart for small stuff.

Today I went to Lehmans. It was packed! That is unusual for this time of year and in the middle of the week. I was very surprised. It was so busy almost all of their shopping carts were in use. One thing they had at their outlet store was a washing machine. I think it was called the Big Green Washing Machine. It looked like one of those compost barrels turned on its side. It was on legs and had a handle that moved a bar inside. It was all enclosed like a barrel and painted green. It was really neat. I think it was $337.00 though. They only had one. I think it was a discontinued item. Their outlet store is small with not much in it but it's just across the parking lot so I went in.

We bought garlic to plant. I can't remember the name, but it's a German kind.

I ended up dehydrating about 8 lbs. of onions this week.

From our garden, I pulled, scrubbed, peeled and sliced carrots. I have 7 lbs. in the fridge ready to get blanched.

Some were small (not worth peeling), so I just scrubbed those ones and put them in a bag in the freezer. In the next few weeks, I need to make chicken stock, so I figure I can toss them in the pot.

I had to take daughter off store bought meat, eggs and dairy because she was reacting to the gluten and corn the animals were fed. I have to feed the animals corn and gluten free as well as daughter.

Thank you for bringing that up, CGA. I can't have eggs or milk (I'm ok with block Kraft cheese and parm. cheese, though).

Wheewwww....I've got the dehydrator full of onions right now. That's about a 3rd of the onions I have to do.

Got the tops clipped off the carrots, basic wash, and stored in fridge. May have to dehydrate some of them too.

Got the beets topped, washed, and put into oven to roast them [little water in the pan/cover tightly]. It is SO much easier than trying to boil a whole lot of them. I HOPE to get them peeled/canned for pickled beets. :yum3:

That leaves only the turnips...which BigDog keeps running in the garage to snitch. She loves veggies. I'll try dehydrating slices of them this time. Canning doesnt' work well for turnips. :shakinghead: They turn an unappetizing color of grey.

MtRider [progress....I love to report progress! ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

I never thought the day would come when I would run low on my tuna stash. I had over a hundred cans bought for 39 cents about a year or so ago. It's time to replenish my stock with the new smaller 5 ounce cans.

Got the beets topped, washed, and put into oven to roast them [little water in the pan/cover tightly]. It is SO much easier than trying to boil a whole lot of them. I HOPE to get them peeled/canned for pickled beets. :yum3:

I have to get beets pulled out of the garden today. Do they keep in the fridge awhile?

How long do you roast them and at what temp? (We've never done beets before)

Yes, they will keep in the fridge for quite a few days BUT make sure to clip off the greens right away. Boil up for fry the young, tender greens for a very nutritious food. Or put into salad. Beet greens are not as bitter as some other greens like turnips.

I just washed dirt off first with garden hose while they sit in a wire basket. Used kitchen shears to cut off the greens but not cutting into the root cuz it will bleed. You'll have a half inch of greens still on there. Also leave the hairy root on so it doesn't bleed. I do a second wash in sink with a veggie scrubber brush cuz roots get dirt/sand everywhere. But you will be peeling them afterwards so it's not that vital.

Then I put into a pot with an inch or so of water and a very tight seal on lid/tin foil. It takes over an hour if some beets are large - a couple inches wide. Just poke a wooden skewer into the center of a big one. If it goes in, it's pretty well done. If is slides in like a hot knife in butter, you're almost too done. If you're going to make pickled beets, it's best to leave them a little more firm. If you're having them for supper with butter melted on top, :yum3: then I cook them to the softer stage. I set oven at 350.

Peeling is simple. Slice off the top and root and discard to compost pile. The skin will slide off easily by just kinda squishing against the beet. Don't worry about getting your fingers very RED. It does wash off if you don't leave it on that long. Just gooosh those skins off. :lol:

[i just asked a beet question in Preserving the Harvest forum, if you want to check out any answers I get, OutOfTheOrdinary. ]

EDITED to add: You can also bury your raw beets [greens clipped off] in damp sand [get play sand for children's sandbox]or sawdust [lumberyard?]. If you have a dark, cool place like a basement/root cellar, they will keep for a couple months or longer. Must keep it damp..not soggy. Eventually they will begin to send up more greens from their tops and that drains the goodies out of the root. Make sure they do not have any nick or cut. Eat any that you nailed with the gardening fork when loosening the soil. They won't keep and will spread ick to other beets nearby.

MtRider [...beets are one of our favorites! :feedme: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

Yes, they will keep in the fridge for quite a few days BUT make sure to clip off the greens right away. Boil up for fry the young, tender greens for a very nutritious food. Or put into salad. Beet greens are not as bitter as some other greens like turnips.

I just washed dirt off first with garden hose while they sit in a wire basket. Used kitchen shears to cut off the greens but not cutting into the root cuz it will bleed. You'll have a half inch of greens still on there. Also leave the hairy root on so it doesn't bleed. I do a second wash in sink with a veggie scrubber brush cuz roots get dirt/sand everywhere. But you will be peeling them afterwards so it's not that vital.

Then I put into a pot with an inch or so of water and a very tight seal on lid/tin foil. It takes over an hour if some beets are large - a couple inches wide. Just poke a wooden skewer into the center of a big one. If it goes in, it's pretty well done. If is slides in like a hot knife in butter, you're almost too done. If you're going to make pickled beets, it's best to leave them a little more firm. If you're having them for supper with butter melted on top, :yum3: then I cook them to the softer stage. I set oven at 350.

Peeling is simple. Slice off the top and root and discard to compost pile. The skin will slide off easily by just kinda squishing against the beet. Don't worry about getting your fingers very RED. It does wash off if you don't leave it on that long. Just gooosh those skins off. :lol:

[i just asked a beet question in Preserving the Harvest forum, if you want to check out any answers I get, OutOfTheOrdinary. ]

EDITED to add: You can also bury your raw beets [greens clipped off] in damp sand [get play sand for children's sandbox]or sawdust [lumberyard?]. If you have a dark, cool place like a basement/root cellar, they will keep for a couple months or longer. Must keep it damp..not soggy. Eventually they will begin to send up more greens from their tops and that drains the goodies out of the root. Make sure they do not have any nick or cut. Eat any that you nailed with the gardening fork when loosening the soil. They won't keep and will spread ick to other beets nearby.

MtRider [...beets are one of our favorites! :feedme: ]

Thank you, MtRider!! I appreciate it! When I haven't done something before, it's really nice to get details on how someone else does it. This was our first year for growing beets, so we didn't plant very many--not enough to can, but too many to eat right away, so I'm going to freeze some.

We got all of our carrots blanched and in the freezer. I'm hoping to get the beets taken care of in the next few days. We have a frost advisory for tonight, so I'm glad I got them inside.

Always glad to pass it along. :lois:

Beet and carrots can take many frosts and not even damage the leaves. Makes most root crops sweeter, actually. Especially turnips, which have a somewhat bitter taste. You can sometimes cover the carrots with heavy mulch of straw and keep harvesting til early winter. They won't be growing but it's temporary root cellaring til it gets really cold. We've been having frost since Sept. and I just harvested the bulk of my root crops last week. Just so you'll know it's part of the garden you won't have to worry about till last.

One clarification: While I said the red stain comes off your hands, I won't say the same for coming off clothing, carpet, dish cloths... Mebbe and mebbe not. And...they are realllly slippery once the skins are off so be forewarned. :lol:

I'm thinking of dehydrating some of them, sliced really thin. Heard they are good but haven't tried yet. I really ought to experiment. Aiieee....I don't have enough energy to complete this garden. :0327:

MtRider [...doin' that coupon shopping at Safeway tomorrow. :) ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
clarity

-Bought a Brita water filter. I know it's not a long term solution but it certainly helps in that direction.

-Started thinking about what would go on a list of long term storage needs, and how best to deal with those, and what kinds of storage.

Have it narrowed down to

BOB/SIP kit

3 Mos No Job

3 Mos TEOTWAWKI

6 Mos No Job

6 Mos TEOTWAWKI

12 Mos No Job

12 Mos TEOTWAWKI

Difference in No Job vs TEOTWAWKI is that no job I'm hoping we'd be able to swing power, as opposed to a complete interruption of services. So I can use my freezers and conventional cooking methods.

-Gave measurements to DH to make a plywood table top to the BOB box to turn it into a coffee table. There's really nowhere to store it inside and I need somewhere that food and water won't freeze. He'll make a table top for it and I'll cover it with a pretty cloth and there ya go. Hidden storage in the house, and a coffee table which we need anyway.

Mo7

LOL I have a 'real' coffee table and it holds, among other things, my pressure canner [sherman] :canning:

Today I stripped out a food BOB [actually saddlebags dedicted for just emergency food if we had to get out by horseback..... :sad-smiley-012: ....which is no longer going to be an option if I succeed in giving away my horse and donkey. But, saddlebags can be thrown into the vehicle(s) too. ANYway, it had been a while since I looked thru it and it definitely needed an update. It hold several large foil packs of nutritional shake powder, tea (me), coffee (DH), Hillshire farms beefstick, the illustrious ramen, 4 large packets of dry soup mixes [added a Bear Creek one purchased yesterday with COUPON!, took out tuna cans that need to be used up, added some packets of 'cuttlefish' (mebbe it's a Hawaii thing but :yum3: ) which is a LOT lighter, 6 small RiceARoni boxes. Then hoisted it back into it's position, at the ready. There is a list of supplemental foods to grab, if there's time, before heading out. Nutritional bars, fresh tuna tins, raisin container, nuts and jerky kept in the freezer, etc. This all would be the inital, on-the-move type food in a crisis. EZ to just eat or minimal cooking.

Yesterday I stocked up on marked down Progresso soup. I'd much rather eat my own soup but there are two advantages to these. 1)..I haven't canned in a while and don't want soup taking up room in my freezer. 2)...tinned soup can be transported easier/safer than homecanned in glass. :shrug:

I hope to have some energy (mebbe tonite?) to either: dehydrate some sweet peppers (from yesterday's frozen food section raid) OR chop/dehydrate more garden onions OR get started with the pickled beet project. :twister3: But this is my laid-low time of day and nothing is getting done just now 'cept this. :pc_coffee:

MtRider :0327: ...just waiting for the next energy burst...or dribble :rolleyes: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider
fixin' uncoorperative smilies

Wheewwww....I've got the dehydrator full of onions right now. That's about a 3rd of the onions I have to do.

Got the tops clipped off the carrots, basic wash, and stored in fridge. May have to dehydrate some of them too.

That leaves only the turnips...which BigDog keeps running in the garage to snitch. She loves veggies. I'll try dehydrating slices of them this time. Canning doesnt' work well for turnips. :shakinghead: They turn an unappetizing color of grey.

Hey Mt Rider, have you ever tried pickling those turnips? I found a recipes a long ways back, it looked interesting.....also I have dehydated beets. They dried down well (except for leaving red juice on the dehydrator trays, but it washed off). Rehydration took simmering, and they were a little leathery but taste was excellent. I would dry beets again, they were tasty.

Edited by kappydell

I've been canning proteins. Whatever meat is on sale. I got a new smaller canner (easier to handle until I am back to my stronger self). So far I've canned pickled eggs, boned chicken in broth, stew meat in broth, ham cubes in broth and the extra ham broth from the trimmings for flavoring soups, beans and such. Wal mart had some canning jars, their brand was 1/2 the price of Ball, so I buy more whenever I see them. Next week I plan on doing ground beef and some beans & bacon. Can you tell I like to can?