MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

I ordered a pair of hiking boots. My old hiking shoes are wearing thin, my steel toed athletic looking shoes give me blisters and are too heavy up front for long walking and these will better support my feet overall. They are not the really nice ones but should be adequate. I hope they fit right. Not having worn this brand before , it's possible they wont, but i got them wider for thicker socks. I was able to budget them in for this months prep.

I want to get more mixed veggies and carrots and dehydrate them tomorrow. At least shipping was free.

I love my hiking boots, and we've stocked up on real wool socks. They really do keep your footsies warm! In winter I don't mess with cotton. Mountain Man says "cotton kills" if your in a wilderness/snow/survival situation.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Added some items we didn't have enough of in our pantry...medicated lip salves, medicated powders, toothpaste we got on sale...2 big tubes for $1, stick matches, deodorant/anti-perspirants and a few other things. Will have to vacume seal the deodorants to keep them from drying out in time. Will start vacume sealing our stick matches in jars & and glueing the strike strip to the top of the lid, and then once it's sealed, then put the ring on. That'll keep it all dry and ready for use. Even if we need to break the seal, we'll use the "punch a hole & hand vacume" technique to re-seal if we don't have electricity. Put up ALOT of meat that we got at Sav-A-Lot. Should last us awhile. We buy meats every few months, unless it's on sale (like this weekend), then we go ahead (if we've got the room) and stock earlier. Vacume sealed 16 qt.sized bags of country sausage (bulk), 6 portioned out pork loin roast (I can slow cook them or slice for boneless pork chops), 3 portioned out briskets, 9 large chicken breasts, and 3 nice portion sized beef roasts. Got the freezer and deep freeze pretty full now with meats & frozen veggies. Going to go back to $Tree this next week sometime (when they've got enough) and pick up about a dozen of their vegetable medley-type mixes (cauliflower, carrots & broccoli) to get them on the dehydrator.

Only prepping I've accomplished lately is getting two new handguns (one of which is going back for repairs already, see the gun forum for the whole story). But there is another gun show on th 24th that I am going to take my little sister to. She LOVES knives, and after going to the couple over the weekend I knew she would love to go.

I now have a free dehydrator. It's covered in dirt, but it's never been used, so I don't have to worry about gluten.

Yay!

:woohoo:

A little bleach water will have it cleaned up in no time!

I now have a free dehydrator. It's covered in dirt, but it's never been used, so I don't have to worry about gluten.

Yay!

:woohoo:

A little bleach water will have it cleaned up in no time!

That's the plan once I have all the dishes done! Ummm...it might take a day or two. :dishes:

Finished preparing my gardens and was able to start planting yesterday. 4' x 8' of white corn, 2 types of onions, 2 types of carrots, 2 types of radishes, sage, thyme, oregano, basil, and a couple of mammoth sunflowers - all the seeds are non-gmo heirloom. Hoping to plant the peat starter pots with jalapeño, cayenne, and 3 types of tomatoes, plus, plant the beats, zucchini, spinach, and more today.

I picked up some bags of shredded paper at work yesterday. I'm storing them in my garden shed until spring. It makes great compost when tilled into the soil. The wormies love it too. :feedme:

Good on you for the gardening, Ann!

Got the second canner load of navy bean soup going. Have two canner loads (14 qts) of black bean/chicken/veggie soup ready to go. Hope I can get them all done today. Wishing I could fit two canners on the stove at once. (I own 4 canners.)

Edited by CrabGrassAcres

While at Costco yesterday, a man in line behind me, asked the clerk about the "Gun Safe"........ SAY WHAT????? So I asked the man all about it. He says it is a really good one, holds 14 fire arms, really good price, yada, yada ,yada.

I took my groceries out to the truck. I thought about this for a minute and then went right back in and bought myself a gun safe.

Really, I have thought about it since October in Georgia. I may have put the cart before the horse, but my new "horse", when I purchase it, will really like it's new cart/home.

Edited by lovinit

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs: for Lovinit!!!!

Annarchy....can you use peat pots out in your desert conditions? :scratchhead: I always find the peat pots dehydrate anything I put in them. Finally convinced DH to stop buying them. I find it acts like a wick and draws the moisture from the plant. Especially if I have a tray of them sitting in the sun/wind before I plant them. IF DH got them planted, the bit of peat pot still sticking above soil level was there to wick the moisture right outta the ground.

Second problem: the plant roots cannot break thru the hard, dry peat pot. No way to keep them moist enough. They might as well be clay. Do you have this affect in AZ? I know our more humid members here won't relate but I was just surprised that a fellow arid-westerner is using them. :shrug:

Only prep-related things I seem to be getting done are: raising/training puppy [i know, pics overdue...she's over 60 lbs and fabulous!], falling down :rolleyes: , getting crown #2 begun. It's SO dry here that the rolling tiny rocks are loosened up from the "soil" and it's like walking on ball bearings! We neeeeeeed rain - snow- blizzard!!! We're not picky!

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Annarchy....can you use peat pots out in your desert conditions? :scratchhead: I always find the peat pots dehydrate anything I put in them. Finally convinced DH to stop buying them. I find it acts like a wick and draws the moisture from the plant. Especially if I have a tray of them sitting in the sun/wind before I plant them. IF DH got them planted, the bit of peat pot still sticking above soil level was there to wick the moisture right outta the ground.

Second problem: the plant roots cannot break thru the hard, dry peat pot. No way to keep them moist enough. They might as well be clay. Do you have this affect in AZ? I know our more humid members here won't relate but I was just surprised that a fellow arid-westerner is using them. :shrug:

Only prep-related things I seem to be getting done are: raising/training puppy [i know, pics overdue...she's over 60 lbs and fabulous!], falling down :rolleyes: , getting crown #2 begun. It's SO dry here that the rolling tiny rocks are loosened up from the "soil" and it's like walking on ball bearings! We neeeeeeed rain - snow- blizzard!!! We're not picky!

MtRider :pc_coffee:

DH has gotten involved in the garden for the first time ever and he suggested them for starting the tomatoes and peppers. The package said when you plant them, "make sure the pot is completely covered with soil".

Yes, very very dry and clay. Took a ziploc of soil to the old nursery run by a master gardener, he said, "yup, see the ribbon when you press on it? Clay." Then, recommended a blend of soil they produce, which one of the county extention offices uses: 2 parts real organic forest mulch, 1 part sand (coarser, unwashed sand with native nutrients), 1 part compost and top soil, perlite, vermiculite, soil sulfur, bone meal, gypsum, and manure. Filled the bed of my pick-up for $29. Beats the heck out of trying to buy bags and bags of each and hope I did it right.

Then, DH bought some fishing worms and buried them in the new 8'x16' plot I have spent the last month double digging.

Today, while loosening the soil to plant in one of the older plots, the earth worms were twice the size as they were last year. :happy0203:

Planted romaine lettuce, head lettuce, cabbage, beets, zucchini, celery, garlic, and spinach today.

There is a cold front moving in this weekend, I hope the seeds will be safe, because they will not be above ground yet.

Grrr, is being quite helpful watching. He was easily convinced he was not allowed to sleep in the garden, by using a clothline at his eye level around the plots.

Grrr is also doing his obedience training and is excelling beyond my expectations. He is no longer barking at every car and cat that passes the yard, and is staying close to my left side with or without his choke chain. Next week will be the real test on his car behavior when I drive to TX. And, he really loves to "Ggrrrrrrr" at anyone who comes to close to me. :happy0203:

Actually I am trying to eat better, adding lots of greens to my meals. I had gotten out of the habit and needed to get it back into my life. Tonight made tacos with beef, argentinan garlic ( fresh, with an onion chopped up with it), cabbage sliced finely, some kind of green long leaf lettuce, cheese, sliced olives and diced green chilis. didnt have room in the small shells for the tomato and avocado but they were good and the tomato and avocado can be used tomorrow and the next day. I got the garlic from argentina to see if it would sprout and grow from its fresh looking cloves. I think it might be better than the gmo gilroy garlic the store also carries?? Also succeeded in sprouting one spring onion so got a new bunch to pack the glass with for onion greens.

Re-arranged some thing in both our pantry areas to make room for more "gear"...made some additional space in the bathroom...and then gave the body some rest, after working at the Little House.

I've been researching nutrional value, water and fertilizer requirements and other growing conditions and when to harvest/plant etc of drought resistant (even drought loving) grasses and forbs as I am seriously considering moving back to the high mountain desert.

Tell me what you find, CGA. Cuz with almost no moisture this winter, even one and a half horses on our pasture is leaving it barren and dusty. :yar:

I do NOT want to deal with forest fire again.

Hey wait....you headed CO way? :hug3:

MtRider --- oh.... "one and a HALF horses" :blink::P One horse in in a paddock half the time for special feeding that the big porker horse does not need to steal from her. :24:

Lord willing and the creek don't rise before the new bridge goes in, and the Lord sends me a buyer and I can get the place I have my eye on in CO, yes, I'll be heading that way.

Will tumbleweed grow up there in the ether? You can cut and hay it in the blossom stage and it is equivalent to alfalfa. Need to mix with grass hay, like you would alfalfa though.

Never seen tumble weed near us. Alpine desert with pine, willow, aspen. And lots of yarrow and thistle. This is beginning to look like the year 2002..... :runcirclsmiley2: Soooo dry. We'd welcome that blizzard. We need a LOW in NM to send up some Gulf moisture.

MtRider ---typing with cat draped across my arms..

Congrats CG... right now with prices and availability..... that is an accomplishment!

Only one place in town had it. $27 for a box of 50 .380. Ah well. I'll quit twitching now.

I hit Big Lots. They had 12 ounce bags of corn pasta (gluten-free) for $1.80 each. I bought them out (there were only 5). I also picked up Jello packets, pizza sauce, and a Rotel tomato sauce.