MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Stopped at WM when we got back to town to pick up some fresh fruit for tomorrow's Easter dinner with our friends (I'm to bring a fruit salad). I'm taking a fruit "tray" of fresh fruit instead of a salad thing. When at WM stopped at the bakery & asked if they had any of their buckets for sale (we have started making it a ritual) and they had eleven of them! Woohoo! At a dollar each (with lids included) they are just great because they're food grade and the lids really snap on tight. I need MM to remove the lids or I need a lid opener. We're getting a pretty good stock of them and will continue. We could even store water in them if we paint the outsides a dark color & keep them out of the sun. I was really surprised when I used one for Abby's dog food (trading it for a metal one) and I wrote "dog food" on top...and it washed right off. To me that means it's REALLY a non-porous surface. I like these especially because they're square & make storage much more compact.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went through all my BOB kits, and put the contents on an Open Office spread sheet, printed them off and began to highlight were the gaps were, things I needed to take out, move to other bags and so on. I had absolutely nothing in my security (weaponry and defense) section so I've ordered a few bits for that. My dogs Bob was better off then mine just having too many collars/leads and no water, but water close by.

I looked up the local self defense, archery, medical training classes and found a few local to me, so when I'm not rushed off my feet I'm going to sign up for some.

I've also decided to start working on my fitness and weight training - to be able to carry my BOB which weighs a ton - so I'm going to get my Calentics book out again, as that's the fastest exercise I've ever found for toning muscles etc.

This morning I went through the household list and highlighted all the bits I could get before I move out (years away), so I can start doing some constructive preps for that. Later today I'm going to prep the vegetables for freezing and get some ironing done.

Edited by Purdy Bear

Still training Koa for public meeting of people. Went to the river. DH fished (no nibbles). Koa and I explored very close to DH and the truck. I had extra ....um, 'weight' at my hip. Sure enough, this early in the season, we found cougar tracks all over by the stream. :o As I said, we stayed very close to the truck/DH. I've trained myself to scan ALL the time when at home and certainly in wilder places. Never had a cougar sighting but other neighbors have.

Then a car drove along and passenger was waving wildly. They stopped and it was a woman (and her DH) we know from next door to DH's office. They have cabin up there. Miss Princess Koa was a NUT when first greeting them. Kept saying stay down, feet down, etc. But she calmed down fairly quickly and without muddying anyone. Good girl! :wub: They were impressed....which is a better calibration of how your dog is doing. She's 8 months old tomorrow. Still a baby! ....80# baby! :blink:

Finally rode my horse this week. :) Last time was in early November. It's no wonder I'm not well. But...with season improving, hopefully the barriers will not be as frequent. It's been more than a little impossible for my riding therapy.

Big accomplishment: Backed up all my files, etc from my laptop. Something we tend to put off if you don't have an automatic system. I hadn't done it in a year or more. Aiiee! Everything on a flash drive now. :D

Having trouble with my laptop, btw. TPTB decided I needed to download Windows 10.... :tapfoot: Without so much as a 'by your leave' ! Certain things are not meshing well. Today is the best it's worked for Internet purpose since they changed. My email is recording my typing at a rate of about one letter every 3 seconds. Should be five letters every second! And it's SKIPPING letters to catch up to me. Augh. Anyway, if I disappear, that's likely the problem. Hope they can just get the bugs out or give me Windows 7 back again. The Spell Check works here now tho... Never did before.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider
typo

Finally managed to set aside an extra inhaler so now I've got 2 in reserve at any time. Depressing how much I need to use it still.

Got some good hikes in and trying to walk further each time. Fixed a few things around the house that needed. Have plants started for the garden but I've already killed half of them. Gardening is not my thing, but I keep trying.

Currently airing some buckets outside - these weren't cleaned before we got them and boy do they stink like maple! (makes me want doughnuts. lol)

Mi...it could be you're "over-tending" or "under-tending" your soil. We use the square foot gardening system and use ONLY Mel's Mix...which is NOT dirt. You can also use it in bucket (container) gardening...we do potatoes and will do much more containers this year. A bit more expensive start up, but after that you don't fertilize etc., just water and occasionally add more compost when it settles, or when you pull out veggies and need some more. NEVER shake your veggies off onto your yard, it belongs in your container or square. And, don't re-use your potato mix (too acidic) in your containers for potatoes or anything else. Everything else can be re-used. Thought you'd enjoy this article...

Square Foot Gardening Soil–How to Create Mel’s Mix

You may be asking “whose mix”? Mel Bartholemew is the author of All New Square Foot Gardening system, and the founder of the square foot gardening method. He recommends filling your garden boxes with a special mix, instead of dirt. Here’s the mix, how much it cost, and the benefits:
Mel’s Mix
  • 1/3 vermiculite (we mix ours up on a large tarp, with a rake)
  • 1/3 peat moss
  • 1/3 compost (from as many sources as possible) (we buy from 3 different stores/brands)

This is done by volume. My garden beds were each 4′x4′ and needed 6″ of mix to fill them. 4x4x.5=8 cubic feet of Mel’s mix. I did three boxes, so I needed 24 cubic feet of mix, 8 cubic feet of each item. Now, this amount did fill my boxes initially, but as I watered and the mix settled, I added more compost.

The Cost

I was able to buy the peat moss and compost at WalMart or Home Depot, but I only found the vermiculite at IFA Country Stores (Intermountain Farmers Association).

• 2 large bags (3.5 cu ft) vermiculite $18.00 each
  • 1 large bale (3.8 cu ft compressed, expands to be more) peat moss, $9.00
  • 8 bags (1 cu ft) compost, $2.00 each (average price)
  • 6 extra bags (1 cu ft) compost, $2.00 each (average price)
  • TOTAL COST (three 4′x4′ boxes): $73.00
The Benefits

Why not just use dirt? You can, but there are some great benefits to Mel’s mix:

• Planting and germination–Mel’s mix is much lighter than dirt, and it doesn’t get compacted down because you never walk on it. This allows seeds to push through much easier, so you don’t have to be so particular about what depth you plant the seeds.
  • Root systems–It’s really easy for roots to grow and spread in Mel’s mix. I was surprised when I pulled up my lettuce plants, the root ball was so large, nearly the whole square came up with it. I just shook out the mix and composted the old plants.
  • Weeds–by this I mean, WHAT WEEDS! As long as you are careful with what compost you get, there are no weed seeds in your mix (unlike dirt). If a seed blows in, the mix is so loose it’s easy to tug them right out. Again, I spent less than 1% of my time in the garden weeding. As a side note, I made the mistake of buying Nutrimulch (turkey droppings), and had tons of bugs. I won’t do that again!
  • Drainage–with Mel’s mix, you cannot overwater! Mel recommends hand watering, but if you choose to irrigate, how do you get the right amount of water to each plant? Easy! I used a drip system, and watered away! Mel’s mix drains so well, you don’t have to worry about it.

When you use Mel’s mix, you don’t have to worry about what kind of soil you have, or amending the soil. Every time you plant a square, you add a trowel of compost. You don’t have to rotate where crops are planted, or do anything special, unless you want to.

Edited by Philbe

Mixed up another "batch" of 50/50 washing soda and borax and put what I could in my old oxyclean container and the rest is in jars to be used as a drain cleaner once a week. Friends gave me four gallon glass pickle jars. He gets them free from his local bowling alley. I bet I won't have one bit of trouble figuring out what to use them for...even if I can't vacume seal them! LOL

Budgetmeals for month with emphasis asis on calories protein and vitamins. Including tr

ying a more natural catfood for miss Macy. She justgobbledit right. A small portion. Will see how she does on it. Over time. Mainecoon cats m

ature at 3 to 5 years so she is still growing

working on budgeting in and arranging dental.eyes new g seriously. For future move. And need to start saving

Edited by arby

Philbe, you can vacume seal the pickle jars. Google a "manual" Pump and Seal.

We had dental work done this week also. I was thinking of Mt. Rider because I had crown work done. No issues for me other than the cost.

Philbe, you can vacume seal the pickle jars. Google a "manual" Pump and Seal.

We had dental work done this week also. I was thinking of Mt. Rider because I had crown work done. No issues for me other than the cost.

I have a hand pump etc., but haven't looked to see if there's the familiar rubber seal on the cap. Guess I'll have to take time to look! LOL

Today I used some more tote boxes to organise my accessories. I didn't realise I had so many. When I've done my cupboard they can go in there. Sorted out a bit in my Dads bedroom which has quickly become a catch all dumping room - he now sleeps downstairs.

I sorted out a bit on my BOB and my dogs Bob, added a few bits. I just need to add a flea treatment/wormer to the dog bob and its finished. Started to brainstorm the one for Dad which is going to be a major pain due to his disabilities etc.

As I want to work down my craft cupboard and move it upstairs I started to make a lot of things for our local cat charity. The felt I've had for years and never used, I can't even remember why I got it.

This week I've received:

The Doomsday Preppers manual

The Home Nursing manual

The Doctors home remedies guide Pt 1 and 2

Half sized water bottle

Folding walking stick for the Bob

Nail clippers for the dog Bob

I've ordered

Where there is no Dr

Where there is no Psychiatrist

Merycks Veterinary Manual

Quilters thimble

200 safety pins

Quilters ruler

Quilters Pattern ruler for the Daisy pattern

Edited by Purdy Bear

DH and I ended up organizing some of our basement today.

He started doing a plumbing project yesterday, which turned into doing some work on the duct work. Cleaning up from all of that today turned into us getting some things re-arranged better. (Sometimes I want to move just to have an empty area to start with instead of shuffling things around in a small space, all in an attempt to organize!). So the water barrels are now in their permanent spot. We bought a shelving unit for a bunch of laundry jugs and bottles I had on the floor (no other space for them).

DH and I ended up organizing some of our basement today.

He started doing a plumbing project yesterday, which turned into doing some work on the duct work. Cleaning up from all of that today turned into us getting some things re-arranged better. (Sometimes I want to move just to have an empty area to start with instead of shuffling things around in a small space, all in an attempt to organize!). So the water barrels are now in their permanent spot. We bought a shelving unit for a bunch of laundry jugs and bottles I had on the floor (no other space for them).

I know what ya mean! Being "conservatives" sometimes surrounds us! LOL

Went to the swap-n-shop yesterday and the expo today. Found lots of things we needed, even though we probably shouldn't have spent the $$$. Ammo was at the top of our list, and IT IS COSTLY and some of it just down right hard to find! But, we did find several bricks to add to our gun safe. Also was able to pick up some #10 cans of dehydrated foods; cheese, butter, chicken, beef & sausage crumbles. Also found strike anywhere matches (they are soooo hard to find, and pricey!) that were only $5 for a box of three! So we stocked up. Mountain Man also found some heavy duty, stainless steel carbiners ... to tie down our canoe and a few other tool related items. It was just worth the trips to both places, even though it made our days long. Drove to one and spent the day, then came home...slept and then drove to the next event...now home, and again, tuckered out! Tomorrow it's time to get our Mel's Mix together, add the new squares, and get my potatoes in their buckets. Will wait until after the 12th to plant any other containers etc. But...we'll have enough to do tomorrow just getting those projects done.

I've received all the books, and some of the quilting stuff.

I'm banging my head against the wall for my next English exam as everyone has turned it into a class based curriculum when you just go along and do it on the internet. I'm trying to find a course done solely on line which would be ideal for me. It is almost like God doesn't want me to go down this road and is putting every road block you can imagine in my way. Ho Hum!

Hope you find what you need, Purdy.

I finally ordered a new B/P cuff. I had one and it was borrowed and never returned. I hate replacing stuff people 'borrow'.

While I was at it, I ordered a blood sugar monitor and test strips. Figure that was MUCH cheaper than multiple trips to the doc for routine testing. Lot of diabetics in my ancestry. Of course to get free shipping I had to order a couple bags of candy to bring the total up. LOL (Could have ordered something else, but was too lazy to try to think of anything or hunt for it.).