MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

We've come a long way and still have a long way to go. We had two storage buildings that had to be emptied and we got that done, saving the money for the rent and making enough at a yard sale to pay for gas/food for a long family trip we had to make ... and had $400 left when we got home to pay off the next-to-the-last debt we have!!! Woop Woop!! If all goes according to plan, we will be debt free but the house by year's end!!!

What a burden lifted!!

God was good and we finally found a tiller at a garage sale last weekend .. we've been looking since we put the first garden in three or so years ago. We either got there too late or didn't have the cash or something. But we got a Craftsman ... $800-900 retail for $100!!!! It has dual rotating tines and has been used maybe two seasons!! We also got a smaller tiller for $20 to use in the beds around the house or in tight spots, and a garden cart for $25. We're just so thrilled. We were planning to expand the back yard garden this fall when the weather cools down a little, and this will really make that possible.

We also got six old windows for $10 each ... originally marked $30 each at ReStore ... we're going to put in a green house, hopefully this fall as well.

The full plan is to expand the privacy fence on the side yard to bring that 12x32 patch of ground into the back. We'll move our firewood and water storage over there and free up space in the back yard for a small storage building. All the yard equipment will go in that and free up space in the garage as a work area and for long-term storage that can take the heat.

We're moving food storage to a room at the back of the house and trying to get organized in general in every room ... a place for everything and everything in its place.

This is what I've been saying since I first found Mrs. S ... so you may be thinking ... when you gonna stop talking and start doing!!! lol

The difference is, DH and I are FINALLY on the same page. It only took us 12 years to get there ... but one day we looked up ... and there we were ... same page!!

It's amazing how fast things change when you and your spouse are working toward the same goals!!

Thank you all for your encouragement and knowledge over the years. I don't get by here often anymore, but hopefully that will be a change as well.

DD and I have started pooling our resources to make tinctures and get an herbal medicine cabinet going. I printed a lot of material off here years ago, but I will be getting back into that research as well. Our sweet GDD is growing and thriving and doing well after an early scare and I spend much of my time getting to her!!! All roads lead to Lily!!

I think it's wonderful!!! We call garage sale selling and buying "recycling"...:-)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I ended up in Amish country today. I found a lot of asparagus for sale there at one of their local markets so this weekend I'm canning that up. I don't eat it too often (mostly because it's so expensive) so what I got will last me for several years...I hope.

Lehmans sells mylar bags now. I didn't realize it until I got home and read it in the catalog. Probably a good thing I didn't know about it because I really don't need any more right now and I would have probably bought some. You know, just to stock up. :rolleyes:

Finally got the eight 5-gallon water containters filled. Boy, were they a bear to get cleaned out when I used soap and water ~ then I finished reading the directions :Blushing: ans saw they suggested using 3 tsp of bleach and a gallon of hot water swished around as opposed to soap/water to eliminate the soap residue worry :misc-smiley-231: (note to self, completely read the directions first!). Filled, they were too heavy for me to lift, even filling them, when they reached a point where I couldn't keep the containter angled toward the faucet because it was too heavy, so I had to have my son fill and carry them.

So now I have a whopping 10 days worth of water for 4 people. At least it's a start!

Thanks Philbe! We love to recycle, for sure!

Started building sweet potato mounds this morning. Planting some watermelon and other melon seeds now, to transplant to the row in a few weeks, and have asked for another kind of watermelon seeds that should arrive any day now. Got some pine straw, which one of the guys will shred up so we can transplant the blueberries. My son bought me new loppers to replace the disappeared ones--long-handled loppers to handle branches up to 1.75 inches thick and little ratcheted loppers for 3/4 inch and less.

This morning I came home after an hour or so of shoveling compost and collapsed on the bed, my heart pounding and my head aching and sweat running everywhere, and I grinned. There was a time, decades ago, when I would run around the block two or three times to get my blood moving for the day. Just a few weeks ago, walking down the block to the garden left me too wiped out to do much more than walk home. I am nowhere near where I was in my twenties, and probably never will be. But I'm better. Noticeably--and rather quickly--I'm getting better.

Now, back to the watermelon seeds.

I've done a few bits this week:

a) Downloaded lots of free-bee apocolpytic books for my Kindle and started reading those.

B) Got lots of books on chemistry, maths, biology, physics, business studies, as well as expanding my medical library.

c) Increase the weight in my back pack to help to get up to a decent BOB weight.

d) Looked into getting an exercise bike followed by a road/mountain bike. I might go down the training rollers route as then I would have got used to the bike without getting out on a busy roads where I live.

e) Added some band aids and pain killers to my medical kit in my back pack.

f) My research into cats is going well. I am really drawn to the bigger breads like the Maine Coon, Norweign Forest Cat, Siberan and Bengal so once I've settled down to a few breeds I will have to do a cat test to see if I'm allergic or not, plus test my dog for cat friendliness. I do have a cat flap which is sealed at the moment so I could just open that and see.

g) I've actively increased my liquid intake, as I was only having 2 pints a day when it should have been at least 4 a day for my climate.

h) Went down with a slight hamstring strain so I've found out about physio exercises, strength training and warm up exercises on You Tube for that.

i) Made my first camo tunic/apron with multiple pockets. I just simply drew a pattern from the current tunic I have, made that up and then added two layers of 8 pockets to the front below the waist line and one pocket to the shoulder to hold the pen and fob watch.

j) Started to meditate everyday with basic yoga (Sun Salutation) and exercises before. It's really de-stressed from everything going on at the moment.

I can't think of anything else but I am sure there is more.

Purdy, I wouldn't recommend the Bengal cat for indoors. They are VERY hard to housebreak. Very intelligent cats and personable, but need space and are rather on the wild side.

My friend has a Maine Coon and I wouldn't mind having one if I ever got another cat, but I won't have another Bengal.

Thanks, I have heard the Bengals are some what hard to handle so very much for the very experienced owner. I am edging towards the MC, or Siberan.

Loved our Maine Coon. :wub:

Got to Walmart, due to a mistaken mission to tell my folks their phone wasn't working. ....and it was OURS that wasn't working.

So I picked up more of things we've been using up lately. Pulling some out of storage and wanting to keep replacing that. Peanut butter, jelly, B. Soda, olive oil, crackers, etc. Lots of it was stuff good for short term crisis. Want to keep that stocked well. Was looking for metal garbage can to store some food I've acquired in mylar bags. Bags too long for buckets. Been sitting in my bedroom for couple months while I figure something. Finally gave in and reluctantly bought 3 Sterlite [couldn't even find Rubbermaid] totes. I'll have to use duct tape to seal the edges. Inside the mylar, there shouldn't be any odor to draw the mice....hopefully. :pray:

Forgot to get another Chilly Towel for the heat issues. Been using mine in our now-not-air-conditioned vehicle. Works WELL with the windows partly opened. Arid region so evaporative cooling works well. Ah well, I might find myself at Walmart again in a few monts..... :rolleyes:

Plan to move most of the BO stuff that sits right inside the door....behind a chair. [in lieu of closets which this house doesn't have] Plan to set most of it up right inside big garage door. Easy to access and toss into back of truck. Clear up the space behind chair for those things that can't take the close-to-freezing temps...or stuff I have to access upstairs. Just have to get the energy going with nothing else to steal the project.

MtRider :dusting:

We took "some" of the yard sale $$$ and bought another 12 gauge (like the one we have) so MM would have Philbe as a "back up"..LOL Also found a local online seller that was selling 9mm for about half price, so MM bought a hand full of boxes. If you'll recall we had a surprise occasion to need our 12 gauge just recently, and decided we'd buy another one just like it since it's so "formidable" looking (LOL). The yard sale and a store sale that was within a 30 minute drive gave us that opportunity a bit sooner than we though!

:thumbs: for Philbe! That was a good turnover of goods for better goods!

We got our phone service back....almost. Could call all the way to the city. Later they restored ability to call 'next door'. Still can't get through to anyone in mid-range.....like my folks and our friend's work. :scratchhead: Weird!

Living without some modern technology would be dangerous. THINKING of how we'd handle the wildfires in a post-Hooey situation. :wacko: Couldn't do it. No phone. No radio/TV/Internet announcing where it was. No air support - water, slurry. All with hand-dug containment lines. ....course after a few years, the forests would not look like they do now. With massive overgrowth. If this drought keeps up, our forests are not going to look like they do now anyway. But the truely blackened, sterilized moonscapes are heart-rending. Fortunately not all of the fire zones turn out that bad. Some fast-moving fires leave plenty of trees. I suppose the way it used to happen before we started stopping all the fires. Better this thinning happens now than post-Hooey? :unsure:

MtRider -- pondering low-tech living on a grande scale :blink:

Edited by Mt_Rider

DH got his license for short wave radio this weekend!! Whoop Whoop!!

That's been on our list for awhile, and now it's done. He met the local group here and will start going to their meetings as well. We've been on the lookout for radio equipment, but haven't found what he wants yet. We'll just keep hanging in there until we find the right deal. Ideally, he will find something modern, with the computerized components and a basic model for power outages .... that's the goal anyway.

Our woods are overdue for burning too, Mt Rider. Too many drought killed trees. Nobody harvesting wood for heating or cooking. I expect some of that would change post hooey as people gather dead wood to cook and heat with, though there are few wood burning stoves in these parts. I have a tiny one in storage here that could be installed in the house if it were winter or used outside in summer to cook on. Most of the homes around here are mobiles and total electric.

:thumbs: for Philbe! That was a good turnover of goods for better goods!

We got our phone service back....almost. Could call all the way to the city. Later they restored ability to call 'next door'. Still can't get through to anyone in mid-range.....like my folks and our friend's work. :scratchhead: Weird!

Living without some modern technology would be dangerous. THINKING of how we'd handle the wildfires in a post-Hooey situation. :wacko: Couldn't do it. No phone. No radio/TV/Internet announcing where it was. No air support - water, slurry. All with hand-dug containment lines. ....course after a few years, the forests would not look like they do now. With massive overgrowth. If this drought keeps up, our forests are not going to look like they do now anyway. But the truely blackened, sterilized moonscapes are heart-rending. Fortunately not all of the fire zones turn out that bad. Some fast-moving fires leave plenty of trees. I suppose the way it used to happen before we started stopping all the fires. Better this thinning happens now than post-Hooey? :unsure:

MtRider -- pondering low-tech living on a grande scale :blink:

Well, perhaps they're not listening in on ya?!

Late afternoon, I could finally call my folks and vice versa. We'd set up my long-distance brother as a relay of messages. But now we're up to service again. :cheer:

Got some goods FINALLY outta my bedroom and into storage in the cool garage/basement area. Had inspiration to move an unused small shelving unit down there to put DH's hobby stuff upon...instead of tripping on it on the floor! This was preliminary to moving some of the BO stuff down there.

MtRider -- ack, smoke back tonite heavy.

Made a Honeyville order using a 15% off code...ends tomorrow. Doing more decluttering. Ordered The End by G. Michael Hopf...one of martianchicks guests on media prepper.

Edited by dogmom4

It takes at least 6 months to grow out a pig, depending on how large you want them. He is now 9 weeks old. Growing nicely. I'm feeding excess milk and ground grains (mostly corn and oats) with minerals and vitamins. He is in a large pen with lots of weeds but hasn't shown any interest in them yet. He eats and then lays down in the chicken coop in the pen for a nice long nap.

You probably already know that raw potatoes are indigestible for a pig, but cooked potatoes are nutritious and eagerly consumed. Seems like pigs prefer any food cooked, especially in cold weather.

I will never tire of watching pigs hunt down, kill, and eat poisonous snakes. Not that thrilled with the memories of them doing the same with cats, though.

Edited by Ambergris

Maybe Mr. Piggy needs to eat some of his "greens" before he gets oatmeal pudding for dessert!

Is he going to be the meal or be the "make a meal" if you find him a wife.

Dh is on a northern, fly in, fishing trip with his nephews, and friends. His preparation for that trip resulted in a few meals being put away in the freezer, a bit of cleaning out, and some new prep items.

He bought some new fishing gear, and a carry pack, (not what I would have chosen) but it will be useful for a bag in our vehicle.

We are expecting company, so I have been fluffing up the nest a bit. We needed new pillows and bedding, nothing expensive, but clean and fresh.

EVERYONE should own pillow protectors! They save on the pillows so much, and make you feel cleaner when you can launder the quilted covers.

We did a bed shuffle, so now I have a twin bed, with a trundle under it, in the guest room/SICK room. That made me happy!

I have decided to freeze all of my greens. I have been using spinach and kale in green smoothies, (some I just froze in bunches, and it is fine.) Off season produce is so expensive and I can easily get the year's worth by doing this. The nasty part is I dread standing at the sink to wash it all before it hits the frosty freezer. The store stuff was "prewashed". Oh well BIG money saver there.

We have had hot weather this past week but are, and were last night, getting a lovely gentle rain. That makes me happy too because dh had rigged up an old/junk farm sprayer tank to water with. You have to be there with the antique tractor to make it work off of the pto. We need ear protection, and a truck load of mosqito repelent to sit out there in the cool of the evenings to water.

I've asked dh to try to rig a sprinkler system so we can use that time doing something else. It is handy though because we just drive to what needs watering. We subdivided the homequarter to keep out 17 acres for our home yard, so we have been moving things about.

We cleaned up dead wood and piled it in the pasture, it will be burned in the winter, none of it is any good for firewood, save kindling. Since we were working with so much wood, I have been hinting to dh that a new wood burning stove insert for the fire place would be a good idea. I have shown him pictures and he seemed interested. THANK YOU OCT. LAST GATHERING PEOPLE for that!

I have managed to sqirrel some cash away in the house, so now my next big goal will be that stove. We are traveling through the US to visit our children this month, so I need to research as much as I can before we go in case I can bring one home. I have all kinds of old stoves stocked away but none that home insurance will allow.

I need to get the beds done up. Floors cleaned, dusting done, and the fridge cleaned out, so see you later.

"Pig Ed" is a barrow, so he IS dinner! Wish I had a garden to throw him extra, but he will have to be satisfied with what is growing in his pen. If he cleans that out I'll move him to a fresh spot. With the drought, there is no way I could keep a garden going. He is in a large pen, about 50x60.