MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Had to look that up too....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestic_pig

Glossary of terms

Since the domestic pig is a major domesticated animal, it is known by many names. A "boar" is a male domesticated pig. A castrated male pig is called a "barrow". A "sow" is a female pig. A sow may "farrow" (verb) a litter of "piglets", which is described as a "farrow" (noun). A female pig that has never been pregnant is called a "gilt". Anything resembling or anything characteristic of pigs is known as "porcine", and the breed may be either "swine", or "pig", whereas larger specimens in the US are typically "hogs". In Old and Middle English, the "pig" was originally reserved for small, young swine.

And now you know....the rest of the story! :D In our area, the ones you raise for meat were called "weaners".... as opposed to, but possibly related to, "weiners". Never did pigs/hogs on our farm. :shrug: Except on the dinner table! :feedme:

OK...I've been doing some overdue clutter cleaning in bedroom. Oye, with me feeling poorly a lot these months, what a mess stacked up. It's coming along nicely and I can find things.

I made a slight change in how I'm doing MY Get-Home-Bag. I don't leave it in the vehicle. DH's lives there but I'm rarely with him. Waste of equipment if he comes home with only his. But if I'm ever with him and something happens where we have to GET HOME without the vehicle, I need a duplicate of his bag. His bag is a knapsack with wheeled option....since most likely he'd be walking home on Hwy. So I put a knapsack on a small-but-sturdy wheeled dolly [one from the days before luggage had it's own wheels]. I have a second bag with all my specialized-for-summer stuff ....ice packs, chilly towel, jeans, jacket, raingear, extra footwear, etc. I tend to be wearing shorts/tank and if rain happens, I need warmer clothes even if the Hooey Hasn't Hit Fan. Both bags fit on the dolly and I bring the whole business into the house and just park it near our door. [Goal: stick some of our few MRE's in the GHB]

So now we have sort-of matching GetHomeBags. :D What I really need to GetHome without vehicle though, is a collapsible rickshaw. :0327::rolleyes:

MtRider - Sorting actual BugOut equipment and moving that downstairs next to garage door is next on list....or so I'm saying now.... :wave:

Edited by Mt_Rider
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ordered some flip mittens (you flip them back and you have gloves under with the tips of the fingers exposed so you can have some dexterity without exposing your whole hand), some smart wool socks, wool knit cap, brimmed floppy hat, long underpants (wool/cotton/nulon blend), cotton PJs, camping/signaling mirror, fire stick, and a ceramic knife sharpener, for my up coming trek. Already ordered 2 pair of really good hiking boots and a good back pack. Ordered a reel of paracord. Need to go dig around in the storage trailer. I know I have some webbing down there. I ordered no see um mesh too. Still need some double wall ripstop. Going to make a hammock sleeping system. Not really into tents any more.

I am going to reccomend bear spray and belt holder for the can, to you CGA. Black bear count and feral hogs count is way up in recent years on the AT trail. Usually if you make some noise as you walk they just avoid you but sometimes they are a bit too interested.

Sounds exciting CGA! I have some of those 'flip mittens' too and really like them. I use them a lot in the winter (duh) when I have to be outside pumping gas etc. I use the glove part while I'm messing with the pump and flip the mitten part over while I'm waiting for the tank to fill. Same thing if I have to brush snow off the car. Mittens up for snow removal, gloves up for driving and shopping.

Looking at ordering the EcoZoom Versa Rocket Stove from amazon bc we have been told if we have a bad winter at our new house it could be a week or two before power could be turned back on, wondering if anyone owns something like this and what they think about it. We also own camp stoves but thought we would save our propane for the buddy heater. Also I had a blue perculator coffee pot from walmart but it rusted really fast are there better brands or places to buy something to boil water in that's easily to pour?

Edited by fishermanwife

They are rather pricey and you have to use them outside. If you are heating with the propane, cooking in the room where you are heating, using the propane canisters is not wasting your propane as it will warm the room at the same time. I'd suggest rather that you use the funds to buy two or three of the 5 gallon propane tanks and a long hose to connect them to the buddy heater. Don't use one of those //'swap your tank for a full one" deals you see outside of stores. Take your tanks to a local propane dealer to have them filled. Much cheaper. I used a camp propane two burner cook stove in the house with one of the 5 gal tanks for years with no problems. You just have to be sure you don't have any leaks and you are good to go. I also have the 2 mantle propane lantern that I used in the house hooked to the 5 gal tank. Provides heat and light.

Thanks I didn't think of it as heating the house too, and I will look for a refill place instead of exchange if we ever buy the adapter thing to use the big tanks right now they all take the little propane bottles and while they probably cost a little more they fit in my storage hidie holes right now til we get a storage shed built.

Waterbathed 8 half pints of berries yesterday. Glad new modem is installed on pc!

ps...forgot to mention that while on our motorcycle ride Saturday, we stopped & visited with a lady who has a little store that she sells small amounts of grains etc. She had quart and pint sized Kerr jars for alot less that what I've been paying at WM. She took our name & phone and set aside 2 dozen of the quarts and 2 dozen of the pints and we'll pick them up week after next when we get back down to that area to camp. Also is setting us back a supply of mylar bags that she has. Still trying to "un-fuzzy" the brain from this low thyroid thing! Glad when my body catches up with the Synthroid.

Edited by Philbe

It's been a couple of very busy weeks for me, with hospital appointments for Dad, and various small disasters that have needed plumbers, roofers to fix.

My main project has been to learn about cycling, bikes etc. I made 2 tote bags yesterday with my next project to do a hanging toiletry bag.

As far as buying things it's just been 3 compression sacks and some paracord.

I got my hair cut. Not much of a prep though. LOL

It is supposed to get HOT starting tomorrow and I have a lot of house work and canning soup I want to do this week. I figured a hair cut will help keep me cool and more willing to 'git r done.' Actually, it's one of the best cuts I've ever had. I'm used to long hair but this is a layered bob just below the bottom of my ears. I hate to can with long hair. For me, it seems the longer it is the more it falls out.

I got my hair cut. Not much of a prep though. LOL

Actually I call this a major prep, because if anything happens you would probably not have time to get it done, and it could get in your way of pack straps or be uncomfortable when working in the home. I often tell my husband that he shouldn't slack on the little things like cutting toenails or cleaning out your ears because you don't know when the next time you might be able to do it. What if it's weeks and you have to walk miles and miles?

I snagged a small Walmart gift card from doing surveys online, so we quickly went and restocked on some protection cleaning items. ;)

Mi_familia...keeping our nails groomed is important, and having a set of grooming tools in your bug out bag is a must. We find some very cheap at $Tree etc. Also, we buy our hiking and walking boots/shoes a half size bigger than we need to make room for our wool socks and still have some toe room. When a person is on their feet for a long time their feet swell (I used to be a speaker so I know!) so having just a little bit more of toe room helps keep the feet a bit healthier. As for ears...keeping swabs in your supplies is indeed important, and adding some garlic gel caps is an added protection bonus.

When I came home from getting the hair cut I hopped in the shower to rewash it so I could play around with it. I was AMAZED by how much less shampoo I'm going to have to use. I used the regular amount (not thinking) and it took forever to get it all rinsed out. Blow drying was fast too.

When I came home from getting the hair cut I hopped in the shower to rewash it so I could play around with it. I was AMAZED by how much less shampoo I'm going to have to use. I used the regular amount (not thinking) and it took forever to get it all rinsed out. Blow drying was fast too.

Don't know how long your hair was, but I've found mine a happy "barely" shoulder length. Yes, longer hair takes more shampoo & longer to dry. During the summer months though mine spends most of it's time wadded up in a claw clip! LOL

Mine was about 6-7 inches past my shoulders. About every 4 years or so I grow it out and donate it to Locks Of Love. I couldn't stand it any more this year though. Right now it really feels good having it cut off. I didn't get bangs so it is parted on the side and flipped sort of back and over with a teeny tiny claw clip holding it back. I have some little barrettes the same color as my hair to use too.

I usually have mine clipped up in the summer too but I couldn't take the shedding that was going on. Loose hair was bad enough. Loose long hair was just too much right now. I'm like an old dog. I shed twice a year. Probably a good thing considering how thick it is.