MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Bought a corona type corn mill. It works well for cracking the grains for livestock, particularly young birds and for the pig who is picky and perfers his grains cracked or ground and cooked, thank you very much! LOL I ill also use it to grind hominy for tortillas. I bought a tortilla press too, for corn tortillas.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CGA, one thing that I had on my hike that I really liked was a water bottle with a long "straw" that came around where I could take a sip of water without getting the bottle out of it's pocket on my backpack. I don't remember what it was called.

We call ours a "water bladder" and they fit inside the backpacks. Be aware though, that water is heavy.

Well, the jar I thot might have garlic, did not. :) None of them got really yogurt texture. A bit more like hot pudding. But taste is fine so it wasn't an entire waste of my time.

MtRider :amen: -- I REALLY hate wasting my time, since energy is rare and precious to me.

Well, the jar I thot might have garlic, did not. :) None of them got really yogurt texture. A bit more like hot pudding. But taste is fine so it wasn't an entire waste of my time.

MtRider :amen: -- I REALLY hate wasting my time, since energy is rare and precious to me.

Strain it through a strainer lined with coffee filter or a clean towel to thicken it up. Keep the whey. It's a valuable liquid!

True, I could do that. Mostly I keep thinking it's yogurt texture and....end up slopping less-than-yogurt-texture down the sides of container ....or me. :rolleyes:

MtRider -- Glad, at least, my Plan B worked, basically. Gotta have our Plan B's....C's...D's....

I dusted off the dehydrator, does that count? LOL, don't come to these boards like I used to because life really got hard, but now that things are doing better I want to delve back into self-sufficiency. Oh, I also signed up for a canning class. I have all the supplies, have had them for a few years :blush: but with so much giong on I couldn't get my brain ready to start canning. I think I'm getting there! It helps that a friend is going to join in. We are going to start with apples, go to an organic apple farm and make applesauce and apple pie filing. Baby steps...

Pulled out a pair of panty hose and got about a dozen or so onions "socked up" and hung where it's dark & cool Sort of paying for it though, standing on my feet in one place :-( removing the outer skins (outside under the carport).

After years and years of looking for land we finally found some about a year ago. We were just getting over my DHs bout with cancer and had our 2 oldest children get married with in weeks of each other so our plates were pretty full. After months and months of planning they are suppose to break ground tomorrow on our new home. I have drawn the plans over and over and over again....and I'm finally happy with it (I think..lol) It's quite a bit smaller than what we have now but has a lot less wasted space and is laid out to better meet our needs.

I have let my supplies dwindle a bit because I dreaded having to move them but made sure we have plenty of storage at the new place :)

After years and years of looking for land we finally found some about a year ago. We were just getting over my DHs bout with cancer and had our 2 oldest children get married with in weeks of each other so our plates were pretty full. After months and months of planning they are suppose to break ground tomorrow on our new home. I have drawn the plans over and over and over again....and I'm finally happy with it (I think..lol) It's quite a bit smaller than what we have now but has a lot less wasted space and is laid out to better meet our needs.

I have let my supplies dwindle a bit because I dreaded having to move them but made sure we have plenty of storage at the new place :)

What a wonderful thing to happen in your life! Congratulations!!!

Pulled out a pair of panty hose and got about a dozen or so onions "socked up" and hung where it's dark & cool Sort of paying for it though, standing on my feet in one place :-( removing the outer skins (outside under the carport).

Take it easy girlfriend!

Panty hose...'socked up' :008Laughing:

Got a yard sale on schedule for Fri, Sat & afternoon on Sunday. Picked about 5 pint bags of cherry tomatoes and will sell them also. Gave some away but when I told the "receivers" they could come pick the next batch...not interested, too busy..."-( So...I'll sell some bags of cherry tomatoes REALLY cheap, cheaper than they can buy them even at Aldi's!

:welcome: back LaBellaVita & blestmomof4.

I wish I could say I have done something to prepare, but, between the garden failure and lack of resources has me tending what we do have.

Our swimming day turned out to be an adventure. I swam a mile. Saw some very large bull carp, trout and juvenile bass, found a pair of sunglasses and it began to sprinkle. We went to our usual place and it continued to sprinkle. Until.... the storm really hit. By the time we hiked out it was raining pretty hard. My day to drive, but the washes and valleys were flowing with brown water. Most folks were turning around, but a few of us "stupid motorist" in big trucks continued on our way. DH said my fingerprints are embedded in the steering wheel. Usually, I do not venture out when it rains like that, but we needed to get home. I learned how to navigate through a flooded wash without floating away in it. Good thing, I do not think I would have wanted to pay the "Stupid Motorist Law" fine our state has. I hear it is pretty expensive. We checked the rain gauge report when we got home and it said 3 inches of rain in one hour! That is more rain then we get in one year around here.

Glad you and dh are safe, Annarchy! We've been having DumpAllAtOnce rain too lately. Had our own personal flash flood about a week ago. Oh MY! In near to 20 yrs, I've never seen THAT happen on this land. Between wildfire, avalanche, mudslides, falling rock/boulders, flash floods, blizzards,....sheesh, CO is getting to be a dangerous place. We've had an INCH fall in a half hour....when we normally measure in TENTHS of an inch.

Dodging between rainstorms when we travel through flash flood potential areas ..... :sigh: Yeah, BTDT. I completely understand the high risk, Annarchy. Seems so weird tho, doesn't it? After being in drought for all these years??? :scratchhead: I've not ever seen the monsoon season last like this year... We're usually dry long before now. We get dry and then the rains start again. Odd. Welcome the rain cuz while flash flood and cutting the driveway into deep gullies is bad too, I just don't think anything is as bad as wildfire. :o

MtRider -- Doing research on aquaponics....someday.....

thank you so much ladies! You made me feel welcomed, I appreciate that! :) Blestmom, your husband's issue hit here too, so that was part (OK most) of why things were hard here. Everything is so much better, I'm very grateful. Did purchase some candles for a good price yesterday. At Kroger in the clearance section they had $10 boxes of candles (72 count) for $2.50. The candles are probably around 3" or4" tall. We bought the 3 boxes they had. They also had $2 backpacks. They were made of netting, I've never seen that before, you could totally see through them and I'm not sure what they are good for, but I kept thinking about how wet clothes could dry much easier in them because of the netting, so we bought the two of those they had. We'll figure out what to put in them. Its a start! We are gearing up for a yard sale at the end of the month so I'll have to start really going through things. We want to clear out some stuff and hopefully make some money in the process. Our hope is to move many states away next yr into a more rural area.

Edited by LaBellaVita

I'm glad you're safe, Ann!

While DH was at work, I had to deal with an unexpected power outage. With near 90 degree temps and a 70+ degree dew point, it sure wasn't when I wanted the a/c and fans to quit! Or have to haul stored water from the basement to flush the toilet. Power was back on in a few hours (Praise the Lord!). I was in a panic for awhile trying to figure out which valve I was supposed to shut to keep the well pump from needing primed again. DH was on a job site where he couldn't hear his cell phone, so no help there. When DH gets home, I'm having him tie string or yarn or something around the pipe next to the valve so I'll always know which one.

I'm glad you're safe, Ann!

While DH was at work, I had to deal with an unexpected power outage. With near 90 degree temps and a 70+ degree dew point, it sure wasn't when I wanted the a/c and fans to quit! Or have to haul stored water from the basement to flush the toilet. Power was back on in a few hours (Praise the Lord!). I was in a panic for awhile trying to figure out which valve I was supposed to shut to keep the well pump from needing primed again. DH was on a job site where he couldn't hear his cell phone, so no help there. When DH gets home, I'm having him tie string or yarn or something around the pipe next to the valve so I'll always know which one.

That's called wisdom! You may have to "feel" for it if it were dark.