MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Yes Twilight, burning wood safely and efficiently is important. Alot of people don't realize that wood produces a much hotter, radiant type of heat and they overload their stoves. I'm glad you've got a wood stove as a backup, now to stock it's fuel. At Little House we're nestled in an area of lots of timber that we could access in total shut down, but we don't have anything that would burn it "inside" the house. We've discussed it, but without additional remodeling, there's just not room for a safe & simple install of a wood stove or a fireplace. That's why we've added the solar windows concept to our kitchen & livingroom's southern exposure. We have an efficient, ventless stove on a rack that we can do a "emergency" connect to bypass the furnace (which requires electricity to run the motor etc.) but that's IF there's still natural gas flowing. Otherwise, we'll be using our Buddy Heater and it's propane tanks and shutting off the 2 bedrooms. The house's floor plan is one that we could keep the livingroom, kitchen & bath above freezing with a little bit of heat. We've discussed an alternative of turning the southern exposure livingroom window into a "stack" where we could put a wood stove, but that's just a "discussion" because we'd have to give up our solar heat source. The only other window in the LR is a picture window and that needs to stay as a source of light...especially if you have no electricity. Then at night, we'd have to do what's probably normal...go to bed! LOL

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Philbe, how do you like the Buddy Heater? I've been considering getting the larger one, but need to look into it more.

We're absolutely sold on them! Mountain Man used it first to keep a "warm up room" when he was cleaning out vacant houses, and when we've lost power here, we've used it here. No fumes that we were aware of. It kept my kitchen, bath & livingroom (I hung blanket over doors to other parts of house) about 50 or so, when our power went out for a few hours last winter. We keep plenty of the cannisters, and buy them every time we catch them on sale.

Buddy Heater: That is my backup to the backup for surviving the cold during an electric outage. Bought it several years ago and mounted it on the wall [with required clearances on all sides]. Near a window we might crack for 02 recovery [tho the cabin has plenty ventilation naturally]. Never had to use it yet. Might be a life-saver if we couldn't get out during a blizzard.

We're so cold today tho as yet, we're right on zero at 5:30pm. But for the first time since this siege began, we have wind. :o

Careful, y'all. What we have always goes east......

MtRider :frozen:

:hapydancsmil:

One of our neighbors had someone cutting the dead wood off their huge mesquite tree. DH asked if we could have the wood. We got a whole truck load of wood! And, did not have to travel far, just across the street.

Mesquite is my favorite wood to cook with and now we have enough for at least 6 months. I had actually suggested to DH the other day, that it was time for us to go out and get some. God is so merciful and gracious!

:cele:

We had a dead spot over a doorway that was open to the attic. We want to blow-in insulation so DH boxed in the dead spot with a ceiling and floor, insulated it, ran electric to it, and now we have a secure area we can add anything to. :woohoo:

• 3 weeks later...

Just "finished" clearing the mesquite thicket off half of my 3 acre paddock. The stumps will sprout again in the spring though so I'll have to cut the sprouts off a few times before the roots die. That stuff is hard to kill, but at least my animals can now graze that half of the paddock. Still have to burn a bunch of huge slash piles.

Got the taxes paid on the properties. Got the rest of the new ceramic tile ordered for the bathroom in Little House (didn't have enough to finish), and once the tiling is finished we'll hook up vanity & hang new cabinetry that's in storage...and the bathroom will be done!

Bagged up four mylar bags full of garden seeds, and sealed 'em up. They'll be going into a long-term gasket sealed bucket. We'll buy new cross pollinated seeds this spring. No more cherry tomatoes though! They nearly worked our yahyah's off and they're really only good for salads. Too many seeds and not enough tomato flesh for much else We'll stick with the standard sized ones. Been saving up all my paper egg cartons and will use them to start new plants this spring. We've always purchased the plants but I want to try starting my own this next year. Even if we don't get the garden system transferred to Little House, I'll still want some tomato plants to put out there.

Using our back bedroom for a storage room/pantry so I got in there yesterday and straightened it up. Got the closet straightened up some so I got t-paper and paper towels stacked in there. I'm going to do inventory and go this week to restock low places. Got DH a chain saw for Christmas.

I'm getting all of my stash of cleaning supplies organized. There are a lot of them thanks to Sams Club and a gift card.

The last couple of days I got 40 pounds of macaroni put up in 1 pound Food Saver packages and put in buckets.

I also ordered more buckets. No one gives them away around here. I got the 4 gallon square ones with the flip top lid. A little more expensive but I like the smaller size and the square shape. Since I have to buy them anyway...might as well get the ones I like.

I'm getting all of my stash of cleaning supplies organized. There are a lot of them thanks to Sams Club and a gift card.

The last couple of days I got 40 pounds of macaroni put up in 1 pound Food Saver packages and put in buckets.

I also ordered more buckets. No one gives them away around here. I got the 4 gallon square ones with the flip top lid. A little more expensive but I like the smaller size and the square shape. Since I have to buy them anyway...might as well get the ones I like.

Too bad you don't live near here...I bought 40 of the four gallon buckets this week, for 50 cents each. The Mennonite Jam House buys fruit for their jams in them, then turn around and sell the containers for 50 cents each. We are using these for collecting our maple sap and they stack nicely, next to and on top of each other. These have separate lids, but they go on well and come off well with a bucket opener.

Too bad you don't live near here...I bought 40 of the four gallon buckets this week, for 50 cents each. The Mennonite Jam House buys fruit for their jams in them, then turn around and sell the containers for 50 cents each. We are using these for collecting our maple sap and they stack nicely, next to and on top of each other. These have separate lids, but they go on well and come off well with a bucket opener.

That would be great! Unfortunately, I don't have anything like that here. What I do have available around here is expensive. It's often cheaper to order stuff on line. Especially if I don't have to pay the tax and can get free shipping.

I like the two gallon buckets because they fit exactly under my kitchen dresser. I got 3 more at home depot when I ordered new door locksets because I needed them and because I needed to get the order to the minimum for free shipping.

I re-ordered some of the square 2 gallon buckets. I like them too. Like you, I can store them in tight places and I don't have to open a bigger bucket for rice and pasta etc. When I empty one, I fill it from the bigger bucket. That's easier to do when you are only feeding one though.

1) Gift Card to grocery store for Christmas. :hapydancsmil: I'm making my stock-up list ....and checking it twice. Last stock-up was Oct. Since then, DH only picks up one to three items a week. Gettin' low on things that don't require a lot of work....like: I CAN make my own noodles..... :0327: but while it's good for the current finances, the current energy levels are not cooperating. Hmph! :yar:

2) I run emergency scenarios thru my mind when I'm too fatigued to do anything else. Like: XYZ catastrophe happens. What tools/supplies do you have to work with? What do you know about this situation/danger/crisis? Lets me find holes before they MATTER. :puzzledsmile:

3 ) I'm working on a form of that and will likely post some exercises here in January when everyone gets back to their normal routines.

4) Jest survivin' winter

MtRider :frozen:

Edited by Mt_Rider
goofed smilie

Jeepers, may I ask where you got them from? For me, smaller is better, and I try to get square as opposed to round containers....I know round holds more, but the square takes up less space.

Jeepers, may I ask where you got them from? For me, smaller is better, and I try to get square as opposed to round containers....I know round holds more, but the square takes up less space.

Oops, I'm not on as often due to computer problems so I didn't see this sooner. I'll have to tell you where I ordered them from at a later time. The info is in my other computer that is in the hospital right now. I have it bookmarked there. It's a buying group something like 'five star'? I do remember they are sort of expensive, SLOW to ship and you have to pay through Amazon. But you don't order through Amazon...you just pay through them. It's sort of confusing but it is the only place I know to order the 4 gal. and 2 gal square buckets with a flip top lid. Be sure to remind me if I forget to check this link again! The computer should be back later next week. Or if I get the order sooner, I'll post the info from the packing slip.