MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, the wonders of the internet!! http://fivestarpreparedness.com/?section=containers#containers I suspect is the one you use. When I did the search (searched for the container description, not the company name) some other results popped up. I might do some nosing around..... :ph34r:

Yes, that's it! Great job finding it. I thought I remembered 'five star' but couldn't think of the rest of it.

The computer I'm using now can barely do a search because it is so slow it 'times out' on me. LOL.

I love the containers...but not so much the company.

Using our back bedroom for a storage room/pantry so I got in there yesterday and straightened it up. Got the closet straightened up some so I got t-paper and paper towels stacked in there. I'm going to do inventory and go this week to restock low places. Got DH a chain saw for Christmas.

Exactly what we did at Little House...made sense to us because we're empty nesters and have a roll-a-way bed or our RV for visitors that might need a bed.

Visited a local thrift shop and came out with arm fulls of heavy duty sweat shirts for both of us (we turn down the thermo and wear the sweat shirts) and a very nice Keurig coffee grinder ($6!). I've been wanting a coffee grinder so it was on our "finders" list :-) Sweat shirts (probably about $100 worth) we got for $20.

Good score! I :wub: thrift stores....tho our local one raised prices so badly that new at Walmart is the same price. However, sometimes the quality you find at the thrift store can beat Walmart so that's the deciding factor.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Ah, the wonders of the internet!! http://fivestarpreparedness.com/?section=containers#containers I suspect is the one you use. When I did the search (searched for the container description, not the company name) some other results popped up. I might do some nosing around..... :ph34r:

Yes, that's it! Great job finding it. I thought I remembered 'five star' but couldn't think of the rest of it.

The computer I'm using now can barely do a search because it is so slow it 'times out' on me. LOL.

I love the containers...but not so much the company.

I just got an email saying they finally shipped my buckets but shipped the 2 gal. ones to a different person. Good thing I didn't need them right away. As I said up there ^ I love the containers...but not so much the company.

Hi Jeepers,

This may be a little late, but try calling your Sam's Club's bakery department. Ask them if they have any square buckets with lids. Sometimes it takes them a couple of days for the square ones. They should be free. I got some not too long ago. Hopefully they'll have them in you area.

YYY

I stopped by the local charity shop to find myself some light wool sweaters. I found one but also found quart canning jars at .25 each and some candles for .50 each.

:campfire: I've been keeping the heat down and supplementing with candles in the evening. I don't care much for candles, coming from a fireman's family, but large candles for .50 can't be beat. :nail:

Visited a local thrift shop and came out with arm fulls of heavy duty sweat shirts for both of us (we turn down the thermo and wear the sweat shirts) and a very nice Keurig coffee grinder ($6!). I've been wanting a coffee grinder so it was on our "finders" list :-) Sweat shirts (probably about $100 worth) we got for $20.

oops...the coffee grinder is a Quisenart...my bad :-)

Jeepers,

I should have also said to be sure to call first. Sometimes at Sam's Club, I can only get them if I call first.

YYY

Thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind.

I still haven't received my buckets that I ordered Christmas Day. First they were in stock, then they were waiting for an order, then part of my order was sent to a different person. Funny how at first they said they had them in stock...but they were waiting for an order to come in. Then they said not to worry about the 2 gal. buckets not arriving with the four gal. buckets because they were accidentally shipped to the wrong person...but I still haven't received the 4 gal. buckets. And the last time I got buckets from them the entire shipment (same as this one) was shipped in one box. I know stuff happens but be honest about it. I hate being lied to and I have a feeling that is what is happening here. Today will be 19 days from Utah to Ohio.

Mother sent me home with a 5# bag of carrots that were heading south...so, I'm waiting for my small pressure cooker to cool 'cause I peeled them, sliced them, and have now cooked them. When it's safe to take off the weight (it's a 15# and you can't change it) I'll just vacuum seal them in two people sizes and put them in the deep freeze. Also, went to big box and found the small boxes of frozen veggies (really nice blends) from Birds Eye Green Giant for $1 a box. Stocked up on about a dozen or so. Also skinned, cooked, vacuum sealed & froze about 15# of sweet potatoes that she sent last week. Tonight...boneless chicken breast, sweet potatoes and teriyaki veggies.

Edited by Philbe

Big R (a new box store around here) had the empty, seed-starting trays on sale for $1 each. I bought extra trays to hold all my peat pots, etc in so the table doesn't get wet from watering. They only last so many years before splitting. I carry my transplants all over the gardens during planting time in these trays and really enjoy their versatility. :hapydancsmil:

The buckets arrived and the computer is ready for pick-up. Life is good at the Jeepers Estate again! :hapydancsmil:

Except I dropped the remote and now I can't get any signals on the TV. Back to the drawing board for me. :banghead:

Ya may have given the batteries a good jolt...check 'em! LOL

The buckets arrived and the computer is ready for pick-up. Life is good at the Jeepers Estate again! :hapydancsmil:

Except I dropped the remote and now I can't get any signals on the TV. Back to the drawing board for me. :banghead:

Ya may have given the batteries a good jolt...check 'em! LOL

When it started falling, I grabbed it and pushed a lot of buttons. Then I pushed a lot more trying to get it to work. Son said I should have let it drop on the carpet. Yep, but I grabbed it on instinct. Good thing I don't watch much TV. If I can't get it figured out this week, I'll have to call India for assistance. Not been a good start for my tech world this year. Computer, TV, buckets...and it's just the middle of January. Speaking of buckets, I only got the 4 gal. and not the 2 gal.

Edited to add:

I do take the batteries out when they are getting weak and give them a good rub on my jeans or chair arm and they are usually good for another month or so.

Edited by Jeepers
  • 2 weeks later...

FINALLY inventoried veggie/flower/herb seeds and added to a spreadsheet. Haven't done it in several years. I use the sheet for ordering new seeds and early indoor planting of seeds. Now I need to find my seed catalogs that I carefully filed away. :grinning-smiley-044:

Edited by Homesteader

Lots of stuff...the list would go on and on. This past month seems to have been the time for lots of bargains, so we went ahead and bought items we knew we'd need in a crisis. I told Mountain Man...every time we watch a "prepper" event etc., we seem to go out and spend more...:-(

"What have you done this week to prepare?" We've been using our preps. Finding out how long our food stores last. LOL 4 year old beans take 2 hours in the pressure cooker. 2 year old beans take an hour to cook in the pressure cooker. Fresh beans only need 1/2 an hour. :happy0203:

We will also be finding out how long garden seeds last.... I am hoping to plant our garden in the next few days.

I was pleasantly surprised to find the 2 year old carrots in the garden were over an inch in diameter and 6 inches long! God is great! :hapydancsmil: I was expecting finger sized. I'm leaving them in the ground so they last longer then in the refrigerator.

Crazy life.