MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Hit a Kmart closing while I was in GA- 16 person tent with all sorts of neat amenities, 6 cans propane, 4pk waterproof matches, 5 pkgs of snells, mini tackle box (plus one of those oversized cup & saucer planters for my Mum). $101.33, WOOT! I was so stinkin' excited! The tent alone was worth WELL over what I paid for everything!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hit a Kmart closing while I was in GA- 16 person tent with all sorts of neat amenities, 6 cans propane, 4pk waterproof matches, 5 pkgs of snells, mini tackle box (plus one of those oversized cup & saucer planters for my Mum). $101.33, WOOT! I was so stinkin' excited! The tent alone was worth WELL over what I paid for everything!

Yippee...in the right place, at the right time, with the right money!

Nice to catch up with happenings and learn a few things. I am struggling with cupboards too being only five foot tall. I am happy to report that my hiking boots are blister free. Have been working onknitting skills and a few supplies for projects like sweaters and shawls.

Miss Macy is well and continues her own pursuits. Saving money and clutter work and trying not to get into cabin fever mode despite manyday s bitter cold

my kindle typos are messed up. Lol. Decipher at your own will.

I need to make myself come here every few days, that will go a long way in helping me prepare. Keep me encouraged and on track. :happy0203:

Well, lately its been more of an organizing kind of prep, but important nonetheless. Our master bedroom became the dumping ground for boxes and misc items and the storage room off of our master bedroom became junky too (basically that wasted slanted space above the garage but not really worth including in the master bedroom was made into a storage room). I never had the energy to take care of things, so they were piling up, ended up with a big diagnosis (that explained quite a lot) and was ill for a year so that was part of the problem, but I'm better now so I'm taking care of it and it feels GOOD! Washing things and putting them up nicely. So far 14 boxes packed, 2 bags donated, 1 was thrown away, and am working on filling another donation bag and another trash bag. Still have some things to go but I’m more down to the papers, homeschool papers (don’t really need to save connect-the-dots from when my children were 4 yrs old) and bins of clothes.

It feels good to get rid of the visual clutter, and I am hopeful we will be able to move later this year so the house needs to be decluttered and organized before we can list it to sell. So on one hand this isn't a "I put away 12 qts of green beans" but its huge in another way.

Oh, almost forgot! Have also been selling things we no longer need, and have also been swapping books we no longer need on PaperBackSwap. So far I've sold over 50 books and swapped probably close to 50 in the last few months. Slimming down the possessions, getting money for them as I'm able. We had friends who moved out state very suddenly so they were just giving a ton of stuff away, they didn't have the time to make any money off of it, I'm donating some but am making money where I can. I have the time to do that, so I will.

Edited by LaBellaVita

Sidenote: not really for me, but for others.... a friend of mine gave an intro to emergency preparedness class at her home and I assisted her. After the horrific traffic issues down here when the ice storm hit a couple of weeks ago her timing (pre-planned by weeks) was impeccable. We put the word out, have a winter car kit, extra water, food, BOB, etc. Now will anyone do it? We know the odds, but at least it was brought to their attention. Our mission was accomplished.

I need to make myself come here every few days, that will go a long way in helping me prepare. Keep me encouraged and on track. :happy0203:

Well, lately its been more of an organizing kind of prep, but important nonetheless.

I use MrsS as inspiration, too!

I also need to organize my pantries & freezers. Been meaning to do this for WEEKS. We're expecting snow (HA!), so maybe I'll do it today, since the only thing I have to do outside of the house is take oldest DS to work. I'll let you know if I get this done. If you don't hear from me, tongue lash me :)

Sidenote: not really for me, but for others.... a friend of mine gave an intro to emergency preparedness class at her home and I assisted her. After the horrific traffic issues down here when the ice storm hit a couple of weeks ago her timing (pre-planned by weeks) was impeccable. We put the word out, have a winter car kit, extra water, food, BOB, etc. Now will anyone do it? We know the odds, but at least it was brought to their attention. Our mission was accomplished.

This is so great! Leading by example is the way to go!

LOL, maybe we can keep each other on track! I've gone through a few closets already, saved the worst for last. Boy will I feel good when this is done! It's looking so much better already which is encouraging. I want to paint this Spring, gotta get this house ready to put on the market, want some acreage...

Well, lately its been more of an organizing kind of prep, but important nonetheless.

I use MrsS as inspiration, too!

I also need to organize my pantries & freezers. Been meaning to do this for WEEKS. We're expecting snow (HA!), so maybe I'll do it today, since the only thing I have to do outside of the house is take oldest DS to work. I'll let you know if I get this done. If you don't hear from me, tongue lash me :)

thank you! We thought it was a great thing to do too. Some of the people attending were from the Philippines, so she also brought in the recent typhoon there as a reminder for us all to prepare. Hopefully some walked away feeling empowered to take care of their familly.

This is so great! Leading by example is the way to go!

Recently received an email from a major web site talking about putting back just a little bit for your immediate neighbors, and if the power goes out, be the first at their door handing them some cheapy candles (the tall, long burning ones at $Tree is what we stock) showing that you care. This past summer, our back neighbors here had lightening strke their house meter & they were out of electricity. They had a small boy, and we walked across the alley with a puck light, a package of batteries and 3 of these candles. Probably about $10 worth of stuff. Now when we leave to go camping etc., they're more than willing to watch the house and call 911 if anything looks amiss. They're also the ones that called 911 when the "gang of eight" tried to invade our property & take Mountain Man down. They're also the ones that told the police "the elderly man and his wife both have shotguns and they will use them! And yes, when the gang of 8 saw me pitch a shotgun to Mountain Man and he "racked" it...they were hauling arses...Police came REAL quick! and still managed to catch the 2 mouthiest ones who were drugged up, didn't have sense to shut up or leave. LOL Then, if it looks like it's long term, some food buckets. We've always felt like we should "do something" like that...especially when we get moved in a month or two, because our new community there is 1/10th of what it is here. The website suggested your first 6 immediate neighbors...they'll be your first allies in an emergency if you share a bit & let them know you care. We've got "socks" of rice that we've stored for long term so I'm going to go to $Tree and buy some more anklet socks and start putting more rice, oatmeal & instand milk aside for just that purpose. We're also going to plant our garden in our front yard there, to let all the neighbors (we'll live on a dead end street so only about 8 houses) know we're able to grow food, and help them get theirs started. The story from the web site tells of a grandmother who learned of a young man getting ready to break into a house. She invited him for dinner & told him he could come for a free meal anytime. The house was never broken in to. Moral...according to them...a full stomach won't steal yours...and will protect yours. Maybe we're being naive, but that's a chance and choice we're going to make. We'll also be willing to teach them how to filter & distill their water...which they'll be able to get from our creek that runs across the back of the parcel we're planning to purchase across the road from Little House....IF A CRISIS ARISES.

Edited by Philbe

LOL, maybe we can keep each other on track! I've gone through a few closets already, saved the worst for last. Boy will I feel good when this is done! It's looking so much better already which is encouraging. I want to paint this Spring, gotta get this house ready to put on the market, want some acreage...

I went through one big pantry closet so far. The boys helped. Inventoried most of it & put 2 boxes in- "Use Very Soon!" & "Use Soon!" LOL.

Next will be the other closet & the under the stairs pantry (I keep only well sealed items downstairs- jars, bottles, cans- because the humidity can get ATROCIOUS down there). Then onto the freezers. I have until Friday (my own deadline).

Recently received an email from a major web site talking about putting back just a little bit for your immediate neighbors, and if the power goes out, be the first at their door handing them some cheapy candles (the tall, long burning ones at $Tree is what we stock) showing that you care. This past summer, our back neighbors here had lightening strke their house meter & they were out of electricity. They had a small boy, and we walked across the alley with a puck light, a package of batteries and 3 of these candles. Probably about $10 worth of stuff. Now when we leave to go camping etc., they're more than willing to watch the house and call 911 if anything looks amiss. They're also the ones that called 911 when the "gang of eight" tried to invade our property & take Mountain Man down. They're also the ones that told the police "the elderly man and his wife both have shotguns and they will use them! And yes, when the gang of 8 saw me pitch a shotgun to Mountain Man and he "racked" it...they were hauling arses...Police came REAL quick! and still managed to catch the 2 mouthiest ones who were drugged up, didn't have sense to shut up or leave. LOL Then, if it looks like it's long term, some food buckets. We've always felt like we should "do something" like that...especially when we get moved in a month or two, because our new community there is 1/10th of what it is here. The website suggested your first 6 immediate neighbors...they'll be your first allies in an emergency if you share a bit & let them know you care. We've got "socks" of rice that we've stored for long term so I'm going to go to $Tree and buy some more anklet socks and start putting more rice, oatmeal & instand milk aside for just that purpose. We're also going to plant our garden in our front yard there, to let all the neighbors (we'll live on a dead end street so only about 8 houses) know we're able to grow food, and help them get theirs started. The story from the web site tells of a grandmother who learned of a young man getting ready to break into a house. She invited him for dinner & told him he could come for a free meal anytime. The house was never broken in to. Moral...according to them...a full stomach won't steal yours...and will protect yours. Maybe we're being naive, but that's a chance and choice we're going to make. We'll also be willing to teach them how to filter & distill their water...which they'll be able to get from our creek that runs across the back of the parcel we're planning to purchase across the road from Little House....IF A CRISIS ARISES.

I like this Philbe. We live in a small neighborhood and we know the people around us. And they're good people. The kind that would be more ready to help each other than to hide away from everyone. (because they do help when things happen individually)

I totally agree Philbe. Friendly neighbors are the best neighbors, which is why I made 7 loaves of banana bread this morning and delivered them to all the surrounding neighbors this afternoon! (They don't need to know that I needed that freezer space from the bananas to store the 20lbs of asparagus that I picked up for 99 cents/lb :whistling: )

Ground up about 8 cups of wheat, so I've got a nice fine bunch of wheat flour if I want it. Also chunked up 3 heads of Romain lettuce and vacuum sealed it in my VacuuCraft cannister and it's in the frig...only need to add tomatoes, almonds, and other goodies when I take some out. Also shredded 3 lbs. of carrots and put them in the VacuuCraft canister so it's in the frig ready to use on our salads LOL. I've also got a nice big VacuuCraft canister full of diced bell peppers & onions in the frig. It's so nice to know they'll stay fresh for so long, and they're not frozen when I reach in to get what I want. I even store my shredded cheese in this wonders, and I keep my real butter in a small one that sits on my work table...it took the place of my butter bell beliee it or not!

I bought a small vaporizer that uses a regular water bottle for my sick room. I got it at my local CVS drug store. I also got my Thieves Oil put in a glass bottle with a dropper. I figure I can add a few drops of the oil to the water bottle and use it that way. I did the same thing with Tea Tree Oil. The room is small so it should work well. I did the oil transfer in my bedroom 2 days ago and I still smell it. My nose has sure opened up. I think it's the tea tree oil I'm smelling. Whatever it is it sure has staying power!

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Portable-Ultrasonic-Humidifier?skuId=737138

BBQ'd tonight. We've been using mesquite - free minus labor to fetch it. Not much of a prep, but it works. The price of charcoal is over $12.00 a bag and I can not justify the cost.

I also have to visit the forum to keep motivated! If not I completely forget about prepping and go into a consumption mode. (Where my preps are simply consumed and not replinished). Haven't done a lot this week though...

I bought a small vaporizer that uses a regular water bottle for my sick room. I got it at my local CVS drug store. I also got my Thieves Oil put in a glass bottle with a dropper. I figure I can add a few drops of the oil to the water bottle and use it that way. I did the same thing with Tea Tree Oil. The room is small so it should work well. I did the oil transfer in my bedroom 2 days ago and I still smell it. My nose has sure opened up. I think it's the tea tree oil I'm smelling. Whatever it is it sure has staying power!

http://www.cvs.com/shop/product-detail/CVS-Portable-Ultrasonic-Humidifier?skuId=737138

Never seen one of these before! We have an extremely large one that sits in our livingroom during the winter and does a wonderful job...but the filters are very costly and we have to use a cap full of bacterial agent every time we fill the dual tanks (about twice a day). I'm thinking one of these might be nice on Mountain Man's night table since he's a "mouth breather" (a nice word for a loud snorer!) :-)

Just butchered a problem doe. Not productive and getting meaner and fatter by the day. Last night she knocked my oldest doe down and stomped her and that was her last chance. She won't knock anybody else down!

Once had to do that to a sow pig that turned bad when she farrowed. Don't need to mess with mean & dangerous farm animals of any kind. Good for you!