MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

We made a deal on a 28 ft. 1998 travel trailer. Belongs to my SILs parents and they can't take care of it. The roof leaked around the antenna so we will have to replace a piece of the floor, replace a $12 vent and seal the roof then a good cleaning and minor things. We are getting it for $200. And it is nice other then what I mentioned. It has a queen bed in the bedroom, bathroom, loveseat that folds into a bed, table that folds to a bed, kitchen with frig,microwave, stove the works. We may replace the heat/air since its so old. I want to go to some state parks, but if the SHTF we have something to run with if we had too.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kelly! What a bargain...you've joined the ranks of rv's that serve as bug out vehicles :-) In a few days I have an article that will be on another site, and our pen names are MrWE2 and Wifey. I'll see if I can get it to post here...about 'Boondocking" and the things you CAN do with your RV!

BOONDOCKING.doc

Finished the ceramic tile work on "long wall" in the Little House's bathroom so now it only need to dry and be grouted. Then a small area around the toilet cubicle, hang the medicine cabinet, build the shelves into the walls that MM has made room for, hook up the new vanity and we'll be done with the bathroom! Stopped by $Tree and bought 10 more of the tall votif-type canles to hand out to neighbors if the power goes off at Little House. Also took our camp cots, bedding, pillows, pots, pans, flatware, coffee cups, paper plates, knives, cooking utensils, sterno, alcohol candles, paper towels & tp to Little House to make sure it's a place we can go to if we had to leave here and don't want to hitch up to the travel trailer. Met the new neighbors that bought the house next to us there. Young with a small child, and he's military and in security forces...GOOD neighbor to have! Also another long time neighbor is a semi-retired pastor (can I say Black without offending others?) and he was once a councilman so knows alot about the little town. The 10 or so families we have yet to meet because the houses they moved into have just been totally remodeled and they're new to the "hood"! LOL Little House is on a dead end street and we're on the corner so everybody has to drive by us...so we know who's going in and leaving. Guess you could say we ride shotgun! LOL Brought home some of our canned beef, canned chicken, canned cabbage, canned potatoes and canned tomatoes & onions. Wanted to try them out sice they're six months old. Everything in the pantry looks good but wanted to test them out before I do any more. Last night we had cabbage with polish sausage (sauteed) and tonight we had beef & noodles. Tomorrow we'll try the chicken. So far everything tastes wonderful! Only salt (which we're trying to keep out of our diet) was the 1/4 tsp. I added when I canned.them, nor any preservatives. I'll be using my oil-less fryer to cook whole chickens and pressure cooking our meats (in my small 6 qt. Presto cooker after I sear the meat) before I actually pressure can them. Night before last I pressure cooked a pound of fresh green beans with chunked potatoes then pressure cooked a pound of frozen corn niblets. I'll be watching for sales on veggies & meats to do more canning before it gets warm. We'll be doing alot of "community building" at Little House :-)

Philbe thanks for the article I printed it. I was wondering about lights for under the awning thing the camper has. I haven't had a chance to really figure out where to store things yet as we still need to make the repairs it needs and get it cleaned from setting so long not being used. I'm very excited. I'm hitting the thrift store for dishes and things for in it. My DH doesn't get into prepping but he will go for camping so this is a win/win deal! LOL

Philbe thanks for the article I printed it. I was wondering about lights for under the awning thing the camper has. I haven't had a chance to really figure out where to store things yet as we still need to make the repairs it needs and get it cleaned from setting so long not being used. I'm very excited. I'm hitting the thrift store for dishes and things for in it. My DH doesn't get into prepping but he will go for camping so this is a win/win deal! LOL

Keep all your dishes and etc., as light as possible...both because of your axles, your tongue weight but also it takes less fuel to cook...just suggestions really from our side of the fence :-)

LOL- Yes, that is a BIG job! I have a hand grinder as well, but I've only used it once! :grinning-smiley-044: Too much work and I'm too lazy! :laughkick:

Because an electric mill is pretty far down on my "want" list (you know, stuff I want but can't afford), I've been cheating. I sprout my wheat berries, dehydrate them, and then grind them up in my electric coffee grinder. (reasons to sprout first here: http://www.keeperofthehome.org/2011/04/getting-started-sprouting-wheat-berries.html )

We need before and after pictures of your biceps and triceps. Our Philbe is going to be RIPPED!

(Should the shtf, I'm going to be taking applications for a "bread boy" - you know, a handsome young hunk with bulging muscles who can grind my wheat - sleeveless of course! ;) )

Kelly, nice 'catch' on the travel trailer. You can put lights under the awning by looking for solar christmas lights (I guess nowdays they call them garden lights and use them year round). The solar thing is nice for off grid use; you can save any battery power for other things. Just get a set with an on-off switch for when you don't want to be visible.

You might take a run over to a forum called cheaprvliving. It is for those who live out of their campers, vans, even boats and cars. Many of those folk live a nomadic lifestyle and enjoy every minute of it...and some of the ideas and info they share is amazing, on everything from upkeep & repairs and extremely compact amenities, to 'stealth camping' (staying overnight in a non-campground setting). Many many ideas for ultra cheap campgrounds, too.

Anyway, this week I am practicing with my whole soybeans and whole wheat berries. Made soy nuts; still perfecting what kind of flavoring I care to use on them. Made some excellend whole-wheat kernel salad - will make more now for others to try. Tonight I am soaking more soybeans to make some soy grits (basically finely chopped then re-dried soy beans) since I like to add 2-4 TB of them per cup of rice when I make any rice with a sauce. They haven't got much flavor, but they do add protein, and the sauce hides their presence from 'health-food skeptics' who would not try them otherwise. I also found some brown rice-wild rice mix I had in storage - its time to rotate that, too, so I'm considering a 'multi-grain' dish by adding some white rice, and some whole wheat kernels to it in a pilaf...maybe a few orange lentils for color.

Edited by kappydell

I'd be interesting in your whole wheat salad, Kappy.

Other than reading to learn, I've done nothing to prep. Reading/learning is a prep but nothing compares to actually doing it. Still too much affect from illness.... :gaah:

DH and I are talking about our options for producing food with the 'train wreck' that seems to be coming.... :unsure:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

9 trays of Organic yellow onions in the dehyrator right now! Looks like we still have about 30 pounds to go...so I'm sure this will take about a week to complete. Our garage smells like a giant Onion Ring! LOL!

Don't laugh...but when I first got up this morning I mixed up a bowl of "artesan" bread and stuck it in my convection oven (no heat) covered with cling wrap, to rise while we were gone today (about 7 hours). Got home, folded it out onto a floured surface, rolled it a bit in grapeseed oil, stuck it in my well oiled 7" (?) cast iron skillet and it's back for 2 more hours to rise and ... then bake. I'm called the "bread and soup" lady by our friends, but this is one kind I've never made. I've done Bannock, I've done Soda Bread and lots of other "standard" breads...but wanted to try this one. Lots of families put it out to "do it's thing" so they'd have some sort of bread for the next day.

I love the no knead bread recipes and my family apparently does too, since it disappears almost as fast as I can make it!

Bought 24 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken breast @ $1.99/lb which is the cheapest I've seen it here in a very long time. Also hit some great coupon deals on toothpaste, toothbrushes, soap, applesauce, and shampoo.

Took a "day trip" instead of working at LH, and stopped at a Big Lots. Found a huge bag of T-lights so cheap that I just couldn't pass it up. Can't have enough of those little buggers! Also stopped at Aldi's before we left town and bought a flat of 48 cans of tuna...I'm can't hardly eat the stuff but if we need fish in our diet (which we do) that's a good way to keep some extra on the shelf :-) Also picked up a big Big Brut garbage can/round that had a flat lid. We'll be storing TP in it (without the cardboard centers) and because it has a flat top we'll be able to put another one on top of it.

Don't laugh...but when I first got up this morning I mixed up a bowl of "artesan" bread and stuck it in my convection oven (no heat) covered with cling wrap, to rise while we were gone today (about 7 hours). Got home, folded it out onto a floured surface, rolled it a bit in grapeseed oil, stuck it in my well oiled 7" (?) cast iron skillet and it's back for 2 more hours to rise and ... then bake. I'm called the "bread and soup" lady by our friends, but this is one kind I've never made. I've done Bannock, I've done Soda Bread and lots of other "standard" breads...but wanted to try this one. Lots of families put it out to "do it's thing" so they'd have some sort of bread for the next day.

It turned out magnificenty! I cut an "end" for me and an "end" for Mountain Man...yum, yum, yum! Older generations sure knew how to do things with very little!

Now that we've decided NOT to buy the parcel across from Little House we went on a "day trip" yesterday looking for scrub land areas and are going to go again today. Mountain Man's caught up on his work projects so we'll have next week to resume the work there (unless somebody calls :pray: for some more carpentry that needs to be done. But first...we're going to Golden Corral to buffet our bodies :-( Haven't been there in about a year. It will last us all day so no need to stop for any lunch, and I'll fix something quick for supper. Supposed to snow later tonight, forecasters calling for 1-3 which is about our usual....when we get it.

I finally decided to make more yogurt than my little electric Salton holds. We have a co-worker from Africa staying with us for several months and he inhales anything dairy. :0327:

I started out with a half gallon glass container in a small cooler with warm water. It worked GREAT! Last night I tried TWO half-gallon Ball jars in a larger cooler. It worked GREAT again. Now I've got a gallon of yogurt we have to eat and our friend went to visit other friends for a few days. :grinning-smiley-044: