MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potential buyer??? :pray:

Philbe.....be careful with "Maybe Sinus And Ear" things. That's what my virus started with. Goes down into the jaw and even tooth pain. I hope yours IS weather changing stuff but this virus has been going around this region for 6 wks now. Kick-heiny-FATIGUE goes with it. And it can come back on you...DH relapsed but only for a day. I fed him GARLIC soup and that always cures him of anything.

Let me know if yours continues and I'll tell you what seemed to work for us. But ...hope you're both well soooon!

MtRider ....going out to lunch tomorrow...... 5 weeks at home and I get to go out to lunch! :hapydancsmil:

What's the name of the virus you're talking of? Just curious. I'm feeling alot better today, but the ears still a little "full" (which is how they feel when the sinus' are acting up).

With home waxing, it's also swabbed with vinegar. That inhibits mold growth, along with the lack of air & moisture (you dry the cheese first). This is my understanding for waxing cheese, aside from it being an age old preservation method.

I don't know a thing about waxing cheeses except what I've watched on Bexarprepper etc. It's my understanding though, that it "ages" and becomes stronger in it's taste. We don't care for "sharp" cheeses so I haven't even tried waxing. When I buy store bought, I stick a pinhole in the package, wash it down with lemon juice, and vacuum seal it for the freezer. Perhaps vinegar would be better...before I puncture the package?

CGA - This is WONDERFUL news! :pray:

dogmom - Yay - make your girls pay for themselves!

Mt-Rider - I've been battling something similar for the past few weeks (which is why I've been spending so much time online). I think I'm feeling great in the morning and then I hit a wall and am exhausted. I was feverish last week, this week the fever only hits when I'm overly tired. I've also been getting significantly more hot flashes and heart palpitations. fun stuff. The cool thing (i guess?) is that I've dropped 6 lbs in the last week. Weird virus. But yes, I had the weird aching teeth as well and it wasn't always the same tooth.

Even the docs around here don't have a name for this thing. I think they're just now figuring out that we've all had the same thing. Symptoms started for me with a tooth problem...and then it changed teeth...several times! :scratchhead: Okaaaay - not a tooth problem. So I didn't go to the dentist ...who would think I was crazy. My right ear has always been plugged but it was worse. Lymph glands on same side as ear and the teeth were sore. Jaw on that side became sore...ache. Severe fatigue....worst due to my MS fatigue to begin with.

The tooth thing was so painful...nerve pain...that I had to cover my whole face/jaw with wind-proof scarf when I went out to feed. And covered my affected teeth with my tongue if I had to mouth-breath in the cold air. Otherwise you'd think your ears would fall off...it hurt so bad! Inside without frigid air was much easier. I was glad when that symptom gradually diminished.

Finally DH figured out that I was saying the same thing as two of his patients. Then he came down with it. Feel generally awful but it's all along the one side of sinus/ear/jaw/teeth/neck lymph glands. Maybe small fever but not much. Yes! More hot flashes!!!!! :knary: Also some chills. No nausea....for which I was very grateful.

We headed in the wrong direction for me...thinking dental. Once I started taking [herbal] stuff for virus/bacterial 'bug', that began to help. Also, DH would work the points on the body to keep the lymphatic system draining....not get clogged up. Had to keep doing that. That is the most important! A headache that woke me this morning at 4:30am is still a residue of the thing. I'm over it but still running heavy on sinus junk.

Eating garlic helps DH cure anything that hits him and this was no different. Usually he eats kim chee but not available so we added a lot of garlic to soups and even on the pizza.

His first patient down with this went back to work after 2 wks of feeling like crud. We're all getting over it by now...mostly. DH got it, fought it, and got over it.....and relapsed for a day and got over it again. STILL feeling like he's fighting it but winning so far.

Persistent, relapse-capacity, heavy fatigue, odd pains, clogged sinus/lymphatic system. Only one side for anyone I've heard of. And yes, contagious.

I also put drops of tea tree oil [a drop] with several drops of sweet olive oil to battle the clog in my ear. Kept my swimming ear plug handy to keep it from running out but I'd lay down to rest when I dropped it in there.

Otherwise...eat well and drink fluids. Get lots and lots of rest. The whole usual healthy thing. We haven't gone to M.D. so I don't know what affect western antibiotics would have on this. Dunno. But heard from one M.D. that they were just putting these symptoms together and calling it a virus. :shrug:

This is our experience....not medical advice and does not take into account western medical model...

We are so RARELY sick...despite of DH's constant exposure. But this thing is wicked! Hope y'all don't have it...whatever 'it' actually is.

MtRider .....hopefully I'm done with it!

Edited by Mt_Rider

I don't know a thing about waxing cheeses except what I've watched on Bexarprepper etc. It's my understanding though, that it "ages" and becomes stronger in it's taste. We don't care for "sharp" cheeses so I haven't even tried waxing.

Yes, that too. LOL!

I made some "Meals in a Jar"...which was hard for me since I had to justify breaking into a 30 year seal to trade for a 7 year shelf life. I did it anyway for the convenience factor. ;)

Here's some pics...

Parboiled and Dehydrating Pasta:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/we0yuofhrgv56ar/ParboiledPasta.jpg

Ingredients:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grarwkmnh14gg42/Ingredients.jpg

Layers in pretty Ball Jars:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw4f8ulgh40zrik/Layers1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwr9ww13pvhkcf3/Layers2.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqhvxxq0of3m9r7/Layers3.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ospbt2vipvfzc48/Layers4.jpg

Sample Batch was really good!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kdokbs16viu99v/SampleBatch1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wwhygurf74gmf/SampleBatch2.jpg

I made some pasta/cheese sauce/sausage/beef jars too. No pics of those.

Now I have to replace all those cans I opened!!!

Edited by jeanettecentaur

I made some "Meals in a Jar"...which was hard for me since I had to justify breaking into a 30 year seal to trade for a 7 year shelf life. I did it anyway for the convenience factor. ;)

Here's some pics...

Parboiled and Dehydrating Pasta:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/we0yuofhrgv56ar/ParboiledPasta.jpg

Ingredients:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/grarwkmnh14gg42/Ingredients.jpg

Layers in pretty Ball Jars:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fw4f8ulgh40zrik/Layers1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lwr9ww13pvhkcf3/Layers2.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wqhvxxq0of3m9r7/Layers3.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ospbt2vipvfzc48/Layers4.jpg

Sample Batch was really good!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7kdokbs16viu99v/SampleBatch1.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/20wwhygurf74gmf/SampleBatch2.jpg

I made some pasta/cheese sauce/sausage/beef jars too. No pics of those.

Now I have to replace all those cans I opened!!!

Good job! I've found if I measure it all out in a jar then it's easier to just pour the meal into my ziplock mylar bag (I keep these in our camper). BUT...one thing I've learned, write out the amount of water you need and stick it into the jar too :-)

Yesterday took a day to travel to several "plain people" stores. Wanted some chamomile & whole flax seed. Couldn't find Valerian Root nor KavaKava. Guess I'll have to pay the bigger bucks for those at a health food store or ??? Put on a big sirloin roast with the timmings into my largest crock, and it will be two suppers and one lunch (soup) for us...cost...$11.70 for roast plus last of veggies from last weeks grocery trip. Also made two pints of yogurt. We like it with granola and fruit as a side for our breakfast of eggs & ham. Gonna make up a batch of meatless sausage today.

Haven't posted for a long time finally getting back into the swing of things. Making two batches of homemade bread today, cuban black beans, granola energy bites and cleaning out the pantry to see what needs to be used up. Bought a new Kershaw knife for myself when DH and I went on a very rare date two days ago. I have a really nice one in my purse, but wanted one to put in my jeans pocket. I know not very feminine, but there have been a lot of times that I have wanted one and not had my purse on me. Looking at some new pistols for concealed carry. I would love to go to a shooting class in the future as well as some type of survival type school. Looking into that for next year maybe.

Dh got his leo badge in the mail today finished his three month long school over the winter. It was really hard having him gone. I work ft and commute. But what a payoff since he loves his new job. I guess all in all not a bad week.

Philbe - do you have an Amazon Prime account? If so, you might find your vitamins and herbs cheaper through them. Also, if you live near a large urban area, you might try some Asian markets, a Trader Joe's, or a Whole Foods (although Whole Foods = whole paycheck!). Walmart.com also can be a deal and if you spend $50, shipping is free. I need to try your meatless sausage recipe. Maybe tomorrow . . .

Dogmom - woohoo!

I dehydrated some cabbage yesterday. It looks like 3/4 of a head will fill my 6 tray Nesco. I'm going to re-hydrate some at lunch in some soup to see if we like the texture. If so, I'll be dehydrating all weekend. Still not feeling well, but if I have the energy, I'll probably pick up a few flats of water when I go out to a school event this afternoon. We're getting low (I keep my water rotated by donating to school functions) and I'd like to have a bit more on hand.

Sorry you're still struggling with that weird virus, Andrea.

Finally getting out on Thursday was DELIGHTFUL....and had consequences in fatigue of course. Still worth it and I haven't relapsed. That day I did a HUGE :shopping: haul. Odd thing....it all fit easily. Meaning that usually when I haul that much home, I have to work to find a place to put it all. This time, the shopping was so overdue, ....it all fit. I was starting to get edgy about being low in SO many day-to-day items. Now...meals will be easier! :feedme:

On my resting day after the big :shopping: I ended up doing too much. Snow predicted so I needed to fill horse water tank. Hooking up the hose (400'), the connector to faucet snapped off. Augh! We do keep many extra repair parts for hoses. But DH has always done the repair. No reason I can't but burrowing into the basement stuff to reach the container with parts took three tries. [interruptions: goat "get outta there!"; dog "shut up it's a squirrel!" and goat "GIT OUTTA THERE!" Hmph!] {Note To Self: don't let goats out of pen to nibble pine needles while trying to focus on project.}

Then trying to find the right sized screwdrivers. Augh....too many trips up and down stairs. {Note To Self: get more screwdrivers for point of use placement!!!! } Then I almost couldn't 'break' the tight screw loose. Had to go get my leather glove. {Note To Anyone: Increased friction will reduce amount of hand grip needed!} I was sweating by the time I cut off the inch of hose and tightened the new pieces in place. Just wasn't the best day to have that complication but I finally got the tank filled and we await WEATHER today. Already snowing in some places. Systems are often spotty in the Rockies so mebbe we won't get any?

It did get me thinking: Is there anything ELSE that DH always does that I should know how to do. In this case, the procedure is easy ...the gathering of the tools was half the battle. But ...what other emergency chores/repairs might there be for which I would be clueless? I put on my own snowchains. I do all animal stuff except shots. Probably could do that after the siege with Darlene and the puppies. I rely on him to haul heavy pellet stove fuel bags upstairs but I could carry half the bag at a time in a bucket. What else? I'm going to keep that in mind.

MtRider :pc_coffee: More successful at RESTING today. LOL

Edited by Mt_Rider
fractured sentence

Haven't posted for a long time finally getting back into the swing of things. Making two batches of homemade bread today, cuban black beans, granola energy bites and cleaning out the pantry to see what needs to be used up. Bought a new Kershaw knife for myself when DH and I went on a very rare date two days ago. I have a really nice one in my purse, but wanted one to put in my jeans pocket. I know not very feminine, but there have been a lot of times that I have wanted one and not had my purse on me. Looking at some new pistols for concealed carry. I would love to go to a shooting class in the future as well as some type of survival type school. Looking into that for next year maybe.

Dh got his leo badge in the mail today finished his three month long school over the winter. It was really hard having him gone. I work ft and commute. But what a payoff since he loves his new job. I guess all in all not a bad week.

Not sure of your location, but if one of these is near enough for you I think you and your hubby would enjoy it. Both of us went several years ago, and it's GRUELLING but you sure learn alot, about gun safety and our American heritage...among other things. We met some really great people and just took our camp trailer rather than stay in a motel and drove to site (which was waaaay back in the boonies).

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php

Not sure of your location, but if one of these is near enough for you I think you and your hubby would enjoy it. Both of us went several years ago, and it's GRUELLING but you sure learn alot, about gun safety and our American heritage...among other things. We met some really great people and just took our camp trailer rather than stay in a motel and drove to site (which was waaaay back in the boonies).

http://appleseedinfo.org/search-states-map.php

Interesting! Will have to look into it. DH was going to go to one in the Black Hills last fall put on by Corbon. Paid the registration fee and everything had a friend lined up to go with him and they canceled at the last minute. Quite a bummer for him.

I have a four year old, and ten month old. So was really hard for me to do anything this last winter by myself. I even bought a lot of frozen meals for us to save my sanity. Hoping to get the house organized this year and freezer cook/can as much as I can. My job has really started to change some things including schedule. They did however start to implement some better training for us. This includes hands on protections and a much more rigorous firearms certification. I think at some point in the next ten years they are maybe going to make us sworn in peace officers. Will be an interesting ride. If I would have known what I do now about money budgeting and being more conservative I would have never taken out student loans. Then I could stay home with my little ones. But I didn't think so for now will have to juggle things and hope for the best.

What is the advantage to parboiling and dehydrating pasta? It doesn't really seem to need that much cooking time normally. I bring it to a boil, cover and turn off, then let it sit till the noodles are tender.

I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to parboil my pasta. According to the Dehydrator Bible if we parboil then the pasta will become tender (and cooked) using room temperature water if no fuel is available. It doesn't take long to actually boil pasta, but right NOW fuel is plentiful and I thought I would try it out.

I learned a couple of things about this though. It still took a full 20 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce using 5 cups of water. The parboiled pasta didn't get mushy. It was perfect...so technically I COULD have just used raw pasta. However, if I was in a low fuel situation, my pasta would not be cooked at room temperature. I wanted something I can just toss some water on to rehydrate under extreme circumstances. I believe I will have to cut down the amount of water from the original 5 cups if I'm just using room temp water. I will need to test another batch at room temp to see how much water I want to add.

Philbe, we have mylar zip bags too! I haven't decided what I'm putting in them yet...LOL!

OK, that makes sense if it works.

I have used instant rice with room temp liquid when I was unable to cook. It tastes just about as good as if you used hot water. In other words, not my favorite food.

BTW, a can of stewed tomatoes, instant rice and a small can of black olives makes a reasonable cold dish if you are hungry. Could add some canned tuna or chicken on the side, though I wouldn't mix it in.

What is the advantage to parboiling and dehydrating pasta? It doesn't really seem to need that much cooking time normally. I bring it to a boil, cover and turn off, then let it sit till the noodles are tender.

I was on the fence about whether or not I wanted to parboil my pasta. According to the Dehydrator Bible if we parboil then the pasta will become tender (and cooked) using room temperature water if no fuel is available. It doesn't take long to actually boil pasta, but right NOW fuel is plentiful and I thought I would try it out.

I learned a couple of things about this though. It still took a full 20 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce using 5 cups of water. The parboiled pasta didn't get mushy. It was perfect...so technically I COULD have just used raw pasta. However, if I was in a low fuel situation, my pasta would not be cooked at room temperature. I wanted something I can just toss some water on to rehydrate under extreme circumstances. I believe I will have to cut down the amount of water from the original 5 cups if I'm just using room temp water. I will need to test another batch at room temp to see how much water I want to add.

Philbe, we have mylar zip bags too! I haven't decided what I'm putting in them yet...LOL!

Did you know...that you can put water into your mylar zip bag, lay it on the hood of your vehicle and the sun will cook the food for you? Also, if you have a "water safe" white RV water hose, fill it with water, plug both ends, lay it on your roof and you'll have VERY warm (if not hot) water? The reason you want an RV white water hose is they're made specifically for drinking water. Just sharing...