MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Okay, I need a source for the Mylar zip bags! I'm going backpacking this summer, even if I have to go by myself and homemade boil n bag recipes sound perfect!

I'm sure Amazon lists Mylar zip bags, but we got ours through the Excalibur website while shopping for dehydrator accessories:

http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/dehydration-accessories/mylar-food-bags-8-x-10-reclosable-2-2-mil-268

It was $2.45 for 5 bags.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, I need a source for the Mylar zip bags! I'm going backpacking this summer, even if I have to go by myself and homemade boil n bag recipes sound perfect!

Sorbent Systems (I think that's how you spell it)....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a few water filters, but nothing portable. I ordered the Sawyer mini filter from amazon... it runs about $20.00 and ships free with Prime. Several people on the Survival Pod Cast forum and on the Amazon reviews recommended them. It will be a good "just in case" for travel etc.

Water is an area I need to work on....filled a 5 gallon bucket with water and 1/2 teaspoon bleach. Just need to figure out how to get it to the basement now. LOL

Stopped at a surplus store and bargained down 35 cans of sterno for $12 and 5 P38's for a buck each. Also a bag of cheesecloth for $2.00 and a few other nifty items. Just never know what you'll find when you "take a ride" :-)

Arranged to buy a new homestead in Missouri!

Found owner carry 40 acres about 6 miles from Ellsinore and sending earnest money and he is over nighting a contract!

Plan to move as soon as the eggs hatch! LOL I just set the incubator with goose and duck eggs and have geese setting outside. It will be about 4 weeks.

There is a senior/disabled bus AND there is a grocery/feed/hardware/filling station around the corner that I can reach if I buy a 4wd golf cart! Nobody close enough to bother my animals or be bothered by them. VERY nice seller! I'm about ready to POP!

:) REALLLLLY? You really have a place finally and it ISN'T IN TEXAS? :woohoo:

I just grinned when I read that you set up some eggs in an incubator. Then the next thread I read is this one. Have you figured out HOW to move?

:cele: 40 acres with access to what you need w/o vehicle. :amen:

:grouphug: Happpppy for you!

MtRider :pray: for all the details to smooth out....

Really praying this goes smoothly! My friend who is moving the livestock for me gets thru school sometime in May (she's getting a master's) so I can't go before then. I need someone to drive the moving van and people to load and unload. I'll probably have a rent to own storage building set up and we will dwell in a travel trailer till I can get more permanent housing. Nothing on the land, but the price is right. I'm excited and a bit scared at the same time!

There aren't enough 'smilies' to post how happy I am for you!!!!!!!!!

Aw, what the heck. I love smilies so here are a few I'm thinking about....

:hi::hug3::grouphug::D:happy0203::cele::hapydancsmil::woohoo::bounce::cloud9::cheer::gathering::bouquet::thumbs::amen::bow::balloons::band2::band::bev::cakeslice::pray::runcirclsmiley2: :wink (2): :sheep::kissy:

CGA, we'll almost be neighbors. Never been to Carter County, but maybe I'd like to see it someday. We are just over the Ark line about 3 counties away. We do go to West Plaines occasionally but I believe you'll be east of that. The Ozarks are beautiful but have lots and lots of rocks.

Arranged to buy a new homestead in Missouri!

Found owner carry 40 acres about 6 miles from Ellsinore and sending earnest money and he is over nighting a contract!

Plan to move as soon as the eggs hatch! LOL I just set the incubator with goose and duck eggs and have geese setting outside. It will be about 4 weeks.

There is a senior/disabled bus AND there is a grocery/feed/hardware/filling station around the corner that I can reach if I buy a 4wd golf cart! Nobody close enough to bother my animals or be bothered by them. VERY nice seller! I'm about ready to POP!

:welcome::welcome4: I'm soooo glad for ya! When you get moved, we'l have to make a "day trip" to see you!

...living in trailer..... Dig a root cellar/tornado shelter FIRST! :rolleyes:

Is there a well....electric near the property?

MtRider :bounce:......LOL @ Jeepers!

Edited by Mt_Rider

Electric on two sides close. No well but the area gets 49 inches of rain annually so I figured on doing a rain catch. Funds being rather limited, I'd rather use them to put up a metal roofed barn with gutters and a cistern than a hole in the ground. In the meantime, I'm going to put up a bunch of tarps to direct rain to containers so we can have water right away. Did you know an 8x10 tarp will collect about 5 gallons of water from 1/10 inch of rain?

CGA, Ellsinore isn't in what Missourians would normally call tornado prone (tornado alley?) so don't let others make you jumpy :-) You'll have rich land and lots of water around you which will ease the painful living that some endure for whatever reasons. You'll find Amish-built cabins all over the state, priced from $5000 up, many are "rent to own, no credit check, no down payment", and they'll usually deliver to your homestead. Depending on how much "finishing" you want, they can be ready to move in to. Put yourself in a couple of rain barrels under your metal roof downspouts, sink a cistern and have water hauled to you, and use a composting toilet until you can put in a lagoon or ??? I'm betting you won't work any harder than you are now :-) Again, congratulations! Hope it all works out for you and yours!

Thanks, Philbe. I sure was wishing for a ready made homestead, but gave myself a good talking to. 'I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me!" So, here we go again.

Getting a load of water to a cistern to start would be a good idea while I'm getting set up. Have to look into that.

I'm planning on a 16x40 rent to own. Talked to the man about it this morning. He needs 30 days lee way for that size and I need a dozer to widen the rather narrow trail thru the property and make a pad for the building.

Friend who will be moving the livestock will be available first week in May. Found someone to take daughter's bedroom furniture that I don't want to take with us. Already had my old bed hauled off and got a folding frame for my mattress. Found someone to take a few more geese, all the ducks that are left and however many chickens I don't want to take with me.

We looked at one very similar to this and will probably buy one when we find our "parcel" of land. This similar one, fully ready to live in (electric, sheetrock, kitchen sink/counter etc.) was priced at $16,000 if I remember correctly. The other (with log-type siding) is a smaller, but still very livable I'm sure :-) and could be added on to later?

post-9087-0-08585500-1396562983_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-75700700-1396563036_thumb.jpg

Edited by Philbe

Thanks, Philbe! Where did you see those?

Just showed the place to a couple who showed up unannounced and sans realtor. They said they will be calling my realtor and will start the loan process. They REALLY like the place! Y'all PRAY their loan will go thru! Just real nice folks, the sort you would want for neighbors too.