MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Made a day trip to a favorite Mennonite surplus store and picked up some really good deals on meats & when we left the store, they had tables full of "free" items. We were able to pick up several 32 oz jars of chicken buillion crumbs, 10 boxes of single packets of buillion crumbles and several bottles of red hots (I love them in my apple cider). We were on the motocycle so space was limited but we still made a good haul :-) Then made another day trip on the motorcycle to Osceola Cheese and picked up some cheese bricks (we love summer sausage, cheese & crackers) for quickie lunches on the road. Also de-winterized the travel trailer and sanitized all the tanks and lines. Fresh water tank is fairly full so now it will be re-stocking the pantry etc. so we'll be ready whenever we decide to go camping.

Edited by The WE2's

Went up to MO with dear friend, Twilight, and made arrangements for a driveway to be put in and an area leveled. Bought 2 10x16 buildings to be delivered after the drive is done so we will have someplace to live. Trying to get hold of an 18 wheeler trailer for storage. We are back in TX, packing.

Went up to MO with dear friend, Twilight, and made arrangements for a driveway to be put in and an area leveled. Bought 2 10x16 buildings to be delivered after the drive is done so we will have someplace to live. Trying to get hold of an 18 wheeler trailer for storage. We are back in TX, packing.

Prayer answered! Yippee! I can almost feel you giggling every time you put something in a box! Let us know when you're ready to unpack. And blessings to Twilight!!! MrWE2 told me that if we have some advance notice so we can plan, we'd hitch up and come help you unpack.

18 wheeler trailer......is that the same as a shipping container? Don't think it is but have you thought of the shipping containers? Had one on Maui for a program I was running. Stored a lot of stuff and certainly bear-proof.

So...did that couple that liked your place ever get approved or whatever, CGA?

Did you like the land...see the town???

MtRider :pray: for EVERYthing about the move. :bounce:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I have not been here much lately, but am very glad to hear your wonderful news. I am so very proud for you and your daughter. In God's timing, He works things out better than we ever could. Prayers for smooth and swift packing, traveling mercies again to Missouri, for good hopefully, things going as planned, and His blessings and protection covering ya'll and all your possessions. You have really thought things thru and I know you are anxious to 'git er done' as they say. Since I made a similar move a year and half ago, I admire you for doing this, because it was physically and mentally hard especially being 61 at the time. Praise God it is over, but I still am looking for things. Enjoy your adventure and please share the details of your new home.

Congratulations, CGA! I just now saw your three-week-old news.

CGA, sent you a pm with our phone contacts.

Thank you so much, Philbe! I know I'll need more hands when we get there as some of the packers won't be traveling with us.

Walked over the land, visited the town, nice friendly folks, visited the A/G church and met some lovely people.

Still need to sell this place. I'm getting the land on contract for deed and trying to do the rest on my little bit of savings. It would make a HUGE difference to have this place sold. Thought it was done, but .....

Mt Rider, I checked on shipping containers too. The semi trailer was cheaper and closer. A friend put me in touch with someone to move the trailer.

Thanks, everyone for the well wishes! Appreciate your prayers that my 61y/o body will hold out and I can 'get er done'. I'm trying to sort and toss and pack. Amazing how much stuff is not valuable enough to pay to move it!

I ordered neck tags for all the goats and contacted a local vet about the health certificate. He'll come out just before we leave and inspect the goats.

Trying to get a permit for a culvert for the driveway and that has been a big headache and slow down. Y'all pray!

Edited by CrabGrassAcres

Praying for the culvert...and all the other needs for this move. God lay Your hand upon dd, that she will be inexplicably calm and serene even while her world changes so drastically.

MtRider :pray:

CG...in our city, the building inspector told us "every homeowner has the right to one driveway access for their property". This came after a dispute about putting in a curbing and they ran it straight across the front of our property here "because there was no visable driveway". When we said "so, if we pour gravel for a driveway, then you all have to come back out and put in an apron etc., for access?" Answer: "yes". I would think that with you living in the county, there wouldn't be any restrictions...? Whatsup?

Yahoooooo. For CGA. Will pray for culverts and driveway. Do you need to rent a portapotty technically?

We're trying to improve our horse pasture. Step #1.....me on horseback [for a better view] and DH with sack, combed the pasture for bits of broken glass that has been coming thru frost upheaval. A LOT of old glass this year. Pinkish color and thick. Pieces of an old medicine bottle (?) with oval shape [not round or squared] and found the neck/top too. Not for a screw lid but a cork or fitted glass lid. Interesting but not good for horse or dog. Step#2....reduce overloaded population of pasture rodents. Too many. A LOT of holes that the horses have, so far, avoided while tearing around. :frying pan:

Brought out the last gallon of OLD stored Crisco oil. This was given to me long ago and you can only use so much so fast. Was afraid it might be rancid but our basement storage is quite cool in summer and near freezing in winter. Also dark..unless light is on...no windows. Well the good news is it smells just fine. The bad news is....there was a small leak in the bottom....which I didn't discover fast enough....drizzle alllllll over, including my right slipper.....which spread it further..... :gaah: I did find out the hand soap Darlene makes that I LOVE....takes grease out of sueded cloth slippers and other things. :D Yea Farm Soap!

Hope to review a BOB that I've had sitting a long time. Um...exactly WHAT is in this one? Also, I was given :amen: a bunch of jeans and need to stick one pair [that fits] into a BOB. So...that's the new project for today....or tomorrow...or ..... :shrug:

MtRider ....focus on rotation of goods, filling in prep holes....doing it now; not later. :unsure:

The property fronts on a state highway so the state highway dept has regs about culverts. Otherwise there are no restrictions on building or anything. Don't need a building permit. Have more than 4 acres so no septic permit required (class three county). We will use sawdust buckets temporarily. I may do a permanent compost toilet when I have a more permanent dwelling instead of the 2 little cabins. I guess eventually I'll have a small house. Need a good barn first, of course and tight fencing and a pond. You know, the important stuff, THEN I can see about lesser things, like a home bigger than 2 10x16 cabins. LOL

CGA - So glad to hear the move is going well. I will continue to pray for buyer for your place in Texas.

MrWE2 put new heavy duty shocks all around on the truck and while he did that, I gave our RV a good scrubbing down (while it was drizzling) and then swept & mopped the inside floor where we have tracked in this past winter, as well as Abby staying inside it while we were working in garage etc. Ready to go this coming weekend, Holton Kansas is having a prepper expo and we are anxious to visit with our RV friend who just came off the road & got herself an apartment. We've talked via phone nearly every week but haven't actually "seen" her for nearly 2 years!

Rehomed a batch of ducks, found someone to take one of the pyrs that would be problematic to move, sold 2 of the does that have horns and might be a problem during a long move confined to the trailer with the other does. Also sold the cistern tank and some fencing that I can't take with me. Got rid of DD's bed that doesn't suit her and is too tall for her short legs. She is happy with two mattresses stacked on the floor for now. Exactly right height for her. I'll get her a new bed frame when we move. Made arrangements for someone to haul off all the stuff I don't want to take with us that cannot be burned or given or sold. Did a good bit of sorting, tossing and packing too.

Rehomed a batch of ducks, found someone to take one of the pyrs that would be problematic to move, sold 2 of the does that have horns and might be a problem during a long move confined to the trailer with the other does. Also sold the cistern tank and some fencing that I can't take with me. Got rid of DD's bed that doesn't suit her and is too tall for her short legs. She is happy with two mattresses stacked on the floor for now. Exactly right height for her. I'll get her a new bed frame when we move. Made arrangements for someone to haul off all the stuff I don't want to take with us that cannot be burned or given or sold. Did a good bit of sorting, tossing and packing too.

Thinning out is good :-) but it's sure hard. When we got married I had been married 42 years when he passed and MrWE2 had been a batchelor for over 20...both of us had accumulated tons of "stuff". When we gutted the Roost for remodeling, we had to pitch and sort everything there (it was his home). Then someone broke in and dumped everything out, so...we had to sort again :-( It was a backbreaking job (and a bit tortuous for him). Lots of the stuff he had inherited from his mother and then again from his dad, so he had both bedrooms crammed full...I think he was in a simi-state of depression and couldn't bring himself to sort through the stuff :-( I had to be very patient with him). When my 1st husband passed, I sorted and pitched within 2 weeks because I knew if I didn't, I'd try to cling. Glad I got it done first off :-)

It is hard to toss stuff, alright, but I'm trying to be ruthless. I have a few treasures I cannot part with, like Grandpa's wardrobe.

:P ....ah, you mean an item of furniture, right? Not the clothing?

We about blew off the map today. After having warmer than normal temps for a while, it's a bit of an adjustment to have chilly WINDY day. Tiny bit of snow. Tail vane blew off our mini windmill. Whooo....rattles the nuts/bolts right outta that thing.

MtRider ....anyone in the path of this dangerous weather front today...or tomorrow? Stay safe. :grouphug:

There was some "duckin and shufflin" in this state today :-) Thunderstorms though, lots of rain and thunder. We drove almost straight into it when we headed for The Roost...sirens blowing because the actual tornadic activity in our area was north. MrWE2 backed the van up to the enclosed back porch, unlocked the door and in all of us went! He stood at porch door (Abby and I went straight inside!) until the wind threaned to push the door open so he turned the deadbolt and came on inside. What's with these guys anyway who want to "look"? :-(

Saw news where there were touch downs in Arkansas...lots of damage & death toll.

Edited by The WE2's

We are having our home re-sided. The house is a long ranch style (we would call it a bungalow) that sits high up out of the ground. Some people would jokingly refer to it as the big white bingo hall! It is now a cypress green , and looks more like a house than a hall. The colour seems to diminish the size of the building and greatly improves the curb appeal. I like too that the house blends in with nature so much you don't even realize it is here until you are very near. It is like we are less of a target when we blend in with the trees along the road.

Our home does have a pleasing presence now,

more welcoming to our guests, while not sending out an invitation to the populous driving by.

I felt we should get railings for the decks but dh wanted stone work on the front of the house. Safety is not something I like to compromise on. We have been living without those railings for too long and that may bite us one day. Of course dh isn't the one that has fallen off the deck YET!

We had big snow last night with more (and rain) to follow so things will be beautiful and fresh after it dries again.

Siding is good. We have steel siding here, steel siding on the homestead house and vinyl siding on The Roost.

Two does, two ducks and a dog are en route to new homes. Naturally they made it as difficult as possible to get them loaded. I'm exhausted.