MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Selling the house would be good :-) We're trying to keep our calendar ready for the six hour drive to your new "home" to help you unload etc. Let us know when they're ready to run the juice etc., so MrWE2 can load the tools he'll need to sink your pole etc. If they'll let you put in an RV hookup post I see digging in our future :-) because they have to be run underground. Might be a good thing though, you might need such a post "someday" :-)

Thanks for the prayers!

I will, Philbe. I haven't had a chance to call yet. Not used to so much traffic thru the farm as I've had lately!

Can we assume that CGA is moving this weekend? If so, praying all will go very, VERY smoothly....that the storm systems will stay north of that area. If not....she's still packing and arranging!

MtRider :pray::grouphug:

Making our list and checking it twice...since it's at least a 6 hour drive :-) and we can't run home for something! We'll be self contained and will just camp on your place, close to you and daughter and get more work done and less driving to and from a campground (see our PM). We'll also be able to make runs into your new hometown if you need something before we have to leave. We probably won't have room for the stainless steel sink since we're gifting you a 55 gallon rain barrel :-) Might as well get started collecting some water off one of those roofs since it's the rainy season here :-) MrWE2 wants to put together a "filter" (again...see PM) for the top of it. We'll also bring our generator to power MrWE2's tools and to keep your freezer full of meat frozen, hopefully the CoOp will be punctual. Covering it with our EZup will keep the sun off it and running the generator periodically should keep it cool for awhile. Still asking God for a prompt buyer for your place there...in Jesus' name. Will also be bringing our necessary tools for digging, building and whatnots. Gonna have a truck bed full, but that's what needs to be done! Oh, how are you set for cooking for yourselves? Got lighting? Got food and water for yourselves and your livestock? Just wanting to make sure you're set before we have to leave. You have our phone numbers.

How exciting! Praying for a smooth move! And huge thanks to the We2's for helping out CGA!

My own personal prep: I'm taking a few weeks off from the internet and all things doom. I have so much going on right now in real life and then I go online and read about nothing but looming doom. I can't do anything if Yellowstone erupts, we get an EMP strike, the economy collapses, WW III starts - it's all out of my control. So, I'm going to focus on the things that are within my control for a bit.

I'll be thinking of all of you. Please pm me if something occurs that I should know about. My pm's go straight to my main email address.

Take care and I'll see you in June!

Bye, Andrea. I can't handle the doom either, so I pretty much avoid reading about it. Figure it will happen with or without me knowing about it and most of the time it won't happen the way it is predicted anyhow. Just have to be as ready as we can comfortably be without ruining today and get on with living.

Really, really, really appreciate all you are doing, Philbe!

Edited by CrabGrassAcres

Thanks We2 for taking such good care of our CGA!

Andrea, I know how you feel. I got so much done around here when I was without the internet for 4 months. After a couple of weeks I didn't even miss it. I had to make myself get hooked up again. Mostly, I needed it to order stuff online. And it was easier to stay in contact with 'some people' via an email instead of a phone call. :whistling:

Looking forward to seeing you come back Andrea.

We pretty much gear ourselves for "homesteading" and what it takes to do it to live as self sustaining as possible for as long as possible. We listen and watch, in doses :-) Our ears, eyes and brains are not dumping grounds for the doom-n-glooms who only want to sell their stuff. Choose your content. If it's depressing that's what the "mouse" and the red "x" are for :-)

Unearthing the solar oven for our upcoming boondocking trip :-)

Got the goats tattooed and most of the adult geese and the rest of the ducks rehomed. Also sent some stuff home with the person who will be driving us because I have way too much stuff and need to majorly downsize.

Got a 16 ft utility trailer and now I'm rednecking it into a livestock trailer.

:pray:

MtRider ...when you going?

Aiming for the 30th. I keep finding more work that I need to do before I go and the place isn't sold yet. I have slowed way down over the yrs and what used to take me a week can take a month now. LOL

IKWYM..... :faint3: I don't even wanna THINK about our move someday.....

MtRider ....looking up the number to Mayflower....but doubt they have livestock hauling equipment... :yar:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Aiming for the 30th. I keep finding more work that I need to do before I go and the place isn't sold yet. I have slowed way down over the yrs and what used to take me a week can take a month now. LOL

We're hanging in there with ya friend :-) Trying to keep our calendar "loose" so we can help as much as possible. Would like to be able to stay 3 or 4 days to help and having his clients' work done prior will be good :-) Yep, we know all about slowing down...even if the mind don't! It's not until your body screams at you that you stop, think, and "somewhat" acknowledge that you just can't do the things you once did, and if you do, you do it slowly!

I can't believe how much I've slowed down too. Every Friday I used to get up around 8:00am shower, feed the dog, go to the grocery store, let the dog out, do a weeks worth of laundry (wash, dry, fold, put away) let the dog in, iron 6-7 shirts, play with the dog, dust the whole house, let the dog out, vacuum house, let the dog in, mop the kitchen floor, feed the dog, clean 2 1/2 bathrooms, make supper and play with the dog. All before 6:00pm. And not be tired! It takes me two weeks to do all of that now and I don't have to iron shirts now and I don't have the dog either.

I have to admit that my "slowness" is quite voluntary :-) I worked over 50 years at "something" and 26 of those were taking care of a disabled husband. Got up at 5 am each morning to have my "quiet time" with my coffee before I got him up, got him cleaned up & dressed, and his breakfast by the the time our house aide came at 9:00am to watch over him until I came home for lunch, then went back to work until 5. She leaves, I start my "evening" routine. That was my "life" for 26 years. When he passed, I met MrWE2 about 6 months later and things between us "clicked" even though neither of us expected it. I retired at 62 and haven't looked back :-) Now, at 67 I still don't get in a big hurry for anything except emergencies. MrWE2 just did retire at 62 but he loves his type of work and carpentry tools etc., so he keeps his fingers in the building/construction trade and that's fine with me as long as we can stop and go "play". I don't plan to sit around the house doing "wifey" stuff 24/7 :-) Now we wake up when we wake up and go to bed when we want to go to bed...except for the occasional disruption of Abby-girl wanting to go "out" about 10:00pm and 7:00am :-)

I try to stay on a schedule since daughter does better if she is on a schedule and the goats need to be milked twice a day at the same times. At this point I cannot imagine not having someone to take care of. Not sure I'd function well without 'jobs' to do. No animals in the house except for an occasional brooder and when I finally get a good barn the brooders will be out there. I don't need the extra work of a pet in the house.

Worked on the livestock trailer some more. Hopefully that will be finished tomorrow. I'm making room on top to put outdoor and livestock type stuff that can handle wind and weather.

It's like age hit me all at once. I used to read for hours a day, snatching minutes here and there to gobble a page and then calling it back up to digest it while waiting in line or at a red light. Now reading more than a few lines is a huge, exhausting chore. The doctor handling my post concussive syndrome says sometimes there are ocular changes and that we will want to bring my eye doctor into the team, but that this needs to be toward the end of the treatment arc. I guess because the eyes keep changing and there's no point getting new glasses until I have a new "normal" to match them to. My short-term memory is shot. It doesn't load stuff into my long-term memory properly. When I type, I keep typing words that rhyme with the words I think I'm typing. If I do a little light walking, my knee is okay. If I try more, or if my littlest cat puts her 5.5 pounds of weight on me at the wrong angle, I'm not okay.

So I have to change all my plans, all my angles, all my assumptions. I don't know what direction I'm going to end up pointing in.