MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Yay for the trailer--and the neighbor!

I am working part time. Last week my limit was increased to up to 30 hours, but really I can't handle that much. I'm driving out of necessity, but sometimes it's scary. Two weeks ago I got lost twice on my way to a doctor's appointment, and a couple of time I've found myself driving in circles, trying to figure out where to go. I now won't leave the house without a list of places and times...and even with the list I showed up at TOSPT for my COSPT appointment yesterday.

Amber, try to talk your doctor into a sleep deprivation eeg. You will have to stay awake all night, so you will need someone sitting up with you to help you stay awake. You sound like you are having absence seizures and they show up best on the sleep deprivation eeg.

Yes...applause to the neighbor!!! :cheer: Hopefully your livestock will appreciate your hard work? :laughkick: I keep having this mental vision of you all coming down the road :24: . Just kidding girlfriend!

Sheeeesh, Ambergris. I'd say Be Careful....BUT I know from experience that it's a task just to remember to DO that! :pray: I hope they are expecting recovery of these faculties!

CGA.... :cheer: for God's provision of help. We ask Him to keep help coming until you and dd are completely settled again.

MtRider :pc_coffee: [edited to add a word to the sentence so it makes sense :wacko:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I was gonna ask for a pic of 'redneck' trailer but.....thot you'd be rather BUSY :bounce::runcirclsmiley2::bounce:

MtRider :hug3:

We'll also want to take some pics of the "red necks" when they load and unload... :24:

Wonder why I can't the theme to The Beverly Hillbillies out of my mind?

Oops there it goes. It's gone now.

To be replaced with the sound of Dueling Banjo's.

Doodle do do do do do do do ...doodle do do do.

Plans changed, but life does proceed. We found Knorr rice side dishes for $1 so 30 of them jumped in our grocery cart :-) Then we went to one of our favorite Mennonite bulk stores and made a haul! Beautiful spiral cut, smoked ham for 99 cents a lb., and guess what? It jumped in our cart :-) Then we bought a large bag of sausage patties for a little over $5, a large bag of chicken breast for a little over $5, two nice smoked shoulder hams, a nice bag of catfish, and some other "goodies". MrWE2 built the neatest compost toilet for about $50 so now he'll have the experience to make more and perhaps find a market for them? So if anybody ever asks you what you'll do with a green pickle bucket...you'll know the answer...we bought several and will use two, so we can take one out and bring one right in, and not leave the toilet "empty" until we get the full one emptied into the compost pile. He wants to sand the wood a little to smooth rough edges but it will really come in handy at the Roost since he needs to lift the toilet to finish the ceramic tile work around that area. He'll also know how to build one for CGA if she wants one of her own :-) Went to a local cabinet shop and he told MrWE2 that we could have all the sawdust we want if we'll show up at 3:00 on Fridays :-) We'll get as many 5 gallon buckets as we can & put lids on them to keep them dry and just put one beside the toilet until it's empty and then grab another. Hopefully we'll get to the point where we can fill a 55 gallon barrel or more. We'll want a composting toilet when we build our cabin. CGA's mentioned us buying near her so we are looking at that option, but it will have to be after we get moved to the Roost and this place sold. My mind's been going so fast I'm not sure just what all we've accomplished this past week, but "it will come to me" one of these days!

ps...surgery date is 7/29 with an over night stay in hospital and 6 weeks recovery time (no lifting, no strenuous stuff etc.) Abby-girl will probably have some withdrawals not having her "mommy" for a night :-( She's really a mommy's girl :-)

Edited by The WE2's

This past year I haven't done much as far as prepping for what is to come. I had gastric sleeve surgery last August and my main problem has been acid reflux- since they removed 80% of my stomach. They were going to have to do something because a stomach scope revealed14-16 precancerous pylops. I have lost 100 lbs and now am trying to get back into shape. I am off of most of my medicines, including Levemir and Apdria, cholestral, blood pressure, etc. Believe me though, it was not a piece of cake or like a 'simple gall bladder' surgery like the surgeon referred to. I guess this is a major prep.

I kept falling after surgery and broke a bone below the ankle that has a tendon attached and also messed up the achilles tendon. After months of therapy, I think everything is healing. I guess this is a prep.

Now that I am feeling much better, I have started trying to restock and get necessary things. Even sink washers , hose washers, light bulbs were depleted. It is very surprising how much everything has gone up in price. Our stock did come in handy. So as sales happen, it will be replaced. DH did a lot of the cooking and liked going to the 'family store' to shop. I just wished he would have added things to a list, but he was very good help, so I am not complaining. Toilet paper was one of my first restocks (but we did keep all of the old phones books just in case).

It was good to see many of the same ones on and even some new people. After reading much of what I have missed, My prayers are going of for those with needs, Especially CGA and daughter.

What everyone has and is doing has encouraged me to get with it again. Plus, I still have 25 more lbs. to go before my one year surgery date the last of August.

We had 7 inches of rain this past week, over 2 days. My neighbor said the goats sheltered in the redneck trailer which was nice and high above all the water and mud. LOL Maybe I need to learn to play a banjo!

Martha, hon, that is a LOT to go thru. I hope you feel much better soon and that you can restock all the stuff that was so handy to have while you were sick.

Thanks, CGA. Right now though, all of our thoughts and prayers are with you and daughter. In God's timing, it will all start falling back in place again for you and you will soon be in your new home. Take care of yourself, too. That is what is important now.

Thank you, Martha!

I found a hole in my preps. I never thought of the necessity of having more than one pair of good pants or of the need for a comfortable couple of outfits that I could sit in all day without needing to loosen the waist every time I sat down. Most of my clothes are for working at home on the farm. So I've been digging thru the clothes, found a pair of much too large jeans to take up and found a casual dress that fits better since I've lost weight. Could use a few more casual dresses. They are more comfortable than jeans. I also need to find something that I can put on a hospital cot to cushion it enough to keep my fibro from flaring. I'm in a lot of pain right now from 6 nights on that hard cot.

:( I was wondering if you were sleeping in a lean-back chair or what. A year ago our family got too well acquainted with hospitals and found they have a variety of devices to offer relatives staying over. ...none looked too inviting... Most came over on the Mayflower ship too.... Just sayin'.....

Drawstring waist clothing.... :thumbs:

MtRider ....now your goats will have no trouble getting in that trailer when you finally take them bye-bye. :amen:

I absolutely LOVE my sundresses CGA. They're elastic-type bodice and very filmy. Some may think they're not modest enough but if you wear a tank top (I don't) and slip on a pair of silk long handle undies, they'll still be pretty comfy I would think. MrWE2 got me 4 of them a couple of years ago, and I had several long sundresses that I had bought from Avon years ago, plus lots of summer skirts that I wear with tank tops so I really don't wear pants unless I'm on the motorcycle (jeans) or working with MrWE2 on a project. Do wear denim knickers though and sometimes shorts. Like you I seldom "dress up"...but I've kept enough to have if I need them. I've been very blessed to wear my size 12 for many years. Congrats on losing weight though!!! You should reward yourself when you get moved and pick you up some new duds!

Bless your heart, CGA. You've lost weight the really hard way. And yes, you do deserve some new duds. Besides you still have the fun to look forward to. When you drive up to your new home, with the WE2's as a welcoming committee will be great. (Maybe an egg crate mattress might help on a hospital cot. It would be better than nothing.) By the way, I still have some old mumus that I wear sometimes, gross looking but comfortable. Still praying for a speedy recovery for both of you. When we moved a year and 1/2 ago, I decided I was getting too old for such as that. Thank God for 2 sons and 2 teenage grandsons.

Edited by AMarthaByHeart

I dug thru my material and found some to make a couple of jumpers. Using another one that 'almost' fits to make a pattern. I'll sew the pieces together and try them on then make adjustments till it fits. I'm hard to fit because of the kyphosis. I'll just have to take time to sew some clothes.

Ordered a 2 inch thick camping mattress that can compress way down so it isn't too bulky but self inflates. Doesn't hurt to have something like that on hand. My back still hurts from NOT having something like that on hand.

I dug thru my material and found some to make a couple of jumpers. Using another one that 'almost' fits to make a pattern. I'll sew the pieces together and try them on then make adjustments till it fits. I'm hard to fit because of the kyphosis. I'll just have to take time to sew some clothes.

Ordered a 2 inch thick camping mattress that can compress way down so it isn't too bulky but self inflates. Doesn't hurt to have something like that on hand. My back still hurts from NOT having something like that on hand.

None of us will be worrying about "looking good" when we're unloading, unpacking & getting the wiring, insulation & sheetrock in one building so you will have a place to rest your weary heads each night. We're planning to go on down with our weedeater & mower to make sure the weeds etc. don't get out of hand before you arrive. Missouri grows weeds real good you know! We'll need to be back home no later than the 22nd June (I sent you a pm).

This may seem like a small thing to everyone else, but I have most of my garden put in. It is the best garden I have managed so far. I was bad and didn't get seeds started so I do not have a lot that I want to have. I did manage to plant two types of cabbage, 2 types of lettuce, tomatoes, pickle cucumbers and regular cucumbers, 4 types of peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, zucchini, long neck yellow squash, watermelon, cantaloupe, spinach, parsley and basil. I still need to get the potatoes and the corn planted tomorrow. I have seeds for other things, but it is kind of late to get them started here in Ohio, so I am not sure what else I can do, but I am thinking of trying some carrots as well. I wish I had some peas and beans. We have four separate areas tilled. This is the most ambitious garden I have ever done. Of course it is too soon to tell if it will turn out in the end, but I have a good start. I even have blueberries, strawberries, blackberries and raspberries. We may not have enough from this to really put up extra because I am sharing with my daughter that has 5 kids still at home, but I am getting experience with the garden and that is a start.

:woohoo: That is an ambitious garden, Deb. Good for you. I hope you have a really good season. Keeping up...not getting behind in the weeding, etc is vital. Hope you have fun with it too. Gardens really stink unless you love them...cuz they are hard work.

MtRider :lois:

Way to go Deb!!!

I ordered some more canning jars. I am sooo in the mood to can. I can't wait to get started. I could have bought some Ball jars anywhere but I wanted some Kerr jars. They aren't available any where around me. I've looked. I like the shape of the Kerr jars and they seem to stack better. I don't know, maybe it's just me. I figure if I'm spending my money for jars I might as well get what I want. K-Mart sells them on line but not in their stores. But they will ship them to any store with free shipping. I have a K-Mart right around the corner from me so I ordered some and will pick them up. I ordered them Friday night and already got an email that they have been shipped.

I hope your garden grows wonderful for you Deb. Ours is struggling with the heat, it been above 100 for weeks here. Last week we were around/above 110 for several days... summer is here in the heart of the desert.

DH got a .22 cal. pump pellet rifle. It says it will hit accurate up to 100 yards.

Another sorta prep, DH also got a small misting system for the back porch. If the power goes out, we will have a cooler place to sit.

Reading this thread is so encouraging. :grouphug:

Ann; so many forget the power of "water" as a cooling agent! Many times we've taken spray bottles filled with water when we go to festivals and fairs etc. A light mist across the face and arms and a gentle breeze feels GOOD! Even a little spritz across Abby-girls' back makes her give a good "shake" which probably means it feels good :-) Plus, you can even take a short sip if that's all you had at the time. So, if we can, we probably should add more spray bottles to our pantry items :-) ?