MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Cat

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Guest arbysAlternative

I am walking more , switched bread out for salad the majority of the week, and lost about 12 pounds so far. Sometimes I think its just about getting some fresh air. It seems to make a difference.

Good for you gals! Health is a definite prep. So is saving money making your own herb butter!! Sure it counts!

I'm back to walking daily with the dog.

<_< ....plus climbing hills after straying, hooligan goats! :tapfoot:

One's voluntary....the other is nearly vertical climbs. Any steeper and I'd need climbing gear instead of just my trusty ski pole and mush [pull-me-up] dog in harness. :0327: So CERTAIN goats now get tied to something instead of free-range. Hmph!

Don't have to pay for a gym....just pay for hay and I've got 7 fitness "coaches"..... :rolleyes:

MtRider ....just don't tax my patience, hooligans! :puzzledsmile:

Hey girl! So did I! Our local gym has a special going on...and it is definitely past due for me. One thing I'm really liking is the water aerobics classes. I don't hurt at all when I'm done. The first day I got on the treadmill...bad idea. My bad ankle swelled up like a balloon.

As far as I'm concerned this is one of the most important preps I've done lately.

:woohoo: Ours was too! They were waiving ALL fees- membership/enrollment, so ALL I paid was my month + taxes.

And, my knee did the same. I bought a cheap knee support to see if that helps. I'll get a more expensive one if needed, but I'm hoping starting with the cheapo one will do me. Would that be an option for you? Some ankle support or a wrap?

I'm back to walking daily with the dog.

<_< ....plus climbing hills after straying, hooligan goats! :tapfoot:

One's voluntary....the other is nearly vertical climbs. Any steeper and I'd need climbing gear instead of just my trusty ski pole and mush [pull-me-up] dog in harness. :0327: So CERTAIN goats now get tied to something instead of free-range. Hmph!

Don't have to pay for a gym....just pay for hay and I've got 7 fitness "coaches"..... :rolleyes:

MtRider ....just don't tax my patience, hooligans! :puzzledsmile:

At best, I haul a 50# sack of feed every week or 2 :/ Not enough!!!

Hey girl! So did I! Our local gym has a special going on...and it is definitely past due for me. One thing I'm really liking is the water aerobics classes. I don't hurt at all when I'm done. The first day I got on the treadmill...bad idea. My bad ankle swelled up like a balloon.

As far as I'm concerned this is one of the most important preps I've done lately.

:woohoo: Ours was too! They were waiving ALL fees- membership/enrollment, so ALL I paid was my month + taxes.

And, my knee did the same. I bought a cheap knee support to see if that helps. I'll get a more expensive one if needed, but I'm hoping starting with the cheapo one will do me. Would that be an option for you? Some ankle support or a wrap?

A wrap might work. I'm thinking the treadmill isn't going to work no matter what. Too much impact. I'm meeting with a trainer (freebie with membership!) this afternoon to show me how to use the equipment and set up an exercise plan. She's got experience with people who've had injuries or issues with just being old. :happy0203:

:scratchhead: Old? Getting "old" gives you issues?

MtRider :sigh:

A wrap might work. I'm thinking the treadmill isn't going to work no matter what. Too much impact. I'm meeting with a trainer (freebie with membership!) this afternoon to show me how to use the equipment and set up an exercise plan. She's got experience with people who've had injuries or issues with just being old. :happy0203:

Does your gym have a reACT machine? I really want to try it. Our gym is working on it. Hope to see it before we move.

Does your gym have a reACT machine? I really want to try it. Our gym is working on it. Hope to see it before we move.

I don't think so. Looks really cool though.

I was sad to see the last post was on 22 July so I decided to post my little bit to maybe get everyone started again. This is one of my favorite threads . Most of my preps have been used in the last few months but I hope to get back to it now, and get it built up again. It's hard for an old lady to cope with 2 great grands ,( one a teenager). Got the school clothes bought and got them back in school.

I took an inventory of my preps this week, didn't take too long, haha. I see now where my biggest shortage is and can start replacing some items.

A friend gave me some pears last week and I canned 9 pints and the week before that I did some fig jam, have given most of that away as my boys don't care for figs. Wish my fig tree was still making, I love to pick a bowlful and sit by the pond, and just enjoy the quiet and watch my goldfish .But it's been really to hot to stay out very long.

The boys had a bunch of friends over today and I made cookies . .

realized that I need to get my recipes organized. looks like someone has dropped the recipe box and spilled it all. Not to careful about putting it back in order. What a mess!

I've been getting rid of clutter this summer and it is my ambition to get my house clean and ORGANIZED sometime before I die. But I've been trying for the last 60 years and don't seem to be getting any closer to my goal. Are any of you getting anything done?

Oh and I forgot that I canned some chicken breast and also got several quarts of broth. Anyway, back to the dungeon,(oh , I meant the kitchen) Time for supper. Best wishes to you all. Good prepping!!

You are raising GREATgrandchildren? [or great grandchildren?] That's a grande mission but taxing! :thumbs:

We got new tires for winter on the truck....after DH got a sudden flat [not a blow out] on the highway..after dark. <_< He was trying to wait for a little more money but....

Also got the second front tire brake pads changed out. Unfortunately, without special tools, it takes "four men and a monkey" to accomplish it. Those springs are stiff and hard to find a leverage point. Worse than that, maneuvering those blasted springs with DH with headlamps on [cuz repeated failed attempts meant it got dark] ....I strained something in my back. OW OW OW OW OW!!! Now I'm especially gratefull that I was given a hospital bed that electrically lifts head and feet. Grateful also that I keep an in-house chiropractor... :lol: ......OW! Hurts to laugh!

Keeping a jaundiced eye on our thermometer. Still hoping to harvest JUST seed potatoes for our purple mountain variety. But frost is within a few degrees every night now. IT'S AUGUST! Sheeesh. Still raining nearly every day.....a weird year but better than wildfire!

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Hi Mt-Rider. These are great-grands. My granddaughter lives with me and these are her two boys, they are (GREAT) great -children. (ages 6 and 13) They keep this old Memaw going.

I'm canning pears today,don't think I'll ever get thru peeling, peeling , peeling! Can't stay

on computer long. This is just a few minutes rest.

Hope your back is better, I know how a bad back can get you down.

Yeah....spending a LOT of time in bed. Getting up just enough to limber things up and throw in quickie suppers. Have not been outside for three days. :blink: I've read ...4 books by now...paperbacks cuz even laptop is hard to manage right now. DH and I dug out [i was supervising] all the medical braces I've collected thru the years. They fill a large duffel and DH was surprised. I wore a back brace for a good part of today. Between that and the homeopathic 'injury formula', I'm out of direct pain right now but can't be upright for more than a few minutes. So grateful for a bendy hospital bed to change positions.

MtRider ...this too shall pass....but I'd think twice about doing our own brake shoes..... <_<

Today I ordered Quikclot sponges, bloodstopper hemostatic gauze, and SAM splints for the med bags. Also picked up extra butterfly bandages, cloth tape (I'm allergic to regular surgical tape), and self adhesive stretch bandages.

This year one of the topics I plan to address with our Cub Scouts and their parents is emergency preparedness. I know that some of the families are preppers, but everyone needs a wake up call. I've also been posting info on my Facebook page. It's amazing how many of my female friends say, "Oh, my husband has us prepared for emergencies." When I ask if they know how to use the emergency supplies and how to turn off utilities if needed, they seem surprised. Then it dawns on them that if DH is at work they may have to go it alone. :shakinghead:

Knitting a pair of sturdy grey socks...... clear headed enough finally and hands do not hurt like they did. So.... onward with self teaching and book at hand. Notebook handy to re-write complex passages in book. I'm a doin' it, too! It's a skill and I can always appreciate another pair of good socks.

Going to sit outside & soak up some sunshine while MrWE2 works on Miss B. The brand new house battery is deader than a doornail so there's a draw on it from someplace. His most "unfavorite" thing ... electrical of any kind :-(

My Junquer Van has electrical wires that would make an electrician :0327: Downright SCARY! I have NO idea what I'm doing and just ignore all of it draped here and there. If my brother came out...and was in a VERY generous mood....I'd have him rip out anything I don't need to actually run the van. Hope Mr.WE2 has good luck finding the problem!!!

Praying that you're healing well! :thumbs:

MtRider :pc_coffee:

Finished buying preps for my first aid kid and some extra things, bought 10 waterbrick containers, refilled my water containers (7gal), ordered some supplies for my 72 hr. kit and general prep, ordered 2 life straws...have not however finished my crochet shawl or started afghan. But I really am feeling the need to prep, so I've been comparing prices online. I want to order some food, but not sure yet which to get.

I've been working on restocking my buckets with pinto beans and rice. Still need more but working on it. These I can get at a fairly good regular price, oatmeal too. But other things I wait for sales and the best sales are later in the year yet. Oh and I don't have as much pasta but I did replenish that the other week.. decent sale.

I really need to figure out a new litmus test for a good price on meats.. it's gotten so expensive I still feel like it's too much even when I know it's the best I can get.. so I need to figure out a new "buy if below" number.. the old one isn't working.. nothing is getting that low.. you know the one I decided on less than a year ago because the one before that was useless. :sigh:

visited friends this weekend and got to actually try out a gamma bucket lid. Oh my! I didn't realize how convenient they would be! Must get some.

We went to a flea market yesterday and I bought an escape ladder for upstairs where the kids sleep.

I really need to figure out a new litmus test for a good price on meats.. it's gotten so expensive I still feel like it's too much even when I know it's the best I can get.. so I need to figure out a new "buy if below" number.. the old one isn't working.. nothing is getting that low.. you know the one I decided on less than a year ago because the one before that was useless. :sigh:

I hear you on that! For years and years I bought meat only if it was below $2 per pound. A couple years ago I was forced into reality....now it's $3/lb. AND....DH is highly allergic to chicken! So far, by eating pork and hamburger, we can get by. Occasional round steak and also can buy the small Cornish game hens. DH doesn't react to them. They mark down the rings of sausage-type meat sometimes and we stock up. They're good for when I forget till the last minute....defrost something for supper. :o Sure wish TPTB hadn't ruined our fishing stream.... <_<

Katz....check out Emergency Essentials for storage foods. I've gotten their catalog for a decade or more. I like their shipping price system. Ask for plain shipping boxes tho...or you'll get their logo EMBLAZONED for all to see what you ordered.

Escape ladder is GOOD prep purchase, Daylily. Gamma lids are expensive but really nice. We've had one on dog food bucket on porch for ....prolly close to ten years. The threads are beginning to get loose and hard to start twisting correctly. But even the raccoons could not get that open...and they did try!!! :lol:

Not much for preps....except recovery!!! My back is improving...slower than I'd like, obviously. I've been able to put on sox for the past 3 days. Yesterday I could reach my feet in the shower...sort of. I'm carefully, using back brace, helping to lure in the grazing goats. Definitive effort to call them by shaking a cup of grain. It's working...mostly. I've only been down the stairs for the past three days but yesterday we went down the road to visit my folks. What with one thing and another, it's been over a month and they're only half hour away. The driveway nearly did me in....rain causes ruts but I raised myself up off extra pillow padding. Then, the first couple miles of gravel road ....aieeee. Nearly told DH to turn back ...get me to my bed! I'd messed up on timing of meds. Should have had next homeopathic dose working already, not taking it just as we left. Once we hit pavement, I was doing breathing exercises and ....it all calmed down. Had WONDERFUL visit with my folks. I got the recliner chair. Ride home was much easier with meds up to speed. Very fatigued muscles.....all of them from all this 'bedrest'. Sheeesh!

Was nice to get out and was important for poor Koa too. She's been inside a lot more and I can't deal with her needs yet. She LOVES to travel with us and get attention from my folks. Poor DH is trying to keep up with me, Koa, goats, ducks, and dishes. He put in a load of laundry yesterday morning too.....after Koa pulled just as he was trying to carefully step over creek. He put a leg into a deeep water hole up his whole pant leg. Nearly face-plant....complete thick MUD all over him! Pray for his energy, will y'all?

MtRider...getting by and being OhSoPatient with back injury.... :happy0203: ...well, so far it's been fairly ok.... ;)

Edited by Mt_Rider

I'm glad you're making progress with your back injury. I had spinal injections last week. Was told they'd take effect, if they did, in two or three days, and then I'd see a whole lot of improvement at once followed by several days of slight improvements. <_< Well, I got the whole lot of improvement, but two days later was about back where I'd started. :sigh: One stretch gets rid of my headache but triggers neck/back pain. One stretch helps neck/back pain but triggers really blazing pain down the arm. So I have the choice of where to hurt, which is kind of unusual, right?

:( I'm so sorry your injury has not healed and restored function to you. :pray:

:blink: heavy (pressure) storm system set off a mind-twisting headache this afternoon...surpassed the back for a while. Didn't give me a choice of pain areas tho...

MtRider ....Day 9 ....and already starting to itch with need desire to get out and do things... :cook::shopping::dusting::dishes::clothesline::lois: ........ :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: ....mebbeee not.

working on knitting skills, basic ribbed socks . my hands do not hurt , for some odd reason. Have a med the rheum doc gave me that does help if they do. Been pretty relaxed with it and not frustrated, so it is going pretty well. Wow, is all i can say for all the neat and cool sock yarns out there. I have enough for several pair of socks , including a nice cream I want to try when I get smoother working with it all, and some blends of sock ease and all the dpns I need for now. Figured out my lighting for it with the floor lamp and can manage. But it was nice to see what good sock knitters do with some of the fancier blends of sock yarn out there. I enjoyed that. saw some great, cute stuf,f for kids and teens too, or anyone with a bright set of clothes. I can read the instructions and the sock knitter group on fb has plenty of folks you can ask for details and help from. Wonderful bunch there. I feel like I can do it now, too and that is such a relief. The instructions in the book actually make sense!

Networked with area friends at Lakeside Barbeque at lunchtime today. People are definitely concerned about the ISIS situation and threats, Just a word or two, but I have a feeling they will try and be ready for it. The mindset is more alert and people are changing their attitudes that its just a far off thing in the middle east now. They understand. Sort of that look , that nod, set jaws expressions. Determined. They mentioned sleepers and those over there who can fly back. I nodded back, confirming it. As the season changes , people are starting to get ready for winter mindset and they feel things will happen before that, at latest , in the spring. So , in a sense they were estimating time to figure out how to actually be ready for anything happening that harsh. A wartime mindset.

Next couple days chores and knitting breaks, and getting ready for next week as it will be busy. Trying to figure out what orders to make online. Still haven't gotten my dad on the phone in the last week and need to check on him. I need to make sure I get some suture kits for my first aid bag. And some lidocaine stuff for numbing. Yes ,.you can get it, and the injectible type, and syringes and needles with them, sterile packages of course. You just have to search. If it makes stitching someone up easier, its a good thing to have . Because I am type 2 diabetic, and could be put on insulin... not that anyone else would ever see it, maybe I can get away with it, anyone can buy these actually, no scrip is needed. Still. There is nothing else in that pack that is questionable, its all for first aid in rugged situations, so I just won't worry about it.

Edited by sassenach