MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

DayLily, please have the kids -practice- with the escape ladder . If they ever have to use it they will be stressed and the practice will be good to have. Hope they never need it , tho. Great for you to plan ahead , life can be full of problems and you are helping your kids be prepared.

Mt-Rider and Ambergris, I hope your back improves tremendously and you are both doing great . Best wishes and prayers.

Sassenach, the ISIS situation scares me to death, I hate to think of all we may face . It's hard to know how to prepare for it.

kully

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Snapshotmiki, I hope you can help me. In your signature line you have a quote "where are we going and why are we in a handbasket?" I think this came from a cartoon in the Sunday paper many years ago, one of the funniest I ever saw.I meant to save it but didn't and have not been able to remember which cartoon it was. So, I'm hoping you might know. If not, can anybody else help? I've looked thru many of the Calvin and Hobbes but didn't find it. At the time it seemed to just tell the story of my life , and now I think it does too. If I can find it I will frame it and hang it on the wall in the kitchen!

Hey, our country is in a handbasket too..

MtRider, the co-op we belong to has the gamma lids for $5.95 plus 13% for tax and shipping. I would like to get 3 or so for the buckets we need to get into often. Lid for dog food bucket is a good idea.

Kully, good idea about practicing with the escape ladder. Thanks!

We are still harvesting and putting up food from our gardens. Praying for a late frost since we planted everything so much later than usual. Our okra is just starting to bloom and green beans are almost ready. This cool summer, we've had the best crop of sugar pod peas ever! We've frozen 20 qts and 24 pts for us plus 22 cups for Mom. We experimented with dehydrating some, sliced, and liked them so our next picking will be dried.

We have a load of logs for firewood ordered and supposed to come today. Plus we have 8 trees that we cut back in the spring that need to be sawed up and split.

So I'm telling more what I need to do than what I've done. Humm..well ordered the logs :) That's done!

DH's sister J is in the final stages of bone and colon cancer. Sister C spent the night at the nursing home with J last night. We haven't heard anything this morning. We can't plan anything too far ahead at this point.

Mt. Rider, thank you for your prayers. They are bringing J home right now with Hospice. I don't want to hijack this thread so I will go back to the OT.

I've been thinking about and planning to get more herbs and natural remedies stocked up along with home made bandages. Still working on that.

Purchased 25 packages of Ramen noodles,different flavors,4packages of powder chicken broth,baking soda,baking powder,powdered buttermilk,bisquik and 5lb. all purpose flour,also attacked spice bin sale. shopped dollar tree and added 3packages of emergency candles and matches. also getting jugs ready to take and fill with kerosene for my oil lamps.took inventory of first aid kit and medical supplies.

With this respiratory stuff hitting the mid-west and all... I want to get some elderberry, mullein and horehound on my shelves.. all of those are good for respiratory stuff and elderberry is a flu specific. Hit anything early.. if/when there's stuff in our immediate area.. we also take one dose of the elderberry any time we've gone out.

Decided not to go to the MrsS get-together this year, spent the funds on upping the supplies we wanted for "crisis management". Making another load tonight after we fill the last 3 propane tanks and the last 4 gasoline containers. Will fill all our water containers tonight when we get there also. I'll be sealing up bags of all season clothing to load in Miss B "in case" we need to head out for the Roost. We also watched the Farmer's Almanac lady on Fox and with that prediction as well as the approaching 9/11 Patriot Day we just decided to manage our livestyle a bit differently. Really wanted to go to the get-together but just can't do it this year. Also have medical bills we need to pay as well as we stocked up for 3 months of Abby's flea/tick and heartworm. We also need to get more work done on the front end of Miss B before we take her on such a long haul. Sure wouldn't want to get stranded that far from home...and in possibly bad weather :-(

I did a mullein tincture this past summer for the first time & came down with a cold recently (my middlun & I both got sick). That stuff is AMAZING!!!

Did you purchase it or make it, Aof5? Mullein is all over here right now.

Note to self: Check supply of Sambucol [elderberry product].

REMEMBER EVERYONE.....in case of catastrophic flu like the 1918 version, DO NOT DO ELDERBERRY. Normal flu is fine but not for the strange ones....it makes the body systems cascade even more quickly. [if you hear that the old and young are not the worst mortality rates but rather the young/middle adults, THAT is the odd, catastrophic flu]

Was hoping to pick more gooseberries but had goats/dog/rain/van wouldn't restart after I drove it down to barnyard. Hope a simple jump will restore engine function. Weather came in and walked up slowly in the rain...with dog...and bag of stuff that could not stay in van [bear season....NO food in there] If it's raining too much for DH to try a jump tonight, he'll be walking up too cuz van's in the way. He'll have to bring my longgun [bear season] up cuz I had my hands full. Looked longingly at the very full/very ripe gooseberries. Verrry good in pancakes and we only bought about 2 freezer pt bags worth of blueberries this year. $$$$$

My most important prep right now is careful rehab of back. Seems to be recovered from my lil' accident that set me back last week. :amen: Feels SO good to not be in constant pain...and put on my own sox again. Whew!

MtRider :rolleyes:

I did a mullein tincture this past summer for the first time & came down with a cold recently (my middlun & I both got sick). That stuff is AMAZING!!!

Note to self: Check supply of Sambucol [elderberry product].

REMEMBER EVERYONE.....in case of catastrophic flu like the 1918 version, DO NOT DO ELDERBERRY. Normal flu is fine but not for the strange ones....it makes the body systems cascade even more quickly. [if you hear that the old and young are not the worst mortality rates but rather the young/middle adults, THAT is the odd, catastrophic flu]

Was hoping to pick more gooseberries but had goats/dog/rain/van wouldn't restart after I drove it down to barnyard. Hope a simple jump will restore engine function. Weather came in and walked up slowly in the rain...with dog...and bag of stuff that could not stay in van [bear season....NO food in there] If it's raining too much for DH to try a jump tonight, he'll be walking up too cuz van's in the way. He'll have to bring my longgun [bear season] up cuz I had my hands full. Looked longingly at the very full/very ripe gooseberries. Verrry good in pancakes and we only bought about 2 freezer pt bags worth of blueberries this year. $$$$$

My most important prep right now is careful rehab of back. Seems to be recovered from my lil' accident that set me back last week. :amen: Feels SO good to not be in constant pain...and put on my own sox again. Whew!

MtRider :rolleyes:

So glad to hear you're feeling better! I'm amazed at how quickly my body is responding to walking. I've taken off about 10# and am hoping to continue the downward slope. Need to lose about another 10#, that will keep me comfy in my size 12's. Never have been "little" but 12's feel good on me and have for 40 years :-)

I harvested & made it myself. I still have a couple quart jars worth of dried leaf to make some more. I'm also attempting to save seed this year. It's a biennial (2 year plant- leaves only the first, flowers the second, then it's done), so I want to make sure I have some seed should God ever place us somewhere it isn't as prolific as here.

I also harvest my own red clover. Again, I'm attempting seed saving this year for that, too. I have a cupboard full of tinctures, ointments & homemade capsules. I should take a picture. This is the first year I've dabbled in things other than teas, decoctions & store bought stuff & harvested so much on my own. It's really quite exciting, & I've already got quite the collection :)

PS- Glad your back is on the mend. I suffer from chronic back pain, but slowly I'm learning how to manage it. Back pain sucks!

I agree.

I did too much last week. Even with management, it is a constant battle to keep my mouth shut and not mention it. My attitude is I MUST NOT stop moving, no matter how bad it hurts, even when it is a challenge to walk. :sigh:

Harvested some carrot seeds and put some of the black eyed peas in my seed bank.

This week, I hope to harvest the purslane, blanch and freeze it.

The neighbor lady said spinach grows wild around here. I asked her if she sees it, to bring me a piece so I can identify it, harvest and try some.

I harvested & made it myself. I still have a couple quart jars worth of dried leaf to make some more. I'm also attempting to save seed this year. It's a biennial (2 year plant- leaves only the first, flowers the second, then it's done), so I want to make sure I have some seed should God ever place us somewhere it isn't as prolific as here.

I also harvest my own red clover. Again, I'm attempting seed saving this year for that, too. I have a cupboard full of tinctures, ointments & homemade capsules. I should take a picture. This is the first year I've dabbled in things other than teas, decoctions & store bought stuff & harvested so much on my own. It's really quite exciting, & I've already got quite the collection :)

How do you make it....do you have a book or reliable website? DH is chiro/herb guy but his stuff comes 'ready-made. We have a few things that do grow up here...yarrow, willow, aspen [bark], and mullein...but that I'd have to travel to get. None on our property. But it's plentiful not far from here. Can harvest the flower/seed stalk too. Mebbe there is a thread in Nature's Prescriptions????

Thanks for comments on back pain. So many folks have to deal with it full time. I generally don't have trouble except lately. DH and I are trying to figure out why I've had back trouble in the fall for the past 3 years....allergies setting up systemic inflammation? Fall is the busiest time of year and I've been down each year. :gaah: Gonna try to change this somehow....if can.

MtRider :pc_coffee:

MtR, I just follow a basic tincturing for all my formulas- 1 part herb, 1 part vodka; steep 6 weeks (4 weeks minimum, 6 weeks better). Then I base my dosage on the potency of the herb. For example- elderberry (when not flu), I take a shot of before bed & dropper squeezes (since it isn't exactly a dropperFULL) through the day. Mullein, I use 2- dropper"fulls" throughout the day. Any tinctures for the boys go into a cup, to which freshly boiled water is poured, & they either add a tea bag & honey or stevia, or they can drink it cold with ice. The heat of the water will evap MOST of the alcohol (but really, we have trace amounts of alcohol in almost all fruits & fruit juices from the store, as well as many other products that are considered safe for kids) without hurting the beneficial qualities of the herb.

I find it hard to overdose on most herbals. Of course, I take a shot of elderberry, because the vodka helps knock my butt out cold, too :D So in that case, be careful if you're not burning off the alcohol.

I realized you asked for a website. I have none. What I do have is a SMALL private group on fb where 4 of them are certified herbalist/holistic therapists/etc. Susn Weed is fantastic for learning herbals- books, website, youtube. Also, Rosemary Gladstar has books that I adore.

As for what have I done- got some shelf stable milk, dental thingies (repair kit thing), drop cloth and a few other odds & ennds. AND!!! I scored a FANTASTIC deal at the Habitat ReStore today. They had a manual blender/chopper thing, new with the instruction book for....

wait for it.........

75¢!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo: It's just a little cheap thing, but it's a start. I want to see how we like it before I spend more money :)

I finally found some elderberry wine. I looked all over for it. I have one box of occillillullium (can't spell it too tired to look it up) but it expires and is pretty expensive. The wine is Mogen David. They only had 2 sort of small bottles so I got them both. I looked for it for a long time. I guess it must be old lady wine and not fancy enough to keep. Pffft. It does make me think of Arsenic and Old Lace.

I did a lot of prepping this last month. I bought quite a bit of 'hardware' (things that don't expire) so I feel pretty good about that. I also did a lot of cleaning out the kitchen and family room. I had to to let the cable guy in. Now I have to do the basement to let the water guy in. My D-ex joked that he has been watching for me on that Hoarders show. Jokes on him though. If he only knew how close he was.

Great...thanks, Armyo5

My D-ex joked that he has been watching for me on that Hoarders show. Jokes on him though. If he only knew how close he was.

:008Laughing:

:hi: ....off to hunt the WILD mullein leaves.... Hey, Martian and :scratchhead: [other Queen of T.P.] should plant some mullein for expedient T.P. Soft as Charmin, it is! :happy0203:

MtRider :lol:

Hey, Martian and :scratchhead: [other Queen of T.P.] should plant some mullein for expedient T.P. Soft as Charmin, it is! :happy0203:

MtRider :lol:

Heh, NOOOOO!!!!! Women used to use mullein as ROUGE because it roughed up their cheeks. Um, ON THEIR FACES :ashamed0002: Imagine what it'd do to the OTHER cheeks! :runcirclsmiley2::o:sSig_help2::imoksmiley:

Last year I bought yardage of soft flannel, cut it into squares with my pinking sheers, and it's stored at the Roost. Got some tp stored but eventually that would run out if shtf was extended :-( Washing up all our blankets etc. today to pack them and get them stored. Got a relatively clean bill of health from gyn, said "ease yourself back to your norm and let your body tell you when you need to slow down or rest". PTL!