MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Cottage-Cheese rennet, vinegar and lemon juice methods

I know if you wrap in cheese cloth, squeeze and shape in a press ( food safe plastic cylinder with holes for draining, leave overnight...... rewrap in morning and set out on cloth covered counter to dry up to two days in cool room, or refrigerator, it will become brick cheese. ) It does not melt. Easy to slice and eat though.

I had come up with others for queso blanco cheese a couple weeks ago but they are gone...... use up to 3/4c.( maybe a whole cup, depending) of apple cider vinegar for a gallon of milk for that type of cheese. This forms the curds, or you cut them with a long clean sterile knife and stir, drain the whey, press and dry, You can eat it right away, refrigerate.

Most of the wiki how to recipes required milk to be heated so the skin develops on top of the milk and didn't mince words about taking temperature, this was adequate for cottage cheese. One can also make yogurt and make cream cheese and what resembles a ricotta with it, or turn it into brick cheese where you definitely need to add salt as it prohibits bacteria that isn't good in foods ( a preservative).

As for basic brick cheese, not sure if this is considered cheddar. It does require vinegar and rennet.... I had found this and copy and pasted to a document.....

Basic cheese
BASIC CHEESE MAKING
FOR ONE GALLON MILK
David B. Fankhauser, Ph.D.
Professor of Biology and Chemistry
University of Cincinnati Clermont College
Batavia OH 45103

finished curds
Coagulated milk is cut into
roughly 1/2 inch cubes

22 Feb. 1982, rvsd 24 Feb. 92, 5 Aug. 98, 24 Oct. 98, 5 Dec 98, 23 Mar 99, 7 Jan 00, 3 Aug. 02
File "Cheese98.htm" was last modified on 28 Dec 2011.
This page has been accessed Counter times since 26 July 2002.

The cut curd is warmed and stirred
to allow it to contract, expressing the whey

If this is the first time you are making cheese, here are the major stages of cheese making:

ACTION:
PURPOSE:
1) Inoculate, incubate the milk bacteria slightly acidify (ferment) the milk so that the rennet will act on the milk
2) Add the rennet, achieve a clean break rennet (a digestive enzyme) digests casein, causing it to become insoluble in water and coagulate.
3) Cut and set the curd coagulated milk is cut into cubes and warmed to contract the curds ("curds and whey")
4) Separate and salt the curd whey is poured off the "curds and whey," and the curds are salted to preserve them
5) Press the curds salted curds are loaded into a press which presses out the whey and gives form to the cheese
6) Cure the cheese, wax it cheese is dried out and bacteria act on the curds to change their taste and consistency.
It may be waxed to prevent undesirable dehydration and excessive microbial growth.

One gallon of milk yields about one pound of cheese. You may use any kind of milk for this recipe. I primarily use my own fresh goats' milk, but have made it quite successfully with cow's milk from the grocery, and even better with raw cow's milk from a local farmer. Once you have master this one gallon recipe, follow the 5 gallon recipe to make a larger wheel of cheese.

INGREDIENTS TO TURN ONE GALLON OF MILK INTO ONE POUND OF CHEESE

one gallon freshest milk (the fewer bacteria present, the more predictable the cheese)
2-3 teaspoonfuls buttermilk (or 1/3rd cup yogurt )
1/4 tablet rennet (Here is the front and back of the rennet package.)
salt

APPARATUS

thermometer, reading -10 to 110oC (0 to 225oF) (I prefer centigrade, but have included Fahrenheit numbers as well)
wooden mixing spoon, whisk or other stirring device
Stainless steel pot1 , 4-6 qt., with lid, with a thick metal bottom (Al or Cu) to spread the heat, sterilized2 .
8" strainer or colander (A colander does not allow whey to flow through as fast as a strainer.)
large handkerchief, sterilized by boiling
cheese pressing frame (4" diameter, 5" tall can, about 20 oz, ends removed, save one end for a follower)

PROCEDURE

INOCULATE THE MILK: The evening before you plan to make cheese, warm 1 gallon of the freshest milk to 20oC (68 o F) in the sterilized pot. Thoroughly blend in the inoculum of 2-3 tsp buttermilk or 1/3rd cup yogurt as starter . Cover the inoculated milk with the sterilized lid. (The function of this inoculation with bacterial starter is to have the milk fermenting bacteria make lactic acid which lowers the pH so that the rennet will be able to act on the casein.)
INCUBATE OVER NIGHT: Let sit at room temperature (R.T.) overnight (20-22oC).
WARM THE MILK: The next morning, warm milk up to 30 oC (take care not to burn it). Meanwhile, dissolve ¼ tablet of Rennet in ¼ cup cold water . (This pictures shows a whole tablet being added to water).
ADD THE RENNET: Add dissolved rennet to the warmed milk , stir to mix thoroughly. Cover, let sit undisturbed for approximately an hour. Be patient. Do not disturb the milk until it has coagulated.
ACHIEVE A CLEAN BREAK: Test for completed action of rennet ("clean break "): Probe a clean finger into the (hopefully) gelled milk and lift. If the gel is firm enough to break cleanly as the finger is lifted, go to next step. (If the milk is gelatenousand flows across your finger , let sit until a clean break is obtained. Do not stir. This may take as long as 1-2 hours.) Be patient, do NOT disturb the milk. (Here is a link to trouble shoot "clean break" failure .)
CUT THE CURD: Once a clean break is achieved, cut the curd with a long knife : begin at edge of pot, cut straight down to bottom. Cut repeatedly parallel to first cut, but increasing the angle of the knife until reaching other side of pot. Rotate the pot 90 degrees, cut as before . Rotate and cut two more times, yielding ½ inch cubes of curd .
SETTING THE CURD (RAISE AND HOLD THE TEMPERATURE): Place pot over a low fire, stir curd with cleaned bare hand by reaching down to bottom, gently lifting and stirring . Cut larger curds as they appear. Do not mash or squeeze. If you wish to save some soft cottage cheese, remove a portion of the curd at this step before you raise the temperature. Continue stirring for 15 min to prevent the curds from clumping together. Heat curds to 34oC (92o F) for soft curd cheese, or as high as 39oC (102oF) for very firm cheese. The setting temperature makes a great deal of difference in the consistency of the curd/cheese.
SEPARATE CURDS AND WHEY: Stir and maintain desired temperature until curd has contracted to consistency of firm scrambled eggs . Remove from stove. The curds should sink in whey. (Ops, did they float3 ?) Decant off when through a strainer (you may line the strainer with clean cloth if the curd is very fine grained ). Save the whey for ricotta if you like. Place curds in a large bowl .
ADD SALT: Sprinkle two tsp. salt over curds, working with hands to mix . Pour off accumulated whey. (The salt is necessary so that the cheese will not spoil as it cures. I tried it without salt and it spoiled. However, unsalted, uncured cheese may be frozen until use.)
PRESS THE CHEESE : Use sterile large white handkerchief to line a smooth-sided 4" x 5" tin can from which both ends have been removed. Place still-warm curds in the cloth , cover curd with the corners of the cloth, lie the cut-out end of the can on top, and place heavy weight to press down. Let sit for 12 hours or so.
CURE THE CHEESE: The next AM, remove from press, remove cloth, rub outside of cheese with salt and rewrap with fresh handkerchief. Place wrapped cheese on a rack in the refrigerator. Replace "bandage" daily (as long as it continues to become wet). When a dry yellowish rind forms (about one to two weeks), dip in melted wax , store in refrigerator for about a month (if you can wait that long) or longer for sharper cheese.

1 Avoid aluminum pots, the acid will dissolve them and possibly overload you with aluminum.
2 Sterilize the pot just before use by pouring ½ inch of water in the bottom, covering, and bring to a rolling boil for at least five minutes. Pour out the water, replace sterile lid, keep sterilized pot covered until you are ready to add the milk.
3 If the curds float, you have a gas-producing contaminant in your starter or your milk was contaminated. You need to pay closer attention to handling your milk, and/or purchase fresh starter. The bacteria which form bubbles may be a form of Escherichia. However, it does not necessarily ruin the cheese, but does make it iffy. Many CO2 formers are non-pathogenic. Indeed, you might WANT bubbles in your finished cheese. Think about Swiss cheese... However, to be safe, age your cheese for at least two months because pathogens do not survive this extended aging. In addition, you will have a little more difficulty separating the curds from the whey if the curds float.

An older refrigerator if you don't have a cool attic or basement situation works great to age and keep cheese in for aging and controlled temps for food safety. Yes, waxed cheese ( food grade cheese wax is easy to purchase and worth keeping for this purpose.) will keep for quite some time in average daily temperatures when you are on the move.

There are exact temperatures to refrigerate cheese super properly and you can even convert older frigs and freezers for the purpose and install racks as needed, if you do this in a big way. But cheese has been made for centuries in different ways and if it comes down to it, one can adapt the more simple methods just fine if they use things that are clean and sterilized, with salt as a preservative and can maintain it in cool temps in a permanent place. Seal it with wax.

I definitely like the idea of a separate refrigerator for storage and aging so that you don't have other food stuffs and open drinks that might affect flavors or admit bacteria in the storage area for the cheese, though, as a matter of course.

Here also is a very simple way to make vinegar with organic apples. Once done you will have your own 'mother' , if you didn't get some some other way to begin with. This has to be a very primitive method. ( accidental original version is what I would call it. )

I also will have to categorize it as guerilla homesteading methodology as well, just to be proper when it comes to preserving foods. I do reccommend getting some basic how to make cheese books, getting the bits of equipment and proper cooking utensils and pots and some rennet and innoculators for making various cheeses and practicing, food wax for waxing them and having a nice clean way to keep them properly cool while aging. Over time I acquired a few of these basics but it was nice to find a few links about whipping up some quick stuff with fundamental ingredients we usually have in the kitchen today. Or homestead. One can still keep it very simple , and enhance at will once you learn basics.

Here is the apple cider vinegar link.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Apple-Cider-Vinegar

If any one else has a simple recipe and procedure for Queso Blanco Cheese , will they post it please as a reminder?

Thankyou! ( It does not require rennet and is quickly able to be consumed. One could make this once a week or more as necessary, as it is a pretty quick method for a cheese product.)

Edited by sassenach
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, here is a simple recipe for mozarella from wiki how to site.

http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Mozzarella-Cheese

it uses a brine solution, and talks about Ultra High Pasteurization compared to Pasteurization. I only have access to milk at the store, will basic commercially sold milk work?

It is labelled Pasteurized.... or do I need straight from the farm organic for this.

I never heard of the Ultra Pasteurizing methodology so I am asking about it.

I am thinking I need to work on my cheese making skills and mozarella is a good basic cheese I would use frequently.

Ok, many of you know I have taken on learning to knit socks. Socks are practical and fantastic and creative, depending yarns and patterns you use. Many people get all finicky or may find a certain type of needles to their liking or comfort levels. These needles are all simply tools. There are a variety of heels in sock making that one can learn to do or one pattern may use one method, depending on if its cuff down or toe down or which needles, like either dpn's or circular needles, and even those vary. They get called by initials alot of the time and I don't know that many methods. I hear both good and bad about various circular needles usage and that there can be problems with doing cuffs with circulars and many folks change to dpns when doing toe up socks because it can leave the cuff edge too tight or too loose and that is not practical, and its very frustrating to put in hours of works and run into that dilemma.

I am keeping my gear simple, so mostly I am using dpns. I have been learning simple cuff down methods but an awful lot of patterns require toe up methods ( what you knit first. This is in reverse to cuff down.)

I just found on wiki how to , a great presentation for simple socks using dpns ( you need a five set and a small crochet hook gauged to your yarn for pick ups of dropped stitches, add in a yarn needle too and something like small safety pins for stitch markers, and some sock yarn which is going to be number 1 , and keep your dpn sizes between 2 and 4 for regular tension knitting. One can go up and down in dpn sizes as to be comfortable or if you want a tighter knit or loose knit of the sock, but I am giving average knitting info here for simple 'vanilla' socks.

When I looked this over, it instantly solved the dilemma I have been having over HOW DO I DO THE HEEL WITH TOE UP PATTERN AND HOW DO I KNIT TOE UP SOCKS WITH JUST A SET OF DPNS IF I NEED TO? ( Because I May not have the correct circulars size or length of them in my gear but dpns are easy to get and don't cost much for basic sets if you don't get all fancy . One can even make a set from hangar wire and file them smoothly. )

So, here is a simple pattern using dpns for toe up socks ( you do the toes first, then the foot, then the heel and then do the leg to length you want.

Basic socks for womens medium size require 100 grams of sock yarn ( at least 75% wool 25% nylon) number 1 weight. This is two small Patons Kroy Sock Yarn or one Sock Ease Yarn for the average sock pair. Knee length sock pairs take up to twice that. If one has very large calves, ankle, feet ,additional yarn and stitches per inch around cuff can be adjustments to make socks large enough to not stretch them over much and much more likely to last the ten years they should.

You may want to use a smaller set of dpns to do cuff, lower leg and foot so it fits snug enough and properly over the foot and toes. For calf area use what is reccommended size to start with on the body of the sock leg, then change when you get to smaller portion of leg under the shin , if you are doing cuff down, or start with one size smaller dpns with toe up like this pattern on the link.... and change to larger size for body of leg,, and then finish with cuff on smaller needles you started with .

I have been figuring all this out talking with knitters on a couple of great knitting groups on FB since I have no one locally to teach me and by reading Ann Budd books. ( They are phenomenal and welcome all new comers. ) Also there are some incredible Finnish ladies who have been showing us their fabulous color work and the fact they all learn to knit when age 5 in school, really makes a difference. They also often do traditional winter socks and slippers in heavier weight wool yarns and do a beautiful job and those socks are great for boots and winter wear. ( I am gaining dpn needle sets as I go and will have sz 4 dpns paired soon, and also sz 6. I will get sz 5 and 7 dpns next month if all holds together in our nation. ( these also are helpful knitting hats and boot slippers with thicker yarns.) DPN needles are for all round knitting basically, and easier to make a knit carrier for or sew one that rolls up and is easy to carry, compared to circulars , if you need to put them in your bugout gear. Add cable needle, yarn needles, stitch markers or a few spare pieces of contrasting yarn works, a small bagged of handrolled skeins of sock yarn , which compacts sock yarns up quite small and keeps it safe for use and travel, and you are set. You could make a larger carrier to include a few sets of favorite straight needles to make flat work and do sweater pieces and rectangular shawls. Learn to do the mattress stitch to join pieces and you can construct anything you need with yarn or cord. Big fat needles will work with paracord to make netting really fast too.)

Ok, here is the wiki how to link I found. I read the pattern and it looks like a beginner knitter could do it if they are patient and can keep all the stitches on the needles or keep them picked up. The little stitch keeper plugs work great for dpns when you are paying attention to one of the needles and the others decided to play drop a stitch games.

The pattern looks complete and easy to read. If you can cast on, cast on around two needles to give some flexible and if you don't know the Norwegian style ( I can tell you as long as you cast on somehow), and its loose enough, it will be ok if you really need a pair of socks.... I can't wrap the yarn around the way they suggest , on all the fingers just so, but I am working on those techniques. You don't have to get all anal about it in other words , but you can build skills pretty fast if you are just willing to try. Then you do the first row knit, and place it on each of the dpns. She did a five dpn pattern here but one can certainly just use 4 dpn if necessary and adjust the amount of stitches divided during the phases of the knitting.

http://www.wikihow.com/Knit-Socks

There are plenty of youtubes on various types of knitting issues too to look at online. There are thousands of free downloads and inexpensive patterns to search for. I've only paid for one so far. The pants pattern I really wanted.

There are websites and for personal use only, copying and pasting to a document to make a hard copy works for emergencies as far as I am concerned. The power may have gone off and you can't then look it back up to work with it in front of you if you have no power or cable internet, right?

My kindle died on me suddenly......yes I am using my kindle for pc and its handy, but I am also writing up patterns that I like and are basic items, in a notebook by hand just to have it hard copy in case I lose my laptop, or have to leave it behind. A composition book or notebook that fits in my pack , a needles carrier and some balls of yarn, and I can still knit. I can't memorize things complex stuff because of LD, so I do this as ways to help myself. It also is broken down well enough that a new knitter can look at it and figure it out. I will include basic stitches and patterns over time. I also am making up flash cards for various stitches. Those fit in a pack too and may be worth the weight.

I can design stuff once I learn the basic method of construction, this way too. My knitting library of hardbound books is getting more and more well rounded. My town library gets the lot if I die ( I need a will for that. ) In a long emergency, these books are worth a lot in this area.

Looks like a good sock tutorial. I like the visuals. I haven't tried socks but I think I'd rather start with the toe (toe up) and work my way up. I think I could judge how long I'd want to make the socks better that way. If I did the toe down method and misjudged the length of the sock on the leg part...I'd have to do the sock over or live with a too short/long sock. :puzzledsmile:

DH and I dug up the last of the taters today. Beautiful day and I just had to be outside. I did not touch the garden fork [my back] but sat on ground ....avoiding a deplorable amount of thistles. These taters were the only thing DH planted this year due to complete garden fail for the previous two years. [voles and drought and deer] So I scooped the dirt with my hands to find the taters. The Purples are hard to see...matching the dark earth. Wasn't a great harvest but we weren't planning to eat them....just renew the seed potatoes so we can plant next year if we need to. We have our traditional high altitude Peruvian Purple taters :cheer: And the ....whatsit Gold ones. Not impressed with the Gold....up here, anyway.

We left all the roots and tiny potatoes deep underground. :shrug: Who knows? Mebbe they will start some plants very early in the season??? First time we've done that on purpose. Probably won't survive the winter ground freeze. But garlic does..... :shrug:

Now I'm on the heating pad..... but it was SO nice to participate in LIFE outside my house. For an outdoors person like me, being sequestered inside is disheartening. Imagine during a pandemic quarantine period. I'd bust thru the roof and make a "widow's walk" for some sky and air time! :rolleyes:

DH and I continue to have discussions on allocation of funds....in this particular era of time. :scratchhead: .....it would help is "funds" constituted a higher number. :sigh:

And winter cometh.....so we have all the winter prep to finish. Duck house and Goat house both could use a total cleaning from the floor. Usually I'd have been doing that in stages all summer long. But that hasn't been able to happen. Hmm.... Bringing in the hoses from garden today too. Moving unused rolls of fencing to where they won't get frozen down to the ground. Clearing and cleaning.

:unsure: .....well, DH is doing all that. I went up for a shower....and clear my sinus of the dust/fall-stuff so I could breathe. Sheeeesh, that sinus factor is really baaaad this year.

Found a new source of delivered hay [i HOPE] :pray: ......so did not make the run to the feed store today. Both cheaper and delivered..... :bounce: Still have to clear out the hay shed then..... Not too hard to do that.

Neighbor invited our run-away goats to come clean out his land of weeds, etc. :happy0203: Now if the lil' darlin's will JUST STAY OFF THE DANGED ROAD!!! Two cars had to stop tonite before DH could get down there to get them off ...AGAIN.

MtRider ....a bit of snow....80 degrees.... Yep, it's Autumn in the Rockies! :frozen::knary:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Broke my budget all to pieces going to a K-Mart that is closing Nov 1st. Took advantage of the closing sale to stock up on much needed (roomies' clothes all worn out & mine close to that) winter wear, work clothes, and the like. The economy 'recovery' looks like so much hokum when you see K-Marts and other chain stores closing & leaving right before your eyes....

The same thing happened to me Kappy. I really broke the budget but I got a lot of good deals at a couple of our Super K-Marts going out of business sales. It was things that I would have bought sooner or later though so I'm glad I went ahead and got things. Might as well get it while it was on sale. I got some things for 30% off and some things for 60% off. I think all of the ones in my area are all closed now.

Yesterday I went to a friends garage sale and got one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/little-giantreg;-still-air-incubator?cm_mmc=feed-_-Animals_and_Pet%20Supplies-_-Little%20Giant%C2%AE-_-2167379&gdftrk=gdfV27960_a_7c2509_a_7c10868_a_7c2167379.

And one of these http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Automatic-Turner-6300/dp/B004XNMG1G#

For FREE!!! Nobody was interested so they called me at the end of their sale and asked if I wanted it. I am excited. :hapydancsmil:

Queso Fresco/Blanco cheese

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/10/homemade-cheese-queso-blanco.html

I found it. Uses a gallon of milk and a bit of vinegar in the ingredients needed and turns out a nice cheese you can even fry up since it doesn't really have a melt factor. ( you actually only need vinegar for pasteurized milks, raw milk can curdle on its own if set out all night. )

Mix in some good herbs and enjoy.

Jeepers it is easier to try on a sock as you are knitting it with circulars... I bent some of my smaller ones trying that with the dpns. I am doing it but using a larger and therefore , stronger, set of dpns for my striped socks I am currently knitting for knee socks and because it has to fit over the calf, it does reduce the length one may be estimating they need before they do the heel and foot parts on cuff down. If doing this try on , use four dpns and arrange the stitches so they will open between two dpns over the instep. I had to add about an inch extra length to the leg part.

I am going to try that wiki how to knit socks on my next pair , to do dpns and toe up. It twists my brain thinking I will have an upside down stockinette stitch,but it really does not do that.

I also will be doing a pair soon in cotton stretch sock yarn to see how that goes on the needles. I might just make some anklets/ sport socks with that, its all jungle colors. Use some finer needles than my knee highs.

( All my orders from amazon are on their way , I think now. I can't wait to see the new yarns I ordered and color blends. It still can end up different once it is knit up. It is fascinating to see the results of several persons knitting in the groups I belong to on fb for knitting and knitting socks. ) One of them even joked about knitting being a post apopalyptic skill, and this is very true. That made me grin. In four season country it certainly is.

I wish I could knit more but my arthritis doesn't like it. Winter is even worse for me. I can crochet easier. Probably because I only have to use one hook. I would like to try using one of those hairpin lace things. I saw a nice infinity scarf on Youtube using one of those. I'd like to try to do it for an afghan but I can't find the instructions on how many 'stitches' to start with to make an afghan about 4-5 feet long.

Yesterday I went to a friends garage sale and got one of these http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/little-giantreg;-still-air-incubator?cm_mmc=feed-_-Animals_and_Pet%20Supplies-_-Little%20Giant%C2%AE-_-2167379&gdftrk=gdfV27960_a_7c2509_a_7c10868_a_7c2167379.

And one of these http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-Automatic-Turner-6300/dp/B004XNMG1G#

For FREE!!! Nobody was interested so they called me at the end of their sale and asked if I wanted it. I am excited. :hapydancsmil:

Niiiice!!!

Whoooooo WOW, Dogmom! Please let me now how it works. I hate paying for day-old ducklings but have never tried using an incubator. I wouldn't even need one that big. And FREEEEEEE! :cele: You could go into that business...in your spare time. :lol: Do you have a Mister for your ladies?

:shopping: Actually got into a grocery store today. It's been months since I went. In one fast hour [i used disability cart] we got 20# of decent Asian rice, 25# of sugar [in a danged leaky bag], 10# of elbow macaroni noodles.....all of which I will repackage into airtight plastic juice bottles. The basic cheese in 32 oz size was reduced by $2/package so we stocked up on them. We use cheese on/in so many things. Increases protein. Looked for molasses which DH uses in our bread recipe but couldn't find it. Got another package of fly strips....gooey things to hang up much higher than one's head. We've got a baaad batch of flies right now. Rainy summer so I'll be hanging one of those tomorrow. It was a good restock of things we use all the time.

.......shopping and a visit with my folks.... :0327: BUT :amen: it means my back is MUCH better :bounce: (but MS is having a FIT right now) :wacko:

MtRider :offtobed:

Edited by Mt_Rider

jeepers, most of the cowls use really big needle and bulky yarn, often just flat work and you turn it and shape it to fit and use buttons that are big.

I found an example of baby wool yarn that should work for the diaper pants.

http://www.amazon.com/Lion-Brand-Yarn-823-143I-Orchid/dp/B0042TJH7C/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1412590579&sr=8-2&keywords=baby+wool+yarn

Went food shopping this morning, before the bad weather sets in...

1 box pancake mix

1 box biscuit mix

2 jiffy corn meal mix

6 vienna sausage

6 potted meat

6 ravioli

6 assorted soups

1 spaghetti noodle

1 egg noodle

6 sloppy joe in can complete with meat

4 corned beef

2 tuna

5lb. sugar

5lb. self rise flour

5 lb. corn meal.

1 baking soda

1baking powder

4lb. rice

6 assorted spices

Yay for mobility, MtR!!! Sounds like you had a great & productive day!

Yes! Yay for disability scooters, or I wouldn't have gotten twenty feet....

I am grateful to be living in a techno era that has such great assistance devices for disabilities of all sorts...even aging issues. Such a marvel that folks have not had in all the past generations....nor do many in poorer regions of the world have access today. I love the scooters, canes, and anything else that gets me further with less energy expenditure!

An indicator of improvement for my back strain.... :hapydancsmil: I was able to sit comfortably upright in the truck seat on the way there. On the way home [all tired out] I had to pack the seat with pillows again and lay more diagonally. But that's significant progress. DH and I are both tired of this period of me being so very fragile. Hmph....fragile is not exactly my personality type, eh? But God knows how He created me and ....has plans for me.

MtRider :amen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

My monthly trip to the grocery store , I spent more than I should but it was not enough to suit me. I am trying to get my pantry in better shape and cannot do it fast enough. Too many things to worry about now in the news. ---Should I just quit watching news and concentrate on my little house? It may be better on my nerves to become a sheeple.

Nooooo, not the best way to go.

My trip was pretty productive.

2 Wesson oil

50 Koolaid @ 10/$1

3 Chunky soup, Campbells

3 cake mixes

1 box crackers

2 peanut butters

2 5# bags sugar @1.68 each

4 boxes jar lids @1.89 ea.

3 Chef Boyardee (the little one wanted this)

1 salt

4 cornbread mixes

1# black beans

12 pack Scott tp

3 bath soaps

large bottle Dawn dishwash

garbage bags

8# bag chicken quarters (to can)

10#bag Martha White SR flour

I've been canning some of my older storage beans so they don't get to hard. My little pantry is looking better. If I didn't have to feed my cats I'd have a bigger pantry (haha) The stray that had the last kitty my boys adopted has now had another litter under my house, 5 I think. I've told the boys no more cats!!! If the stray was not so feral, I'd catch her and have her spayed. Now 5 more kittens to find homes for.

Jeepers, this is the medicine I was given for Osteoarthritis in my hands and as the weather is changing , I do feel it sometimes. Besides a more careful leafy green and veggie oriented diet, with animal protein, instead of mostly sandwiches, this helps.

You do need to eat something with it but it's an nsaid, that is not supposed to bother the stomach, long term, ( like many do) according to the Rheumatologist. It is a new one. It does help many who try it.

ETODOLAC 200 mg, twice a day ( 12 hrs apart, so morning and evening. )

It is specifically for Osteoarthritis, though, not RA.

Edited by sassenach

My hands only bother me a little bit mostly if I over use them. I have flare up so at least it isn't constant. My neck, on the other hand is killing me. I had 2 whip lash accidents about 25 years ago and I'm really paying for it now. My neck hurts, aches and is sore to touch. When it starts in it triggers migraines. I do have meds for the migraines but only take them when I can't stand it any more. I don't want to build up a tolerance to them and then be left with nothing. Winter really hurts.

I didn't see that med on the online pharmacy but they do have other meds that would probably work. My Dr. is very compassionate and will give meds within reason and if they don't contradict all of the other stuff I take. I'm on 3 BP meds and one cholesterol med. Too many meds. My blood work came back pretty good this time though.

Don't forget to do the PM thingy. :wink (2):

Yes, I just was really busy for several hours with other things, will try to get back to you tomorrow if I may on the pm. The medication is quite new. So it may not be listed on your source yet. It has about an 80 % success rate is what I was told ( how the individual responds to its pain relieving. It doesn't interfere with much but is nsaid class , of course. So that may be a concern if mixed with certain other medications. Perhaps a pharmacist locally would have information for you? Tell them the VA system is issuing it to veterans with OA. If they don't have a write up, they may have access , with permission, via the VAMC Rheumatalogical dept. to get data on it. At this point it is prescribed only, not OTC yet.

It did seem to take a couple days to be sure of working , for me when my pain levels got severe. ( I need to keep that in mind when it gets colder.)

I developed a tolerance for advil over the years and naprosyn was atrocious on my stomach and advil probably was , so this came well recommended. It is non narcotic.

Whoooooo WOW, Dogmom! Please let me now how it works. I hate paying for day-old ducklings but have never tried using an incubator. I wouldn't even need one that big. And FREEEEEEE! :cele: You could go into that business...in your spare time. :lol: Do you have a Mister for your ladies?

MtRider :offtobed:

I used a borrowed one several years ago to hatch eggs in my classroom. This one has an egg turner so it will make life much easier... Six out of 20 hatched but I think the hatch rate was low because the humidity dropped each time I had to open it to turn the eggs. No Mister for my girls because they're not allowed within city limits but there are several farms on the outskirts that sell fertile eggs.

Spare time? What in the world is that?

What have I done to prepare?

How about mental attitude?

We seem to be getting hit from every side. Every inch forward has ended up a mile backwards. We are so very tired of the stress. If we were to let it get us depressed, no telling what we would do. However, we are trying (very trying, lol) to count our blessings instead of the hard stuff. :sigh:

During :smiley_shitfan: I think things would be a lot like they are right now for us. So, focusing on the good instead of the bad, is good practice, I guess.