MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

Well.....DH found two bags of marked-down-significantly bananas and has been making banana bread [in freezer] and banana dessert [short-cut banana cream pie] and I'm supposed to dehydrate some.

He also bought that 20+ pound bag of carrots and I'm trying to catch time ENERGY to peel and zip them thru food slicer to dehydrate. ....soon!

Cuz we've been processing the free garden produce we picks on the day our horse decided to have a 2 week illness episode. Yesterday DH and I roasted, peeled, sliced, packed and poured in the pickled beet stuff. We didn't water bath these 3 jars but put them into the fridge. Been eating lots of beets and greens in our meals. :yum3:

Getting more tomorrow....yeah, we'll harvest more beets, lots of turnips, more Swiss chard, collards, mustard greens, mebbe find some late spinach... from my generous friend.

Taters have been going outside [under porch...not in sun] each day to 'cure'. They're ready but with the INVASION of mice this year, I'll be hanging them from the rafters in mesh bags. [danged mice!!!]

So I hope we're ready to begin processing the next bounty that we will receive. Unfortunately I began thawing a turkey to get it out of the way before Thanksgiving. I must cook that tonite and we'll have to "pick the bones" immediately [i hate doing that] cuz there IS NO ROOM in fridges.

Aiiieee.... ever notice it all happens at once? :0327:

MtRider :feedme::amen::):):)

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've found that if I cook my turkey in the electric roaster.. that I can dump the carcass back into the roaster and cook it on low overnight so that I don't have to deal with it that same night AND I don't have to put it in the fridge.. and I get up to some great stock. (you'd still have to pull off the better meat though) I pour the stock through a strainer and can pick the meat out of that and just label it as soup turkey.. it still works great in other soups or gravies.

:0327::happy0203:

Spent a half hour trying to plug in the dehydrator. <_< The extension cord was shorting out and have forgotten to get another. So I tore apart the First Aid totes, boots, bags, etc that is behind a chair until....hanging nearly upside down...could plug it into a different electric socket. :curtsey:

Of course with that much tearing stuff apart [and it's right inside the windy doorway] I had to get out the vacuum and not let that opportunity pass..... :dusting:

THEN I began slicing bananas ....which where so soft that I only did one tray. Mashed the rest and have two ziplocks in freezer....ready for banana bread or whatever. DH will love that. Could have done them as a 'fruit leather' mebbe???

Was going to fill the rest of dehydrator with carrots but.....turkey needed to get in.

Turkey is in...and since there was no longer a label to tell me weight, I'm not sure WHEN it will be done. I spent about 45 min. trying to finish taking the feathers casings out.....not a good job of plucking/cleaning when it was butchered. Not a Butterball! :yar: Tried 3 different tweezers but only my fingernails did any good. Then EVERYTHING was sanitized with bleach....set 10 min....wiped down. [did not repeat....since hopefully, my kitchen is not a "lab" ] :rolleyes:

:sigh: Carrots are not gonna make it to dehydrator. Gotta go run to feed ....'fore it's dark and the lions 'n tigers 'n ba'rs come out... :o

MtRider ....got stuff done....that counts these days even if it wasn't as much as I'd hoped... :cheer:

Gleaned at my friend's garden today. I am so tired and sore and not even sure my brain works. Doesn't seem like much but, I guess my general functioning isn't back to what I'm hoping for either. Pulled a few beets still left. Pulled all the turnips. Several were so large [and yes, in our cool mountain environment they are crisp and perfectly good no matter how big they get] ...so large that 6 or 7 of them filled a bushel basket. Largest was nearly the size/weight of a bowling ball. If you space out the seeds, they'd all be like that. I plan to dehydrate them in small pieces to be used in stew, etc. Canning doesn't work well.

Anyway, I kept tilting over backwards when I pulled those monsters. Ya THINK! Since their garden in deer fenced, we let Koa RUNNNN all over the huge area. She had so much fun. Fell asleep on the way home.

DH cut more collards and Swiss Chard. I picked a small bag of spinach. After putting four bushel baskets and a bucket into the back of the truck, we crammed all of her pea vines [somewhat dead/dried] into the space up to the topper. That's for the goats. Legume is good nutrition for them so we do this every year. Helps to clean her garden too.

Then came the UNloading at home. Those dried pea vines were alllll over everywhere, of course. Just kept unloading and shaking stuff out. Whisk broom to clean out the debris.

HAVE to cut off the greens from beets and turnips right away....or the root will continue to feed the greens. DH and I were separating the old, yellowed, nasty greens from the younger, edibles. He did beets and I did turnips and the immature rutabagas [season too short for full growth for them]. Cut all but half inch of greens from root. THAT took a while and I didn't even finish the smaller, normal sized turnips. Whole bushel of the root + greens to get to tomorrow.... Washed much of it off with COLD well water. Took some upstairs and some into garage. We've had nighttime temps of 20 degrees for several weeks now. HAD to get stuff under cover. [then take a thorough shower and get supper.....aiieee. A race before I collapsed.

Beets

Beet greens

Turnips

Turnips greens

Few small rutabagas

Few rutabaga greens

Spinach

Swiss chard

Collards

A LOAD of pea vines for goats....who liked the armful we threw to them very much.

MtRider ....blessed greatly....and pass the liniment! :amen::0327::hapydancsmil:

Edited by Mt_Rider

We call that window shopping with a purpose. As topsy turvy as prices are with gas fluctuation right now, it helps to actually know the prices! Plus you can spend time determining whether you really need something that way, instead of impulse buying as soon as the check comes in!

MtRider, I've got a solution for your mouse problem. Our neighborhood stray cat had another litter under my house....5 of the cutest kittens to give away. I'm sure they would be good mousers. Do you want them?

PLEASE,PLEASE

I did a Trade Show yesterday where I gave Reiki treatments to potentially new clients. I had great feedback and feel so good about being able to help people. It was a great day but I need to apply some self control to my shopping.

One Christmas gift to give is off my list, but my gift came early along with the visa bill to prove it.

Lesson learned - don't take your card to town girl, don't take your card to town!

And yes I will pay it today!

MtRider, I've got a solution for your mouse problem. Our neighborhood stray cat had another litter under my house....5 of the cutest kittens to give away. I'm sure they would be good mousers. Do you want them?

PLEASE,PLEASE

Awwwwwww :wub: ....always under your house, huh? :rolleyes:

In the wilds of the Rockies, the predator becomes prey to bigger predators. We have lots of things that eat cats. :( After losing one DEAR cat who was inside except to go out to do her business.....I've kept my next one [her dd] completely inside for the past 14 yrs. We did tame a feral Maine Cook but after a few years, even his canny self must have gone left when he should have dodged right. :(:sad-smiley-012: I still miss him! Once we got the XL dogs [bigDog and now Koa] ....haven't had any more feral cats around. :scratchhead:

I seriously wish we could have an army of cats on rodent patrol! My gardening friend was trying to talk DH into getting a pet snake for ridding our house of mice.

:imoksmiley::runcirclsmiley2::0327::runcirclsmiley2::sassing:

I don't THINK SO!!!!!!!

Although I hate the rodents so bad I actually considered the idea....for about four and a half SECONDS! :wacko:

MtRider ...good luck rehoming them. :wub:

Edited by Mt_Rider

My son decided I needed a cat to replace my Violet, So he got me one 2 years ago. He is a neutered male , needs lots of attention, == But they say cats are like potato chips, you can't have just one.=== So the mamma cat had a litter earlier in the year and the boys talked me into keeping one of the kittens. they just HAD to have him. named him Darrell from a character on the Walking Dead. He's a darling . also needs lots of attention, ===now when I feed them, I know the momma cat is outside and she is hungry, so I feed her, then suddenly all 5 kittens are swarming the feed bowl.--- Now I have 8 cats.===Something has gotta happen here!

I've been canning quite a bit this week. Today I got my firewood supply carried in for winter before it started raining...or snowing. I got my hearth full, didn't drop any on my toes, got no splinters and saw no mice or snakes. It was a good day!

I still have a little more canning to do this week and I need to get plastic on my windows. I also need to take the chairs off of the front porch and store them in the garage. I was going to do that after I got the firewood inside but it's raining now and I don't want to store them away wet, even though they are just plastic.

Rained yesterday so couldn't get any work done in the storage shed shelves at the Roost & MrWE2 needed to work today while the work is there. Did snag a bargain on a Big Buddy heater with hose, regulator, connector and two empty 20# propane tanks! One is none...two is one...and now three! One of the Buddy heaters is a single cannister unit but it will keep 3 rooms "tolerable" in a crisis. It will be our travelling "buddy" if we do some winter camping in Miss B, where we might need emergency heat...like a sudden bug out!?

ps...thought I'd insert some pics of the items we now have in our "crisis management" stuff for this month.

post-9087-0-29287100-1414544377_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-39633900-1414544378_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-66551000-1414544379_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-88785000-1414544380_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-12893700-1414544382_thumb.jpg

post-9087-0-37031600-1414544383_thumb.jpg

Edited by The WE2's

I finally got the smaller turnips [not bowling ball size] topped and scrubbed tonite. Brrr...wet hair and COLD well water.... 40 degree temps near sunset. :frozen: Not the brightest combination but ...well, it just happened while I went down for the laundry. Glad it's done and got turnips in oven for supper. Have actually been catching up just s l o w l y ...... Will be gone tomorrow with my folks. Get to eat out for lunch! :)

Bananas in dehydrator FINALLY dried. <_< Discovered after some hours that the temperature knob had gotten pushed to very low....

Was given a used vacuum sealer.....discovered the hard way about the VACUUM part. Can't just drop steamed beet tops in bag and seal....juice come FLYING out. :wacko: Freeze first?

DH is making bread.... Mmmmm..... Can we just have roasted turnips and fresh bread for supper? :whistling:

MtRider :dusting::dishes::clothesline:

I finally got the smaller turnips [not bowling ball size] topped and scrubbed tonite. Brrr...wet hair and COLD well water.... 40 degree temps near sunset. :frozen: Not the brightest combination but ...well, it just happened while I went down for the laundry. Glad it's done and got turnips in oven for supper. Have actually been catching up just s l o w l y ...... Will be gone tomorrow with my folks. Get to eat out for lunch! :)

Bananas in dehydrator FINALLY dried. <_< Discovered after some hours that the temperature knob had gotten pushed to very low....

Was given a used vacuum sealer.....discovered the hard way about the VACUUM part. Can't just drop steamed beet tops in bag and seal....juice come FLYING out. :wacko: Freeze first?

DH is making bread.... Mmmmm..... Can we just have roasted turnips and fresh bread for supper? :whistling:

MtRider :dusting::dishes::clothesline:

"Flying Beet Juice" ... oh what a mental picture! LOL Yes, you can steam them...but I just put them in a ziplock baggie, zip it just about all the way across then "snap" the little plastic thingy off, press the air out by pressing the baggie, and put in my sealer bag UPSIDE DOWN...and then seal. Works for me. Still chuckling...

Got to Walmart yesterday. :shopping: It's been months and had to pick up the usual necessities like vacuum bags, toothpaste, etc. Found $1/lb apples....been WAITING for them to drop in price. Have missed apples. Have no idea what kind they are...but are good. Out of Washington. Found a simple Christmas gift for each of my DGrsons.

Also got more prep related items like:

25# flour

gal. cooking oil

BIG box of fire starter sticks [for pellet stove but useful for any fire]

6 reader glasses in 2 different strengths [near reading and mid-range]

90% iso____ alcohol for the T.P.-roll-in-can expedient heater

etc....

How's this for being prepared...... Since I may not be back to Walmart or anywhere for a couple months, I got to their greeting card aisle and found cards for 99 cents and 49 cents. Found great simple ones for EVERYONE'S B--day thru the end of 2014. :hapydancsmil: ....including one happening today. :bdaycake:

My favorite says..... "Admitting your REAL AGE? What HONESTY! What COURAGE! ..........(inside) What a MEMORY! :lol:

MtRider .....got a couple of THAT card.... :whistling:

This week and next week is my time to can. It has proved to solidify what I already knew and forgot. That is that I'm too old for marathon canning. It's taking me twice as long as it used to and there isn't any part of me that doesn't hurt. And hurt badly. If I stop now I'll never start up again so I'm plowing through my list of 'must haves'. My feet, legs, back, arms, shoulders and neck are killing me. I'm sitting down with a heating pad on full blast between canner loads. I know I'll be so glad this winter but right now that hissing canner is getting on my last nerve. And...I'm getting a headache.

Ew, a fly just landed beside me. It's a big old slow half dead one. The strange thing is that it has gray all over it's back. Kinda like dappled. I've never seen that before.

Must be an old horse fly. Gray. Dappled. Horse. Fly.

I crack myself up sometimes. I'm so easily entertained. And I wonder why I'm still single. :icon19:

Know what ya mean Jeeps...just preparing the food is hard on the feet, knees, hips and back. I'm not doing any canning this fall or winter. Went back to my beginning solutions for preps :-) Decided it was "crisis management" that the WE2's are most concerned about. We know how to garden, we know how to can (even if using propane or wood) and we know how to deydrate (even if using a home built dryer). In our area Aldi's and $Tree give us tons more food for much less money and "survival" is our name of the game...so no takeoffs on "healthy" OK? We'll be stashing propane, kerosene and looking for ways to add solar power of some sort at the Roost. Our dollars (like most seniors) is limited so we do what we think will work for us. And right now, canning doesn't :-)

Welp, paid all my bills , went to order prime pantry items .... as part of my monthly groceries. .... first time placing an order button didn't work......... several times, so I contacted them and they called me....... had one box with too heavy a weight..... hmmm, umm.....ok.... deleted cat litter and a few other things, it was squirrely as the order shifted around on their site pages...... .... ok.... finally done. I think. :imoksmiley:

Some of the stuff is convenient enough to stick in BOB if I really have to, lol. Also ordered olive oil for a reasonable price in the can.... which is sturdier than plastic or glass bottles at least. Most of it just goes in pantry for monthly eating but I am seeing I am not consuming it so it is slowly going to add up and extend ability to keep eating in case of crisis.... :cheer::coffeescreen::thumbs:

Oh, and ordered my other needed skein of amazing yarn ( lion brand) , color aurora for my kerchief with Icord ties I can knit up... it needed two and a kerchief can be a handy clothing items, warm but not too warm , can shield ears , nose and mouth as well in bad winds / chill, dust conditions. And finally ( LIFESTRAW) for instant water, cause there is water every where around me but this is the fastest way to filter it to drink / purify out bacteria. Easy to stick in BOB and LEAVE IT THERE. I have wanted one of those since I first saw them.

Got my Socks A La Carte book finally , oh, it's a lovely standard book...... on socks and is cool how it shows you how to combine stuff to make cool socks with very little. Different cuffs , body of socks, feet area around insole , heels and toes.... there are about 20 each ideas and patterns are simple to read........ kudos to the writers of this book ! It even has toe socks and socks for flip flops or sandals. ( This was one of my orders from last month but it took all month to get to me) ... yep, good hardbound addition to sock instructions!

All week has been busy. Put hatch covers (new ones, insulated with wind-stopping gaskets) on my louvered windows for winter and painted those; cleaned & painted window trim (had to, it looked tacky after new hatch covers were painted), then cleaned out gutters and painted them, too. Place looks real pretty, neighbors keep complimenting us. Cleared out the remaining garden (green tomatoes downstairs, cabbages & green peppers inside, too) and tilled it up. Raked a nice leaf cover over it, raked remaining leaves (lots, we have mature trees) into gutter for city truck pickup on Nov 4th. THEN winterized the RV, and the neighbor saw us working outside, so he came over with his gas operated wood splitter, and we split all the wood we hauled home this spring - another 2 cords - and told neighbor about the correspondence trapper training course we were taking. It turned out, he was thinking about taking a trapping class too, and the closest classroom class is 140 miles away, so he was happy to know about the correspondence one.... THEN he offered to give us some traps he had 'up north' from his dad, and we accepted, and offered to give him 1 of the cords of wood he helped us split last autumn. Its nice & dry now, and they burn wood in their home heat system. He also brought us another pint jar of honey that he extracted this last weekend up north and we talked about beekeeping (my parents kept them for decades) and we gifted him with 4 2-inch thick salmon steaks in return. (Gotta love that backyard bartering!) This afternoon we went grocery shopping for chicken ($1 a pound for thighs & drumsticks and for whole fryers, too...cheap for this area) so tomorrow while it rains I will be skinning chicken for the freezer, while waiting for the clothes washer to do it's thing with laundry. We will roast the whole chicken for dinner tomorrow; it will go good with stuffing from the croutons I toasted & dried back when the bread was 50 cents a loaf (did 12 loaves). When I thought I would be bored after retiring I was definitely mistaken...!

Bobs Red Mill Steel Cut Oats.......... for those of us who shouldn't be eating Instant Oatmeal or Quick Oatmeal, Gluten Free 32. 0z. package, 2 lbs.... 6. 82 with Amazon Prime. Believe me I cannot touch that for that price in this town and they only sell the 1 lb packages if at all at our little market. For more money!

I plan to repackage in vacuum sealed bags which are for cooking amounts per recipe, and for individual usage so I can grab a sealed bag or more and put in BOB if needed. One thing I have around me is wood, even wood like birch that will burn when wet , and lots and lots of water and I usually do have the time to cook it.... so some is for preps, and some is for my in use pantry situation every month.

It is supposed to be much better than Instant Oatmeal for diabetic usage and it has nutrients again....... in this form of oats. It just takes different cooking times than we might be used to. One can also use it to make oatcakes that are portable, once a day over a fire. Put some in muffins, etc. It can be ground for finer flour needs as well, finer oatmeal bits that may cook up faster ? Without all the junk and sugar that comes in Instant oatmeal packets.

So I did include one pkg. in my order yesterday. I am eager to explore a bit to find stuff I can make with it .

One thing I looked up this week, was what an Atmospheric Water Generator , which runs off electricity but simple units are like portable air conditioners, cost about 2000$ with tax I would guess at amazon.. larger more capable units are much more ...... and it's nice if you have a bunker / underground home or something some place with about 35% humidity, this smaller unit produces 8 gals per day, of fresh purified water , even chemicals in air are filtered out and bacteria , etc.....

worth looking up if you can afford the investment..... or you live in the desert but still would have electricity, say solar run situation....or it would take 1000' ft deep well and the cost for that is prohibitive.

Edited by sassenach