MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

ok, Lifestraw ( BOB gear for immediate water filtering) and Glucose Test Strips, which adds back up to a month ahead..... slowly, if I can keep getting good deals, I can accumilate more. STill , primary prep is finding out what different foods do to my blood sugar and trying to have the best available over all, since I do not run such high numbers in the first place... at this point in my life. However, it is important to test even if I feel that is generally doing well, to make sure I am not going further into insulin resistant state....... which is the body doing what its doing, not about diet only..... or my pancreas stops producing enough insulin and then I would need it to survive with.....

The package has arrived at my post office and now I can go get it on my walk. :D

Edited by sassenach
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, with temps dropping at night and lovely daytime climate, DH and I are trying to get prepped for WINTER. :frozen: Called for repair from the owners....outside water spigot wouldn't shut off...dribbling down wall. Also the stairs are getting pretty spongy. Needs a few new boards but also concern with whole structural integrity. So that is in motion to be repaired during these nice days. I THINK the pellet stove is running well again...[but if we were owners, we'd opt for a wood-burning insert].

Fewer goats is really making a positive difference. I'm glad I gave half of them away. Hope I can arrange for a breeding in a month or two.

Making headway in processing turnips/beets/greens.....still more to go. Eating hearty right now. :yum3::amen:

Set water tank for horses but haven't plugged in heater yet. DH cleaned out duckhouse....pond still open but soon they'll be full time in duckhouse and yard. Have two large buckets of duck eggs in waterglass....cuz they aren't laying well now.

Couldn't remember WHERE I put the Buddy Heater....but found it! Need to put bubble wrap on most windows.

MtRider ....Winter cometh..... :frozen:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Got my lifestraw in my BOB now. It has a cord to hang around your neck but I am short coupled, it seems sturdy enough to last bumping around in my pack. Perfect item to quickly knit a drawstring bag for with cotton yarn, just in a constrasting color that can be seen in the dark. I do carry a water bottle , but this is handy for quick thirst needs and if you don't have time to boil some up to refill bottle for whatever reason. There is water within walking distance , short distances most of the time , around me most places I go. So , this actually is in my daily day pack from now on. Plus I know where the heck it is......... thinking I just need to stick a couple chemlights in the knit bag as well, because I tend to misplace my flashlights..... putting them 'in a good place' to find when needed...........ummm, right...... you may not realize how pitch dark it can be if I get stuck walking home if I miss a bus here on these roads....... having that chem light is an excellent lightway, thrifty way to have some light to walk by and if someone does drive by, they are likely to make sure they miss you, even if they don't stop . Chem lights last a long time. Hours. Enough to walk by the road and get home.

It would probably freak a driver out, some one using a chem light on a misty night...... lol....

Edited by sassenach

hmm speaking of emergency lighting for walking in the dark, etc........ decided to order one box , its 10 ea. green chem lights. 12 hr duration. Be here Thursday.

That is about what I can squeeze out of prep budget other than what I can dehydrate and what ends of left over in the cupboards out of food purchases this month. Cause I only had three.... sigh. Candles don't work in a breeze, lol. If they sold them in town, I would have been able to get more , more often already. <_<

Did a practice run on our preps for winter. The kids and I went totally off the grid from Thursday morning til mid morning Monday. We had strong winds,snow flurries,cold rain, temperatures below freezing at night.we got a little chilly, but all in all pretty comfortable. So now to add back to stock what we used. lol.have purhased some of the battery operated christmas candles with packd of batteries to go with them. will also be investing in another kerosene heater or a mr. buddyheater.

Truckersgal, I'm thinking about getting a kerosene heater. Trouble is, I'm running out of storage room. We used one all the time when we were in Japan and it was really nice. I'm a little uncomfortable with being hooked up to a propane tank. I know, I know....it's safe but I'm just more used to filling up a kerosene tank and that's the end of it. That is more in my comfort zone just because that's what I'm used to.

Also, last week I was watching a home improvement show (Renovation Realities) and one to their heaters caught on fire in the garage that was hooked up to a propane tank and the guys had to really hustle to get the heater and tank outside. And then they had to shut off the tank while the heater was flaming. I'm not sure what kind of propane heater it was. It had a flat front with three round heating elements. One of the elements caught on fire.

Kerosene is expensive here too. I couldn't afford to use it often but for emergencies it would probably do better than my fireplace.

My fireplace has an insert and a blower and it still doesn't put out a lot of heat. At least not like I think it should. It works pretty well with the furnace on but that sort of defeats the purpose of emergency heat. I need a smaller house.

Got an order of math workbooks. The program we use has text books and workbooks (both necessary). I try and keep an unused workbook on the shelf for each level so that if something happens we have options for using them without using them up. But until that time it's much easier to just use the workbooks. I was behind in keeping one on hand so I just got an order that is what we need for the rest of the year (2 a year) plus the extra on the shelf.

Did a practice run on our preps for winter. The kids and I went totally off the grid from Thursday morning til mid morning Monday. We had strong winds,snow flurries,cold rain, temperatures below freezing at night.we got a little chilly, but all in all pretty comfortable. So now to add back to stock what we used. lol.have purhased some of the battery operated christmas candles with packd of batteries to go with them. will also be investing in another kerosene heater or a mr. buddyheater.

You may want to look at LED "work lights", they are very economical & most have hooks and magnets that you can hang on door knobs or stick on your frig. We love 'em!

Canned vegetables on sale here again for 39 cents a can. Got a few more cases since I have plenty of room in the basement (and made a little side money on Tuesday which paid for them)

I'm hoping for a good tuna and salmon sale soon since my supplies are low.

Received groceries and monthly plus basic cat food and litter in the past two days, got the box with the chem lights... 12 hour type , green tone, and box's cover seam is popped, just in front, but it was enough that someone packing the box or in the warehouse, slid out one of the mylar packed chem lights but left all 9 others in the 10 box. .... they seem ok...

One caution, may want to ask prime pantry packing personnel to NOT put Red Mill Products in with canned goods that can shift ..... 2 lb bag of steel cut oats ( up to 20 min cook time) , popped open during transit or finishing packing if they use a mechanical roller in the box closure process , and about 3 cups was in the box itself when I opened it......... wheeeeeeeeeee cried the oats as they popped and flowed... ) Luckily the box is brand new and dust free as much as they can be. ) Now repackaged in to coffee container, labelled on cooking instructions since it is NOT Instant Oatmeal type Oats.....

Went ahead and ordered credit card tool...... finally saw the diagram that explains what all the 'holes' do. Very handy and made of steel...... Might be able to get away with that carrying around and just handy enough for minor whittling , which is what I need in case I get stuck over night some place outside . I can manage with that..... assorted abilities, great wallet idea.

I don't fly so I don't have to worry about TSA, but I bet one of them would swipe it and use it themselves anyway if they were inspecting your stuff and saw it, even if it might be allowed. Maybe these days they are not so stringent but since I don't fly, I thought this a good sturdy compromise to eliminate fear and I always have my wallet if I am gone from my place.

I did learn that even a folded pocket knife can be considered concealed weapon status in the state of NY... but one in its keeper on your belt, is ok..... not questioned. The designating of concealed weapon is evidently up to the discretion of the LEO who is dealing with you at the moment, however , most of the time , I just try for legal style and length of blade. So many of the darn manufactured blades actually are too long by one quarter inch for overall length..... [ I am like , REALLY???] when I see that.... nothing like NY state laws to be a royal pain..... ( Oh and all of far upstate NY is now R ( Red) on the political maps). I AM SO Proud. LOL, we are strongly discontent with our state politicians that remained, but proud of a couple new folks, Elected...one very good young lady, and one Iraq war vet who is interested in helping veterans regarding ptsd and mh needs, and believe me it really badly needs updating for all veterans. Not the usual angry libtard types or commies.. so, maybe we can eventually get the whole state on track but the old guard is still entrenched ... ah well. Still, awareness of whats going in that way was also important because it was turning really awful for a long while. Knowing there is potential for some of this stuff to be corrected with wisdom and actual work in the trenches on that level , helps emotional hope anyway, and that is part of prepping. You have to understand those in power in your region, when things get squirrely.

So.... credit card steel made knife should be here soon, it was less than 2 bucks at amazon. ;)

Working on BOB stuff today and sorting things, maybe straightening up some other stuff... makes it quicker to find stuff? Safer walking around, etc, in this tiny place. Already got a plastic container set up , boullion jar set up with some instant coffee, which I had to order .... 4 $ cheaper at amazon prime than my store for the same jar, so it was worth it.

Edited by sassenach

One thing I looked up this week, was what an Atmospheric Water Generator , which runs off electricity but simple units are like portable air conditioners, cost about 2000$ with tax I would guess at amazon.. larger more capable units are much more ...... and it's nice if you have a bunker / underground home or something some place with about 35% humidity, this smaller unit produces 8 gals per day, of fresh purified water , even chemicals in air are filtered out and bacteria , etc.....

worth looking up if you can afford the investment..... or you live in the desert but still would have electricity, say solar run situation....or it would take 1000' ft deep well and the cost for that is prohibitive

That's interesting. We usually run 80-99% humidity, and sometimes find ourselves running the central air conditioner plus window units to get relief from the humidity--i.e., bringing it down to 60% or so.

yes, honestly if I had a home of my own, I would invest in one. With solar unit to run it in case grid goes down, but also to use daily in warm months as our water supply is messed up with plant growth/algae of some sort in the big lake here. We have to boil all consumed water . Actually my little town doesn't have the issue I guess, but I boil my drinking water anyway most months of the year. It would be nice to produce my own drinking water where I did not feel I had to. But it is quite the investment compared to what I generally can do these days.

Still working on learning to knit. Still mulling a pair of GHB, get-home-britches. Tried on two sets of suspenders, and concluded that with my build, I need to wear suspenders backward.

Today is another day doing work here at home. The weather is very breezy so even though it's sunny & 50 it will still put a chill on your body :-( MrWE2 is still working to get the soffit, facia & guttering repaired before it turns off too cold for him to work outside. There won't be any work next week when the outside temps are barely in the 30's since pastor friend needs to work with him outside, and we're doubting he'll want to do that :-) We'll probably head back to the Roost, put the Little Buddy heater inside the old Tioga and resume stripping stuff out. I'll take my crochet "jug" and stay mostly inside the Roost. In case you're wondering what my crochet "jug" is ... I take my skein of yard, drop it down inside my glass gallon jar and it keeps my yarn from rolling around etc. I also put a band of single crochet "thread" around the lid area, tie it in a bow and that's where I stick my current hook :-) Then I just lay my crochet project on top of my crochet basket and it's all ready for whenever I'm ready. But...the jar just works for me instead of carrying a whole basket full of my supplies etc.

Started new accounts at local credit union and will have to wait up to two months for direct deposit to change over, so I am not done with previous account yet with an out of town bank. But it will be better since I can get online with them and transfer money from checking to savings and also walk up and use the ATM at that location in town and save myself money on fees.

Started new accounts at local credit union and will have to wait up to two months for direct deposit to change over, so I am not done with previous account yet with an out of town bank. But it will be better since I can get online with them and transfer money from checking to savings and also walk up and use the ATM at that location in town and save myself money on fees.

Wouldn't bank any place else but with our credit union :-)

Took a day trip in Miss B to the City (LOL) to pick up some of blood clotting meds that we use for Abby when we trim her nails and perhaps get a bit close...but mostly for us :-) It was funny really, when we walked in we ask the groomer at PetCo where the blood clotting powders were. She took us to the aisle & showed us two different brands. When we read the labels, no benzocaine. I told her "I've bought the PetCo brand here so I'm sure you carry it". She kept looking and sure enough they had three left, but they were totally on the other side of aisle...figure? Anyway when we explained that the benzocaine had a pain reliever in it she was astounded. I'm sure she was disappointed that we bought the last 3 boxes/containers and said "I'm going to remember this. I've been using one of these others". :-) Then went to CargoLargo and picked up lots of goodies. Some small wire brushes for MrWE2 to clean parts etc., three large wire brushes for cleaning oven & grill grates etc., a half dozen LED light bulbs for $7 each!!!! That will make such a big dent in the electricity here :-) We've already managed to trim about $200 from this years light bill as compared to last year. Forgot just what all, but lots of needed stuff. Also stopped at Half Price Books and MrWE2 picked up some books he wanted at half price plus a 20% discount, some on building solar etc. We've pretty much decided that when we get this house sold, that if we have the funds, we'll build an earth contact home that's solar powered with wood & propane as backup. MrWE2 has already drawn out the floor plan to scale and will start actually putting together the blueprints he'll need when the time comes. It's so nice to always keep dreams in front of you :-)

Maybe this don't go here, I don't know.

I made my first batch of bar soap today. I made a pine tar mix that hopefully will stop my head from itching, I don't have dandruff or anything like that, it just itches. So tomorrow I will take it out of the mold and see how it comes out.

:wormie2:

John

Maybe this don't go here, I don't know.

I made my first batch of bar soap today. I made a pine tar mix that hopefully will stop my head from itching, I don't have dandruff or anything like that, it just itches. So tomorrow I will take it out of the mold and see how it comes out.

:wormie2:

John

When my first husband passed, my hair fell out in chunks (alopacia) and left bald spots and when it came back in it was snow white and wouldn't take color. After about 1 year or so, if finally grew back in...but, I used pine tar shampoo on my hair during that whole time and still, every once in awhile I'll grab my pine tar soap and just use it on my hair. It's wonderful stuff!

Did our lay aways these past 2 or 3 days, so we're good to go:-) Gonna go dancing tonight & then tomorrow night (unless the snow ends up being absolutely prohibitive) we're going to the Moose with our costume winner's certificate for our free chicken dinner and free dance admission :-) The forecast is for 1-3 but very often we're just far enough south of the "big city line" that we don't get the actual forecast. OK with us :-)

Doing ok here, starting to flurry during the day... got the yarn to finish my scarf and there may be enough to do a hat with that same yarn. Also received a gift box of dpn, circular and straight needles and cable needles and thingies you use while knitting, that will help me actually do two socks at a time, which makes it a lot easier to match them up better, as you go along. Also can start some afghan squares ( sampler of stitch work , knitted ) as well with some stash yarn that was also gifted to me and I need blankies for my bed, big time anyway..... so lots to knit as the weeks go by, all basically preps just to keep warm and made durably to last a long time.

Working on decluttering slowly, so it goes. Do a little every day or so and it is making a dent now. :) Found a clothes box to donate stuff out of closet, and since I have lost so much weight, its best to do that.

Yea Wormie. Learning and making soap is a prep I wanna do too! Too bad I was absent for class that day. :yar:

MtRider ......does sleeping 8.5 hrs solid last nite AND taking a 2 hour nap to day count a prep for the next storm coming? :0327: