MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

YEP! I am still dealing with darn allergies and a runny nose from that , took some benydryl once this week and boy, howdie, had to take a two hour nap at least once it hit. Drives me nuts. Keeping tp roll by my side here, at least I can stay awake to do stuff.

But I bet that wore you out.

The sudden change in temps from the high 40's and 50's to half 50 is making me burn more calories and use up what little carbs I am eating, so I am cooking up sausage and gravy and going to have that with one good biscuit tonight.

( was visiting friends down the street during my usual dinner time) .

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learning to make soap is definitely a prep. Gotta admire a man who plays with lye! :D

:thumbs:

We got our hunting licenses. :hapydancsmil: The cost of meat is staggering. :0327:

Wrapped our beehive with straw bales. At least "I" feel warmer. :cele:

I need more room in my freezer to sort and organize. I've got it all inventoried, but not its location. :blush:

I pulled out a bunch of chicken and canned it yesterday. It's nice to have meat and broth on the shelf rather than frozen chunks. :thumbs:

I pulled out a bunch of chicken and canned it yesterday. It's nice to have meat and broth on the shelf rather than frozen chunks. :thumbs:

^SNIP^

And they are purdy to look at! I feel even more secure when I see those jars of food lined up and know that even if the grid were to go down (even temporarily) that food will last a long time. Knowing what you put in those jars and that it's clean is a big plus too. :yum3:

LOL< Mt Rider, I can go collect a whole dollar on that lottery ticket , as I had the qp number actually...... looked on lottery site and found out how it works. If you ever get at least 3 numbers, there is something you can collect btw... some of it can be pretty good cash.

I have conveniently passing on older relatives who give the characters in the stories their 'inheritance' privately in some manner , so they have their coin for the time travel , to the era they go, where hard coin was worth using.

Edited by sassenach

Made a grocery run in the rain and cold early today. Got tons more canned veggies at 3/1$. Also scored butter for 2.25$ a pound so I bought 18 pounds. Got a total of 3 marked down day old boneless pork roasts. No good deals on turkey yet! Only 1 store around here has had a special for 59 cents a pound but it was good yesterday only and I didn't want to make a special trip for just one thing. Gotta keep the cost of gas in mind.

Found out my DIL is pregnant, 8 weeks, and sonogram is fine. DS is delighted but she is having massive all day long morning sickness. So.... preps...... thinking for now I have time to knit baby blankets and wondering if there is cotton and bamboo yarn that is soft enough for baby stuff... I know there is good cotton , and am concerned acrylic baby yarn may mold up ? DS was telling me all his ball caps are ruined from mold situation there in Hawaii. Mt Rider, you would know, right? The baby, if all succeeds is due next June 25th.

I broke down and bought a small Buddy Heater. I'm comfortable using the small propane canisters. If it starts to look, smell or act funny I can pick the whole thing up and chuck it out the back door. Let the neighbors deal with it. I don't like them anyway. :24:

LOL, Jeepers, that is my thought. I may get one this coming month...... and some more cannisters for just in case........ at least I have a dirt parking lot I can throw mine at , lol. It may just be needed this winter.

LOL @ Jeepers. I've had a Buddy [single] for a number of years and other than testing it to know how to use it, that's the only time my bit of 'insurance' has been lit.

Sass.....lemme ask the 'kids'. I know there is a lot of salt in the air and the older cars look like Mpls after years of salting the streets for snow/ice. The humidity is high, depending on how much breeze you get. Acrylic might not 'breathe' as well and be uncomfortable.

MtRider ....just getting by in beyond-normal frigid weather... :frozen:

Just finished knitting my scarf and need to weave in the ends. Then block it. I am thinking of adding an ICord tie for it, since it is short how I wanted it, and need to go look up how to do and I Cord .

Knitting I Cord is handy if you need cordage by the way, of any substance thin enough and flexible enough to work with knitting needles. It is also good for cuff on socks or any edging.

I don't think I need a long scarf, it just gets in the way in the wind and with all the bulky winter clothing. This can go around my neck, and be tucked in under my jacket but there are times where I won't zip up my jacket, and the I Cord will keep the scarf on my neck but be able to be quickly released to take it off.

:D

It feels soft, not itchy, and warm on my neck now.

I broke down and bought a small Buddy Heater. I'm comfortable using the small propane canisters. If it starts to look, smell or act funny I can pick the whole thing up and chuck it out the back door. Let the neighbors deal with it. I don't like them anyway. :24:

We love ours, both of them :-) We have the small one that uses only one canister and then the big one that can use either two canisters (one on each side) or hooked up to a 20# tank (which it currently is). As mentioned some time ago, we also bought the new Remington propane heater that is already set up for a 20# tank. The small Buddy works great in either of our campers (we do crack a window though just to be on the safe side). When MrWE2 worked cleaning out abandoned houses, he used the Buddy in a bedroom (or bathroom?) as a "warm room" for himself and his help. When they got to feeling too cold, they could step in there and sit on a chair in front of it & get warmed back up. I'm glad you've got something to protect yourself from the cold in an emergency.

ps...some friends of ours are tent campers and they have used a Buddy to keep their tent warm for years.

Edited by The WE2's

Went to the Roost to check on things & to return/checkout books at the library there. Then went to one of our favorite "plain people" stores and spent more than we should have (again...sigh) but just had to. Got a couple of bars of pine tar soap, a bar of lavender soap, a bar of "repellent soap" (you leave it on you), and three bottles of Castille liquid soap (1 with tea tree oil, 1 with lavender & one with peppermint), 4 gallon glass jars with the self sealing lids...made myself a cookie jar and a granola jar. Also have two extra's that I intend to put my corn meal and flour in...not long term storage, but for here where I cook with it often. Also picked up 4 extra gallon size self-seal lids plus a dozen more of the quart size. I just love these things for storing food in the frig :-) Last time we camped I cooked up my hamburger (for chili) before we left, drained it & put it in one of my quart jars with a self-seal and it was a good thing! When we got to the campground all the electric sites were taken and we had to boondock. Was nice to have my meat already browned & seasoned. Just put it in a pot and started adding my stuff (didn't have to use much propane on the stove top). I'm sure there were some other "goodies" in our box that I'm forgetting to mention, but you know how that goes... :D

Edited by The WE2's

Amber...I managed to get 96 rolls in an 18 gallon tote. That's about an 8 month supply for us. Flattened and squished them... I know some people take out the tubes but that seems like a lot of work.