MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THIS WEEK TO PREPARE? PART 43

We have a 33 gallon heavy duty trash container with a flat lid snap on lid (it needs to be flat) and we mash the rolls as flat as we can and put them in this container. We have about 80 or so and it's still got lots of room for perhaps another 30-40 or so. The reason we use the flat lids is because we can drap a table cloth over it & place pictures (?) on top and it looks like a table, or we can stack other containers like it on top. We also have two of the same kind that have four sleeping bags inside and they sit on top of each other in our enclosed porch at the Roost. We also have several of these same containers with cheapy dog food, livestock corn, beans, rice etc. in them. We leave them in the store bags, but sprinkle DE in the bottom of the container, put in the bag, sprinkle DE on top of the bag, snap on the lid and then sprinkle DE on the lids. Just what we do....

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Daisy :hi:

WELCOME!

I flattened my t.p. and stored them in totes too. They will probably never work on a roller now. Not a big problem in the whole scheme of things though! I forget about vacuum sealing some of the stuff I have here other than food items. I could do toothbrushes, dental floss and a bunch of other things that won't go bad but would benefit from dust/moisture protection.

Thanks for the nudge, Ambergris. Little reminders like that are always helpful.

I don't know if this is a real prep but I did get my Jeep in tip top shape this week. For the first time since I've had it (8 years) I got all of the fluids changed and everything cleaned up. My brakes, tires and battery are like new so that was good. I do get the oil changed twice a year; summer and winter. That's enough for the amount of driving I do. I go by the mileage not the date. This week I got the oil changed, oil filter changed, air filter changed, hinges oiled, one burned out light changed, transmission fluid changed, brake fluid changed, antifreeze changed, something that looked like a IV bag hanging from the hood (can't remember what it was), new windshield wipers, windshield washer fluid topped off and something about a differential and something about blowing out the carburetor. It should be good for another 8-10 years except for oil changes and the air filter. Then I took it to the carwash and vacuumed it out and washed it. I brought it home and put down a fluffy type mat over the rubber one to soak up the slush that I know is coming and put on new seat covers. Filled up the gas tank and parked it. Now I don't want to drive it because I want everything to stay new. :rolleyes:

I may not have needed everything right now but I know it was coming and living alone with one car to rely on, I figured I'd get it all done now while I had the money and before I broke down somewhere or caused more damage by ignoring something. I did that once with my brakes. I let it go too long and then had to get new rotors and stuff instead of just new brake pads. Oh, and I had a new hitch put on for free as part of a recall a few weeks ago. It's a 2005 Liberty and still has no rust but one little parking lot ding. I have about 64,000 miles on it and didn't get it new so that's not too bad. And it’s paid for. I really love my Jeep and plan to keep it as long as I can keep it in good condition.

Pumpkin...... some of you may have seen the website

showing to put the whole pumpkin in the oven and bake it.

I tried it and I was extremely unhappy with the end result.

I had three pumpkins to do and I feel that i wasted far too much

and that the end result was stringy.

No one has ever accused me of being lazy but that idea is a lazy idea!!

To cut the pumpkin in half and clean it is a lot quicker and less messy.

Anyway I got my pumpkins done all but the baking....................

I don't know if this is a real prep but I did get my Jeep in tip top shape this week. For the first time since I've had it (8 years) I got all of the fluids changed and everything cleaned up. My brakes, tires and battery are like new so that was good. I do get the oil changed twice a year; summer and winter. That's enough for the amount of driving I do. I go by the mileage not the date. This week I got the oil changed, oil filter changed, air filter changed, hinges oiled, one burned out light changed, transmission fluid changed, brake fluid changed, antifreeze changed, something that looked like a IV bag hanging from the hood (can't remember what it was), new windshield wipers, windshield washer fluid topped off and something about a differential and something about blowing out the carburetor. It should be good for another 8-10 years except for oil changes and the air filter. Then I took it to the carwash and vacuumed it out and washed it. I brought it home and put down a fluffy type mat over the rubber one to soak up the slush that I know is coming and put on new seat covers. Filled up the gas tank and parked it. Now I don't want to drive it because I want everything to stay new. :rolleyes:

I may not have needed everything right now but I know it was coming and living alone with one car to rely on, I figured I'd get it all done now while I had the money and before I broke down somewhere or caused more damage by ignoring something. I did that once with my brakes. I let it go too long and then had to get new rotors and stuff instead of just new brake pads. Oh, and I had a new hitch put on for free as part of a recall a few weeks ago. It's a 2005 Liberty and still has no rust but one little parking lot ding. I have about 64,000 miles on it and didn't get it new so that's not too bad. And it’s paid for. I really love my Jeep and plan to keep it as long as I can keep it in good condition.

Keeping our vehicles in tip top shape and fueled up is a MAIN prep girlfriend :-)

Several days ago my van wouldn't start....and it wouldn't take a charge when DH got home to jump it in the COLD&DARK. :scratchhead: Hmph! Today we FINALLY had a chance to work old bolts and nuts and get the battery out of there! Were afraid it was going to freeze up with no charge in it. Only that ominous.. "click" when you turn the key.

THEN I spent quality time practically standing on my head to view all the "automotive&tool" shelving....looking for the trickle battery charger. Whoa...it might have been ten years since we've used it. [that's the good news of the story!] Anyway, I finally spotted it ....and cleared a way to reach it.... {have I mentioned how tiny our house is and how tiny the 'garage/basement/laundry/animal-feed-storage' space is? } Well in the same box as the charger, I found two hand drills.....and since disorganization rather drives me crazy, I found the hand brace [drill] which was larger and a chest brace which was the largest we have. Now the four hand drills are all together....and I tossed in all the smaller hand saws [key hole saws, hack saw, blades, etc] all together in the same box. There is even space now on the shelf for the charger when we're done with it.

And I'm just ITCHING to get in there with a couple days of good energy and straighten out that mess! Also brace up that shelving before the whole business comes crashing down. :sigh: "Couple days of good energy"? :008Laughing::24::grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: Ain't gonna happen.

Tried to renew my ...... :ashamed0002: overdue ....ooops.....driver's license via Internet today. But because I've renewed it that way the past two times so I'll have to spend over a hour driving into the village to do it. They require a new picture. Then another hour back home. Oddly, my mother just did the same thing {which is why I thought to check my license!}.....so at least they can tell us where the office is located. :sassing: Mebbe I can do something else while I'm 'in town'? ..... :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: :grinning-smiley-044: {see above comment about energy}

We had one more thing to do today.... :yar: I'll put that in Country forum.

MtRider :0327: Dunno why just a few things have both of us flattened with fatigue. Sleep has been an issue lately....or, lack thereof. :imoksmiley:

Edited by Mt_Rider

I'm always careful to keep my driver's license and tags up to date. Here they charge $20.00 for each if they are even a day late. :buttercup:

I'm not sure how long driver's license can be expired before we have to take a new written or driving test. With my short memory I 'might' have problems remembering some of those questions. Last time I took the written test they asked about how many inches of tire tread you must have on your tires and some other question about distance. If I have to parallel park...well, lets just say I'll be parked permanently.

Preparing now for Christmas gifts to a couple of our closest friends. I just finished a very pretty white poncho for her and stitched in three gold metallic bows (tiny ones) on the right chest area near the neckline. I'm going to do a neck scarf for him. then we're making another trip to one of our favorite "plain people" stores to buy them each a bottle of liquid Castille Soap w/Peppermint. I love liquid Castille soap. I just bought some more, bigger bottles for here because I was down to one very small bottle of the peppermint. I love it as a face wash :-) Also bought some w/Tea Tree and it's great for my hair (and I rinse with diluted apple cider vinegar) and another bottle w/lavender. When dollars are tight I try to make as many gifts as I can and then add some little "extra" in their gift bag :-) so I start early. Mother's so picky I'm not sure what I do there, and son is always tickled with anything we gift to him...especially money :-)

Took Miss B on a Day Trip today because MrWE2 found a pair of pretty new snow shoes on Craigs List that we could stretch our dollars for. His other pair broke their strappings and we haven't found a shoe repair shop that might be able to make new ones. Then stopped at Cabela's for their continued Black Friday Sale, and used our points plus $14 to buy me two more sets of insulated underwear (NOT cotton!), and had hoped to pick up some replacement "snow baskets" for our hiking/snow shoe poles but they didn't carry them, and then to Harbor Freight for their after Friday sale and picked up two more tarps (for emergencies), some epoxy (MrWE2 broke a piece on the treadmill when moving it) to repair the treadmill, and a few other cheapy things. Then stopped at Bass Pro hoping to find the snow baskets, to no avail. Guess we'll try Amazon. Stopped at Steak-N-Shake for their $4 burger & fries and we shared...makes it easy on the cook! LOL We at our lunch in Miss B. Soooo nice to kick back and eat lunch when on the road and having my own potty spot! Since she's winterized we took a laundry jug that we've altered the top on, and I used my Go-Girl. Love that silly thing! Looked at them at Cabela's but they don't have them any more, they carry a larger type that's not nearly as nice. Looked at them at Bass Pro and the Go-Girl is now $12.99 instead of $9.99. Glad I bought three when I did! LOL One for the travel trailer, one for MissB and one for here at the home if we take off in the truck.

Got some hair cutting scissors and a general comb pack , with two hair cutting combs, a mirror that stands alone and adjusts which is what I must use because my bathroom has terrible lighting. Got a small metal case flashlight with a cheap LED headlamp , batteries for them, AAA type. Don't care for head strap , but that could be fixed later with some narrow strapping, and for now, the small flashlight is on my key chain connection on my day pack so it is with me. It is nice and bright and it gets dark early. The headlamp is hanging on my floor lamp, lol, also ready to use at a moments notice. A small mag light flashlight is also on my tray table I put my laptop on. Got a cheap box cutter to also keep handy since I get a lot of boxes to cut up and a knife works but it really over does the use of my hands especially when the cardboard is high quality.

Got a new pocket wallet and some lightweight flannel pants and one shirt , grey tones all, for hanging out at home with.

I got a bathroom scale too. I have now lost :cheer: 25 :cheer: pounds :cheer: since June. Is that two whole pants sizes yet? Well if I can fit comfortably in the medium pants I bought, that should indicate it.

I need to lose 7 to 15 pounds more and I will be just fine for my medium bones and figure. :hapydancsmil::bounce::cheer: The 15 would put me at my muscular high school and navy weight. High end for my height, which is basically normal for anyone not dying to be Twiggy ....

I am starting to look much better and now walking more. Today was a good walk. Hauling stuff home from the store, a good mile round trip I think, that does some steady strengthening of my arms and shoulder muscles which were so weak before, it is getting better. I don't feel ruined for a day afterwards and nothing got strained. My tendons are getting more flexible too and that is so important when you have fibro stuff going on. I feel almost normal, lol, if I even know what that is anymore.

:thumbs:

Found some potted meat for protein, got a couple chicken vienna sausages and 50 cent cans of barbeque meat..... I need it sometimes for keeping blood sugar balance good. I will go back for more, they are handy and can go in my pack if need be as well for preps. A change from just tuna and sardines.

Got a doo dad shelf with hooks which would come in handy for some of my small stuff I want on the wall instead of all around where I sit since I have no room for a side table here. During the day and evenings. Probably hang my glasses , lol. I need to hang the shelf later.

Edited by sassenach

ah, the medium pants fit good. Hurrah! Oh, found out there is a mobile vet in Plattsburgh that will come down here , hurrah, can get my cat seen for a good look over and shots next month! Gotta get her preps done too! No going out in the cold then to get it done in a very tedious fashion. Female vet, who is reasonable costing. Sounds like she is a kind soul. Not many of those around any more!

The most important prep of all.......getting as healthy and strong as we can be! Good for you, Sass!!!!!

We use a mobile pet vet. We find the charges are more reasonable especially when they don't have to maintain an office as well as the mobile unit. We've been real happy with ours.

We're doing some vehicle switching.....again. Van has battery problems - and it ain't the battery. That would be easy to solve. So I've been walking the mountainside again for the past week. :( [Koa has been behaving beautifully ...providing a PULL while I'm walking UP ] :cheer: ......So, going to end up with a different vehicle at least until van can be reasonable worked on.... :scratchhead:

Um....how did we get all the way thru Nov. and INTO DECEMBER ALREADY? :tapfoot:

MtRider :blink: ....I must have missed the memo :sigh:

Edited by Mt_Rider

Started my Christmas shopping at a plain people's store...hand made soaps and then I started an alpaca fiber neck scarf for one of our friends for Christmas. Also started one for MrWE2 :-) Worked at the Roost again today and we're finally beginning to see daylight ... floor space! LOL Once everything is truly "out" then the insulation & sheetrocking will begin. Maybe next year we'll be moved in? :pray:

goofed and had to call amazon to change to new card used for purchases but ordered more glucose test strips and one pair of skeins for another pair of socks and placed a 1 box order of canned goods and that Uncle Bens Wild Rice you basically heat up with a dash of water in the pan and eat. I like it. I had extra left over from last month and so I am ordering more to add to my preps for the months ahead and it really could be eaten if I have to stick stuff in BOB and vamoose for a while, from the bag it is in. It doesn't mess with my blood sugar levels much like white rice would.

My main prep though, was getting a couple pair of jeans again, which are really NOT winter weight... and two sets of cheap sweats and one pair of sweats in leggings style, which I actually like better and will see if I can get more. Wide legs in pants make me trip!

Started Abby's training on the treadmill this morning (after Mommy already did hers) and she did WONDERFUL! First only a step or two until she slid back onto the porch floor, then several steps and to the floor, and then actually walked about 10 steps once she figured out that she had to keep walking to get her mouth on the horse treat (carrot/oat) in mommy's hand :-) In winter time it's hard for us to really get some exercise and to take her out for frisbee etc., so...it just stood to reason that letting her watch us on the treadmill and then using treats to encourage her to walk on it would be our ticket! A tired Abby is a good Abby :-) We're both very excited to see her reach a pace that will work off some of her excess energies. Part of prepping (to us) is keeping our bodies (both human and canine) as healthy as possible. Woohoo for Abby! LOL

Started Abby's training on the treadmill this morning (after Mommy already did hers) and she did WONDERFUL! First only a step or two until she slid back onto the porch floor, then several steps and to the floor, and then actually walked about 10 steps once she figured out that she had to keep walking to get her mouth on the horse treat (carrot/oat) in mommy's hand :-) In winter time it's hard for us to really get some exercise and to take her out for frisbee etc., so...it just stood to reason that letting her watch us on the treadmill and then using treats to encourage her to walk on it would be our ticket! A tired Abby is a good Abby :-) We're both very excited to see her reach a pace that will work off some of her excess energies. Part of prepping (to us) is keeping our bodies (both human and canine) as healthy as possible. Woohoo for Abby! LOL

This post is useless without pictures of our Abby Girl! :wub:

hmmm, got my prime pantry box and I would swear there is twice the tuna cans I actually ordered. I won't complain, lol. Worked a little more on my life water filter pouch of cotton yarn. My fingers are sore on the skin near the nails..... so I only knitted for a couple hours and have been busy with other things today. Got all the other stuff I ordered too, I think the UPS guy wanted to be done really fast and that UPS was trying to deliver before the Nor Easter Snow storm and slick roads got nasty since it is a combination of icy sleet and rain and snow layers , and yes it did start early! So, putting more lotion on my hands seems a good idea. So I did.

oh my , it is snowing to beat the band out there already. It wasn't supposed to really start up til later tonight like this. anyone want to place bets it will be 14 inches or more? ( If this keeps up it will. ) .

oh, and diced green chilis, which I like on eggs and meat and quesadillas and such........ there were way too many in the box. I need to go look at my invoice online, lol. Maybe I did double click the tuna and chili's ?

Made another trip to plain people's store and picked up the making's for some "flu soup" that I want to quart up & keep in the frig...cabbage, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon sticks, lemons, and some course ground pepper. (only the bold underlined is boiled & strained for it's medicinal broth). The lemon etc. are added before drinking) Forgot to pick up some vodka & whiskey (in the tiny little bottles) to add to the drink when we need to drink several cups of it. MrWE2 has never drank any of it so I told him "you absolutely will NEVER get it down if you don't put some lemon, honey & a squirt of vodka/whiskey it :-) Picked up 2 cases of quart canning jars (thought I had some at the Roost but had used them all) and some more self-seal lids and more 2-piece lids & rings. Also picked up some Kava-Kava and several other useful herbs for the winter months. Some peppermint, spearmint and mint teas too :-) We just enjoy the minty-taste of these teas in the winter. They were out of camphor oil so will check our local health food store for some of that and some peppermint oil.

WE2 I still remember my barracks roomie and friend giving me hot tea, lemon, honey and whiskey from a tiny bottle in the barracks my first year in the navy. When I had a bad cold or flu. It did help ease the aches and pains and get some good fluids in me at the time. I keep thinking I need to stock up on some for preps. I don't drink it much at all, but its good for that or a pain emergency if there is nothing else and such. Never could stomach it straight . I prefer brandy for a tad of relaxation if I am of a mind, but that is rare too. Still, its also a disinfectant, either one. At this point , food and such has filled my cupboards in the kitchen . :)

Even beer can settle my stomach at times. LOL. Good beer that is. None of that around either, right now. LOL. It's easy to forget when its not regular around the house.

I bought a capsule making machine thing. I got the small size. It came with 1,000 empty capsules. I like the smaller caps. They are about the same size as an Advil capsule. I think I want to make some of my own herb supplements. Probably turmeric, cinnamon and mints. Maybe cayenne pepper. I think I read that I wasn't a good candidate for the pepper. I don't remember why. Maybe because of my high blood pressure? I need to do a lot of research on herbs and teas yet. I could grow some of my own, dry it, pulverize it and make a capsule.