MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Jeepers

Glow Sticks

I want some glow sticks sticks. I've been looking around but can't seem to find any locally. I'll admit I haven't looked very hard yet. I'll try the sporting good store if I have to. Probably more expensive there. I imagine I'll see some with Halloween around the corner. Anyway...

I saw this on line and found it interesting. It says:

Chemical light sticks are inexpensive. They range in price from $.65 to $2.00 a piece. There are two types of “glow sticks”. “Novelty” and “Industrial”. The novelty type are less expensive and usually last anywhere from 1-6 hours. The “Industrial” or “Safety” type light sticks start around $1.10 each and last about 12 hours. These obviously will last longer than the novelty type light sticks and are brighter. Light sticks are sold in a foil wrapper which keeps them fresh longer. They should stay in this wrapper until ready for use. Glow Sticks are great to have around during power outages. They can be used as a comfort item or night-lights for children. They are also a great source of light during a gas leak when the use of a flashlight could ignite the gas vapor and cause an explosion. Glow sticks are available in several colors. One might assume that “White” would be the brightest or longest lasting color. This is not true, in fact white is at the bottom of the scale for both brightness and duration. The brightest and longest lasting color is Green followed by Yellow then Orange. Blue, Purple then White are at the bottom of the scale.

Bolding mine.

I would have bought white. :rolleyes:

http://iwillprepare.com/index_files/Preparedness_Made_Simple.htm

I've got a REALLY old one. Mebbe I should 'sacrifice' it for a test????

Tomorrow....when I get up really late cuz I'm on here too late tonite.

And I would have said white and yellow! :unsure: Are they sure????

MtRider :mornincoffee:

Did Ya know that inside the 'tube' there are two Chemicals, one in a little vial inside that you 'break'. When they mix you get the 'glow'

How cool is THAT!

It also depends one what like you get as the 'cheaper' ones use less so the glow is less.

Yes, Halloween time is a great time to get the ones on 'cords' as they sell as a safety item.

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I see them at the dollar store from time to time. They have them out now for Halloween. Hey Mt. Rider I have a couple that are probably 4 or 5 years old. I'll see if I can find them and test them out.

Green is the best for long glow times, and for light you can see with. Your eyes are very sensitive to green light.

I am pretty sure Walmart carries them, but gosh only knows where in the store you may come across them. They tend to sell them with Halloween supplies for the novelty types. I had two , one is still in its pkg in the daypack I would grab if I need it... the other one I tested recently one night when I was feeling jittery and didn't need lamp light on but needed something and this bedroom is quite dark at night so I tried a green one and it lasted at least several hours because I know I was tossing and turning. It was comfortable for me mentally at that time and not too obvious, which could be important if I have to hide in green forest.

I am glad you posted the technical information above and how long they last depending on novelty or industrial.... and I think different colors or needs will tell me which colors to get. White might be handy in tents at night. I don't have any to test, but they are sturdy and for a certain time amount, they are more reliable than flash lights are because there are less mechanisms and power of batteries that can get ruined easily with accidental drops and can be hung even on very light materials like tent walls and that frees your hands and can give you overall light enough to tend to things that may need to be done at night.

Also the green light was soft.

Yellow may help not attract bugs at night. I live in a very buggy place here and even in the desert there were still swampy areas near some posts and I remember the bug zapper was always loaded with bugs and moths evenings and at night.

For me I want red and orange but more for emergency purposes like if I need to be found, but generally the green and yellow lights and maybe even the purple might be better for 'quiet , no see um routines' . I would like to test more colors out and see what one gets. Red may not be visible either but I am not certain at all when I think of it now, at night because special forces use red filters at night , or originally did to disguise themselves better than using a white glaring light. Purple may exhibit the same properties in dense cover like I have in the woods here if need arose as green lights do, because its complimentary to green and rather dark ( maybe?)

Good to test them all and see what you get , how far away you can read a note or instructions on something or a map for directions and orientation in the dark.

I think the budgeting of them is something some of us may have to be careful about, so we may want to be specific if we have a choice. I will look at what can I use them for and for general lighting needs. They certainly seem a safe item even for small children and the novelty ones come with a plastic string to hang around their neck or tie onto their clothing or in a tent, on a branch hanging over a work area, whatever and wherever, very convenient.

They are so much safer than candles and oil lamps etc for night lighting. Very handy item. They are comfortable for me visually because I have a hard time anyway with bright lights and the glare from them. Compact and evidently more durable, getting tossed around in my day pack for almost a year? Thats an important test too I think. I was really surprised it would still work.

I think the first ones I ever saw them used was as a parachute rigger ( air crew survival equipmentman) in the navy over 22yrs ago, so they have been around quite a while and time has proven they are an excellent choice for safe lighting when needed for basic stuff or emergency first aid and such without the awkwardness of a flash light only unless it's for specific bright light needs. As far as things go, it is a good item by the boxful for preps I think. They give you a lot for a small amount of money. I know you can order them by the color on amazon. I have seen that. They are ready to use as well, if moments count. Great buy!

Edited by arby

Basic greenish yellow ones are available all year in any camping department of Walmart or it's like.

For a time, you could get some half-size ones.

One thing to remember - there is no ON and OFF button to these. Once they are on, you'd have to bury them in your pack if you needed things dark for any reason.

Also, they are JUNQUE once the chemical reaction is over and they've gone dimmer, dimmer, gone. :blink:

But in certain circumstances, they can't be beat. Totally waterproof. (even ocean salt is ok) We used them on campouts and night kayaking two decades ago on Maui. ...er, I think one I have might be from that time period.

MtRider [....how do you rotate supplies/equipment that you don't have a need to use for twenty years?? <_< ]

Just visited Emergency Essentials and 6" green, 12hr glow sticks are on sale for .99 each.

edited to add: All colors on sale - blue, white, orange, yellow, red, green

http://beprepared.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_CL%20S100_A_name_E_Green%206%20Inch%20Lightstick%20-%2012%20hours

That's an October sale item so don't wait too long if you're interested.

MtRider [....who, unfortunately, is not associated, nor profits from EE..... :yar: ]

Edited by Mt_Rider

I bought some a few weeks ago from a seller on Ebay. I bought the yellow ones, though I wanted white! I guess I'll be buying the green ones next time... I wanted the glowsticks because the grandkids are a bit wild and don't really know how to behave around candles. I haven't tried them yet, though I did give two to my 22 year old daughter who is a budding prepper.

This is the seller that I bought mine from:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Pack-Yellow-Safety-GLOW-6-Inch-LIGHT-STICKS-12-Hour-/370550261484?_trksid=p3911.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D2%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D3618467886293383827

I also noticed that they also carry some that are 15 inches long and float:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Pack-Green-GLOW-15-Inch-JUMBO-Light-Sticks-FLOATING-/370548519277?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item564669b16d

I have always bought them at the dollar store. A few weeks ago WOOT had them as their daily special. I think I paid $7 for 12 double packs of assorted colors.

I see them at the dollar store from time to time. They have them out now for Halloween. Hey Mt. Rider I have a couple that are probably 4 or 5 years old. I'll see if I can find them and test them out.

I pulled out a Coleman Ilumistick that I've had about 4 or 5 years. The expiration date was 3-09. I snapped it at 10 pm last night...it's still going strong...and the green really does light up the room.

Arby, I was thinking the same thing about not lighting up the entire room. Sometimes a soft glow wouldn't draw as much attention. Also the safety feature around children who may need to go from one room to another.

Actually, I think I'd rather have the cheaper shorter lasting ones for my needs. Just a dim night light for emergency bathroom visits or letting a dog out and back to bed etc.

Good to use incase of a gas leak too. I never thought of that one. Will keep some down by the furnace.

I pulled out a Coleman Ilumistick that I've had about 4 or 5 years. The expiration date was 3-09. I snapped it at 10 pm last night...it's still going strong...and the green really does light up the room.

Thanks for sacrificing your glow stick for the cause. :D

Glad to know the expiration date is just a suggestion.

*** OK, did you know to make them last longer (after you break them) put them in the freezer so you can use them more then 1 night.Not as bright but more for the money.

They do make great 'nightlights' when hung in a tent - so they would make GREAT 'nighlights' if the power goes off.

here we use the garden stack solar lights for that. :thumbs:

OOOPS! - forgot to add we saw them all over the place with the halloween stuff yesterday.

I wonder IF they will go on sale with the rest of the holloween things next week?

Might get a good deal that way?

Since you mentioned the bathroom..... mine is dark as a pitch dark night and nearly as bad during the day , turning on the light is an irritation and the lighting sucks, for power outtages or other emergencies or even a night with the flu, it would be a comfort to snap one into action and leave it hanging..... its the fan, its old and very noisy and probably disturbs my neighbor every time I turn it on because I can hear his too.

I think the green or blue ones would be great or yellow just to have handy for that. So I will make sure when I order them for emergency use to include some for a box under the sink or a few in a container on the back of the tank which is right by the doorway and I can reach them.

I am also realizing of all things my cat has a difficult time seeing in the dark here even with some street lamp light from the parking area light pole out side.... which is weird for a cat but she has a problem seeing tiny items in my hand like those little treats you can give them even with lights on so I think she has vision problems.

She tends to do her running games when the place is lit up too or at least if I have a DVD in my little tv in the bedroom, and shes not doing her running games if I do not do that at night. It gives her enough light to feel safe to go into her running route game combined with lamplight or the the lamplight from outside combined with the tv's works ..... wow... well.... I finally realized something was going on with her eyesight. Shes maybe a year or so old too and it may be progressive. Well we will just adjust because I have seen where she is also very upset when I move an object she is used to being in one place. I certainly will get her eyes checked but as long as she has some sight, shes ok and she does not go outside. She was considered healthy by the vet and had just had her neutering and all her shots about two weeks before I adopted her but I will call the vets office and see what they say. I would certainly want to make sure it won't involve other health problems, say like diabetes that needs immediate attention of course, but even these glow lights may be adequate to make her feel comfortable too and they really don't cost that much.

Shes my family so I can accomodate her as much as I am able to and this is not something really expensive for now.

Obviously cat's are supposed to have great night vision but shes having problems in day light too so something is not right.... the glow sticks being safe like they are seem like a good solution , and the glare doesn't keep me awake either.

with electric costs and wear and tear on the tv which is the only other DVD player, maybe thats a good answer for this situation and its quiet too :happy0203:

my kitchen is dark too..... lol. and in a power outtage its a real problem seeing anything in there, especially at night, so it looks like thats an excellent idea for that room too.... bigger need for these than I first thought. :whistling:

Its nice to know you can freeze them..... which bears thinking since I could end up having to be outside in winter ..... so if I used them then.... maybe wearing them on the string around my neck and tucking it inside my shirt to keep it from not freezing might be a good idea to counter the fact they will freeze, when its not needed. ( This is also how you can keep a water bottle from freezing if you need water to drink) .

My neighbors dog is acting the way your cat is. The vet said she has cataracts. She is a pretty old dog so I don't think they are going to have surgery on her. She sees well enough in the day light just not so good at night.

Miss Macy the cat is only a year old. As long as there is nothing like diabetes we can just have to make some little adjustments for her safety and comfort I think, other than that she seems fine for her age and very enthusiastic about life and even me! LOL . Shes great company and she likes me alot, sweetens me up when I am grumpy too. ( Better company than most partners I ever had so far! ) We're good buddies!

Well it's time for me to sort out old pants and a few pair of slacks. Have a pile here I need to go through. :grinning-smiley-044: At least the landlady is letting me store give away stuff in the empty apartment for now. Just bag or box it and she will have someone take it out down stairs for me or take to the thrift shop ( they finally opened one in this town btw).

At Walmart, in the toy section, are some glowsticks, with the el cheapo toys. They are $1.00 each. I have used them to fill out party goody bags or a bag of small gifts for a kiddo. I can buy a glow stick, a slinky, and a paddle ball or punch balloon, plus a bag for it all to go in, for $5.00 or so, so I will do that for bday parties when money is tight.

I think Oriental Trading also has them, certainly around this time of year.

http://www.amazon.com/Solar-powered-LED-Flashlight-w-Keychain/dp/B000X9BF3E/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1383101255&sr=8-9&keywords=keychain+LED+flashlight

I bought several of these instead. I also have several of the yard light solar lights that can be brought inside for constant light in the evening during a power outage.

ARe those of good quality, CGA? They'd be way more useful than glow sticks yet, do not have open flame. One of two things I like for safety.....especially with children. The second thing I like is being waterproof, but doesn't look like this one advertises that.

But...what's with the reviews that say the solar aspect is a scam? That the wires are not connected from solar panel to batteries which are CR2025..... ?

MtRider - very great idea if the quality is there, tho might be more than one dollar... :shrug: