MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Prepping for $20.00/wk

Hi everyone.

I’m going to resurrect the $10.00 and $20.00 per week prep threads-I think they would be really useful with updated prices and links to products.

These will be based on the food calculator here, and are for my family of six-two adults, one 12 year old boy who eats like an adult, and three kids at home. I’ll build for that core group first.

A note on this: I fully believe that you can’t prep to your best advantage if you are not home canning and/or dehydrating. If you don’t have a canner and/or dehydrator, put aside half of the prep budget each week to buy them. Or do it with your IRS refund if you get one. Seriously. It will save you a LOT of money in the end and enable you to be able to prep with food your family is comfortable with.

Preps listed here are assuming a canner/dehydrator, and will be based on my preps for the week. Your mileage may vary. Your needs may vary. Your situations will most likely definitely vary. But it’s a place to start. I will also be posting based on sales that I find in my area, so if you’re coming along and reading this, keep that in mind. If you want to go exactly by the list, put aside the money for items purchased on sale (will be noted) and wait for them to go on sale in your area.

I’ll be starting with a goal of three months’ worth of food. I’m using the excel sheet here to help plan. Why reinvent the wheel? I will be adding my three month food list when I get it done so you'll have a starting point.

The basic needs for my family for three months, according to the food calculator, are these:

457 pounds of grain

69 pounds of legumes

34 pounds of dairy products

69 pounds of sugars

7 pounds of leavening agents

7 pounds of salt (including soy sauce, boullion, etc)

34 pounds of fats

168 gallons of water (only a two week supply, a long term solution will be needed and implemented into the prep plan)

The food calc doesn’t count veggies or fruits as part of the caloric intake. We will be including veggies and fruit on the prep plan.

Instead of just buying 69 pounds of dried beans, we will be planning for specific meals that can be done with prep friendly foods and canning/dehydrating/buying what we need to make those meals. I’ll be using a lot of the recipes at Mrs. S. to get us there. Again, your needs are going to vary. If you raise your own animals, you may not need to stockpile powdered eggs, but you may need to stockpile feed for those animals to get through winters.

We’ll be starting with the First 100 to Disappear list. As more and more people are becoming prep minded, and more and more people are concerned about the links between what is happening in this country and what has happened in others pre-revolution, we will see these items being harder and harder to come by. We will ignore items like generators. They are great to have for short term situations but running them long term is not feasible, for many reasons, fuel storage being one of those.

We’ll be assuming no power for freezers, and the need to use camp fires, wood stoves, or propane, for long term cooking needs.

We’ll also be assuming that everyone is well armed. If you’re not, that needs to be a priority, ASAP. Beg or borrow guns. I won’t advocate theft here-that’s what The Edge forum is for. I’ll be going through all prior posts for suggestions and recommendations on water filtration systems, books you should have, woodstoves, etc. to put it in here as part of the prep plans.

The Good Lord knows I will leave something out. If you see something that needs to be included sooner than I’ve put it on the plan, please, by all means, post about it.

If you have a question, please, by all means, post it.

If you can do this better, please, by all means, PM me and ask to take it over. CGA’s post about a lifetime supply of food has really lighted a fire under the butts of some of us here, given the current economic and restless situation. This NEEDS to be done. I have the time to do it, so I’m offering to do so. But one of you may be able to do it better.

Mo7

Edited by MommyofSeven

Week One

4 Gallons of Water $1.29, $5.16

1 Binder to Keep Prep Lists in $3.00

1 Small Propane Cylinder to fuel my propane heater or camp stove $4.50

2 Cans Tuna in Oil $.82, $1.64

2 Boxes Strike Anywhere Matches $1.00, $2.00

1 Box 20 Count Black 30 Gallon Trash Bags $3.68

Total $20.08

Edited by MommyofSeven

Week One

4 Gallons of Water $1.29, $5.16

1 Binder to Keep Prep Lists in $3.00

1 Small Propane Cylinder to fuel my propane heater or camp stove $4.50

2 Cans Tuna in Oil $.82, $1.64

2 Boxes Strike Anywhere Matches $1.00, $2.00

1 Box 20 Count Black 30 Gallon Trash Bags $3.68

Total $20.08

Thank you so much, because I'm feeling overwhelmed and the other list was great, but prices are so different now. Thanks for taking the time to share with us!

Thanks for doing this Mo7. We are basically starting over from scratch and this a good way to do it. I'm tempted now that we have money coming in to just spend as fast as I can to fill the shelves...I did that the first time I started out on this journey....but I ended up buying stuff we really didn't need. Do you mind if I post what I buy?

Thanks for doing this Mo7. We are basically starting over from scratch and this a good way to do it. I'm tempted now that we have money coming in to just spend as fast as I can to fill the shelves...I did that the first time I started out on this journey....but I ended up buying stuff we really didn't need. Do you mind if I post what I buy?

I would love it-not everyone has the same needs that we do. And I prep with the sales, but I want this list to be kind of timeless, so putting in that I bought veggies for the dehydrator because they were on sale is, well, not timeless LOL.

Plus it helps others to determine their own personal priorities if they can see what other folks determine to be priorities.

Glad y'all are finding it useful.

Mo7

Mo7,

First of all, thanks for resurrecting these threads-- I included this list as part of my grocery list last night. My prices were a bit different, but it was close enough for government work, lol!

Second-- I'm an occasional blogger over at theconservativetreehouse.com . I know many of our readers are interested in preparedness topics. Would it be okay for me to repost these lists (with some of my own commentary), of course giving credit to you and linking back to these threads?

Thanks again!

• 8 months later...

I would start by doing inventory, then preparing menus (including snacks) for a month's rotation of meals, cooked as you normally would cook them. Then I would try to get 3 months worth stored, except for the things you normally buy fresh that cannot be frozen. See what you need to do if you cannot buy those things. For instance, you cannot buy lettuce ahead as it doesn't keep and cannot be frozen. Maybe you can plant a tiny garden or you can buy sufficient frozen veggies that you can substitute for salad. Be sure all the frozen stuff gets rotated before it gets freezer burned. Stick with the menu for at least a month then make changes to suit your family.

Then I would do a menu for a month's worth of meals that would use long or medium term storage food such as grains, dry beans, canned or dry veggies and fruits. Don't forget desserts and snacks. Then start to put back enough for 3-6 months. Just work your list. Watch the sales and if something on the list is on a good special, stock up on that first.

Shop around for your long term things. I occasionally find stuff at walmart, HEB (grocery) or on Amazon that is cheaper than the preparedness places. You may also have a co-op available to you or do as I have done and find someone that is doing a group order from Walton Feed and have a large order brought on the pool truck. I also make heavy use of a local food salvage.

Food first! You have to have those calories and vitamins. Other things can be worked around and improvised, but if you don't have the groceries nothing else is going to matter much. (Water is nearly free, so you can do that without worrying about the budget if you store tap water in recycled containers.)

If you do not can, you do need to learn. I have 4 pressure canners, only one was purchased new. Look in thrift stores and on ebay. Home canning can literally save your bacon! (Well, they probably frown on canning bacon, but it can save your other meats. LOL) I try not to let too much can-able stuff accumulate in the freezer. If the grid goes down, you can lose everything in that freezer.

Be as flexible as you can in your longer term storage. Tastes change and sometimes diet tolerances change. So if possible get a larger variety than you use now. Experiment! Get used to using stuff and make sure you can cook it right and stay healthy.