MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MommyofSeven

Long Term Water Purification

Hey all,

I'm looking at long term water solutions. We do have water somewhat near us-we would need to haul it but that could be achieved. We have both a pond and a river. In a perfect world I will be sinking cisterns and storing water there, but for the long run I will still need to purify water.

I'm looking at the Berkey systems and wondering how long their filters last. Anyone know? We are a family of six, plus critters.

Thanks

Mo7

I was just looking at youtube at homemade ones last night that used the black berkey water filter. They said, if i"m not mistaken, one filter processes 3000 gallons of water. Some neat ideas on how to do it yourself. I'm going to make one as soon as I can save enough money to buy the filters alone.

http://www.monolithic.com/stories/a-practical-life-sustaining-water-filter

http://www.buyactivatedcharcoal.com/product/activated_charcoal_powder/hardwood/1500

Put a cloth bag of activated charcoal in the bottom section and change it occasionally to remove any pollutants that get by the ceramic filter. The charcoal can be "recharged" in the oven a few times. You need charcoal on hand anyhow.

I've thought of making a large cistern with the pvc tarps from billboard tarps. You can use them to line a hole or make a support with cattle panels. These tarps can be patched with pvc glue and an extra piece of tarp cut from an end.

I have several berkey filters in stores, along with designated water-buckets for building a filter. After that, a slow sand filter (Hesperian has directions in their water booklet) and solar distillation if sources are compromised.