MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

Kroger limiting coupon usage...

Cat

Kroger is changing their coupon policies nationwide to limit "extreme couponing".

“Our new policy affects all customers because of the behavior of a few,” Elliott says. “We want to encourage coupon use or any way our customers can save money. It’s part of their total shopping experience. There’s a fairness principle here.”

Here are some of the highlights of the new policy. Kroger reserves the right to:

-- Limit customers to no more than five paper manufacturer coupons for the same product in the same transaction.

-- Limit one manufacturer coupon (paper or digital) per item purchased.

-- Allowing manufacturers’ coupons valued at 50 cents or under to be automatically doubled where applicable. Doubling does not apply to: free, Kroger brand or Catalina coupons, retail food store coupons, electronic coupons or items prohibited by law.

-- Permitting only two Internet coupons per manufacturer per customer per day.

-- Not accepting blurry, out of proportion, not properly scanned or any digital coupon that appear to be altered, or any expired coupons.

http://www.southbendtribune.com/business/sbt-market-basket-new-kroger-policy-aimed-at-limiting-extreme-couponing-20111022,0,6326189.column?track=rss

Which is kind of ironic because Kroger family stores are all over the Extreme Couponing show.

Most of these are reasonable.

One coupon for item purchased-well, yes, any other use is fraud.

Their double coupon policy is reasonable-and in fact generous, given that many chains are not doubling at all.

Two internet coupons per manufacturer per day is also reasonable, since there is a limit on how many you can legally print.

Blurry etc coupons is also reasonable. There are a lot of people "making their own" coupons out there, and this is an attempt to stop that.

The only part I don't like is 5 coupons per item per day. I may not like it, but I understand why they are doing it. Shelf clearing is a big issue since this show (most people don't realize that the items in the show were pre-ordered), and the stores are getting complaints when sale items are out of stock. I don't blame them.

Mo7

I'd love to have these conditions at stores around me. I used to live in an area with a Kroger and we had 2 other chains that would also double coupons and they all had super double and triples about once a month so I could really stock up. (I never cleared shelves, although I did lock up a cash register with too many transactions one time. Who knew you could only have 300 on an order and each item, coupon and doubling of it counted as one each. :sEm_blush: ) Since we moved 5 years ago I've just about given up coupons. There's no Kroger and no other chain that doubles anywhere near. With the manufactures coupons often requiring the purchase of several items per coupon, I found store brands were most of the time cheaper.

I did notice in the wording of the 5 coupon limit it says per transaction. If you really wanted more you could always take your first 5 to the car and go back in.

I'm not sure I like the 2 printed coupons per manufacturer per day. Does that mean if you have 1 for Grands Biscuits, 1 for cinnamon rolls and 1 for pizza crust all from Pillsbury that you'd have to pick the 2 you want to use?

Good for them!

as stated above, most of the things they are now doing has been the way most stores around here have been doing it for years.

We can't even use internet coupons as too many people have found ways around making multi copies as well as changing the amount on the coupon.

Again a few have messed it up for those of us that play fair.

I wish they would show how the people on TV 'save' up to make one big shopping trip "WHEN the cameras are on"

NOBODY can have that many 'free' and 1/2 off coupons week to week - come on people , think about it?

:AmishMichaelstraw:

Yeah it was really just a matter of time. I asked about getting leftover coupons from the Sunday paper at work, and and we actually aren't allowed to give them away anymore. Apparently someone dressed up like they were from the paper and said they were there to pick up the leftover Sunday papers...:busted:

Yeah it was really just a matter of time. I asked about getting leftover coupons from the Sunday paper at work, and and we actually aren't allowed to give them away anymore. Apparently someone dressed up like they were from the paper and said they were there to pick up the leftover Sunday papers...:busted:

...................... see what I mean. It is a whole new world out there people!

:AmishMichaelstraw:

I can't blame them(Kroger). There are always people who abuse things and ruin it for everyone else.

I wouldn't dream of clearing a shelf (unless it was already nearly empty when I got there).

I agree. Every company has the right to make their own rules.

I shop at a local chain that usually has better sales than the "big guys", but you use their tracking card to get that price. It's a choice I make. They often have limits, like the good price only is good for two. So I can choose to go back as many times as I like, just buying two each time. They don't mind that, and if I'm going by the store anyway, it's no big deal for me.

I think it's good that Kroger is trying to make their rules clear to everyone, everywhere. It helps everyone.