MrsSurvival Discussion Forums
CrabGrassAcres

A different 20$ a week plan

Yup. Started hearing footsteps this past spring after I read the free book I got on Kindle Terri Blackstock's "Last Light." (not free anymore though :( ) Ever since I've started either seeing more signs or paying more attention. I had an ad for a book at the beginning of a running music podcast for a post EMP book a couple of days ago. I've met a new and good friend since the 1st book that is a prepper. The Mississippi River flood which I believe actions taken in the aftermath were a part of teotwawki (or maybe I'm starting to get paranoid). And the list goes on, including finding this forum while looking for dehydrator recipes for DH & DS's backpacing campout.

Edited by windmorn

:unsure: ...footsteps.... :blink: Yeah, kinda like that! ;)

In all seriousness, we can all trigger each other and wind up :cheeky-smiley-067: so we should try not to do that. But I'm personally choosing to PUSH right now.

CGA--PM me the errors [give me the post # too] and I'll edit them. I'd rather get them fixed in case someone doesn't realize there's a problem. THANK you for doing the 'printer friendly' version!

MtRider [...gotta hook up printer to laptop this afternoon...]

CGA--what about buying and storing seeds? We used to garden all the time but it has been a while. I have some ideas but you are more educated in this than I am. Please share as many of your thoughts as possible.

Week 3:

1 bag of deer corn $10 , 1 person, 1/3 #/day, 500 calories/day 50 days. (total, 100 days of grain).

1 bottle, 48 oz corn oil, $5, 1/2 oz per day, 120 calories, 96 days for one person.

1 bag, 5# sugar, $2, 60 calories per day for one person for 60 days (4 level teaspoons). (Total 120 days of sugar.)

Week 4: Repeat week 3.

Week 5:

You should have 25$ to spend if you saved the 2.50/week from previous two.

25# whole wheat flour $25 1/3#/day for one person 500 cal/day 75 days

You now have 275 days worth of grain (500 cal)

180 days of sugar (60 cal)

192 days of oil (120 cal)

160 days of beans (185 cal)

Total calories 965/day. Not nearly enough!

This would be about all most people can handle a day of this, but some can go double on the portions without problems. In that case cut the days in half or double the amounts you buy.

To be continued!

Your prices have me wondering if mine are an accurate representation in the other thread.

25 pounds of whole wheat flour can only be purchased in 5 pound bags here-at almost $6 a bag.

5 pound bag of sugar is around $4.00

Pinto beans are more here, too, which is kind of surprising considering that we are a predominately hispanic area. I would think there would be more demand, thus more supply, thus lower price.

I see Christy is seeing the same issues.

Mo7

CGA, deer corn we don't have here. And the quantities of the bags. Heaviest we could get is a 3kg bag of rice. All other things are 1kg or less.

Christy, don't they sell whole shelled corn for animal feed? That is all deer corn is.

I guess a lot of folks don't buy in bulk over there but shop frequently.

CGA, deer corn we don't have here. And the quantities of the bags. Heaviest we could get is a 3kg bag of rice. All other things are 1kg or less.

Christy - I used to buy bulk in Scotland. I don't have my Halifax receipts anymore but the British company was fast and not too expensive. I do remember that the dollar and pound worked out about the same. One dollar equated to one pound on purchases, even though it was close to two dollars for one pound exchange rate at that time. :happy0203::-)

Time allowing I'll go to the animal feed store. I've bought ground maize there in the past and it was really animal feed. A bit too much dirt in there for human consumption unless you'd be really starving. And ground, not whole. We don't have a large hunting community here and feeding is done by foresters.

Some horse grains were deemed unfit for humans as well.

Colorado is usually quite high for prices and quite low in salaries. We looked into health care workers in the states around us and...aiieeeee, we picked the wrong state! DD came from Hawaii, ready to shop and ship home. Left disappointed cuz prices were about the same. :o We had a lot more variety than on Maui but no real price difference. :( I've heard it called "Beauty Tax". sheeeesh!

Sugar last week at Safeway: Allegedly $3.50 before sale. Markdown $1 for sale/coupon. $2.50....four pound bag. Price per oz. for 10# bag was far worse. 25# bag not to be found.

I was delighted by 20# bags of rice [Asian Calrose type] for a markdown of $13+change. The long grain was still $18 for...uh, was it 10 or 20#. { :banghead: canNOT remember numbers.. sorry }

And the tortillas that I'm not buying anymore were $11 for three 8-packs. I just made 12 tortillas for pennies yesterday. So no more of that.

MtRider

Christy, I won't buy ground maize to eat from the feed store. No telling what is in that. I get whole shelled corn and wash it. If you put it in a bucket and put water in, slosh it around and pour the water off, you will remove the dirt and chaff. Then let it air dry. Don't ever let it soak. If you do it at a reasonable pace, the corn won't absorb the water.

Mt_Rider, that is an insane price for tortillas! Last time I bought any they were around .99/dozen. Admittedly, that was quite some time back.

One of the reasons we are in the position we're in now. Chiro wages in CO are pathetic compared to other states in this region. All health care here is badly paid. The next lowest is WAAAY above us. Yet...the price of living is high. :yar: One more reason to get the heck outta here.

But that's why I'm so thrilled with the tortilla dough that cooperates with me. :cheer: Step by step, I have to reclaim what I can. With so many prices doubling :shakinghead: no one is going to make it without some drastic changes eventually.

MtRider [...need restock on oats [groats or oatmeal] and black beans that DH finds acceptable....]