MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

manual can opener suggestions

Sorry if this has been addressed somewhere else, but I couldn't find it. I need a new manual can opener. I've gone through 3 in the last couple of years. Does anyone have a suggestion for one that will last? It's bad enough to fight one when things are good, much less if things get bad.

I've used the Swing-a-way kind for years.... :shrug:

But I have stashed those bitty military kind [P59 ...or some such] in BOB's and everywhere too. They leave a jagged edge but in a pinch, they are FAR safer then using a pocket knife or a rock in desperation. :feedme:

MtRider

Thanks everybody for the tips. I'm quickly realizing this is another thing they just don't make the way they used too. :/ I think I've bought one at least every other year and my parents still use the one they've had all my life. DH even bought me a Kitchen Aid brand one that didn't make it 6 months. :/ I don't have anywhere to put a wall mounted so I'm going later after the heart walk to look at one I saw at world market that looked fairly sturdy. It cuts the seam of the lid instead of the inside of the lid. I had one similar before and it lasted the longest. I'll post later what I find.

Edited by windmorn

I got one similar to the pampered chef one. I got a Swiss made Kuhn Rikon. http://kuhnrikon.com...ols.php3?id=206It feels pretty sturdy and was very smooth when I tested it when I got home. I just home the little wheel that makes it goes around the can lasts. That part seems to be the part I have trouble with.

Edited by windmorn

The type that leaves no jagged edge where the whole top lifts off are great but they will not open my #10 size Shelf Reliance cans so I have to use another type for those cans.

The type that leaves no jagged edge where the whole top lifts off are great but they will not open my #10 size Shelf Reliance cans so I have to use another type for those cans.

LOL - because it takes two of us to open one of these using the wall mounted one!

BUT I can take it off the wall and you can open cans on the counter as well as give it a good cleaning.

Ours is mounted on the side cabinet next to the sink and it 'swings' out so you can use it then 'swings' back out of the way.

wonder if that is why they call it a "swing-a-way" can opener? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

:AmishMichael2:

• 5 months later...

Thought I'd give an update, the can opener is still working (knock on wood) and DOES open 10# cans with no jagged edges and the seal still goes back on! :woohoo:

Here's a link to the one I got. I think I'm going to get a back up one in case they quit making them. http://www.worldmarket.com/product/index.jsp?productId=10755975

I've been happy with the OXO as well - it just feels good in my hand. Has some heft to it. At some point, regardless of the quality, the cutter will dull. So maybe it is a good idea to have a couple of them.

The little surplus military ones aren't the best, but they are cheap enough to tape one to every case of cans.

Edited by Gunplumber

I never could use an electric can opener. I think I've had about all of them over the years and none of them work well for me.

If you have wrist pain or weakness this one is a good one. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ratchet-Can-Opener/15080405

I got mine at Crate And Barrel but now Walmart sells them. It works like a ratchet. Instead of twisting a turner thing, you push the stick back and forth. (:gaah: I can't think of a darn word today!)

Anyway...it works great especially if you have any wrist issues. I can't really speak of the durability because I don't use it all that often. It is sturdy though and I've had it a couple of years. Lots of cans now have a pull top lid. I like mine so well that I have one I use and 3 more in reserve! My son about cut a piece of his finger off with a twist type can opener so I got him one of the ratchet types and he loves his too.

Edited to add:

I read the reviews from Walmart's site and two hated it and 2 loved it? Perhaps the Crate and Barrel one is made different. They look identical though.

Edited by Jeepers
  • 3 weeks later...