MrsSurvival Discussion Forums

I am DONE - Keys are Turned In! ! !

Crazy4Canning

So, my dad finished getting stuff out of the garage and returned keys yesterday. He was shocked the carpets were so clean. I hired Stanley Steamer. They were a chunk of change but they got up stains I didn't even know were there.

We opted to pay the money for a Safeway thanksgiving this year - $40 for a turkey, spuds, gravy, dressing, cranberry sauce, and rolls. We're adding some green beans, a salad, and relish tray. Oh, and it came with pumpkin pie. It's enough to feed 6-8, so that will be enough for the 4 of us and leftovers. I'm making a pumpkin cake roll (from the Libby's pumpkin label) and that will be the holiday. I'm so glad to not mess with a turkey....:feedme:

Yesterday I had a "day of beauty". :darlenequeen: My nails were shot from all the cleaning, so I had a manicure and pedicure. I got my hair done - I had to because that smell was still there. I now feel "beautified" and me again. I'm so grateful that nasty smell is out of my hair.

Today I did a couple of errands and ran my parents' paperwork by social services. I was able to chat with my friend who works there and we made plans for Christmas Day.

Then, my husband drove me for 2 more errands, we were home at 3 and ended up taking a nap :sleep1:. . . . for 3 hours. :ashamed0002: I 'm realize that it's okay that I'm exhausted but with the rest, I'm better able to face the disaster that is my own home - the piles of laundry, bags of my parents' things that need washing, and boxes of canning from my parents' house that are in the kitchen that have to go into the basement. By the end of this weekend, my house will be clean and I will be on top of things again.

I contacted my professor and told him the truth - that for the past 3 weeks he's been out of the country, I was consumed with helping my parents move. He was understanding, but again reminded me of my deadlines. I must say that I now have a deeper understanding of what miracles can take place in a short amount of time with help. This whole experience has motivated me to finish and become DONE with my professional work. If I can find a place for my parents, move them, consolidate their stuff, and clean the old place inside of 4 weeks, I think I can finish my dissertation this year. :pc_coffee: With the help of G-d of course, and some friends. :)

I have to say - the main disaster during the move was someone backing into my car. I drive a humble car - a 98 Chevy Metro that is pushing 230,000 miles. What made me mad was that it was a "hit and run" and no one left info. The damage done to the car exceeds the value of the car. It honestly isn't worth fixing. Since the ding (which folded the left front bumper and fender), I've noticed a lot more rattling, odd noises, and weird sounds. Something tells me I may be getting a different car soon.

I can not thank all of you enough for your ears and hearts and advice. It was one of the 'lifelines' that got me through this difficult time. I'm so grateful.

Many hugs & thankful prayers!

:grouphug:

:bighug2::bighug2::bighug2::bighug2::bighug2:

Great job! :woohoo:

Since Mom's death in august, we've been trying to deal with a houseful of "stuff". It's been a nightmare.

I finally went into the basement with a flashlight to check out what canned goods I have to get rid of. I got the "store-bought" stuff under control, but found (probably) hundreds of old, some rotted, home-canned foods that she spent hours canning and then didn't USE. :shakinghead: She canned so she could brag and complain about it, but then found it much more fun to snack or go out to eat.

I have one heck of a job ahead. But on the plus side, I get the jars... :happy0203:

Well done, C4C. You took on a seemingly overwhelming job, busted it into bits and carted those bits away. I am in awe of your strength and perseverence, as I am sure your family is. You should be proud as well as grateful that it is done. Happy Thanksgiving! and sit back and rest a bit now....

I am reminded of the lyric to the Helen Reddy song, I Am Woman:

I am woman, hear me roar

In numbers too big to ignore

And I know too much to go back an' pretend

'Cause I've heard it all before

And I've been down there on the floor

No one's ever gonna keep me down again

Oh yes, I am wise

But it's wisdom born of pain

Yes, I've paid the price

But look how much I gained

If I have to

I can do anything

I am strong (strong)

I am invincible (invincible)

I am woman

You can bend but never break me

'Cause it only serves to make me

More determined to achieve my final goal

And I come back even stronger

Not a novice any longer

'Cause you've deepened the conviction in my soul

Oh, yes, I am wise

Yes, I've paid the price

If I have to

I can face anything

I am strong (strong)

I am woman

I am woman watch me grow

See me standing toe to toe

As I spread my lovin' arms across the land

But I'm still an embryo

With a long, long way to go

Until I make my brother understand

Oh, yes, I am wise

Yes, I've paid the price

If I have to

I can face anything

I am strong (strong)

I am woman

Oh, I am woman

I am invincible

I am strong

I am woman

I am invincible

I am strong

I am woman

I hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, got your house clean, rested and are able to finish you dessertation befor the end of the year. You are a very kind and caring daughter. Just know that you have done a wonderful thing in everything you have done by honoring your parents in this way. Rest in the Lord and HE will give you the strength to get your paper done. Keep updating us and know we are still praying for you.

Archived